• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner was Alice from Balloon Kid. It was kind of heated in the sense that both Goku and Ayumi were also fighting for that top spot. But Hakkun was plain forgotten. lol

Next will truly decide who is the best Pro Wrestling rep. Your choices are Fighter Hayabusa, Kin Korn Karn, The Amazon, and Starman.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good luck.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not really sure why you drifted back to Ridley after mentioning you wanted Sakurai developing Smash 5. Doesn't seem like Ridley's absence from the roster is one of the larger reasons why some people don't want Sakurai back as the developer.
.. Namco seems like the developers that are interesting in making Ridley work as a playable character. Yeah. Like a challenge that would really give them a thrill.

Namco needs to be director if Sakurai is to be replaced. I trust them.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here's a challenge for everyone. Try to add one newcomer (or cut veteran) to each of the 27 franchises currently in Smash. You can add whoever you want and it doesn't have to be someone likely to get in. The only rule is that is that the character you choose has to be from a game that's already released. You can't just say "Pokémon from Gen VIII" or "Fire Emblem Switch character".

Here's mine:

Super Mario: Pauline
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda: Mipha
Metroid: Ridley
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Wolf
Pokémon: Lycanroc
F-Zero: Black Falcon
EarthBound: Ninten
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Game & Watch: Chef
Kid Icarus: Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley
Pikmin: Alph
Famicom: Diskun
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Wii Fit: Wii Fit Board
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex & Pyra
Duck Hunt (or any game to use NES Zapper): Wild Gunman
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Ghosts
Street Fighter: Ken
Final Fantasy: Black Mage
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Super Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Skull kid
Yoshi: Stork and Poochy as a duo
Kirby: Doroach
Star Fox: Wolf
Pokémon: Grovyle (PMD)
F-Zero: Black Shadow
EarthBound: Ninten
Fire Emblem: Black knight
Game & Watch: Fox (Egg)
Kid Icarus: N/A
WarioWare: 9-Volt
Pikmin: Alph
Famicom: Ice Climbers
Animal Crossing: Mr. Resetti
Wii Fit: N/A
Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex
Duck Hunt (or any game to use NES Zapper): Mr. Stevenstone (Gumshoe)
Sonic: Knuckles
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Toc-man
Street Fighter: Akuma
Bayonetta: N/A
Metal gear: Snake

Fixed version

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Geno Boost Geno Boost They weren't asking who you wanted cut, and removing Bayonetta for Alex Kidd doesn't seem to make much sense, (why would they remove a character with multiple Nintendo exclusives who did really well in the Smash Ballot in favour of a character who basically disappeared after the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog?) as well as going against what was being asked.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Geno Boost Geno Boost They weren't asking who you wanted cut, and removing Bayonetta for Alex Kidd doesn't seem to make much sense, (why would they remove a character with multiple Nintendo exclusives who did really well in the Smash Ballot in favour of a character who basically disappeared after the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog?) as well as going against what was being asked.
"ALEX KIDD IS IMPORTANT TO GAMING HISTORY" is my guess despite how we recently found out it was initially a Dragon Ball game

Geno Boost

Smash Master
We are no longer friends.

\(°|°)/
I actually like Greninja and used him as my started but I don't like how they made Delphox and Chestnaught lame after they gave him a new form also I preferred Diance or Zygarde to be the gen 6 rep since I didn't feel Greninja had interesting character development which is something I feel interest in when it comes to Pokemon rep in smash.
But I will change it since now I understood now what the bracket meant
Ohhhhhh..... I thought the bracket meant which veteran I wanted to cut.....
I kinda broke the rule more by replacing a franchise eh..? But I guess I have to fix that now

As for Alex Kidd...
I needed more console wars I am not going with a Nintendo history with this one but rather SEGA history since he is the mascot of the 2nd most successful SEGA console also I wouldn't say dissapeared since he is still always appearing in crossovers.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ohhhhhh..... I thought the bracket meant which veteran I wanted to cut.....
I kinda broke the rule more by replacing a franchise eh..? But I guess I have to fix that now

As for Alex Kidd...
I needed more console wars I am not going with a Nintendo history with this one but rather SEGA history since he is the mascot of the 2nd most successful SEGA console also I wouldn't say dissapeared since he is still always appearing in crossovers.
By cut veteran, they meant a veteran who had previously been cut from the games, so if you wanted, you could put down Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Pichu for a Pokemon character, for example.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Are there any characters that you guys want to be playable that were assist trophies(like Little Mac)?
My top three :
Waluigi
Ashley
Lyn

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Are there any characters that you guys want to be playable that were assist trophies(like Little Mac)?
My top three :
Waluigi
Ashley
Lyn
A decent amount come to mind for me. Midna, Saki, Takamaru, Dillon, Waluigi, Isabelle, Skull Kid, and if we're counting ones that were only in Brawl, Isaac, Ray, and Excitebiker.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lyn
Andross (with a body) and Waluigi would be my top picks.

Other characters that would be worth adding: Isaac, Dillon, Takamaru and either Tingle /Midna /Skull Kid /Ghirahim

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Isaac, Saki...

And honestly, Magnus. Just because his assist trophy plays like a character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Assist Trophies I WANT to be playable characters? Probably Waluigi, Midna, and a tie between Ashley and Isabelle.

Assist Trophies I EXPECT to be playable characters? Ehhhhh... Not really sure any of the Assist Trophies stand out to me in that sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Assist Trophies I'd like to be playable? Lyn, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Prince Sable, Isaac, Waluigi, Riki

Last edited by a moderator:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Whenever I'm in a roster discussion and hear someome say, “Nintendo will be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they add [character],” I get a bit upset. Not at their opinion of the character, but because of the fact that Nintendo is at fault for that character ending up in that position in the first place. Maybe, just maybe, those characters wouldn't be considered scraping the bottom of the barrel if their creators actually gave them more opportunities to become reasonably iconic. You can't expect a character to become important to their franchise if you're constantly going out of your way to keep them out of the spotlight.

Thank goodness HAL is proving that they at least get the idea.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario: King Boo
Donkey Kong: King K Krool
Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokémon: Marowak
F-Zero: Samurai Goro
EarthBound/Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: A non swordsmen
Game & Watch: a new made up character
Kid Icarus: ???
WarioWare: Ashley
Pikmin: Pikmin
Famicom: Balloon Fighter
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Wii Fit: Mii based upon minigames in Wii fit where u are a mii
Xenoblade Chronicles: ??
Duck Hunt (or any game to use NES Zapper): ??
Sonic: Knuckles
Mega Man: Protoman
Pac-Man: Ghosts
Street Fighter: ??

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Whenever I'm in a roster discussion and hear someome say, “Nintendo will be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they add [character],” I get a bit upset. Not at their opinion of the character, but because of the fact that Nintendo is at fault for that character ending up in that position in the first place. Maybe, just maybe, those characters wouldn't be considered scraping the bottom of the barrel if their creators actually gave them more opportunities to become reasonably iconic. You can't expect a character to become important to their franchise if you're constantly going out of your way to keep them out of the spotlight.

It can't be helped really. Excluding Pokémon and Fire Emblem, there's no way the existing Nintendo franchises would be able to keep adding characters without running out of more iconic options. After you've added the biggest stars like Mario and Link, everything starts going downhill.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Only one Katana user gets in the next Smash.

Pick the one you want: Takamaru, Lyn, Samurai Goroh, {other}

D

Deleted member

Just look at Funky Kong.
Just a few months ago, almost no one seriously considered him due to his NPC status, and now he has his own mode.

Only one Katana user gets in the next Smash.

Pick the one you want: Takamaru, Lyn, Samurai Goroh, {other}
Takamaru.
I don't care for F-Zero and I don't know Lyn will enough, while Takamaru is one of the 6 Nintendo newcomers I really want.

\(°|°)/

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, and this isn't just a Smash Bros. issue either, as other fighting franchises have implemented giant fighters as well. Notable examples include Tekken 6's Azazel (ranked one of the cheapest bosses in a fighting game), along with the Great Apes from the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi titles (most notably, Great Ape Baby, who's arguably the best playable Great Ape in the series).
I mean, it works in traditional fighters because there's less to worry about. They're still unbalanced, but it doesn't throw the game itself out of whack. Huge characters means extreme range, too easy to hit, unfair damage modifiers, and them having way too strong of recoveries(which is why ones like Giga makes way more sense as a boss. Ones like Master Hand would not work outside of Stamina Mode as is, which wouldn't be a huge deal if his actual gameplay was more streamlined instead of basically him going into long uncontrollable animations for his various attacks. Every attack is effectively a cutscene Final Smash with how much you control it, meaning they need to be entirely reworked to work in purely Stamina Mode. A Boss Mode is another story, but it also might not even be that fun if all you're doing is watching the opponent try to play while you press a button once in a while) significantly throws the balance out. There was good suggestions for Ridley as is, even as a smaller character, when it came to recovery and hitboxes, mind you(like not having strong armor during his recovery or having an easier to hit hitbox, as well as folding his wings and making his tail harder to hit except when using it). Even if you reduce Ridley's size alone, he still has a lot of places he can be hit, so you need to balance that out to make him less of a damage sponge in general.

On the other hand, Ridley sounds like he could be fun if he was stamina mode only, even if he had infinite recovery. The thing with characters like this is they need clearly more catered gameplay mechanics to them, which is legitimately not impossible anyway. But it only really works if you make multiple bosses playable this way instead of playing favorites. Even returning older ones in a Boss Mode(so like having two playable versions of Giga Bowser. Boss and Final Smash, with different properties. The Boss version could even have the Smash 4 moveset while the Final Smash has the Brawl/Melee one. Or other ways. There's honestly multiple ways to do it).

Luminario

Smash Lord

"bottom of the barrel" is usually only said by bitter people wrapped up in nostalgia.
I don't think it's fair to say Nintendo doesn't allow other characters to share the spotlight either, as many people have found newer characters endearing thanks to their stories or personality, who get this level of characterisation thanks to being allowed time in the spotlight.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No he's not right. I really hope we get someone else to direct the game other than him.

Sakurai adds too many troll-y things to the game and doesn't seem to understand or WANT to understand anything about competitive play. I'd say everything good about the game is due to the team and not necessarily due to his direction.

If Ridley is a big character, so what? Just let him be big. Giant characters exist in other fighting games, there can be one in this one too.
I disagree.
  1. Every newcomer Sakurai has ever added was a good decision. He never made a mistake when it comes to adding newcomers. Pichu included.
  2. Super Smash Bros was never designed to be competitive. It's literally one of the dumbest and most obnoxious games you could play competitively. It's not his job to appeal to a demographic that the game isn't intended for.
  3. What's you're idea of troll-y? Not giving people everything they want 100% of the time?
  4. The problem about Ridley is not just being true to his character, but balancing.
I just want Sakurai to be in charge of the roster. I'd be fine with someone else directing the actual game itself.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Every newcomer Sakurai has ever added was a good decision. He never made a mistake when it comes to adding newcomers. Pichu included.
Lol
Super Smash Bros was never designed to be competitive. It's literally one of the dumbest and most obnoxious games you could play competitively. It's not his job to appeal to a demographic that the game isn't intended for.
His job is to make Nintendo money.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
2. Super Smash Bros was never designed to be competitive. It's literally one of the dumbest and most obnoxious games you could play competitively. It's not his job to appeal to a demographic that the game isn't intended for.
Sakurai has always intended for Smash Bros. to be a competitive game. He's just never strictly appealed to either hardcore players or casual players. There's a difference between competitive games that friends and family can play for fun and competitive games that dedicated gamers play to face-off against those of equal or greater skill in aggressive matches. Sakurai has done his best to appeal to both without completely ruining the experience for either demographic (which should be his ultimate goal anyway, since his job is to create a game for Nintendo that will sell to a broad audience of gamers).

SSB4's "For Fun" and "For Glory" modes are a testament to this.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai has always intended for Smash Bros. to be a competitive game. He's just never strictly appealed to either hardcore players or casual players. There's a difference between competitive games that friends and family can play for fun and competitive games that dedicated players play to face-off against in aggressive matches against those of equal or greater skill. Sakurai has done his best to appeal to both without completely ruining the experience for either demographic (which should be his ultimate goal anyway, since his job is to create a game for Nintendo that will sell to a broad audience of gamers).

Although it might depend which game. Smash 64 wasn't really designed to be more than casual overall(it still had some competitive bits, mainly L-Cancelling, and Teching has been clearly designed for competitive players to use. The various advanced techs were added for a reason). Melee clearly had competitive gameplay in mind, but it was a bit more of an accident and the fact it was that severely competitive wasn't the entire intention. Brawl was made with casuals fully in mind, which isn't how it worked out, at least balance-wise it had big issues. Smash 4 was designed clearly to cater to both quite heavily.(although obviously Smash 4 also had different versions with notable points to them. 3DS was clearly meant more for single player, having an almost rpg-like mode with Smash Run, while Smash Wii U was dedicated significantly more to multiplayer. You had Classic and All-Star with two player, same with Event Matches, plus the GameCube Controller support).

It's clearly a bit mixed, but he definitely does have competitive players in mind, but that's basically a bit more simple than the overall reality.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has always intended for Smash Bros. to be a competitive game. He's just never strictly appealed to either hardcore players or casual players. There's a difference between competitive games that friends and family can play for fun and competitive games that dedicated gamers play to face-off against those of equal or greater skill in aggressive matches. Sakurai has done his best to appeal to both without completely ruining the experience for either demographic (which should be his ultimate goal anyway, since his job is to create a game for Nintendo that will sell to a broad audience of gamers).

Although it might depend which game. Smash 64 wasn't really designed to be more than casual overall(it still had some competitive bits, mainly L-Cancelling, and Teching has been clearly designed for competitive players to use. The various advanced techs were added for a reason). Melee clearly had competitive gameplay in mind, but it was a bit more of an accident and the fact it was that severely competitive wasn't the entire intention. Brawl was made with casuals fully in mind, which isn't how it worked out, at least balance-wise it had big issues. Smash 4 was designed clearly to cater to both quite heavily.(although obviously Smash 4 also had different versions with notable points to them. 3DS was clearly meant more for single player, having an almost rpg-like mode with Smash Run, while Smash Wii U was dedicated significantly more to multiplayer. You had Classic and All-Star with two player, same with Event Matches, plus the GameCube Controller support).

It's clearly a bit mixed, but he definitely does have competitive players in mind, but that's basically a bit more simple than the overall reality.
^ This.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It appears that Starman is the most wanted Pro Wrestkong character with Fghter Hayabusa coming close. The Amazon and Kin Korn Kart were the weakest links.

Next will be something that may or may not be controversial to some: Fire Emblem reps. And I will be going in order of game from the first to the most recent. Your choices are Tiki, Anna, Draug, and Cain/Abel. All from Shadow Dragon.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good luck.

D

Deleted member

inb4 someone shows up and says "there's no option for none!"
(This is going to be longer than the Pokemon one, isn't it?)

\(°|°)/

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My three assist trophies to upgrade

Skull Kid for me obviously
Maybe Isabelle?

And I guess Dark Samus, or maybe Waluigi.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'd rather Smash go with other sword characters than with Fire Emblem characters (unless a FE character is chosen that truly breaks the mold like Robin).

Such as: Rex & Pyra, Takamaru, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, ect.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather Smash go with other sword characters than with Fire Emblem characters
Which is ironic considering most of the characters on the poll either use more than just swords or they don't use them at all.

\(°|°)/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom