• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There was a "Rate their Chances" on Ninten and he got 40%

That's way too high for a character that just looks like Ness but doesn't wear a backpack

SonicMario

Smash Master
There was a "Rate their Chances" on Ninten and he got 40%

That's way too high for a character that just looks like Ness but doesn't wear a backpack
Probably cause people are still in echo fever (Or at least was done way because it was heavy at the time of the rating) pretty much xP

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and predict the remaining characters. I'm going for a 5-5 situation:

Uniques:
-Incineroar
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Karate Joe
-Geno/Banjo

Echos:
-Isabelle
-Ken
-Shadow
-Dixie/Funky
-Impa/someone else
I’ll give it a shot

Uniques:
- Elma
- Bandana Dee
- Isaac OR Geno
- Gen 7
- Chorus Kids

Echoes:
- Ken (Ryu)
- Dixie (Diddy)
- Zack (Cloud) OR Celica (Robin)
- Impa (Sheik) OR Shadow (Sonic)
- Fiora (Elma) Isabelle (Villager)

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I'll be honest, I want there to be DLC Echoes. Faster, easier to produce means we'd get a lot more characters.
Honestly, we can say people wouldn't want to pay for clones...buuttt Roy and Lucas were DLC. Veterans, yes, but still essentially clones.

Make them cheaper, do bundle packs, and I bet people would love them..especially considering how many Echo Fighters people are hoping for anyway.
Lucas and Roy aren’t really clones, especially Lucas. They probably brought those two pack for nostalgia tbh. I see one or two packs happening, but they’ll probably focus one newer characters (Rex, Spring Man, Three Houses character) and fab requests that maybe didn’t make it (Banjo, Crash).

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
My predictions at this point:

- Isaac
- Incineroar
- Bandana Dee
- Karate Joe or Chorus Kids
- Geno

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
My predictions:
Isaac 65%
Geno 60%
Bandana Dee 60%
Skull Kid 50%
Chorus Kids 45%
Inceneroar 40%
Banjo and Kazooie 40%

Isabelle 70%
Shadow 65%
Dixie Kong 60%
Impa 50%

I don’t expect all of them fyi

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Some taglines I just came up with.
  • Isaac shakes the Earth!
    • Felix lucks out!
  • Bandana Dee pokes his way in!
  • Isabelle sorts it out!
  • Shadow brings the Chaos!
  • Tails flies into Battle!
  • Dixie whirls in!
  • Medusa petrifies the crowd!
  • Roll cleans up!
  • Vaati blows everyone away!
  • Celica shines bright!
  • Geno is the Star!
I'll do some, too:
Geno serves a higher authority!
Mallow storms up!
Wart conquers dreams!
Incineroar slams the competition!
Decidueye takes a shot!
Lycanroc rocks the battlefield!

Some impossible, non-deconfirmed ones:
Gourmet Guy bakes the competition!
Reckless Safety Notice Man lets go!
Shrek gets his game on!
Darth Vader unleashes the Dark Side!
Kylo Ren shows the way of the force!
Chase McCain builds up the tension!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'll be optimistic and go 6:6

Pokemon Rep (only one of vergeben's source said Incineroar, But I guess he's the most likely anyway)
Skull Kid
Isaac
Karate Joe (our WTF character)
Geno+Mallow (I personally think if he's going to do Geno, he'll surprise everyone and add Mallow to a moveset or a character switch)
Bonus surprise: Banjo (Final reveal, closer for smash info)

Echoes:
Dixie
Isabelle
Ken
Shadow
Felix (Isaac Echo)
Impa/Hilda (one or the other)
Black knight (a possibility)

Add Bandana Dee as a replacement for one of those slots because he's one of Japan's top characters still.

In before people argue too many male mewcomers in a game with anthropomorphic animals and videogame characters. I just personally think this is the best remaining roster they could offer still.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My list of predictions:
  • September: A regular Nintendo Direct
    • A gameplay snippet of Ultimate as they showcase online games for a Nintendo Online segment (which will most likely be just a Final Smash)
    • A newcomer trailer at the end of it. The character will be from a franchise that's still mainstream, like Zelda or Pokemon.
    • Maybe a tease to an upcoming Smash-based event similar to when they revealed Cloud back in 2015, but it's not a guarantee.
  • October: Smash Direct
    • Talks about the new modes, like "Spirits" and returning modes from past games.
    • Drops a few characters, if not the entre roster.
    • Brings up online play and how it'll work.
  • November: [number]-Fact Extravaganza
    • Covers things that wouldn't have fit in any of the previous Directs.
    • If there's still some characters left to announce, it's all coming out here.
    • Any modes left uncovered will be brought up.
    • Potential DLC tease a la Mewtwo?
Sounds about right to me.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and predict the remaining characters. I'm going for a 5-5 situation:

Uniques:
-Incineroar
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Karate Joe
-Geno/Banjo

Echos:
-Isabelle
-Ken
-Shadow
-Dixie/Funky
-Impa/someone else
Gonna have my shot to.

Uniques:

- Isaac (Golden Sun)
- Bandana Dee (Kirby)
- Geno (SMRPG)
- Gen 7
- Ray (Custom Robo)

Echoes:

- Isabella (AC)
- Ken (Street Fighter)
- Shadow (Sonic)
- Dixie Kong (DK)
- Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Optional, but still possible echoes.

- Black Knight (Fire Emblem)

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
My predictions:
Isaac 65%
Geno 60%
This isn't my personal bias getting in the way, but I still find it weird that people suddenly think Isaac has a better chance than Geno now because of a single Rathalos image. Geno has been mentioned by Sakurai for years and even had a special Mii costume in Smash 4. Isaac had an Assist Trophy way back in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

My favorite Smash fan-rules have got to be:
"Pokemon should only have 6 fighters because that's the number of Pokemon in a party"
"Samus should be the only Metroid character because the series is all about isolation"
"There's always a WTF/retro character"

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is it just me or are people vastly overestimating Isabelle's importance? I've seen her described as "a new face of the company" and "more of an all star than 3/4 of the cast". I know she's in a lot of promotional stuff but she's only been in one mainline game. I don't think she's even old enough to be considered an "all star". Popular? Sure. Important enough to be in smash? Sure. But people are way overstating this character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My predictions:
Isaac 65%
Geno 60%
Bandana Dee 60%
Skull Kid 50%
Chorus Kids 45%
Inceneroar 40%
Banjo and Kazooie 40%

Isabelle 70%
Shadow 65%
Dixie Kong 60%
Impa 50%

I don’t expect all of them fyi
Here’s my take:

Isaac: 70% (the screenshot helped him)
Geno: 50%
Chorus Kids: 60%
Elma: 80%
Bandana Waddle Dee: 65%
Gen 7: 90% (Incineroar 77%, Decidueye 10%, Buzzwole 36%)
Skull Kid: 55%
Heihachi: 45%
Lloyd Irving: 58%
Shantae: 25%
Neku: 49%
Saki Amamiya (AT absent): 15%
Monster Hunter character: 4% (having Rathalos and the stage revealed before a playable character does not bode well)
Banjo & Kazooie: 8%
ARMS character or Rex & Pyra: DLC% (0% for base roster)

Dixie: 60%
Isabelle: 82%
Shadow: 64%
Impa: 40%
Celica: 35%
Zack: 20%
Ken: 76%
Octoling: DLC% (0% for base roster)

...Dante, Black Shadow, KOS-MOS, Kumatora, Fiora, Fatal Frame character: In My Dreams% :(

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Something I noticed about Character Reveals for Ultimate so far...

They've revealed characters like so...

:ultinkling:(:ultlucina::ultdarkpit:):ultdaisy::ultridley:
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:

Reveal a new character, then three Echoes (Lucina and Dark Pit were officially labelled as Echoes right before Daisy's reveal), then finish off with another new character.

I'm wondering if this is the plan for this game's hype cycle (and therefore a pattern) or just a coincidence.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My prediction, noting that I am still a sap that gravitates towards any leak with an iota of credibility that allows for Gardevoir (stupid confirmation bias)

6 newcomers: going nuts with Echos

Newcomers

1. Skull Kid
  2. Bandana Waddle Dee
  3. Incenaroar (Gen 7 Pokemon in general)
  4. Gardevoir
  5. Geno (If Sqaure is willing to play ball, replace with Isaac otherwise)
  6. Skull Kid
Echos

1. Dry Bowser
  2. Funky Kong
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Hilda
  5. Impa
  6. Yarn Yoshi
  7. Birdo (would still be Mario character)
  8. Gothitelle
  9. Plusle/Minum
  10. Medusa
  11. Shadow the Hedgehog
  12. Isabelle (If Gardevoir is as bust as fan-art makes them, replace with as newcomer)
  13. Roll (Still a chance)
  14. Octoling
  15. Felix/Matthew (If Issac is in)

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Is it just me or are people vastly overestimating Isabelle's importance? I've seen her described as "a new face of the company" and "more of an all star than 3/4 of the cast". I know she's in a lot of promotional stuff but she's only been in one mainline game. I don't think she's even old enough to be considered an "all star". Popular? Sure. Important enough to be in smash? Sure. But people are way overstating this character.
Honestly, Tom Nook would be a better choice than her if he wasn't in Villager's Final Smash. I think Dark Samus/Chrom/Inkling are all the "recent" characters we're gonna get, and I'm okay with that if it means older Nintendo characters get a chance.

EDIT: Forgot Inkling, lol

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
If you have Isaac as the most highest percentage in your prediction, your a dedicated supporter.

Oddbaum21

Smash Rookie
I think Non Specific Action Figure will be the wtf character so that Nintendo can try to revive the Wii U.

Also, if Gothitelle gets in, I’ll probably throw my phone across the room just out of pure hatred for her. Hated her since I first saw her.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh really now?

View attachment 158843

That's not much bigger than Pit
Then she decided to get bigger for some reason
Something I noticed about Character Reveals for Ultimate so far...

They've revealed characters like so...

:ultinkling:(:ultlucina::ultdarkpit:):ultdaisy::ultridley:
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:

Reveal a new character, then three Echoes (Lucina and Dark Pit were officially labelled as Echoes right before Daisy's reveal), then finish off with another new character.

I'm wondering if this is the plan for this game's hype cycle (and therefore a pattern) or just a coincidence.
im not sure if Edgy Pit and Lady Marth should be counted regardless of them being used to debut the new clone name...since they’re vets who debuted in Smash 4 (and stahp looking for patterns...Sakurai will only crush your heart more)
Tbf...there’s only 4 main games in the series and she’s seems big enough to join Mario in some good old fashion safe racing as well as have a Mii Costume...also Dark Pit and Shulk (hell also nearly Bayo) aren’t old enough to be all stars if it’s based on how long they’ve been a thing

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
My favorite Smash fan-rules have got to be:
"Pokemon should only have 6 fighters because that's the number of Pokemon in a party"
"Samus should be the only Metroid character because the series is all about isolation"
"There's always a WTF/retro character"
To be quite fair it's happened 3 times in the past 3 games (Smash 4 even had multiple).

Sakurai likes surprising people so I wouldn't be shocked if there is at least 1 weird/silly new character in the roster.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Do we know if nintendo is even doing something with smash at gamescom? They haven't announced anything yet afaik.
The game will be present, they specifically made it clear in their own website that smash would be one of the highlights at gamescom (meaning playable). As for reveals and such… obviously they didn't say, otherwise it would ruint he surprise if there's actually something.

Didn’t they reveal an ARMS character last year? I could see them maybe revealing a fighter or even an echo
Yep Lola Pop for Arms

True but they didn't really do anything prior. Same with EVO, lots of people expected something because every fighting game present has at least 1 new announcement even if Nintendo never did that.
I know. However, Nintendo NEVER had EVO announcements before which is why people doubted it, but people had hope as everyone else did and Smash is their big 2018 game
These things should just teach us once and for all to not expect that Nintendo follows a constant pattern for the rest of our lifetime. Everything is always changing and we should be open to the possibilities (while expecting nothing at the same time to avoid disappointment, of course…)

Also, good day everyone!, looks like I only missed a Nindies direct huh? Well i gotta say… “in fact, stay tuned for even more info coming very soon” totally makes me believe in a nintendo direct maybe early September or at the very end of August. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce the announcement for it at the last day of Gamescom or something.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

im not sure if Edgy Pit and Lady Marth should be counted regardless of them being used to debut the new clone name...since they’re vets who debuted in Smash 4 (and stahp looking for patterns...Sakurai will only crush your heart more)

Tbf...there’s only 4 main games in the series and she’s seems big enough to join Mario in some good old fashion safe racing as well as have a Mii Costume...also Dark Pit and Shulk (hell also nearly Bayo) aren’t old enough to be all stars if it’s based on how long they’ve been a thing
I agree that dark Pit and shulk aren't all stars. Not every character in smash is. But to say she's more of an all star than 3/4 of the cast is silly. I still think she can be in, but all star is a little much. She's only an all star compared to the remaining pool of character not already in.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
This isn't my personal bias getting in the way, but I still find it weird that people suddenly think Isaac has a better chance than Geno now because of a single Rathalos image. Geno has been mentioned by Sakurai for years and even had a special Mii costume in Smash 4. Isaac had an Assist Trophy way back in Brawl.
Isaac is simply more popular than Geno. Not to say that Geno isn’t popular. Also Isaac is owned by Nintendo.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to assume there are only 4 unique characters left:

- Incineroar
- Geno
- Skull Kid
- Isaac

It kinda depends on the final stage count. If 103 is indeed the total number of stages (which I don't think), I'm leaving Isaac out and only expect 3 more newcomers.

Untouch

Smash Master
Oh I don't expect reveals, just wondering if we'll get a new demo, it's the first event since the august 8th direct.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The game will be present, they specifically made it clear in their own website that smash would be one of the highlights at gamescom (meaning playable). As for reveals and such… obviously they didn't say, otherwise it would ruint he surprise if there's actually something.

Yep Lola Pop for Arms

These things should just teach us once and for all to not expect that Nintendo follows a constant pattern for the rest of our lifetime. Everything is always changing and we should be open to the possibilities (while expecting nothing at the same time to avoid disappointment, of course…)

Also, good day everyone!, looks like I only missed a Nindies direct huh? Well i gotta say… “in fact, stay tuned for even more info coming very soon” totally makes me believe in a nintendo direct maybe early September or at the very end of August. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce the announcement for it at the last day of Gamescom or something.
That... Wasn't my point? My point was that people expecting Smash out of everything Nintendo does even if they say it's only going to focus on something else is stupid

KMDP

Smash Legend
As Gods; Palutena, Medusa and Viridi seem to be able to change their general size at will (though since we've never actually seen Viridi in her human size form, she probably doesn't like using it in public, because she's self-conscious about her short stature). As the most "down to Earth" of the three, Palutena uses the human-sized form almost exclusively.
I was merely raising the possibility, not declaring it as a pattern.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Technically All-Stars means they were all the starring role in something.

So Shulk is technically one.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That... Wasn't my point? My point was that people expecting Smash out of everything Nintendo does even if they say it's only going to focus on something else is stupid
I know ,I was just completing with my opinion of it as well for everyone to read. I don't know why people expected something out of the Nindies direct tho, that's beyond me.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just wondering, how many people here expect the "predictable" outcome of a few unique newcomers, all of them being ballot choices like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, etc. Right now, this is what I generally see of Smashboards speculation right now.

How much confidence do you have on this outcome? Why so?

Do you expect your predictions for Smash Ultimate to be easily subverted by Sakurai?

The second question in particular is what I would appreciate an in-depth response for.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just wondering, how many people here expect the "predictable" outcome of a few unique newcomers, all of them being ballot choices like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, etc. Right now, this is what I generally see of Smashboards speculation right now.

Do you expect your predictions for Smash Ultimate to be easily subverted by Sakurai?

The second question in particular is what I would appreciate an in-depth response for.
When the game was announced all I expected was Spring Man. Now all I expect is you paying me

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My Predictions:

September: Nintendo Direct, ends with a trailer for the Pokémon newcomer (Tapu Koko or Incineroar), no other Smash news than that.

October: Smash Direct, opens with Bandana Dee trailer and showcase, Isabelle and Impa as echoes, reveals Spirits mode, showcase of other modes (HRC, Break the Targets, Target Blast, Multi-Man, Master and Crazy Orders, Challenges), ends with Skull Kid trailer.

November: Final presentation, reveals Shadow and Ken as echoes, details Online, Geno trailer and showcase, ends by showing us the full character select screen and All-Star + announcement of DLC happening.

Edit: I fully expect to be wrong, because Sakurai isn't that easy to figure out.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'll be optimistic and go 6:6

Pokemon Rep (only one of vergeben's source said Incineroar, But I guess he's the most likely anyway)
Skull Kid
Isaac
Karate Joe (our WTF character)
Geno+Mallow (I personally think if he's going to do Geno, he'll surprise everyone and add Mallow to a moveset or a character switch)
Bonus surprise: Banjo (Final reveal, closer for smash info)

Echoes:
Dixie
Isabelle
Ken
Shadow
Felix (Isaac Echo)
Impa/Hilda (one or the other)
Black knight (a possibility)

Add Bandana Dee as a replacement for one of those slots because he's one of Japan's top characters still.

In before people argue too many male mewcomers in a game with anthropomorphic animals and videogame characters. I just personally think this is the best remaining roster they could offer still.
It's awesome to see Black Knight mentioned now and then. I think he's actually a pretty likely echoe considering he was replaced by a generic soldier in the castle siege stage.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

I don't expect anything. I'm horrible at predicting the future. :^)

5% confidence. Because it's a pipedream.

Yes. Most of the time, sakurai is very unpredictable. He's not someone who would follow the normal "wanted" characters. SmashBoards doesn't usually get things right a lot of the time, so i'm expecting to be wrong as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom