• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Question:
It's been talked at length about how Nintendo could've put out leakbait to catch leakers, right? It seems like most all Insiders knew about Ridley, Isabelle, Simon, some knew about K. Rool. The echoes maybe not, but that's okay.

However, does it not make sense that it's too coincidental that the last bit of Smash info, the final hurrah, is the one that's most divided in terms of what everybody's heard from their sources? It seems that most people had sources that basically lined up and knew what was already revealed, but the last batch of info/characters, that's where the leakbait falls, because every single insider is throwing their hat into the ring with different info, some that agrees with the Grinch Banner, some that doesn't.

Is it worth discussing and/or considering that? If there was fake characters or false info thrown out, it makes sense it would be in the last characters to be shown considering they've probably long-prepared the reveal cycle, and to have everything to show in this last direct coincidentally be the same everything that everybody suddenly can't agree on is too much of a coincidence for me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For the sake of giving visual aid to the "Vergeben's sources confused Matthew for Isaac" argument:
Gs-isaac.jpg

This is Isaac.

6cb6af43ad2c7200c9a7e7bdc9f5d05e.jpg

This is Matthew.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait, NB said they were giving out misinformation? Where did this happen?
Their Japanese Twitter account confirmed that they used misinformation to avoid leaking Tekken 7 characters.

People are using that knowledge to assume the Smash Ultimate team would do the same since some of them have worked on Tekken before.

It's a very broad assumption that could or could not be true.

mjmannella

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
6515-6020-5729
Yeah, the fact that no one knew about K. Rool makes me not put much stock into what any insider source might have to say. We're going to find out tomorrow anyway, so it's not really a big deal, but it always weirds me out to see people say stuff is "confirmed" when it's coming from some anonymous source on a GameFAQs account
I have a theory that King K. Rool was the big "ultra popular character" that Sakurai spent the most time hiding. They also usually don't save the most popular character for last.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Harada does it for Tekken at least.

Harada's been playing that 4D Chess while other companies are still on 1D Checkers when it comes to handling leaks.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm honestly pretty surprised Richter is higher than Simon on the poll.
I'll probably use Simon instead. But you can't underestimate people's Thirst Meter always being maxed out.

Either way, Holy Water for the Heretics. :ultsimon:

NineS

Smash Lord
Their Japanese Twitter account confirmed that they used misinformation to avoid leaking Tekken 7 characters.

People are using that knowledge to assume the Smash Ultimate team would do the same since some of them have worked on Tekken before.

It's a fair assumption if you ask me. Granted, assumptions aren't always safe to make.

I'd assume they all try to do their best to stop leaks or give potential leakers misinformation.
Square Enix most certainly is handling it a similar way, and in some cases in a way similar to how Sakurai seems to have done it at E3. According to Vergeben, and an article on Soulcalibur 6

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
What if Isaac is an assist trophy, and Matthew is playable instead?
How would you all feel?
tbh id would take any of the 3 main characters since they are pretty much interchangeable in terms of move sets and i like all 3 of there designs

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question:
It's been talked at length about how Nintendo could've put out leakbait to catch leakers, right? It seems like most all Insiders knew about Ridley, Isabelle, Simon, some knew about K. Rool. The echoes maybe not, but that's okay.

However, does it not make sense that it's too coincidental that the last bit of Smash info, the final hurrah, is the one that's most divided in terms of what everybody's heard from their sources? It seems that most people had sources that basically lined up and knew what was already revealed, but the last batch of info/characters, that's where the leakbait falls, because every single insider is throwing their hat into the ring with different info, some that agrees with the Grinch Banner, some that doesn't.

Is it worth discussing and/or considering that? If there was fake characters or false info thrown out, it makes sense it would be in the last characters to be shown considering they've probably long-prepared the reveal cycle, and to have everything to show in this last direct coincidentally be the same everything that everybody suddenly can't agree on is too much of a coincidence for me.
This was my thought, too.
For the sake of giving visual aid to the "Vergeben's sources confused Matthew for Isaac" argument:
View attachment 174160
This is Isaac.

View attachment 174162
This is Matthew.
Close enough that someone who hasn't seen Isaac since, like, Brawl could mistake the two.
And I though The Fire Emblem sameface was strong
Well, Isaac and Matthew are Father and Son, they're going to look alike.

*listens to Cat Steven's Father and Son again*

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I can’t see Sakurai making Isaac an AT after all the Fan Demand, Rathalos Pic, and the Mystery Item. If not base, then DLC, but anything other than AT
Seriously. If we look at how the other characters were put in, especially K. Rool and Ridley, Sakurai has DEFINITELY also seen the fan demand for Isaac, Geno and Banjo. There's no way it hasnt. It's his full time job to work on Smash, and this development cycle is about making it Ultimate.

The Grinch 7 make me feel like it's completing a cycle. The end of an Era. Adding Isaac, Geno and Banjo add the 3 most popular remaining characters the fan base has wanted. Adding Mach Rider and Chorus Kids give us a little bit more of that retro and weird vibe he delivers every game with several characters.

The idea that I might be able to unlock Banjo after unlocking Ridley and Snake has me daydreaming about it.

At the same time I'm dreading the first two minutes of this direct. It makes or breaks the whole thing.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
D

Deleted member

View attachment 174160
This is Isaac.

View attachment 174162
This is Matthew.
How insane is it that Vergeben became one the most listened to people in Smash speculation to almost completely BTFO'd.

The Growth item...
That one mention of Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo's press...

THE DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE, BOYS.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think its rather possible considering how similiar Matthew looks to his father that insiders and Verge mistook him for Isaac. Food for thought.

mjmannella

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
6515-6020-5729
I can’t see Sakurai making Isaac an AT after all the Fan Demand, Rathalos Pic, and the Mystery Item. If not base, then DLC, but anything other than AT
Considering that Sakurai put a disclaimer when making Skull Kid's Miiverse, I wouldn't put that passed him.

Also, how do we knew Sakurais's receiving the Isaac demand?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I think the assumption isn't very useful in determining the validity of the banner itself, given it's such a big assumption. However, if one thinks the leak is valid, it does provide a logical pathway to explain how the banner can be real, along with the consensus of insiders as well as some of their contradictions.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
At least Golden Sun HAS a playable rep so I honestly can’t conplain
Matthew and Isaac are pretty interchangable anyway, so either one would make a good rep.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
View attachment 174160
This is Isaac.

View attachment 174162
This is Matthew.
Yep, since Isaac is Matthew's dad and all, it makes sense that they look real similar to one another. The fact that the hair and color schemes also remain similar also makes it harder for some to tell them apart.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
How insane is it that Vergeben became one the most listened to people in Smash speculation to almost completely BTFO'd.

The Growth item...

To be fair, people keep ****ting on Vergeben for being an Asshole or being wrong on others games but...
so far his smash record is perfect, and while blunt and a bit of an ass he's the most honest of the bunch to tell us information-

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
In 16 hours and 45 minutes this will all be over. Every last leak, theory, and rumor will be confirmed or debunked. At long last, this crazy speculation period will end.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Plot twist undertake two is actual leaks and Toby fox was the real insider all along

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

The Growth item...

The press image was done by Inspect Element. People have gone on the site and the mention isn't there.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If Isaac got in I'd like a Matthew Echo like Ritcher. I prefer Ritcher's design over Simon's, just like Matthew over Isaac.
To be honest, it'd be better if it was Isaac and Felix or Matthew and Felix, because Felix is more distinct visually from Isaac and Matthew, while having canonical statistical differences that would justify gameplay differences.

The Big Brain option is Isaac, Matthew as an Alt Costume, with Felix as an Echo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom