• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ok, I just was playing Kirby's Dreamland 2, and I was thinking how cool Rick the Hamster would be in Smash. I think Rick would make a great 5th Kirby character in smash, after Bandana Wadle Dee.

Maybe the other animal buddies would be in his final smash? idk.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
My opinion on the Champions being made playable:
I guess that there are more recurring characters (Impa, Ganon, Tingle) or just outright more iconic characters (Skull Kid), that could be included.

But when you think about it, putting the Champions in can make sense. Kind of like how Sheik was included back then (sure she's more iconic though). I don't outright support the Champions (even if Urbosa and Revali are amazing) and I do think putting them inside BOTW Link's moveset is a bullseye way to represent them, they being playable wouldn't be a weird idea imo. Tho the biggest question would be WHICH? idk which one is the most popular

and about they being less prominent in the future... That's for the future, that doesn't mean they can be included now to be cut later anyways? Or idk they can get a Sheik-level of iconic status in the future? And think of Fire Emblem, even though only protagonists were included so far, they all come and go in one or two games, and if they get more appearances or popularity in the future honestly that's often because of Smash exposing them more. That's time to tell. idk not a fan of talking about Smash 7, 8 when we're at Smash5/6 :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
For the record, I've never agreed with the "anime swordsman" complaints, nor have I ever used it in the past.

All I meant was that, if those complaints somehow managed to result in a character getting cut (which is ludicrous, but, hypothetically speaking, IF it were the cause of a cut), I don't think it would be Cloud and Shulk. It would probably be Corrin.
Even if you divide that term into two complaints (don't want anime, don't want swordsman) . .. Those two complains are still absurd since Smash Bros never have that much swordsman character or anime characters.... Even if there are they have to be Video game characters and that's what they were designed, such as Fire Emblem and Xenoblade franchise gets a bit panned for bring either nich or just anime.... Which is OK if it's just personal opinion, but I really hope those naysayers should at least put their opinion aside at least once and go try out the games and understand why those franchise are actually decent.

Even Corrin I don't really see get cut though, yeah still there is a possibility, but like I said I don't want any Smash 4 character get cut.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Having Marx in the game would be awesome. My First Kirby game was the remake and i really liked him as a boss. That reminds me, I should try and fight his soul again.

In the discussion of cuts, i'm not a big fan of them, but we did have them in the pasts. DLC characters and some of the FE characters I can see getting cut.

Edit: i meant 3rd party characters not DLC

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So in this interview Sakurai says that if Fire Emblem Awakening had come out 7 months after Smash for 3DS/Wii U started development that Robin may not have made it in. https://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

That kind of makes characters introduced in 2017 and forward seem significantly less likely, doesn't it?

I also find this quote quite interesting.
it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.”
Smash fans seem to think otherwise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So in this interview Sakurai says that if Fire Emblem Awakening had come out 7 months after Smash for 3DS/Wii U started development that Robin may not have made it in. https://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

That kind of makes characters introduced in 2017 and forward seem significantly less likely, doesn't it?

He also said had it come out seven months earlier they also might not have received a character. Do you believe him there?

I take all of Sakurai's words with a healthy dose of skepticism, and look at what the actions say instead. Let's see where FE ends up with this title.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Oh awesome, there's quotes about this. I never thought a FE16 character was likely bc of the base roster of Smash 4, but everyone else said otherwise and I didn't feel like arguing with them.

He also said had it come out seven months earlier they also might not have received a character. Do you believe him there?

I take all of Sakurai's words with a healthy dose of skepticism, and look at what the actions say instead. Let's see where FE ends up with this title.
That's really interesting, actually. Basically said that without the specific timing, there wouldn't have been a character at all? Do you have a source to this particular statement? I'd like to see the full interview if it exists.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I don't see why Sakurai would feel the need to lie about that.

Oh awesome, there's quotes about this. I never thought a FE16 character was likely bc of the base roster of Smash 4, but everyone else said otherwise and I didn't feel like arguing with them.

That's really interesting, actually. Basically said that without the specific timing, there wouldn't have been a character at all? Do you have a source to this particular statement? I'd like to see the full interview if it exists.
It's in the same interview I posted. Here's a snippet.

Interviewer: But that means Awakening’s release schedule was pretty fortuitous.

Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's literally in the same sentence as the first claim, you'll find it in there.

It may have launched under fortuitous timing, but the latter part of that claim throws the whole thing into doubt imo. As if the game wouldn't have been represented had it released eight months earlier. I think the window is a bit more forgiving than that, in both directions, especially since there is precedence of Sakurai both taking from future titles, and designating a FE slot before deciding the character.

I don't see why Sakurai would feel the need to lie about that.
Because insinuating that should the game have come out in 2011 instead of 2012 it would've lost its chance at representation makes no sense. That methodology stands opposed to the inclusion of every newcomer without a game release the same year as the roster was created.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
On the topic of Ninten: He's still one of my most wanted characters, and he has the potential to be extremely different from :4ness:.

First off, Ninten would have his bat out all the time, and he'd use it for multiple of his attacks.

Second off, Ninten would only use support PSI for specials. I doubt Lucas or Ness would change to only using their own PSI, but Ninten would be more loyal to his game, which would make him more unique in turn. His moves would deal with altering the stats of both him and his opponents.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't really care the characters are likable I'm just not sure why they would be in Smash given the game's nature.
The thing about them is that they're not only third party, but also Indie.

Indies have never had a good run as far as playable Smash characters go.

On top of that, we know that if a third-party character is to get into Smash, with some few possible exceptions, they need to be "legendary".

Sans is popular as heck today, but he's a far cry from the long lasting icons of gaming like Sonic or Pac-man.

From SourceGaming themselves, not that Sans is more likely than say the average third party.
The fact that Sakurai's played through it is pretty cool!

But yeah, I don't think any Indie characters are likely at all, certainly not Sans. If anyone, I could see Shovel Knight or Shantae possibly getting in, and they too don't have very good chances, imo. Every other non-Nintend Indie character is merely eligible at best.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's literally in the same sentence as the first claim, you'll find it in there.

It may have launched under fortuitous timing, but the latter part of that claim throws the whole thing into doubt imo. As if the game wouldn't have been represented had it released eight months earlier. I think the window is a bit more forgiving than that, in both directions, especially since there is precedence of Sakurai both taking from future titles, and designating a FE slot before deciding the character.

Because insinuating that should the game have come out in 2011 instead of 2012 it would've lost its chance at representation makes no sense. That methodology stands opposed to the inclusion of every newcomer without a game release the same year as the roster was created.
I don't think it's a stretch to say different characters are regarded in different ways.

A character from a series without a character in Smash already probably wouldn't follow this criterion.

If the character has already made several appearances, but not a super recent one they might not follow this criterion.

While this criterion to me makes more sense if it's the debut of the character in consideration from a series (that already has characters in Smash) who's cast of characters changes in each installment.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My opinion on the Champions being made playable:
I guess that there are more recurring characters (Impa, Ganon, Tingle) or just outright more iconic characters (Skull Kid), that could be included.

But when you think about it, putting the Champions in can make sense. Kind of like how Sheik was included back then (sure she's more iconic though). I don't outright support the Champions (even if Urbosa and Revali are amazing) and I do think putting them inside BOTW Link's moveset is a bullseye way to represent them, they being playable wouldn't be a weird idea imo. Tho the biggest question would be WHICH? idk which one is the most popular

and about they being less prominent in the future... That's for the future, that doesn't mean they can be included now to be cut later anyways? Or idk they can get a Sheik-level of iconic status in the future? And think of Fire Emblem, even though only protagonists were included so far, they all come and go in one or two games, and if they get more appearances or popularity in the future honestly that's often because of Smash exposing them more. That's time to tell. idk not a fan of talking about Smash 7, 8 when we're at Smash5/6 :p
Keep in mind that I haven't finished Breath of the Wild yet, but I think I can still raise a point worth noting here.

Sheik was never really her own character in Ocarina of Time. She was apart of Princess Zelda. An alternate form. Her disguise. Her alter ego.. At the time of her debut in Smash, she was still directly apart of Zelda as a transformation D-Special, not a completely separate playable character. Two characters in one overall. It was an opportunity to try something new, and it made sense for Sheik to be apart of Zelda's moveset in her Smash debut since OoT was one of her most recent incarnations. As the series went on, it became more clear that the transformation gimmick was hurting the characters and balance more than helping them, so they were separated, and there was no real reason to cut Sheik at that point when she was an entirely unique veteran.

No other character from LoZ who has gotten into Smash was pretty much a one-shot. We could've gotten characters like Zant or Ghirahim when their games were newer and in their prime, but we never did. I don't see why the Champions would be any different.

It's certainly not impossible for them to get in, but it would be largely unprecedented.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
(Now that I have looked and read the interview...) I don't really think his statement means much of anything here. I can't imagine Awakening would've been overlooked if it came out earlier, especially knowing the impact it's had on Fire Emblem as a series. Makes me think he was just trying to make an ambiguous statement about the topic so we wouldn't know what to think in the future. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it, which is probably the most likely option here.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Then this basically confirms characters revealed in the Jan 2017 switch reveal are completely viable to be in the game. Sakurai ended Smash 4 dev in Feb 2016 and took some time off. 7 months before Jan 2017 would be sometime in June 2016, just around the time dev probably first started.

But thats ONLY if Sakurai didn't ask his dev buddies what they were up to and what characters they had to offer. Hes done it in the past for Greninja and Roy so a new Pokemon Rep and FE Rep seem very likely to get added. Also on the matter of Arms and Xenoblade 2, even if they were revealed in Jan 2017, Sakurai would have known about them sooner since he would have had to start Smash 5 development on Switch a good while before it was ready to release. He was likely included in an inner circle for Switch developers learning to use the console. He probably learned about Arms and Xenoblade 2 during these sessions.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think it's a stretch to say different characters are regarded in different ways.

A character from a series without a character in Smash already probably wouldn't follow this criterion.

If the character has already made several appearances, but not a super recent one they might not follow this criterion.

While this criterion to me makes more sense if it's the debut of the character in consideration from a series (that already has characters in Smash) who's cast of characters changes in each installment.
So you believe Sakurai when he says six months earlier and we wouldn't have any Awakening character in the game? You believe the base FE roster for Smash 4 had Awakening released in 2011 would be just Marth and Ike, then.

This is the conclusion to be had when taking Sakurai at his word on this one.

(Now that I have looked and read the interview...) I don't really think his statement means much of anything here. I can't imagine Awakening would've been overlooked if it came out earlier, especially knowing the impact it's had on Fire Emblem as a series. Makes me think he was just trying to make an ambiguous statement about the topic so we wouldn't know what to think in the future. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it, which is probably the most likely option here.
I would agree. I think the takeaway is Awakening released at a serendipitous time, and that I can believe, but the whole talk of windows of inclusion as related here seems a bit farfetched if literal. I think Sakurai was just trying to drive home the advantageous timing, that would be my interpretation.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't think Cloud is going anywhere. He might, but with Square's strong support for the Switch, I don't see why they wouldn't allow him to come back.
So many people have Cloud cut on their rosters it makes me sad. Him being gone would be the most disappointing cut for me.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Then this basically confirms characters revealed in the Jan 2017 switch reveal are completely viable to be in the game. Sakurai ended Smash 4 dev in Feb 2016 and took some time off. 7 months before Jan 2017 would be sometime in June 2016, just around the time dev probably first started.

But thats ONLY if Sakurai didn't ask his dev buddies what they were up to and what characters they had to offer. Hes done it in the past for Greninja and Roy so a new Pokemon Rep and FE Rep seem very likely to get added. Also on the matter of Arms and Xenoblade 2, even if they were revealed in Jan 2017, Sakurai would have known about them sooner since he would have had to start Smash 5 development on Switch a good while before it was ready to release. He was likely included in an inner circle for Switch developers learning to use the console. He probably learned about Arms and Xenoblade 2 during these sessions.
I think you misinterpreted the quote. A games reveal/development doesn't equal a games release. Also development for this Smash could have very well started before June anyway.

The only exceptions to this have been Pokémon and clones. He even said he made an exception for Pokémon in the same interview. It makes sense that he would make an exception for Pokémon, because of how insanely popular/successful the series is. As for clones, they are just much easier additions to the roster.

But who knows, maybe the process he goes through on deciding characters will be different this time around.
So you believe Sakurai when he says six months earlier and we wouldn't have any Awakening character in the game? You believe the base FE roster for Smash 4 had Awakening released in 2011 would be just Marth and Ike, then.

This is the conclusion to be had when taking Sakurai at his word on this one.
I don't see why not. Sakurai himself said that there isn't a stipulation that says they have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.

Also an important detail to point out is that he said "Robin MAY not have made it in" and "they MIGHT not have even been considered". The possibility of him being added in regardless was still there, just significantly less likely.

I don't know, maybe I just have too much trust in the guy, but until I have definitive proof, I have no reason to believe he was lying.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, given how much impact Awakening had (i.e. saves the flipping franchise and made it so big), I'd find it unlikely that at least one character from it wouldn't make it in, even if dev times were different.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
eyy so i finally got roster maker working again so no more of those ****ing bootleg-ass photoshop rosters.

also go to rethink some **** and narrow some focus

so here ya go, enjoy this ****

pretty much the same ****ing system as anyone else out there. green is confirmed in my eyes, blue is very very likely, yellow is pretty uncertain, and red is just dead, so **** it. purple is the wishlist peeps

basically assembled the actual ****ing roster rather than just alphabetic and by area, so it gives a better feel and visual distribution

pokemon rep is a 7th gen starter. if by some strange **** both charizard AND greninja stay then it's decidueye, you can bet ****ing money on it. if either of those two are gone then good ****ing luck.

basically most of the old 3rd parties save sonic get the axe 'cause that's just my feel. hurts to do but i don't see those companies saying yes twice. greninja is super flavor-of-the-month (if he didn't have ****ing protean no one would have given two ****s about him) and corrin was a walking advertisement like roy was

the clone group i see as a suicide pact, if one gets cut they all get cut, if one comes back they should all come back

there you go

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
eyy so i finally got roster maker working again so no more of those ****ing bootleg-*** photoshop rosters.

pretty much the same ****ing system as anyone else out there. green is confirmed in my eyes, blue is very very likely, yellow is pretty uncertain, and red is just dead, so **** it. purple is the wishlist peeps

basically assembled the actual ****ing roster rather than just alphabetic and by area, so it gives a better feel and visual distribution

pokemon rep is a 7th gen starter. if by some strange **** both charizard AND greninja stay then it's decidueye, you can bet ****ing money on it. if either of those two are gone then good ****ing luck.

basically most of the old 3rd parties save sonic get the axe 'cause that's just my feel. hurts to do but i don't see those companies saying yes twice. greninja is super flavor-of-the-month (if he didn't have ****ing protean no one would have given two ****s about him) and corrin was a walking advertisement like roy was

the clone group i see as a suicide pact, if one gets cut they all get cut, if one comes back they should all come back

there you go
This is a joke post right?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
eyy so i finally got roster maker working again so no more of those ****ing bootleg-*** photoshop rosters.

there you go
One, stop with the constant swearing. Aside from the stars making your posts hard to read, it just makes you seem childish.

Two, Bayonetta is owned by the same company as Sonic. If they're getting Sonic back, it seems likely that they'd try to get Bayonetta as well, especially when you consider how she got into the game in the first place.

Three, Capcom, Namco, and Square have all had consistently good relationships with Nintendo (unlike Konami, which burned its bridges with the entire industry), and it seems rather unlikely that they'd drop all of those famous, beloved characters in favour of Bubsy.

Four, Adam Jensen is owned by Square-Enix; there's no way that he'd take priority over Cloud in anyone's mind.

Five, people figured that Lucario would be dropped for Smash 4, since he was just seen as the flavour of the month. Look at how that turned out. (Also, by my understanding, Greninja's consistently been one of the more popular Pokemon, which is enough of a reason to keep him around)

Also, Birdo, Eevee, Anthony Higgs, and Blanca seem like completely random choices; they aren't well-known, and they don't have a great deal to work with.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No other character from LoZ who has gotten into Smash was pretty much a one-shot. We could've gotten characters like Zant or Ghirahim when their games were newer and in their prime, but we never did. I don't see why the Champions would be any different.

It's certainly not impossible for them to get in, but it would be largely unprecedented.
But here's the thing. Aside from Impa and Tingle, what other major character who's not already in Smash is likely to appear in future Zelda game? If we continue to go along with this "we already have all the Zelda characters we need" logic, then Sakurai might as well tell us that he's never going to add another Zelda character in Smash.

The Champions might not have much of a future in the Zelda series, but that doesn't mean they can't be in Smash because of it. I mean, just look at FE. All of the six FE characters in Smash made one or two appearances in the main series before they were banished to an eternity of spin-offs. How are they any different from Zelda characters? "Well, it's different because a lot of FE characters returned in the main game through DLC and amiibo." Yes, and many popular Zelda characters had costumes and equipment Link could wear in BotW. Isn't that the same, or does the character have to appear in-person before it meets the imaginary criteria we've made? "Heroes was very successful, and all of the old FE characters appear in it. I think they're more important than they used to be." And almost every popular Zelda character appeared in Hyrule Warriors. Again, that's not really different is it?

Honestly, both series are handled the same. With the exception of Link, Zelda, and sometimes Ganon, all the major characters from the Zelda games are used once before they're scrapped from the main series forever, just like FE's characters. Yet somehow, people have drawn the conclusion that the "new characters who won't ever be used again shouldn't be added in Smash" rule should only apply to Zelda.

If you're still not convinced, think of it this way. The newest Zelda character on the roster is Toon Link, who first appeared almost 15 years ago. The longer Sakurai waits on a Zelda character, the more awkward the roster is going look. Better he add someone now when we have a critically-received Zelda game as the newest entry in the series rather than later when we have a so-so title as the latest Zelda game.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
One, stop with the constant swearing. Aside from the stars making your posts hard to read, it just makes you seem childish.

Two, Bayonetta is owned by the same company as Sonic. If they're getting Sonic back, it seems likely that they'd try to get Bayonetta as well, especially when you consider how she got into the game in the first place.

Three, Capcom, Namco, and Square have all had consistently good relationships with Nintendo (unlike Konami, which burned its bridges with the entire industry), and it seems rather unlikely that they'd drop all of those famous, beloved characters in favour of Bubsy.

Four, Adam Jensen is owned by Square-Enix; there's no way that he'd take priority over Cloud in anyone's mind.

Five, people figured that Lucario would be dropped for Smash 4, since he was just seen as the flavour of the month. Look at how that turned out. (Also, by my understanding, Greninja's consistently been one of the more popular Pokemon, which is enough of a reason to keep him around)

Also, Birdo, Eevee, Anthony Higgs, and Blanca seem like completely random choices; they aren't well-known, and they don't have a great deal to work with.
:4bayonetta:'s still no guarantee, and she doesn't have near the ****ing punch that :4sonic: does. hell, half this ****ing forum exploded into saltbombs when it was revealed that she was the last one, and we still have conspiracy theorists sayin the ballot was rigged. polarizing as ****

also third parties ain't gonna stay forever man. you really think square went all-in on :4cloud: like sega did :4sonic: or even capcom did :4megaman:? come ON, they dragged their feet so hard the wii u still has the sneaker skidmarks on the memory card. i'll admit that :4megaman: and :4pacman: have BETTER CHANCES, but sonic's the only one i'm willing to put any money on, i just don't see the dlc as returning crews. not unless they bleed us for dlc again, and are you really okay with a $30-40 extra price tag on top of the game there?

i'll admit the :4greninja: cut is equal parts salt and equal parts making room for a 7th gen starter. but also, like i said up top there homeboy, if :4greninja: stays AND :4charizard: stays (and :4charizard:'s got much better odds that the froggo), then the newbie's gonna be decidueye, no ****ing joke. also i'm gonna keep saying that if :4greninja: didn't get protean revealed then we'd be talking about how delphox's ear-fur is too ****ing long in smash.

really now? birdo's not well-known? been around since mario 2, and is just as ****ing valid as waluigi or daisy, if not more so because she could have the random factor that sakurai loves so much (see: :4luigi:, :4gaw:) with egg shots. ditto with eevee. you really can't think of a moveset for eevee of all 'mons? you know, the one with the best Z-move exclusive and also an array of cool moves it can do? could even double-dip for rage+adaptability son. blanca's got a copy-and-deceive game just like AC, and higgs would be a cool contrast to :4samus: 'cause he uses heavier gear than she does, and could have an up-b kinda like :4pacman: except he freezes a platform beneath him instead of making a trampoline, not the craziest **** in the world

i'll straight up admit jensen and bubsy are wishlist bait, 'cause they are, but maaaaan they'd be pretty rad.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
:4bayonetta:'s still no guarantee, and she doesn't have near the ****ing punch that :4sonic: does. hell, half this ****ing forum exploded into saltbombs when it was revealed that she was the last one, and we still have conspiracy theorists sayin the ballot was rigged. polarizing as ****

also third parties ain't gonna stay forever man. you really think square went all-in on :4cloud: like sega did :4sonic: or even capcom did :4megaman:? come ON, they dragged their feet so hard the wii u still has the sneaker skidmarks on the memory card. i'll admit that :4megaman: and :4pacman: have BETTER CHANCES, but sonic's the only one i'm willing to put any money on, i just don't see the dlc as returning crews. not unless they bleed us for dlc again, and are you really okay with a $30-40 extra price tag on top of the game there?

i'll admit the :4greninja: cut is equal parts salt and equal parts making room for a 7th gen starter. but also, like i said up top there homeboy, if :4greninja: stays AND :4charizard: stays (and :4charizard:'s got much better odds that the froggo), then the newbie's gonna be decidueye, no ****ing joke. also i'm gonna keep saying that if :4greninja: didn't get protean revealed then we'd be talking about how delphox's ear-fur is too ****ing long in smash.

really now? birdo's not well-known? been around since mario 2, and is just as ****ing valid as waluigi or daisy, if not more so because she could have the random factor that sakurai loves so much (see: :4luigi:, :4gaw:) with egg shots. ditto with eevee. you really can't think of a moveset for eevee of all 'mons? you know, the one with the best Z-move exclusive and also an array of cool moves it can do? could even double-dip for rage+adaptability son. blanca's got a copy-and-deceive game just like AC, and higgs would be a cool contrast to :4samus: 'cause he uses heavier gear than she does, and could have an up-b kinda like :4pacman: except he freezes a platform beneath him instead of making a trampoline, not the craziest **** in the world

i'll straight up admit jensen and bubsy are wishlist bait, 'cause they are, but maaaaan they'd be pretty rad.
..... This post did nothing to convince me otherwise that your roster is a joke roster and that this is just a joke account

What you say still makes no sense. The only newcomers on your roster that I think stand a chance at all are Spring Man and to a much lesser extent, Doom Guy. And I guess the Pokemon placeholder if you count it.

User was warned for this post
I think the best way to represent the champions is by giving them the new comvos for the game, akin to Palutenas Guidance and Snake's codec
Nice one!

I agree that outside of Assist Trophies this is the best and most viable way to include them in the game.

Boy oh boy wowee

You aren't Best Gwen in disguise, are you?

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not gonna lie, the stuff about Greninja cracked me up because it as least partially true. Not that Protean is the sole source of its popularity (Remember Kecleon) but that it definitely got a big boost from the fact it turned out to be a very good Pokemon to actually use.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
..... This post did nothing to convince me otherwise that your roster is a joke roster and that this is just a joke account

What you say still makes no sense. The only newcomers on your roster that I think stand a chance at all are Spring Man and to a much lesser extent, Doom Guy. And I guess the Pokemon placeholder if you count it.
neat

so, uh, was ridley the correct answer or something? 'cause we have literally a minute-and-a-half teaser to go on right now so it's kinda all in the air and i dunno if i got all my notes and two-hour-long examinations of shadows down pat.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The main reason why Bayonetta's polarizing (aside from her being seen as "overpowered", which can be toned down in future installments like what happened with Meta Knight) is because she was the only character added from the Smash Ballot. If we had gotten, say, Bayonetta and King K. Rool, then the backlash wouldn't have been as severe.

Given the sheer amount of excitement that Mega Man's inclusion generated, I can't imagine that Sakurai wouldn't ask Capcom to bring him back, and much like with Sonic and Bayonetta, it seems to me like Mega Man and Ryu would be a package deal. Even if Namco-Bandai isn't helping to develop Smash 5, I doubt it would take much (if any) convincing to get Pac-Man back in the game. The only one that I'd question is Cloud (given the lack of music and trophies in Smash 4), but that's no reason to think that every single third party character aside from Sonic will be cut.

Greninja was added based purely on its design, before any additional forms were revealed. If that was enough of a reason to include Greninja, then its continued popularity would be more than enough justification this time around.

As for the others, Anthony Higgs ironically isn't all that memorable, in spite of the meme; visually, he doesn't stand out when he's wearing armour, and he's little more than a generic Federation soldier. Eevee is one Pokemon out of over eight hundred - there would have to be really good justification to pick Eevee over the hundreds of other choices, and that doesn't seem to be the case. With Blanca, I'm not overly familiar with Animal Crossing games beyond the DS, but generally, all that Blanca does is let you draw a face for her - she's not exactly filled to the brim with options for moves, and she's one recurring character out of dozens.

For Birdo, I guess it depends on whether you're counting her as a Mario or Yoshi character. If she's a Mario character, then I can think of at least half a dozen characters who would be a more natural fit, or are more prominent. While I get that the Yoshi series could use more than just Yoshi, Birdo hasn't appeared in any of Yoshi's games to my knowledge; it seems like Kamek would work just as well, if you're going for a recurring Mario enemy.

Last edited:

Cin726

Smash Cadet
I haven't followed Smash Bros. very closely since Brawl. How do they typically reveal the newcomers leading up to the game's release?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
neat

so, uh, was ridley the correct answer or something? 'cause we have literally a minute-and-a-half teaser to go on right now so it's kinda all in the air and i dunno if i got all my notes and two-hour-long examinations of shadows down pat.
K. Rool is also an acceptable answer.

Look, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your roster was sincere, but you're not going to convince anyone you're being serious if you type everything out like that. Less curses, more punctuation and capitalization.

As for my opinion on the roster itself. Ehh... It's not very likely to happen, but it's really creative. Birdo is an iconic Mario/Yoshi character that I haven't seen many people bring up. I also think Krystal would be cool, even if she hasn't done much as of late.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Edit: Jesus, this song has 6.9 million views, while the big trailer for Detective Pikachu didn't break 2.
One came out during the Sun and Moon hype train, the other came out in an era where people have largely moved on from the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom