• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's a regional dialect.
Off topic but as a Dutchie, I've read a kid's magazine for Dutch lessons (I'm a migrant from the UK so I didn't know Dutch), reading the one from Friesland and seeing it's regional dialect hurt my brian more than the Grinch leak could
I see reading comprehension is not a strong point for some, where did I say "all" insiders?

Up state Brisbane is the regional dialect FYI ;}
I mean, you went "Insiders". And like it or not, the people you addressed as such have been credible at times too. Emily dropped a big hint at the game's name and Liam was the first thing on the internet with official Mario and Rabbids artwork

Edink

Smash Cadet
Man, I doubt we're gonna get a story to begin with.
I was expecting one so thanks, better have low spectations.

Anyways, from my opinion is better not to expect a direct til next week, maybe the 7 or 8, one month before release, but as I said is my prediction, no one really can assure a date at the moment, more with all the mess about the insiders.

For the Grinch leak ( and sorry for bringing up again the discussion ) it has been debunked yet or is just that until next direct nothing is clear? Because I read a lot of people reviving the Ken + Incineroar topic.

Shroob

Sup?
I was expecting one so thanks, better have low spectations.

Anyways, from my opinion is better not to expect a direct til next week, maybe the 7 or 8, one month before release, but as I said is my prediction, no one really can assure a date at the moment, more with all the mess about the insiders.

For the Grinch leak ( and sorry for bringing up again the discussion ) it has been debunked yet or is just that until next direct nothing is clear? Because I read a lot of people reviving the Ken + Incineroar topic.
Not dead, though it's not confirmed either.

At this point, it's more or less every insider thinking it's fake, versus this photo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not dead, though it's not confirmed either.

At this point, it's more or less every insider thinking it's fake, versus this photo.
And even the insiders who think it's true think there's still something strange up.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Aside from Fighters and the "Spirits" mode that was teased before, what do you all think could come from a final pre-release Smash Bros. Ultimate direct?
You think he'll go over the unlock-able collectibles? Like the Trophies, Music, and Masterpieces? Do you think we may receive new content in the form of memories (as they've been posted in the Japanese Smash Blog), or even alternate costumes? I mean, quite a bit of fighters seems to have received them.

What do you think? I personally am terrified to find out how much content there is to unearth after Wii U's treasure trove of stuff to get lol.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Off topic but as a Dutchie, I've read a kid's magazine for Dutch lessons (I'm a migrant from the UK so I didn't know Dutch), reading the one from Friesland and seeing it's regional dialect hurt my brian more than the Grinch leak could
It's hard for me to consider Fries a dialect when fluent German is more understandable to the average Dutchman

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Is it true that some of the insiders rely on donations via Patreon? I don't mean to start anything or insult them. I'm just curious. I'm just happy that this whole ordeal will be over soon, for all sides. I can't wait for the next Direct.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
We still don't know anything about the online... please make it good.
We made one MASSIVE improvement from Smash 4 online.

YOU CAN NOW PLAY AS MIIS!!!!!!

Everything else is exactly the same as Smash 4 lol good luck getting a stable match.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Is it true that some of the insiders rely on donations via Patreon? I don't mean to start anything or insult them. I'm just curious. I'm just happy that this whole ordeal will be over soon, for all sides. I can't wait for the next Direct.
Most insider probably have jobs that allows them to access secret information so they probably don't need Patreon.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
If a direct comes this Thursday, then I might actually get one of those birthday directs

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
is there any direct rumours? i missed like a hundred pages on the old thread
Multiple people claimed there'll be one this week, so it's safe to assume that there will be. Nobody really knows whether it's a general direct or a Smash direct, but there's talks about multiple characters being revealed.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got no replies last time so I'll ask again, have I missed anything noteworthy in all of October? The main thing I've been reading is some sort of 'Grinch leak'. Anyone able to fill me in on what that is? Does it have credibility like Verge?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, at least we have OG Classic Mode, so it's a start of hopefully more to come.
Yeah, fixing Classic was a must. I liked taking the idea of Kid Icarus Uprising for it's difficulty system but being stuck on 2 lives, frantic 8 player matches most of the time and lowering the difficulty if you lost just wasn't fun. So many 9.0 runs ruined by that.
If a direct comes this Thursday, then I might actually get one of those birthday directs
Honestly I don't know how I feel cause it'd have been a full year since I learned someone who was like a second mother to me died by then

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
Got no replies last time so I'll ask again, have I missed anything noteworthy in all of October? The main thing I've been reading is some sort of 'Grinch leak'. Anyone able to fill me in on what that is? Does it have credibility like Verge?
basically a blurry image with 7 fighters got leaked, and happened to appear with some grinch-related material for promoting the new movie(that's where the name comes from). the 7 are: ken, shadow, mach rider, banjo, geno, isaac, and chorus kids. for the last week no one has been able to prove it's a fake due to many reasons outside the scope of this comment. supposed "insiders" are ALL over the place on if this is true, or part of it is true

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Oh geez...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
basically a blurry image with 7 fighters got leaked, and happened to appear with some grinch-related material for promoting the new movie(that's where the name comes from). the 7 are: ken, shadow, mach rider, banjo, geno, isaac, and chorus kids. for the last week no one has been able to prove it's a fake due to many reasons outside the scope of this comment. supposed "insiders" are ALL over the place on if this is true, or part of it is true
I don't remember any insiders saying it's true, only partially at most

marth_t90

Smash Cadet
cute lil wavedash here

albeit him gettin rocked by jumping into a f-smash but still

Last edited:

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
Okay here we go. October was pretty dry when it came to news, with almost everyone buying into the "Box-Theory", claiming there would only be two characters left due to there being two empty spots for artwork left on the box. This naturally made people a little depressed, so when this "Grinch-Leak" surfaced, they clung onto it like crazy.

The general idea is that somebody by the name of Eric Bricard in a French printing company took a Snapchat video of the finished Mural, including Banjo & Kazooie, Shadow, Isaac, Mach Rider, Ken, Geno, and the Chorus Kids, and sent it to somebody who then leaked a screencap of the video to the public. This has then been discussed over hundreds, if not thousands of pages in the old general discussion thread with it devolving into some kind of weird civil war between those who believed it and those who didn't.
Pretty much every industry insider promptly called the mural out for being fake, or rather unfinished, on accounts of Incineroar missing. There has beena ton of back and forth on this, including some harrassment (stay classy, Smash community), which led to a lot of insiders being quiet or outright insulting. It's been a mess, all things considered.

Eventually, Nintendo posted a Twitter video of the Wendy's Tailgate Tour, presumably accidentally leaking an item that wasn't supposed to be shown to the public. This item resembles an icon from Golden Sun, so people have been disussing that too.
All in all, it's probably been the craziest few days I've ever got to witness as part of this community, blowing the ESRB leak out of the water twice over. Seriously, it felt like an ce Attorney case from time to time with how quickly evidence came up and was subsequently debunked. And the best part? It will all be cleared up on Thursday, if people are to be believed.

If you happen to have the time, go and read the old General Discussion thread from the point where this came up. I'm sure this week will go down in history, no matter whether this leak ends up being real or fake.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Haven't fully caught up on the thread, but why would we have another general direct at this stage? Surely they haven't got any more 2018 games left to announce and are going to wait until after Christmas to talk more about 2019 games? Perhaps they'll do a hybrid Pokemon/Smash direct, but that's the only way I can see this week's possible direct being anything other than just Smash.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Okay here we go. October was pretty dry when it came to news, with almost everyone buying into the "Box-Theory", claiming there would only be two characters left due to there being two empty spots for artwork left on the box. This naturally made people a little depressed, so when this "Grinch-Leak" surfaced, they clung onto it like crazy.

The general idea is that somebody by the name of Eric Bricard in a French printing company took a Snapchat video of the finished Mural, including Banjo & Kazooie, Shadow, Isaac, Mach Rider, Ken, Geno, and the Chorus Kids, and sent it to somebody who then leaked a screencap of the video to the public. This has then been discussed over hundreds, if not thousands of pages in the old general discussion thread with it devolving into some kind of weird civil war between those who believed it and those who didn't.
Pretty much every industry insider promptly called the mural out for being fake, or rather unfinished, on accounts of Incineroar missing. There has beena ton of back and forth on this, including some harrassment (stay classy, Smash community), which led to a lot of insiders being quiet or outright insulting. It's been a mess, all things considered.

Eventually, Nintendo posted a Twitter video of the Wendy's Tailgate Tour, presumably accidentally leaking an item that wasn't supposed to be shown to the public. This item resembles an icon from Golden Sun, so people have been disussing that too.
All in all, it's probably been the craziest few days I've ever got to witness as part of this community, blowing the ESRB leak out of the water twice over. Seriously, it felt like an ce Attorney case from time to time with how quickly evidence came up and was subsequently debunked. And the best part? It will all be cleared up on Thursday, if people are to be believed.

If you happen to have the time, go and read the old General Discussion thread from the point where this came up. I'm sure this week will go down in history, no matter whether this leak ends up being real or fake.
Thank you! As I mentioned in my first post on this thread yesterday, I was over 1,000 pages behind and was all the way back at September 29th. At the point where I was playing catch up, people were still talking about Minecon. I would check the most recent pages from time to time to see if I was missing anything major and when I saw talk of a leak, I just thought it'd be like most others and go quiet after a while. But this Grinch one didn't so I was curious what exactly I missed.

Edink

Smash Cadet
Aside from Fighters and the "Spirits" mode that was teased before, what do you all think could come from a final pre-release Smash Bros. Ultimate direct?
You think he'll go over the unlock-able collectibles? Like the Trophies, Music, and Masterpieces? Do you think we may receive new content in the form of memories (as they've been posted in the Japanese Smash Blog), or even alternate costumes? I mean, quite a bit of fighters seems to have received them.

What do you think? I personally am terrified to find out how much content there is to unearth after Wii U's treasure trove of stuff to get lol.
Honestly I'm not gonna hype about that but with the Mario alt, and mecha ridley, idk, i'm hoping for a game-shop when u can buy alternative costumes for the characters like Twilight Princess Zelda, etc with in-game money like the Wii U one.

I don't think about this becoming true but dude I hope it was. A lot of fighting games have this game shop, but we'll see.

Shroob

Sup?
Haven't fully caught up on the thread, but why would we have another general direct at this stage? Surely they haven't got any more 2018 games left to announce and are going to wait until after Christmas to talk more about 2019 games? Perhaps they'll do a hybrid Pokemon/Smash direct, but that's the only way I can see this week's possible direct being anything other than just Smash.
That's my general opinion.

Spawn Wave, who has been pretty damn accurate in calling dates, is saying TWO directs this month.

Except that the September Direct covered their holiday lineup already.

Unless this is going to hardcore focus on their early 2019 lineup, it feels very odd to get a 2nd General direct soo soon.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Ok, let me see if I can sum up all the crazy **** that happened in as short of a time frame as I can. A leak started making its rounds showing what was supposedly the complete banner for the game, with seven characters not yet revealed for the game: Ken and Shadow, (presumably as echoes,) along with Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider. Notably, Incineroar was absent. While initially dismissed for the amount of characters, people started to notice some strange things about the leak. First of all, it was initially posted to the snapchat of a man known as Eric Bricard, and people found out that he has worked at two separate companies that deal with the physical production of promotional materials for other companies. The one he was currently working at had a video online that showed how they made the materials, and not only was the layout of the building presented in the video similar to the leak, the way they produced the materials was similar to how it seemed the banner was being made in the image. That video, which had been up for two years, has since been taken down. The leak also showed off promotional materials for the upcoming Grinch movie, and not only comes does it out close to Smash Ultimate in France, (where the company is located,) but the assets for the Grinch movie shown off were also original to the leak, and have since matched up with some other promotional materials presented in trailers since. Finally, the leak contains an empty version of the banner, which was commonly thought to not exist at the point in time when the leak was first released to the public. However, this is where things get complicated: an empty version of the banner was later found at E3, and when compared to the leak, the two backgrounds seem to differ notably in detail only at places where characters obscure locations on the current banner. On top of this, through comparisons with all known versions of the banner, the contents of the background do not seem to have changed at all, so this leaked version would be the first time the background had been changed at all, assuming it's legitimate. Finally, lots of people with insider knowledge have been coming out and claiming this leak is fake, but without providing much insight as to why, though it seems that the belief that Incineroar is in the game in some capacity is not limited to Vergeben. The insiders that have come forward with information have provided relatively confusing and mismatched information, though it seems likely that some contents of the leak beyond just Ken may be legitimate whether or not the leak is false.

I think that's everything important. Lots of other things had been discussed about the leak, both before and against it, but claims from both sides trying to establish anything definitive have largely been debunked. Everything I told you is the most important, outstanding information at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom