• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Take everything you see, hear or read with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So would you rather just have Nintendo forget he exists altogether?

I'm not going to try to shame anyone for being ungrateful nor am I going to pretend that this situation is ideal for Isaac but people take these things way too personally sometimes. It reminds me of that guy in the Mewtwo social who kept saying they'd rather have Mewtwo never come back then have him be a low tier again, since he "deserves better". (Funny how that turned out, by the way.)
There’s no point in him being an assist trophy. Is him being a trophy going to make Nintendo “remember him”? I mean if other Isaac fans are happy enough to see him pop out of a trophy every once in awhile then good for them.

After being cut from Smash 4 and then doing extremely well on the Smash Ballot only to be brought back as a trophy again? That’s just like rubbing salt in the wound.

One of the main reasons I want Isaac as playable is because I’m hoping Golden Sun can become relevant again. Him being an assist trophy doesn’t do that.

But out of like 10 different insiders (who all seem to hold a grudge against the Grinch leak) none of them can figure out anything apparently and are contradicting each other. Vergy isn’t changing my mind.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
For the record, it's vaguely annoying when people say that it's unfair for people to be upset about disappointing final character reveals because "the game already has so much!". Personally, the most important part of a Smash game to me is the inclusion of new characters I like. I don't care about about any of the newcomers they've added so far. They make people a lot of other people, but they aren't making me happy. I have several characters I would like to see added, each one a realistically possible choice for Smash, and none of them look to be getting in. So...yeah.

I feel like I'm justified some salt if the final Direct is as disappointing as it's looking to be.
Not really, you aren't justified. Think about what you are saying, you're angry because a hit video game with a huge fanbase doesn't have a new character catered to you at the moment. Temper your expectations and know that this is still going to be fun a video game even if a favorite doesn't get in. We're going to have a roster of 70 or maybe even more characters and 103+ stages. Getting salty will just bring everyone else down, when we should be celerbrating we are getting a great game.

cothero

Smash Lord
Feeling pretty empty right now. Can't believe after a week of insane speculation and hype Kencineroar might be truly what we're getting.
40 minutes just for Kencineroar and new mode? Let's be a little more optimist here, buddy. Even if Vergeben is right about Isaac, that doesn't necessarily deconfirm the other characters, considering the Grinch leak as true or not.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I just want for my babies to come home... Please, Rayman or Banjo, i need at least one of them getting in

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
If we're looking at the insiders, we're hypothesizing Kencineroar and two unknown characters, with everyone else in the leak taking on some other role.

We're ballparking 4-5 reveals.
A couple of people(I think, at least one) has said that one of the upcoming trailers has two characters in it, from two different franchises. I doubt its Ken, so its someone who can stand toe to toe with either Incineroar or the retro rep.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ya know, even though I'm not picking one side or another in regards to the Grinch "Leak"

It seems crazy how quickly #TeamReal, the "**** INSIDERS" team, is folding as soon as Vergeben, an Insider, says something.
If only he didn't wait until the eleventh hour to share the info...

Imagine how our reputation would have looked!

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Jesus what happened to the mood here? Has anything come out that debunks the grinch leak? Why is everyone acting like the world is ending?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
honestly, the only way i can be excited for ultimate anymore is to hope that somehow these insiders are wrong. not having geno would be another game without the only newcomer ive cared about since snake, and all the other characters like isaac being assists would just bum me out seeing them as assists. i'd hate playing a match against someone and getting an assist for one of these guys and realizing how many people couldve been playing as that character. but even then, i feel like im still setting myself up for disappointment, if bara cat, liquid snake, and blockland are to be believed ;/

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If somehow vergeben ends up being right (I really really hope he isn't and don't think he will be) and we really are only getting one more unique character and an echo, Incineroar will end up being even more hated than Corrin was in December 2015.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Sakurai can never win. Even if the fake leak was not his fault, it'll end up being his fault anyway for "poor marketing" and "not listening to the fans" (while very clearly listening to the fans).

We don't deserve him nor Smash Bros.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
All right this news has officially completely devastated me.

AT'ing Isaac, Geno, and Shadow would be the single biggest ****ing middle finger Sakurai could jam up our *****. IK this is the best Smash game ever but like...I can't even begin to describe my feelings of rage.

**** Vergeben for sitting on this information and now swinging in to kill everyone's hype. Again.

**** the grinch leaker for raising our hopes with an "un-debunkable" leak, only to have it turn out false. Sure it made things exciting but it'll only make us all angrier in the end.

IK I'll get lots of angry messages, people telling me to be calm, etc. I know it's not the end of the world. But this is going to take some time for me to get over. A very LONG time.

Shadow, Isaac, and Geno are never going to be in smash because of this.

Goodbye smashboards, I'll maybe see you after the direct drops, Kencineroar is it, box theorists rejoice, and the smash community is a raging ****storm inferno of salt. Idk why Sakurai has decided this, and why Nintendo's marketed this game so badly. Life's unfair sometimes and I'll get over it. But god damn it hurts.
Geno is still not considered an AT by the insiders. If he isnt in Smash in any shape then he still has a chance as DLC. Do not drop your hope JUST yet.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think this whole THING is big enough to be documented by folks and then used to just cast people out in the future.

Don't harass them when they pop up, but when Smash comes around again remember how you felt during this time.

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
jesus christ, i'm gonna bust a nerve if people keep taking this loser seriously.
this is how you kill hype - let everyone spread baseless information you randomly put out there that literally does nothing but harm the hopes of a certain fanbase.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What happened to the unshakable faith in the Grinch? Don't give up on your dreams just because Verge said some characters would be ATs.

Did the Space Pirates give up because Ridley was a boss again? Did the Kremlings give up on King K. Rool because he was a Mii costume?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wow, loads of salt already. I’m not really banking on anything here, but it’ll be really interesting to see what comes out of this.

But there is one thing - this is the last direct, and Sakurai said that he intended to show the whole roster before release. We’ll probably know the full base roster in less than 36 hours...

paper roxy

Smash Ace
more like the composer had good taste in stolen music
damn, i didnt know tower of power worked with kenji yamamoto to rewrite some of their songs and perform for him just for him to steal tower of power's music!

i was talking about the new tracks from budokai 2, not the budokai 1 tracks. kinda thought the 2 made that obvious

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
All right this news has officially completely devastated me.

AT'ing Isaac, Geno, and Shadow would be the single biggest ****ing middle finger Sakurai could jam up our *****. IK this is the best Smash game ever but like...I can't even begin to describe my feelings of rage.

**** Vergeben for sitting on this information and now swinging in to kill everyone's hype. Again.

**** the grinch leaker for raising our hopes with an "un-debunkable" leak, only to have it turn out false. Sure it made things exciting but it'll only make us all angrier in the end.

IK I'll get lots of angry messages, people telling me to be calm, etc. I know it's not the end of the world. But this is going to take some time for me to get over. A very LONG time.

Shadow, Isaac, and Geno are never going to be in smash because of this.

Goodbye smashboards, I'll maybe see you after the direct drops, Kencineroar is it, box theorists rejoice, and the smash community is a raging ****storm inferno of salt. Idk why Sakurai has decided this, and why Nintendo's marketed this game so badly. Life's unfair sometimes and I'll get over it. But god damn it hurts.
Reminder, this still isn't confirmed. We've been dealing with insiders for a week now, after all.

Also, why is everyone saying Kencineroar? It's either Grinch or insiders at this point, it seems, and both imply there will be more, plus 40 minutes is way too long for just 2 characters, one being an echo. I know y'all are in a despairing mood, but you have to make really big leaps in logic to say Kencineroar is what we're getting.

I think this is the first halloween I legit wish I could skip tbh

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Ironically, the biggest twist for the direct is now that the grinch leak is real. XD It's a reverse Gematsu.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Ken, Incineroar, Geno and some mystery newcomer.

Banjo-Kazooie, Hero (Dragon Quest), and Rex & Pyra as the first DLC characters.

That's my current prediction.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
And people are believing him at face value even though this was never something mentioned before ever?
Yeah, people tend to do that when it comes to Verge. To his credit, he has gotten a lot of things right, so there is reason to believe him.

I just don't want to.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
whats so bad about having a character as an AT?

Hell, if Layton aint gonna be playable, at least make him and AT and I'll settlr for that.

its like I told my sister "I still wont buy the game but at least Layton is in it and thats all that matters"

Potato_

Smash Lord
My final thoughts for the night?

While I trust Vergeben for the most part, I also think it is possible Nintendo is spreading misinformation.

It's looking bad for Isaac, but I don't think he's out completely. Only Thursday will really answer our questions.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
i never got the "might as well have him as an assist!" argument. you cant play as him whether he's an assist or not there. him being an assist just says they know he exists, and for a character as popular as isaac, thats a huge slap in the face.
Again, you'd rather they just forget he exist altogether? Not everyone can make the cut.

No matter what they did it'd be seen as an """insult""" to some Isaac fans.
If he doesn't get an assist? "If he's not playable anyway, then why did Sakurai ever cut his assist trophy for Smash 4?"
If he does get in as an assist? "How dare Sakurai do this to him! He deserves nothing short of being playable!"

I seriously doubt Sakurai has some personal vendetta against Isaac and his fanbase for some ridiculous reason, just like I really doubt that he hates Ashley, Waluigi or Shovel Knight.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
A couple of people(I think, at least one) has said that one of the upcoming trailers has two characters in it, from two different franchises. I doubt its Ken, so its someone who can stand toe to toe with either Incineroar or the retro rep.
If Shadow is an AT like they're thinking, then Ken might be the only echo left. I can see them putting him in Incineroar's trailer so they don't need to do a "and here's Ken, the last echo fighter" in the direct.

Plus their both fire-based fighters in the literal sense.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
So people would rather have Golden Sun completely forgotten than at least represented in smash via an AT?
I understand the frustration of Isaac not being playable, but that's the rage talking, i'm sure even the developers of the game would be happy for him just to be there.
Still, PLEASE GRINCH TAKE MY ENERGY.
Take mine as well Grinch leak... With my energy, it will be real for sure because I got the creative control just like the Hulkster and Im booking the Grinch leak to go over.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
honestly, the only way i can be excited for ultimate anymore is to hope that somehow these insiders are wrong. not having geno would be another game without the only newcomer ive cared about since snake, and all the other characters like isaac being assists would just bum me out seeing them as assists. i'd hate playing a match against someone and getting an assist for one of these guys and realizing how many people couldve been playing as that character. but even then, i feel like im still setting myself up for disappointment, if bara cat, liquid snake, and blockland are to be believed ;/
If you're seriously getting bummed about the roster because it's not Grinch, then you need to look at the already huge base roster and see what you like about it. I'm pretty pissed that Banjo isn't getting in apparently but god if I'm not going to love playing Snake on a better looking game and also running K Rool.

Everyone needs to relax and remember: it's video games. You win some you lose some. If we got through Sm4sh's questionable roster we can get through anything.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This is what's confusing me even more. If not Isaac, then who are these extra fighters? Who are the characters on the Grinch leak that are ACTUALLY in?

Who the hell actually made it in this game?
Well, I can for certain answer the last part for the most part. Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Dark Samus...

...Wario, Snake, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong...

Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K Rool, Isabelle... that's as far as my sources are willing to divulge, more than 70 characters.

It's going to be an awesome game. :awesome:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Reminder, this still isn't confirmed. We've been dealing with insiders for a week now, after all.

Also, why is everyone saying Kencineroar? It's either Grinch or insiders at this point, it seems, and both imply there will be more, plus 40 minutes is way too long for just 2 characters, one being an echo. I know y'all are in a despairing mood, but you have to make really big leaps in logic to say Kencineroar is what we're getting.

I think this is the first halloween I legit wish I could skip tbh
Honestly the fact that tomorrow (or today in EST) is Halloween is the one thing taking my mind off this ****.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
To those who say "AT is better than nothing" you realize that:

A) Assist Trophies would have to be turned on
B) Issac will have the 1/50 chance of appearing when an AT is on stage. And that's assuming every assist trophy has an equal chance of appearing.
C) That means no other Golden Sun stuff
D) Unless a change of heart, out of the running for DLC

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Why are so many Team Fake's so spiteful right now? Do you not want people to have their fan favorite characters that some have been waiting forever for? I don't understand the mindset of this "cutting off the nose to spite the face' mentality.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Worst case scenario is if Ken and Incineroar are the only reveals, not even a dlc Fighter announcement.

WordsHere

Smash Rookie
Looks like it was in korean

can someone transtale them into english?
The private videos say... "private video". :/ Sorry. This thread is moving so fast, someone already probably said it, but maybe that's exactly why I might as well repeat it, lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My final thoughts for the night?

While I trust Vergeben for the most part, I also think it is possible Nintendo is spreading misinformation.

It's looking bad for Isaac, but I don't think he's out completely. Only Thursday will really answer our questions.
The question for me is, what exactly kind of department is it "safe" to spread misinformation on? This is assuming, y'know, "insiders" (as in the anonymous source) are actually working with the game.

Last edited:

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
How come all of these insiders have contradicting information? Who are we supposed to even believe anymore? I feel like I'm going insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom