• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

any thoughts on Smash Tour? I know that it have NOTHING to do wit the leak but any thoughts on this mode ?
Always thought it was kinda bad, and really felt it should've just been a Wii U Smash Run.

It's just...boring. There isn't anything that really kept my attention past the one time I tried it. Granted, I tried it with CPUs, but I'm the kind of person that can love playing against a game's AI as long as the core gameplay is fun, so I don't think playing it with people would have made a difference to me personally.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I honestly just can't wait for all this to end, because I've been a bit sick of both sides quite frankly. I've been Team Fake sense the beginning, but slowly have moved to being a skeptic over the past few days (you guys make catching up so hard, I'm still like 200 pages behind). It's hard to refute somethings for both sides, so I've just been playing the waiting the game for a while. If it's fake, great. If it's real, great. I never really wanted anyone in so I was fine with what we had, though I know people have been holding on hope for their favorites to be in.

I don't really care, nor am I fond of any of the supposed characters in the leak. Heck, the closest person that I could consider I like from those is the Chorus Kids, but even then...I don't really care for them or wanted them in Smash. The extra characters of who they are are disappointing to me personally, but I know it lit a spark for other people and I can say I'm happy for you if it's true.

But I don't think it'd be a bad idea to hold even a tiny bit skepticism in case it's fake, so you don't end up disappointed. Yes, I know, I've read multiple times what someone would have to do in order to fake all this, but still. Just I hope there's not an inconsiderable amount of gloating, insults, and whatever else have you when we finally get a direct to confirm/debunk this. Then again...it's the Smash Community.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I'm not even going to entertain the idea of the banner itself being leak bait because of how much of a monumental **** move that would be on Nintendo's part.
That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Get everyone that hyped on purpose and then pull the rug out. That’ll get them excited right before launch!

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Jesus Christ drag0n this is just gonna cause more anger. I'm team fake and just seeing this is making me shake my head. Just quit it with this. Please. "Get over it" yea that's not gonna do you any good and you know what's to come.
I know.
I also know that the anger is pointless.

shhh. cannibal troll.

Anyhoo.

I think papagenos papagenos has this figured out.
His video seems correct and he makes good logical arguments.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The 4chan picture that has been passed around was a real thread that was posted 5 minutes after the direct.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/431477580/#431477580#

Your argument hinges on the notion that this man decided to fake a site glitch within five minutes of the direct ending for no discernible purpose. What reason would they possibly have to make that up?

On top of I can tell you that I personally remember this having occurred, and a few other Smashboarders have said they remember seeing this on the site after the direct as well.

Why are there no other screenshots? How many people have screencapped the bug where Superhappy Tree's name is in Spanish? No one, necause it's a minor site glitch that nobody expects to ever have insanely convoluted relevance to a leak two months later and hence there is no reason to screenshot it.
Thanks, now that I know the source of the image is 4Chan, which massively compresses all images that are uploaded to it, I am confident in saying this is jpeg compression. If someone can get me a screenshot of this glitch that doesn't come from 4chan, I'll reconsider this opinion.

Current Banner:

This glitched banner:

The same color tones that are blue on both Mac's shoe and Olimar's gloves are equally shifted to green in this extra compressed version.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
any thoughts on Smash Tour? I know that it have NOTHING to do wit the leak but any thoughts on this mode ?
Needs a total revamp to be playable, it's just so confusing and fast, it feels so random that nothing up until the last match feels as if it has any weight.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Man o man. I wonder what Nintendo will do for the blog update today?
"Today's stage"

"Did you know that Smashville is returning? This stage is unique in that it changes seasons! Let's see what season it is today!"

"Would you look at that, it's Christmas time!"

"I thought it was October but I guess the game may be acting up. Oh well. When Winter, keep an eye on the background of the stage. Pete the big green pelican may swoop in and steal items from the stage and character's equipment like Link's sword."

"Each fighter gets very upset by this, and it can change a match around, so beware Pete! He's a mean one at Christmas time! He even stole a very important painting from me recently. Please let me know if you find it!"

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Me after reading all these hints/theories that link to the Grinch Leak:
View attachment 173093
This has to stop. I don't think I can survive when I here this leak everywhere I go online. I was always on Team Hmmm, but now I don't know what to think anymore. This can't be a coincidence, is this part of the leaker's master plan?!! We really need that direct.
... and I need to see a Doctor.

My suggestion to you, since it's what I'm about to do: save a pic of the leak itself and just look it instead of coming here all the time. I'm personally just looking at it an admiring how much work went into it if it's fake, and how killer of a base roster this would be if real.

I'm gonna limit myself to a few times a day because it's just too much now, i agree

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean if you want to counter anyone who relies on the ESRB leak to prove someone who thinks differently wrong (it's totally applicable in a correct fashion, but a lot of them aren't), you can just show them this and all of a sudden it's their bedtime.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me every thing that comes out seems to point more and more to the leak being real. Debunking attempts have only seemed to strengthen it. At this point, not sure how anybody could be totally dismissive of this. At worst, you'd have to think it's more likely than not based on what we know.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Get everyone that hyped on purpose and then pull the rug out. That’ll get them excited right before launch!
That and this entire thing resulted in someone getting doxxed, two different printing companies getting a bunch of phone calls, and a **** load of people getting attacked over the internet.

Untouch

Smash Master
I mean if you want to counter anyone who relies on the ESRB leak to prove someone who thinks differently wrong (it's totally applicable in a correct fashion, but a lot of them aren't), you can just show them this and all of a sudden it's their bedtime.

I like showing this.

Except I'm devastated that it wasn't real whenever I see it so maybe not.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright man I'm actually sticking to NintenZone this time

Some of y'all I'm fond of are turning against each other, we're all mad at each other, it's heartbreaking

I get it. The world ****ing sucks right now. So a lot of people are desperate for even a little thing like Geno in Smash to make everything feel okay. I know I am.

But some of the behavior going on here, that has been going on here for the past days, it's inexcusable even if that's your reason, and I feel it getting to me.

Some of you guys; take a break, for your own good. I never wanted a fun leak to get like this, but it has. Peace out y'all.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I've been studying the damn mural for WAY too long now and getting upset at how many people don't get how it works, so let me try to explain it as a graphic designer that's used Photoshop and similar programs for a long time.

Back at E3, we got a full scale version of the leak. It can be found here on PidgiWiki, a site that gathers giant resolution press images. It is slightly over 20k x 4k pixels with 300 DPI resolution. It's a gigantic image. The detailing in it is amazing. You can see Falco's individual feathers. You can see LUCINA'S EMBLEM EYE.
This image is gigantic and finely detailed. This isn't something they'd make and then start adding to haphazardly, this is something they surely planned out carefully and fully before digitally painting it at this massive size. As such, I'm 100% sure the first version of the mural they made was the one with EVERY CHARACTER on it, unannounced ones included.
The image has at least 1 layer group for the background. We have never had an instance where the background has moved at all so it can't be said how many layers make it up for sure. After that, EVERY character is painted IN FULL in their own layer/layer group. These character paintings are used in other promotional material like the cover of the box.
Characters are 100% INDEPENDANT FROM EACH OTHER. Even the ones that are interacting like the pokemon to wario and dedede are in their own, isolated layers with no lighting or ANYTHING from the other affecting them. Basically, consider every character in the mural as their own seperate backless PNG for the purpose of considering things. Some of them, like Ryu, have a glow around them. That glow is ALSO tied to their layer/layer group and moves purely with them. It doesn't ACTUALLY change any colors of the characters below it, it just looks like it does when the layers are finally saved into a single JPG. Also, extra special effects like Inkling's ink splashes are the same. They're in the characters layer/layer group, move with them when they shift, and DON'T affect any other character in an actual way.

So they have a gigantic mural with every character on it, and each character is TOTALLY ISOLATED onto their own layer. Next, they would turn off all the new characters and fill in the gaps by moving the other characters around and scaling them slightly. This is how we wind up with the mural we got at E3. We have no hints at other characters because, again, every character is an isolated layer so turning off a character is turning off EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF THEM IN THE IMAGE. There's literally no trace of them remaining.
Once they got all the new characters turned off, then they make a SECOND version of the mural. Every mural thus far actually has had two versions, the regular mural with everyone in one shot, and the looping mural. The looping mural always has characters in the foreground shift upwards and move somewhat to reveal more of the ground below. This is because the looping mural is only used in the site and that extra space is where the site starts.
View attachment 173071
Here's the current version in both full and loop form. As an aside, this is where that "the background changed caue the crystal under megaman disappeared!" misconception came from. You can see in the gif, loop megaman is higher up than regular megaman, just enough that the crystal becomes uncovered.

Anywho, now we got two versions of the gigantic mural, the regular and the loop. From here, every piece of advertising using the mural is derived. Everything takes the mural and DOWNSCALES IT as much as is needed. It's important to remember though, downscaling an image will kill quality and cause artifacts. Pixels will become sharper, some pixels where colors are touching may change color slightly may change slightly, details will be totally lost.
As another aside, the same happens when upscaling, BUT WORSE. Upscaling involves a program straight up GUESSING what a pixel should be. NEVER upscale something to prove a point.
The looped mural is downscaled to around 680 height, so almost 6x smaller, then it is cut up into 6 equal pieces. Those pieces are put on the smash site in a gallery widgit that does a constant scroll.
The regular image is used for everything else. It's downscaled and slapped onto whatever they need it slapped onto. But as far as I've seen, NOTHING ever has had it edited slightly from the original. What I mean is, everything with the mural on it matches perfectly to the regular version of the mural. No characters are ever moved or squashed or anything to accomedate what it's being put onto. They have the mural exactly how they want it, it isn't shifted for any small advertising piece. Nothing changes until a new version is released.
Thus far, there's been 4 versions: E3 without Ridley or Daisy only shown during the Direct, E3 with Ridley and Daisy, 8/8 with K. Rool and the gang, and Isabelle.
Pardon the ****ty job I did lining them up, but here's all of them lined up including the best I could line up the Grinch leak:
View attachment 173086
And, since as I said they almost certainly STARTED with the full mural of all characters, here's the order it would have been made in:
View attachment 173088

There, that's my whole explanation about how the mural is made and how it works. I hope I explained things clearly.
Wanted to add a point here.

When updating the site image, even if they have to rearrange the entire mural and then cut to pieces (so it's strange to see placement/cut off errors), it's usually normal to only upload as few images as needed when doing updates on a site.

For this image, the part where isaac would be is only on the 2nd piece of the mural. The 3rd part leaks the plant ever so slightly that any front end developer updating it (or any designer) would have put up only the 2nd piece because there was not any (visible) reason to change everything else. This makes the mural be quickly uploaded with the new images, and doesn't put extra strain on the ussers who would have to download a much bigger mural when it's not needed (should I clarify that for good internet connections it might not be a big deal, but one of those parts of the murals for people with worse internet connection could take seconds to load)

That's why at least I find very believable that that small accident may have happened.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
This is such a pet peeve of mine you don't even know.

Clearly because that ended up being true this thing MUST be true, despite the fact that they're two completely different situations.

They're both leaks, so they must be the same.

At this point I have no idea what Nintendo is doing. I'm sure they have their reasons, I just hope they pull off this finale well.
Lol this leak is WAY more credible than the ESRB leak and y'all still won't admit it. To claim its fake is genuinely one of the most crazy things I've ever heard.

Untouch

Smash Master
It's zero suit samus for the blog tonight.
For her Final Smash, she dons her suit and fires a powerful laser!
I'm sorry what? Haven't we seen it, did they change it back to the brawl FS?

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The blog grows eerily quiet as we all lurch forward at the edge of our seats hungry for an announcement

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's zero suit samus for the blog tonight.

I'm sorry what? Haven't we seen it, did they change it back to the brawl FS?
No, her new final smash still makes her put on her armor and fire a laser.

She just does it from her ship in the background now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom