• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
The reason I hope Grinch leak is real because I’d be kinda dissapointed by kencineroar as the last two newcomers. The roster now is crazy good, I’d just be sad that the last two are so boring in comparison to the others announced. If grinch is fake, wow they really blew their load early huh? I sure hope Incineroar is cool to play as!

Chrono.

What I'm really wondering is how on earth has Smashboards not crashed yet? This is highly unnatural, yet for some strange reason this miracle has been overshadowed in the public eye by the Grinch.

I don't think there is one, it's got a lot of evidence for it but nothing truly 100% conclusive and it's got a lot of things making people not believe it, and it seems like nobody can agree on which parts mean more than the other parts lol
It didn't crash, but it got to be pretty damn laggy last night around the time we got 1000+ guests here.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've gotta ask a quick question.

Why would Simon and Richter get revealed together, yet Ryu and Ken not be revealed together?

Quite a few echos (I believe it was 3 out of the currently officially confirmed 6) were revealed in the original wave of information that came with the "Everyone is Here" trailer.

Here's a hot take, which i hope is horribly wrong; What if Ken was actually the false leak the whole time?

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but compared to Dark Samus and Chrome, does Ken come across as a "surprise" character to anyone that would warrant his own independent announcement?
Only 1 Echo was revealed during E3

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After living through Sassy Geno I'm cynical of "arguments for both sides"
More willing to believe it as faked.

But that most XPNC made last night...
I'll actually feel really bad for XPNC if this turns out to be fake. He gave us one of the most detailed and convincing arguements as to why there's almost no way this leak could be a fake.

And then if we find out it really was a fake...

Kinda harsh, but at least we'll have another insane example of how the Smash fanbase is sneakier, crazier, and far more deceptive than Waluigi himself. We can never be too sure with these leaks.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Actually literally ALL of the "big guys" came forward and said it was fake.
But literally no one suddenly believe them and throw **** and death threat at them.

So they just decided to shut up.
Honestly?

Good for people not blindly following the ''big guys." and forming their own opinions. Even if it hurts them in the end.

Especially since the ''Big Guys"? They haven't said much of anything to slide this thing one or the other that a small user on any of the various websites discussing it have not already said.

It shows that while they may have a podium? It doesn't necessarily equate that their word or analysis is any better.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
At this point, I feel like grinch leak is making us crazy and getting rid of remaining sanity that we have in mind. Can we just wait and see when smash direct was announced in November?

All of this discussion is starting to look like monkeys fightting each other.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've gotta ask a quick question.

Why would Simon and Richter get revealed together, yet Ryu and Ken not be revealed together?

Quite a few echos (I believe it was 3 out of the currently officially confirmed 6) were revealed in the original wave of information that came with the "Everyone is Here" trailer.

Here's a hot take, which i hope is horribly wrong; What if Ken was actually the false leak the whole time?

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but compared to Dark Samus and Chrome, does Ken come across as a "surprise" character to anyone that would warrant his own independent announcement?
Because Ryu was in Smash 4 and Ken is in Ultimate.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think anyone's actually arguing for the banner itself (aside from some background details), what people are mainly concerned with is the backstory seemingly not as watertight as would imply.

For me the biggest thing keeping me on the fence is the name. We now know who the guy is, where he works, and I'm sure if we dug any more we could find his favorite flavor of baguette.

The name was not hidden very well, which presents three scenarios:
1. Guy who leaked the content is an idiot.
2. Guy wants us to find the guy who works in France.

Both can be used on either side of the debate and isn't conclusive. Remember,

The Grinch will make or break this.

I think it's kind of a mixture of both.
I think the leaker decided to use a fake name to throw stuff off. He picked someone who used to work at the company because it won't lead to a dead end. Right now everyone thinks Eric is the one who leaked it, so if that was the plan he pulled it off wonderfully.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Something weird I just now realized. GameXplain came out and said they won't be talking about the leak anymore. The only thing they did was making a short video shooting the leak down and didn’t really have much serious discussion. Something this massive and they're essentially just ignoring it. Seems kinda suspicious to me.

View attachment 171988
but they literally uploaded a bit earlier about the leak again
https://youtu.be/S8ICoSzCiyE
If anything this actually helps me see it as real.

Gamexplain does hours of in depth looking and two hour long discussions on leaks and 30 second trailers. But now when one of the biggest money generating opportunities arise they are silent? Not even a discussion?

I find that very suspect. I have a feeling they know it’s likely real regardless of whatever info insiders have to contradict it

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Today I had a class on Fake History and News, and something my professor said got me thinking in regards to Smash. In these cases, misinformation isn't spread around by one singular person, but rather, by a group of them.
People have been saying this is too much effort for one person to fake, and that it means it's likely real with all these details. But what if it wasn't just one person? What if this was a fake leak coordinated by multiple people who each focused on making one aspect of it to look real that, when combined, looks completely legit?
Additionally, he also mentioned the concept of half-truths, which are easier to propagate than full on lies. What if the Grinch isn't the key here, but rather the bait? What if that's an actual legit piece planted into the leak to give it more legitimacy? (And this one is more on a tangent as I have no real experience on the area but would two completely promotional materials be handled by the same people, in the same room, and get them all mixed with one another?)

Pyra Pyra
ARE YOU READY FOR ROUND 2, BABY?
heck yeah

like for instance

what if real???????

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys i just realized something, new leak similar to the old ESRB leak, people seeing characters in the clouds, the community being split on if its real or not, people pointing out the minor issues with the leak. History is repeating itself.

The Ouroboros continues to eat its own tail
It is

More people on team fake

Creditable people on team fake

Everyone arguing and disagreeing with one anothef

Point out minor details or trying the little Mac photoshop shulk esque type of stuff

Trying to deconfirm the leak is like trying to kill a hydra by cutting its head off but just grows back with 2 more heads

Fun fact push Dustin was the closet to killing it but another company stepping forth ruined everything

And it’s a riot for more smash news

Heck it may end the leak the same way too by the next reveal proving it real or fake comparing to the banner and seeing if the positioning is close or spot on.

Chrono.

I'll actually feel really bad for XPNC if this turns out to be fake. He gave us one of the most detailed and convincing arguements as to why there's almost no way this leak could be a fake.

And then if we find out it really was a fake...

Kinda harsh, but at least we'll have another insane example of how the Smash fanbase is sneakier, crazier, and far more deceptive than Waluigi himself. We can never be too sure with these leaks.
The post was good but also over sold it a tad.

People since have shown inconsistencies and all.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Here's the problem.
I can say it is a fake as well!
But i can't say why!
Totally off-topic, but I thought this was a haiku, so I scratched my head trying to count the syllables for a couple of seconds

....It's 6 am in my timezone so I'm not really conscious rn

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I hope people realize the fighters been moved since every reveal, so that claim is bull****.
You misunderstand. Nintendo has assets for all of the character drawings on the banner. It's super easy for them to move the characters when they add more.

As for a fake leaker messing with the banner, if they move characters, they don't have the original assets for each character. So if a character had their left leg or right hand hidden behind another character, when moved, would be missing them for a person doctoring the photo.

This particular leak moves around 40+ characters to accommodate the new 7. A decent chunk of them have been moved and now show new body parts or assets not seen yet.

It either means 1 of 2 things:

1. The leak is legit, and Nintendo has assets easily moved all of these characters to logical spaces (Mii fighters together, etc) after the full base roster has been shown.

2. The leak is fake, and the leaker, for some odd reason, spent an ungodly amount of time not only moving 40+ characters around, but also, by hand, created assets for each missing piece of hidden asset behind other people.

Which one do you think is more probable? That's up to the observer so I'm not going to tell you what to think, but my money is on 1 solely and personally.

On top of this, I've heard people say "Even though you can see all of Jigglypuff now, she looks terrible! The leaker is a bad illustrator!" When it's completely and plainly obvious that ALL of the characters look bad on a 100p image lol. Look at Cloud's and Villager's face on the leak, it looks derpy as hell lmao. We can't even criticize the new characters or the new art added because all the current art looks just as bad in the leak.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
At this point, I feel like grinch leak is making us crazy and getting rid of remaining sanity that we have in mind. Can we just wait and see when smash direct was announced in November?

If we're monkeys i'm picking my own monkey name.

Noipoi Kong.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ya'll really need to chill out with the petty snide and underhanded comments towards one another.

Real/fake/Mach Rider is In/Fire Cat Steve Is In/Dream Job Barbie is In....

None of it is worth being mean *** human beings towards one another.

It's just leaks and rumors for a silly *** video game where you can punch Mario in his face.
You're wrong.

It's leaks and rumors for a silly ass video game where you can punch Mario in his face with an adorable Shih Tzu.
I don't think there is one, it's got a lot of evidence for it but nothing truly 100% conclusive and it's got a lot of things making people not believe it, and it seems like nobody can agree on which parts mean more than the other parts lol
A little bit like the ESRB leak, really.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Y'know, so many insiders knowing the same thing is what gets me.

For a company trying so hard to keep their game under wraps, they sure do a crappy job. Why give employees info at all? I guess their sources could be from the translation team or something, but gosh.
The VG247 guys already answered.
A lot of time it's the company themselves that give them information to reveal at X date, or literally tell them, what and/or when the big announcement are, just to get logictically prepared when it's a big news outlet
Others time,and very often, you become friends with people working there after going to events, interview, take a drink etc... it's close friends working in said company that have information, and out of trust, you keep it shut until revealed.
Then, there is sources that comes to you, prove their identity, and give you information in advance (Perhaps against money, at least in true journalism, bribery is common)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
And then theres a third side of people who either refuse to take a side, arent convinced either way, wanna watch the chaos, or are prepping cabins in the middle of nowhere to hide from any further spoilers til december. I am part of that last category.
Then what are you doing on here? This is the epicenter of possible spoiler territory. :rotfl:

(obviously I'm not saying you don't belong here, so I hope it doesn't come across that way--I just find that juxtaposition confusing)

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
@ Everyone saying Ken is a nobody and/or couldn't have an announcement w/out somebody else: Get real. Do you have ANY clue how big Street Fighter is? Ken is among the most iconic fighting game characters of all time, and the original clone character.

To call Ken 'leak bait' is insane when the Ken leak we got is as close to confirmed as possible. And before you (you know who you are) try to say Nintendo made that as leak bait, that's an astonishing waste of time and resources on a level completely different to just passing around a character's name.

D

Deleted member

I can't help myself from laughing about this honestly, we're some losers on a video game forum arguing about the grinch while getting immensely angry over it, god i love it.
I’m not angry,
I’m not arguing and instead having fun.
And i am having a great time these days, so i can’t call myself a looser.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh and we assume next reveal makes or breaks this. But it can easily do neither.

Insiders think there’s more characters. So if that’s the case and the banner is real but missing one or two characters, then Nintendo can just make one of them next reveal and keep leakers at bay.

Not that it will work in the long run if the banner is real but it might in the short one.

Not that I think Nintendo actually has a way of doing this. I think if there’s any other characters left one of them is dlc and they won’t announce dlc as a base game character because it would mess plans up.

So I think at this point if real, Nintendo might as well yield.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All the ****ting on Incineroar and Steve are what make me hope this leak is fake.
I mean, I told everyone to stop acting like he was already confirmed. I ****ing love the Cat but seeing people shove Inceneroar down other people's throats as a sure thing was getting old. The tables have turned now it seems and it looks like people are hating on Incenaroar, sadly.

I don't fully believe this leak but if it's real and I lose Inceneroar I'm fine with that. It just means I'll have to support him for DLC pretty hard.

Friendly reminder to everyone that ****ting on a character or their fanbase is not ok. Don't be a **** about it. You can speculate without being a ****.

Last edited:

Chrono.

It is

More people on team fake

Creditable people on team fake

Everyone arguing and disagreeing with one anothef

Point out minor details or trying the little Mac photoshop shulk esque type of stuff

Trying to deconfirm the leak is like trying to kill a hydra by cutting its head off but just grows back with 2 more heads

Fun fact push Dustin was the closet to killing it but another company stepping forth ruined everything

And it’s a riot for more smash news

Heck it may end the leak the same way too by the next reveal proving it real or fake comparing to the banner and seeing if the positioning is close or spot on.
ESRB had other leaks backing it up though?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I must have missed this post. Linkage?

I like a good thorough analysis of any kind.
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...spoilers-leaks.434391/page-6074#post-22587891

The VG247 guys already answered.
A lot of time it's the company themselves that give them information to reveal at X date, or literally tell them, what and/or when the big announcement are, just to get logictically prepared when it's a big news outlet
Others time,and very often, you become friends with people working there after going to events, interview, take a drink etc... it's close friends working in said company that have information, and out of trust, you keep it shut until revealed.
Then, there is sources that comes to you, prove their identity, and give you information in advance (Perhaps against money, at least in true journalism, bribery is common)
Thoughts on Papagenos source?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Can I bring up a topic that everyone likes to keep overlooking for some reason?

The background.

Seriously, compare the waterfalls, and I'm not talking about the skinny little missing one.

One of the waterfalls in the empty Battlefield literally looks slumped over, whereas in the official art, it's the same height.

Can we please talk about this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Insiders think there’s more characters. So if that’s the case and the banner is real but missing one or two characters, then Nintendo can just make one of them next reveal and keep leakers at bay.
Watch that those two are Incineroar and Steve? :p

Untouch

Smash Master
Oh and we assume next reveal makes or breaks this. But it can easily do neither.

Not that it will work in the long run if the banner is real but it might in the short one.

Not that I think Nintendo actually has a way of doing this. I think if there’s any other characters left one of them is dlc and they won’t announce dlc as a base game character because it would mess plans up.

So I think at this point if real, Nintendo might as well yield.
If a character is revealed on the banner, but they're in a different pose, it's debunked.
So the only chance is just Incineroar getting revealed, but no Ken.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

Monkeys? You know who calls people Monkeys?

Frieza.

And you know what franchise he’s from?

Dragon Ball.

And you know who the protagonist is? Yeah, that’s right...

GOKU CONFIRMED

Apu Arms

Smash Rookie
I'm solidly on Team Real, by way of Occam's Razor, but I really need to quit refreshing this thread all the time for the next two weeks. How can I restrain myself???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom