• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So many people have Cloud cut on their rosters it makes me sad. Him being gone would be the most disappointing cut for me.
It’s because of what happened to Snake. Everyone is fearful he won’t make the cut. Rightful so, but with Square’s devotion to supporting the Switch, I’d be surprised if he didn’t return.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I see Marx happening as DLC the more I think about it, Marx seems to be loved by HAL due to constantly getting referenced by other final bosses and Sakurai does seem to have a bias towards his own Kirby games. Star Allies showing Marx work as a playable character also made Marx fans gather and raise their voice. I'll be annoyed if he gets in before Bandana Dee though

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
eyy so i finally got roster maker working again so no more of those ****ing bootleg-*** photoshop rosters.

also go to rethink some **** and narrow some focus

so here ya go, enjoy this ****

pretty much the same ****ing system as anyone else out there. green is confirmed in my eyes, blue is very very likely, yellow is pretty uncertain, and red is just dead, so **** it. purple is the wishlist peeps

basically assembled the actual ****ing roster rather than just alphabetic and by area, so it gives a better feel and visual distribution

pokemon rep is a 7th gen starter. if by some strange **** both charizard AND greninja stay then it's decidueye, you can bet ****ing money on it. if either of those two are gone then good ****ing luck.

basically most of the old 3rd parties save sonic get the axe 'cause that's just my feel. hurts to do but i don't see those companies saying yes twice. greninja is super flavor-of-the-month (if he didn't have ****ing protean no one would have given two ****s about him) and corrin was a walking advertisement like roy was

the clone group i see as a suicide pact, if one gets cut they all get cut, if one comes back they should all come back

there you go
BUBSY OVER MEGA MAN? EEVEE?
ANTHONY? NOT RIDLEY OR SYLUX?
HOLD ON, HOLD ON. TORIEL OVER BAYO?

All I can ask is why? Why these picks? Why cut Bayo and Mega Man? Why not Sylux?

This roster is 2/10

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I haven't followed Smash Bros. very closely since Brawl. How do they typically reveal the newcomers leading up to the game's release?
Depends. As time went on it became more elaborate with Brawl doing blog posts (with trailers for Sonic and Snake) and 4 doing Trailers for all new characters (Well, Lucina nd Dark Pit had to share but that aside).

So far all we've got is a teaser so we don't know what they'll do this time.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Are y'all really flaming TheSpitefulWolf over wishlist picks? He clearly stated that the purple outline characters were wishlist characters. I don't think the rest of his roster is very likely, but when you flame someone over their hopes and dreams you make yourself look bad.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Are y'all really flaming TheSpitefulWolf over wishlist picks? He clearly stated that the purple outline characters were wishlist characters. I don't think the rest of his roster is very likely, but when you flame someone over their hopes and dreams you make yourself look bad.
Anyone you put on a roster, realistic or not, is open for criticism.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just to spark up new conversation, how many of you are doubtful of Wolf returning in Smash (or at least on the base roster)?

I ask this because Zero didn't sell particularly well, and I'm not sure if Sakurai would even prioritize Star Fox enough for it to get a newcomer or an old veteran back. If Wolf ends up in Smash again, I think it'll be through DLC like Lucas and Roy.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Just to spark up new conversation, how many of you are doubtful of Wolf returning in Smash (or at least on the base roster)?

I ask this because Zero didn't sell particularly well, and I'm not sure if Sakurai would even prioritize Star Fox enough for it to get a newcomer or an old veteran back. If Wolf ends up in Smash again, I think it'll be through DLC like Lucas and Roy.
I think he's the most likely cut vet after Ice Climbers, but even then I feel his chances are pretty up in the air

Cin726

Smash Cadet
Wolf should be back. I won't play the veteran card here, but Super Smash Bros. has a notably small roster of villain characters, so cutting one is quite irritating. If Star Fox only has two reps, I would happily cut Falco for Wolf for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
IMO the fact that Star Fox Zero even exists heavily raises Wolf's chances to return. I also really hope they pull the designs of all Star Fox characters from that game. Never been a big fan of Fox's Command-look. Wolf even has material for his own Final Smash from Zero, namely the "Lightning Tornado".

Last edited:

Cin726

Smash Cadet
IMO the fact that Star Fox Zero even exists heavily raises Wolf's chances to return. I also really hope they pull the designs of all Star Fox characters from that game. Never been a big fan of Fox's Command-look. Wolf even has material for his own Final Smash from Zero, namely the "Lightning Tornado".
I hate Wolf's look in Assault/Command/SSB Brawl. Should the character come back in SSB Switch, I hope they take inspiration from either Star Fox 2 (like Project M did) or Star Fox Zero. Either of those are far superior designs.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't think Star Fox Zero's sales will prove a huge detrimental to Wolf's chances, a lot of designs and characters have been changed to match games that weren't all that successful in the past, we've even gotten newcomers like Ike and Zero Suit Samus who's games sold around the same amount as Zero did. Sure, he'd be more likely if it had been a success, but I still expect the Star Fox cast's designs to be changed accordingly, whether Wolf follows is a bit of a 50/50, but it wouldn't surprise me a great deal.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Hopefully they ditch those goofy clown shoes from Brawl/Smash 4 and keep it 1 to 1 with Zero.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

He didn't even make it in as DLC despite no external factors stopping him. I don't believe for a moment he's coming back at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, I think that the scouter looks better on Wolf than an eyepatch; it looks more high-tech, and suits a space mercenary more.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Anyone you put on a roster, realistic or not, is open for criticism.
Open for discussion, sure. Personal attacks for characters that someone likes, though? That's a little far.

I'm not accusing you of that, I'm just saying that it's really not cool.

However, lets look at your criticism.

"BUBSY OVER MEGA MAN? EEVEE?
HOLD ON, HOLD ON. TORIEL OVER BAYO?"

The all caps doesn't help differentiate these sentences from infantile screeching. Now, lets look at the characters you talk about. Yes, all of them are outlined in purple on his roster. This means he does not think any of them are necessarily likely characters, he just likes them. Dream characters, if you will.

So your next question "Why these picks?" Is already answered, if you had more closely read the post you were responding to.

If I made a roster with my dream characters, it would also look absurd. I don't think it's in any way likely, but that isn't the point.

Last edited:

Cin726

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think that the scouter looks better on Wolf than an eyepatch; it looks more high-tech, and suits a space mercenary more.
I'm of the opposite mind. I prefer the old-fashioned look of an eye-patch, scarf and leather jacket. Part of my issue with the Brawl design is it's way too tech-y and busy-looking. The design philosophy behind him is almost completely different than that of his Star Fox counterparts. He doesn't look like he comes from the same game as Fox and Falco, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm of the opposite mind. I prefer the old-fashioned look of an eye-patch, scarf and leather jacket. Part of my issue with the Brawl design is it's way too tech-y and busy-looking. The design philosophy behind him is almost completely different than that of his Star Fox counterparts. He doesn't look like he comes from the same game as Fox and Falco, if that makes any sense.
Star Fox is a sci-fi franchise about animals in spaceships having dogfights. If anything, the eyepatch would make him look like he comes from a different series.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He didn't even make it in as DLC despite no external factors stopping him.
That's not really an argument. You don't know if they didn't wanna over do DLC or if they were saving Wolf for the next game because they knew they'd have to redesign him along with Fox & Falco because of Star Fox Zero. So there'd be no point in making him once just to have to make him from scratch again shortly after.

Just because they don't bring back every single veteran for DLC doesn't mean anything.

I don’t think they need to update much with Star Fox characters.

Well maybe making them more fuzzy but not too much design wise.
What are you talking about??? They look completely different now.

You do realize there was a new Star Fox game. Right?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Yeah that's pretty much what I think as well. I think Wolf might have a chance of being base roster though it's more likely that he's DLC. He's the kind of character they would want to sell as DLC anyways.

IC's however I can see on the base roster or even DLC as well. It would be something if IC's were the Melee vet this time around and Wolf was the Brawl vet similar to :4lucas::4feroy:in Smash 4's DLC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I can't believe the discussion this has devolved into. We're complaining about Wolf's (sexy) design in Star Fox Zero,Talking about how Star Fox Zero's sales somehow are relevant to his inclusion, And worst of all we're talking about cuts and DLC when he haven't even seen so much as a screenshot of the game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Star Fox is a sci-fi franchise about animals in spaceships having dogfights. If anything, the eyepatch would make him look like he comes from a different series.
I guess I can kinda see where he's coming from. I always envisioned Wolf as this laid-back mercenary who thinks he can get the job done with his skills alone. All the high-tech equipment and sharp spikes he wears makes it seem like he takes his job way too seriously.

That's not really an argument. You don't know if they didn't wanna over do DLC or if they were saving Wolf for the next game because they knew they'd have to redesign him along with Fox & Falco because of Star Fox Zero. So there'd be no point in making him once just to have to make him from scratch again shortly after.

Just because they don't bring back every single veteran for DLC doesn't mean anything.
Honestly, that argument doesn't make sense either. Why in the world would Sakurai hold off on Wolf for a future Smash game because of a design change? If anything, it'd make more sense to include Wolf in his outdated design and promote the upcoming Star Fox Zero than it would for Sakurai to wait two and half years later when the game is old news.

Cin726

Smash Cadet
Wolf's situation is just frustrating.

-He shows up in the intro film in Melee, but isn't playable.
-He shows up as a playable character in Brawl.
-He's then cut from the roster in Wii U/3DS.
-He's not included as a DLC character.

The sequence of events almost reads like Sakurai included the character in Brawl due to perceived demand, but he otherwise just doesn't care much for the character. It's too bad because I've wanted the character since Melee. Can't seem to catch a break. lol

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I would like to see Wolf return in the base roster, but won’t be mad if he’s DLC. Smash games should always prioitize on newcomers (and just the must-have veterans like Mario) initially, and then venture to other veterans. DLC is a good solution for time constraints.

For all we know, Wolf could have been planned as DLC for Smash 4 after having the fan-favorites of Melee (Mewtwo, Roy) first and then moving to Brawl (but only managing Lucas before prioritizing on the 3rd parties and ballot). So, just unlucky.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Crap now Gooey and Rick look super good...

This DLC thing is Kirby got me catching feelings.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Wolf returns, I would think as a DL character.

Focus on new characters and updating veterans included in Smash 4.

Downloads allows the developers to dip into a pool of cut characters and bring one, a couple or more back.

Characters that had that treatment down before, should be lower priority such as Roy and Lucas.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Even if you divide that term into two complaints (don't want anime, don't want swordsman) . .. Those two complains are still absurd since Smash Bros never have that much swordsman character or anime characters.... Even if there are they have to be Video game characters and that's what they were designed, such as Fire Emblem and Xenoblade franchise gets a bit panned for bring either nich or just anime.... Which is OK if it's just personal opinion, but I really hope those naysayers should at least put their opinion aside at least once and go try out the games and understand why those franchise are actually decent.

Even Corrin I don't really see get cut though, yeah still there is a possibility, but like I said I don't want any Smash 4 character get cut.
I'm not even trying to say I think Corrin will be cut.

I'm saying, hypothetically, if Sakurai listened to those people and cut a character based on those complaints, Corrin would be likelier to go than Shulk or Cloud, because Corrin was the source of the grand majority of the people's complaints.

For the record, I view Corrin as being fairly safe (my opinion is that the likeliest FE character to be cut is Roy). I don't think Fire Emblem Switch was far enough along in development at the time Smash 4's roster was decided for them to pull a Melee Roy with FE Switch's protagonist and put him/her in Smash 5. As the most recent original FE protagonist, I don't think Corrin's a very likely cut.

If anyone's interested in seeing my actual stance on what characters are likely to be cut, click on the "2" in my sig. I have a full list detailing my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I don't think Zero's sales would necessarily hurt Wolf's chances to return, rather, I think it may help him. For one, it's a fairly recent installment in the franchise, so he has relevancy on his side. Even with the lower sales taken into account, there's also the possibility of Sakurai wanting to show the series more love to help it, or if Nintendo directly asks him for more.

One big thing is that Star Fox Zero was developed by Platinum, who Sakurai has worked with before, and I'm sure they would appreciate having more of their stuff in the game. He could show Platinum some love bu using Zero's voices, character designs, stages, and music. Just look at the Orbital Gate Assault stage, which was based off the Namco Bandai developed Star Fox: Assault.

Wolf has a pretty fair shot at making it in on the base roster, but if he doesn't, than I can see him being one of the first DLC characters as a "safe pick". Though my mindset with Wolf, as with everything, is "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Burb

The Absolute Worst

I think Wolf is the second-likeliest cut veteran to return (#1, of course, being the Ice Climbers, who I think are guaranteed unless technical issues arise to hold them back yet again).

However, I don't think his chances are quite as good as people seem to think. I felt the same way during the DLC period of Smash 4. I do think Zero helps his chances even in spite of its low sales (there's plenty of worse-off franchises that people seem to think will be getting new characters, or in some cases, will be getting a playable character for the first time), but he was still near the absolute bottom of the priority list for Brawl, and the fact that he was cut in the first place suggests the same was the case for Smash 4. I don't see that changing.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Open for discussion, sure. Personal attacks for characters that someone likes, though? That's a little far.

I'm not accusing you of that, I'm just saying that it's really not cool.

However, lets look at your criticism.

"BUBSY OVER MEGA MAN? EEVEE?
HOLD ON, HOLD ON. TORIEL OVER BAYO?"

The all caps doesn't help differentiate these sentences from infantile screeching. Now, lets look at the characters you talk about. Yes, all of them are outlined in purple on his roster. This means he does not think any of them are necessarily likely characters, he just likes them. Dream characters, if you will.

So your next question "Why these picks?" Is already answered, if you had more closely read the post you were responding to.

If I made a roster with my dream characters, it would also look absurd. I don't think it's in any way likely, but that isn't the point.
In retrospect, I could have wrote it better and I apologize. I was short on time and I was typing my initial reactions.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Don't get me wrong, even though I think Zero's sales aren't helping Wolf's chances, the relevancy is definitely there, and relevancy is one of biggest factors when it comes to the roster.

As far as timing goes, Zero was released close to six months before the date we speculate Sakurai started on Smash 5. If Nintendo is unsure about the future of Star Fox, I could see why Sakurai might give the series a little push by bringing back Wolf (or at the very least, giving the cast a major overhaul like he's presumably doing with Zelda).

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Star Fox goes for another character, I hope they go for Andross with a body.

When the only characters from a series share the same base specials, the series has a smell of stagnation.

Time to Make Starfox Great Again. Include dictator ape.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Why do we think sales really affect a characters chances of getting into smash? Do we have concrete proof that a game selling well has gotten a character into smash yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom