• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say it'd be the "greatest character." (the greatest character for Smash would be Terra or Slime/Loto)

And it wouldn't be a bunch of blocks in the shape of a person. It'd be closer to this mock-up:

Greatest character?

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.41.39 PM.png

Sorry, TB, but I think we already got that one covered.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Everyone quick! Lock in your final guesses

Me: Ken, Incineroar, Shadow, Dragon Quest character.

Sora at VGA announced as first DLC
Ahhh so you're on team fake, eh? Fair enough. I think... Ken, Incineroar, Shadow, Chorus Kids.
And a new 3rd party character that no one is expecting for DLC (Yuudachi? Just kidding. I know it won't be Yuudachi from Kancolle, but I do think we'll get 3rd party DLC that no one is thinking of... and I still think Katalina from GranBlue Fantasy has a good chance to be DLC)

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I made a topic on Smashboards betting my account that the leak is fake and Emily Rogers is telling the truth

I am 10000% sure the leak os fake. I trust my queen Emily Rogers and my kings Gamexplain and Vergeben

I know I'm in the tiny minority but I WILL PREVAIL!

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Ahhh so you're on team fake, eh? Fair enough. I think... Ken, Incineroar, Shadow, Chorus Kids.
And a new 3rd party character that no one is expecting for DLC (Yuudachi?)
Yeah, there is so much that helps lend it credibility, but I have learned that if it seems too good to be true, it's because it is.

Spinzilla

Smash Rookie
I have a theory that the character that was suppose to an Assist Trophy was either Shadow or Ken.

The list of new comers was very small compared to previous smashes.

To remedy this without causing delays/extra workload Sakurai added Echo fighters late-ish in development.

Hence why we haven't see a ton of in game live footage of the new echo fighters. I believe we have only seen Dark Samus and Chrom in action being played.

Shadow was chosen because he already had an in-game model to work with. (or Ken, I guess)

Just idea. I'm probably wrong though.

Mr. Z and 27 others

Smash Rookie
With the direct Thursday, I don't see much point in discussing the grinch leak until then, unless we have someone come clean about faking the whole thing and show us the fakes.

Personally I say I believe the grinch leak because even if it is fake, whoever put all that effort into it deserves to be believed.

D

Deleted member

I really hope Sakurai assembles a leak prevention squad for next Smash games.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Everyone's hyped, the time is here. The Final Direct for the base game of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is upon us.

The broadcast starts. We are met with Sakurai's face. We are all too familiar with this man that we idolize and praise, but something seems off. He stares at the screen with a blank face, devoid of his usual excitement for these announcements.

There are no characters, no items, and not even any music. Sakurai simply turns in his chair and starts operating a computer.

On the computer, we see the source files for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There's a wave of excitement at seeing something so important, but it quickly turns to dread. Sakurai starts to literally delete Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The chats turn to rage, anger, and confusion. A few forum sites immediately crash. A shuriken from a Nintendo Ninja trying to stop him flies through a door that is then immediately shut by Sakurai. There is banging on the walls of Sakurai's office, but the Ninjas can't get in. The virtual and real worlds are in chaos.

After a few minutes, a message is seen on Sakurai's monitor: "HARD DRIVE SUCCESSFULLY WIPED". Sakurai looks at the camera. "You leaked my game. My masterpiece. You did this. Never ask me for anything ever again." The broadcast cuts to a screen of Nintendo claiming "technical difficulties."

He did it. The absolute madman actually ****ing did it. Sakurai literally deleted Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thursday's gonna be a busy one x.x.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I look forward to Nintendo Life posting a video of all the playable characters videos so I can watch that like 30 times

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
they're pretty easy to find nowadays now that the Amiibo craze has died down, and the fact that she's also got a mario series Amiibo...
You're likley to find o

It's not...
That's the best-selling video game ever sold, as it's sold the most copies, which is completely different different than the best video game ever sold.

It definitely isn't the best video game ever sold, who the hell thinks that?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So, who else is just.... flat out not going to sleep tomorrow night?

Knowing me, I'll sleep right through it if I try to wake up too early, and I'll also be an idiot and spoil myself like August's.
i have band rehearsal that i need to be to 10 minutes after the direct so im sleeping early tomorrow to make sure i can watch live

WordsHere

Smash Rookie
Made an account because you guys seem, on average, more level headed than the subreddit. Wanted to give my theory on how it could be faked if it's fake. I actually think, even with my more plausible theory, that it's unlikely to be fake. While I don't find anonymous sources entirely credible, I do think it's at least slightly supporting it being fake that they're all agreeing that it's fake. I also find some of the evidence of it being real a little dubious. Here's my thinking:

When I see people claim it's impossible it's fake, they usually seem to think it has to be someone in their basement gluing paper cutouts to cardboard if it is. I wouldn't be surprised if others have pointed this out before so forgive me, but what if the marketing firm had access to the original PST file? The faker could "just" (still a lot of work, I know) make/find art of the 7 newcomers they want to put on their lineup and adjust it a bit from what Nintendo asked for to make it all fit. Then they print it out (there's the other thing that makes this dubious: printing costs, getting caught, etc.) and take their snapchat before maybe getting rid of the evidence so they don't get fired.

Again, this is only somewhat more plausible maybe. In my mind though, it's what might have gone down if the leak does turn out to be fake. I'd still lean a bit more toward real than fake just because of how ridiculous so much of this is. I said up top, I think some of the evidence for is dubious, but I also find the evidence about the details surrounding the leak (figuring out it was French marketing firm etc.) pretty solid. This is kind of my way of reconciling sources saying it's fake with the evidence making it seem so real.

Mostly, I'm super excited to see the Direct either way and can't wait to just play the dang game. I'd be perfectly happy if the Direct is just Sakurai sitting there staring at us unblinking for 39 minutes before saying, "actually, there's no new characters and it's out tomorrow." No offense if you're super excited about characters who may be revealed. I hope everyone gets what they want and, obviously, there's going to be more. Just saying what we're getting is pretty dang good already.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Anyone else going to watch the E3 and August direct before to get hyped?
Indubitably! I've already seen them each at least 10 times as it is, so what's a few more times?

Really good for keeping the hype flowing though, I agree. :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The background appears to be reverse engineered from the ground up. Team Real tends to claim it my only appear to be this way because of blur and compression, but some changes we have a hard time buying are because of that. Not to mention that these changes are all in places that are obscured by characters in the officially confirmed banners, which is very hard to believe is purely due to coincidence.

You aren't going to convince me "Snapchat compression" managed to magically change the shapes and positions of those crystals in the third panel.

It appears to us that the leaker didn't know there was a blank version of the background available and thus had to create his own in order to move all the characters around. This seems like very convincing evidence against the leak to me.
This is what put me on Team Fake too. You don't just add/take away new objects just like that.

With all of the Murals using the exact same background on the site? Why would one suddenly not use one? Then you have all these "cut-off" spots and such. It fits too well for somebody to fake it.

It'd be neat if all of them would become playable, that said.

D

Deleted member

Is it wrong of me to say that Sakurai would be the kinda guy to retire from Smash due to leaks?

LetterO

Smash Lord
So far it seems the only legit problems with the leak is the background which is admittedly a big problem. The only possible explanation is that it was an early build and the full banner was the first version of it made. I don't believe insiders or "too many characters". I'll try to balance my hype here, but still believing in the Grinch for now.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Made an account because you guys seem, on average, more level headed than the subreddit. Wanted to give my theory on how it could be faked if it's fake. I actually think, even with my more plausible theory, that it's unlikely to be fake. While I don't find anonymous sources entirely credible, I do think it's at least slightly supporting it being fake that they're all agreeing that it's fake. I also find some of the evidence of it being real a little dubious. Here's my thinking:

When I see people claim it's impossible it's fake, they usually seem to think it has to be someone in their basement gluing paper cutouts to cardboard if it is. I wouldn't be surprised if others have pointed this out before so forgive me, but what if the marketing firm had access to the original PST file? The faker could "just" (still a lot of work, I know) make/find art of the 7 newcomers they want to put on their lineup and adjust it a bit from what Nintendo asked for to make it all fit. Then they print it out (there's the other thing that makes this dubious: printing costs, getting caught, etc.) and take their snapchat before maybe getting rid of the evidence so they don't get fired.

Again, this is only somewhat more plausible maybe. In my mind though, it's what might have gone down if the leak does turn out to be fake. I'd still lean a bit more toward real than fake just because of how ridiculous so much of this is. I said up top, I think some of the evidence for is dubious, but I also find the evidence about the details surrounding the leak (figuring out it was French marketing firm etc.) pretty solid. This is kind of my way of reconciling sources saying it's fake with the evidence making it seem so real.

Mostly, I'm super excited to see the Direct either way and can't wait to just play the dang game. I'd be perfectly happy if the Direct is just Sakurai sitting there staring at us unblinking for 39 minutes before saying, "actually, there's no new characters and it's out tomorrow." No offense if you're super excited about characters who may be revealed. I hope everyone gets what they want and, obviously, there's going to be more. Just saying what we're getting is pretty dang good already.
Hi :yoshi:

Also "levelheaded?"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why is it that leakers are always "100% wrong and can't be trusted", yet we put full blind faith in a blurry 4chan leak that happens to have some things going for it? It's amazing.

Like hey, believe what you want, it's not my job to regulate how hyped people get or to convince people to temper their expectations but I think it's hilarious that people are shrugging folks off just because they say they have information. It's like nobody knows who these people are.

Should a lot of these people said they know people/stuff if they couldn't produce it? Probably not with the Smash fanbase. It's not even just because the fanbase is bad necessarily, but because it's about a mascot fighter and spots are slim pickings this time. You're poking the bear by even suggesting you have information.

That said, to believe that regardless of the identity of the leaker that they're just looking for attention and have no credibility is ludicrous. It's completely understandable that "insiders" would protect their sources. I have friends that are actually involved in the community. If they had information from leakers and they told me, do you think I'd tell some of you guys what they said two days before a Direct? Of course I wouldn't! That doesn't make any sense!

Leakers are protected by their confidants because there is a relationship of trust. Some of these relationships are friendships. You're literally asking someone to betray their friend to share information on a video game, and it's a video game that will have a final info dump within 36 hours.

I'm not even trying to make any of you feel bad, but to think about what you're suggesting. Some of the people that suggested they have information have good track records. Some do not. But the "team" mentality has made it seem like you have to believe one side or the other. That's not the case at all. You can feel like the Grinch leak is real while also thinking, "Well if it isn't, what this credible person says might work out too!".

We're all here because we love Smash. That's great.

Have some respect, at least, for some of these insiders. You don't necessarily have to believe them, but at least have some respect for the work they do for the community. The "insiders" are some of the people who run this site, or other websites that have Smash fans. They support the community. That's much more to be said than the users who come here to speculate, and then once the DLC is over, disappear for 3-4 years until the new one gets announced.

That is the user that will be forgotten, and that's regardless of if they're right about some stupid leak.

I'm even putting my money where my mouth is and have been invited to join the Writing Team here, which I'm excited for. I feel like I can finally give back or do something for the community again like last time when I became a moderator (and then disappeared, thus getting stripped of my mod status).

The leak hasn't even been proven either way, and some people are making themselves seem foolish. Let's chill people. Less than 36 hours remain until Base speculation turns into DLC speculation, and some dreams are either realized or crushed.

Prepare yourselves for that before taking anything for 100% truth.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Your main’s franchise gets its own smash bros styled game with 12 fighters. Who would be in?

Mario Franchise:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Rosalina
Yoshi
Geno

D

Deleted member

My final guesses for this Direct are this:

Cloudy, with a high chance of salt. :)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
VERGEBEN NO-
YOU GAVE ME HOPE FOR A SQUARE REP.

WHY YOU MUSR BETRAY ME NOW FOR ISAAC!

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
With the direct Thursday, I don't see much point in discussing the grinch leak until then, unless we have someone come clean about faking the whole thing and show us the fakes.

Personally I say I believe the grinch leak because even if it is fake, whoever put all that effort into it deserves to be believed.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT KILLING APU, HOMER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom