• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Seems weird for Falcon and Fox to assist Snake, and Samus...she could go either way

I would probably picture Snake targeting Palutena for stealing his “stolen gimmick” while Pit is held hostage somewhere, and Sonic is captured due to being Sonic. Mario just tries to fight everybody like he did in Smash 4
In Brawl, Snake was a Falcon fanboy so it would be cool for Snake to have Falcon on his team. Fox being an ally is supposed to be a reference to Gray Fox while Wolf being on the opposing team would be a reference to Sniper Wolf. Samus being on Snake's team would be a reference to Snake's admiration for Samus in Brawl and Link being on his team would be a reference to both of them being Mr. Utility Belt like Otacon puts it.

Mario being on the enemy team references the rivalry Snake and Mario had in Brawl or at least in Snake's trailer. Sonic being on the enemy team is a reference on how Snake doesn't like him and just wants to take him down. Cloud being on the enemy team would be a reference to Metal Gear Solid vs Final Fantasy VII during the Playstation era as well as Playstation mascots fighting each other.

Another character I would add is Corrin as the leader of the enemy team. Cam Clarke...you know where I'm going with this.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
As somebody who's only Kirby game has been Air Ride, this remix is one of my favorites of Ultimate.
If you're going to remix any other Kirby Air Ride music, remix Checker Knights or at the very least, put the original track back on Halberd.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Still think it would've been better to hold all those mini-trailers until that character's blog update, giving us more consistently engaging updates.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
In Brawl, Snake was a Falcon fanboy so it would be cool for Snake to have Falcon on his team. Fox being an ally is supposed to be a reference to Gray Fox while Wolf being on the opposing team would be a reference to Sniper Wolf. Samus being on Snake's team would be a reference to Snake's admiration for Samus in Brawl and Link being on his team would be a reference to both of them being Mr. Utility Belt like Otacon puts it.

Mario being on the enemy team references the rivalry Snake and Mario had in Brawl or at least in Snake's trailer. Sonic being on the enemy team is a reference on how Snake doesn't like him and just wants to take him down. Cloud being on the enemy team would be a reference to Metal Gear Solid vs Final Fantasy VII during the Playstation era as well as Playstation mascots fighting each other.

Another character I would add is Corrin as the leader of the enemy team. Cam Clarke...you know where I'm going with this.
That’s some deep thinking right there, though the Mario part was more of an honorable battle than a rivalry, and Snake vs Cloud...vs Crash vs Spyro

D

Deleted member

Showing respect is fine. People here saying "omg he gave us Ridley and all the veterans cut him some slack" is not respect, it's talking down on others who have legitimate concerns with how business has been conducted with these games.
You are right, actually.

You seem to be a smart guy who knows a lot of stuff.
Uploading a Kirby song, Sakurai?

You don't need to give me more hints, I already know Bandana Dee is playable, but thanks anyways.
Considering Kirby has so much good songs, it deserves more songs.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Still think it would've been better to hold all those mini-trailers until that character's blog update, giving us more consistently engaging updates.
I don't know if it's a good or bad idea but I do know that in the alternate universe where we get these weekly I'm pretty sure I'd have been salty that they K.O.ed Jigglypuff via Marth's shieldbreaker in her own trailer.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
For the obvious reasons, City trial would make a cool Smash Run map if they had multiple maps.

City Trial, BotW Hyrule castle, New Donk City, Brinstar, Pokémon something or other (victory road?), Underworld, Ashera's Tower ect.. Lots of potential for unique looks, layouts and gimmicks.

Waaay too much work for a side mode though unfortunately.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I'm nitpicking here, but the fact that we got ANOTHER Kirby Air Ride remix before we ever got a full
  • Dream Land 2 remix
  • Dream Land 3 remix
  • Canvas Curse / Rainbow Curse remix
  • Epic Yarn remix
  • Return to Dreamland remix
  • Triple Deluxe remix
  • Planet Robobot remix
seems really weird. Like, I love City Trial, its without a doubt the best part of Air Ride, but I can't help but get a "Smash team trying to avoid non-Sakurai Kirby games" sort of feeling. I don't know. I'm a grumpy old man who hates everything, so maybe that's just it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm nitpicking here, but the fact that we got ANOTHER Kirby Air Ride remix before we ever got a full
  • Dream Land 2 remix
  • Dream Land 3 remix
  • Epic Yarn remix
  • Triple Deluxe remix
  • Planet Robobot remix
seems really weird. Like, I love City Trial, its without a doubt the best part of Air Ride, but I can't help but get a "Smash team trying to avoid non-Sakurai Kirby games" sort of feeling. I don't know. I'm a grumpy old man who hates everything, so maybe that's just it.
Sakubias confirmed.

First the ballot and now this, he hates the fans.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
  • Dream Land 2 remix
  • Dream Land 3 remix
  • Epic Yarn remix
  • Triple Deluxe remix
  • Planet Robobot remix
Haha and people still think we’re getting Bandanna Dee.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
We've gotten two fighters this week, right? If so:
  • Fighters are being revealed at a pace of about 12 per month.
  • So far, 11 have been covered (55 fighters remaining)
  • 5 months from now is conveniently December, which means that we're looking at anywhere from 61 - 64 more characters being covered (61 if we count 10 remaining in July, 12 for August - November, and 3 from the first week of December, and 64 if we add the second week of December when the game releases).
  • Which means that we'll be seeing 6 - 9 more newcomers assuming that this pattern continues and all characters are revealed before release. We may see more than this if the pattern continues but not all characters are revealed.
Of course, this is assuming that the pattern continues, which it likely won't. Also, they say that when you assume you make an *** out of you and me, so watch me be wrong.
That's pretty much my line of thought. I noticed the three fighters thing at the end of the second week, but wanted to see if it followed suit last week before really committing to it. Assuming we get newcomer reveals sprinkled across our time towards release, it does make sense that some of the weeks could have a newcomer post, replacing what would normally be a veteran post.

I know looking at patterns hasn't worked well in the past for Smash speculation, but this Blog seems much more formulaic than the past Dojo/Pic of the Days. It's got a clear structure and given the short period between now and launch, it makes sense to structure the reveals since they only have so much time to showcase what needs to be shown.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Got a lot of requests to look into the claims that Bayo's parameters were copied from ZSS in 1.0.6 (two weeks after the ballot). I can confirm that they were. 3 people looked into it.
Enjoy.
The extra confirmation so people can't just say it was madeup is nice. Something I want to point out though is that Bayo being chosen and having development started within 2 weeks of the Ballot from very initial results is nonsensical, due to the combination of the time the character selection process, licensing, and initial development takes, combined with the fact that patches are finalized well before they actually go online (with version 1.0.6 probably being finalized before the Ballot launched). As such, the data points to that Bayonetta was planned and her development started before the Ballot, rather than Sakurai rushing to choose her and starting development within 2 weeks of the Ballot launching.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Got a lot of requests to look into the claims that Bayo's parameters were copied from ZSS in 1.0.6 (two weeks after the ballot). I can confirm that they were. 3 people looked into it.
Enjoy.
I was afriad of that scenario. Thanks as always SG.
I hope people don't repeat that Twitter bombing bull**** from last week over it.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
  • Dream Land 2 remix
  • Dream Land 3 remix
  • Epic Yarn remix
  • Triple Deluxe remix
  • Planet Robobot remix
Well it's not like we get the Air Ride remixes often. There's only one other Air Ride Remix in Smash Bros.: The Brawl remix of The Legendary Air Ride Machine. This means that the last time we got an Air Ride remix was 10 years ago. A.K.A. Before half of those games even existed.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've gotta say, I loved the character posters that came with Sm4sh newcomers. Bring on Ridley's!

I do hope that we get the awesome trailers and posters for all of the newcomers.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
For the obvious reasons, City trial would make a cool Smash Run map if they had multiple maps.

City Trial, BotW Hyrule castle, New Donk City, Brinstar, Pokémon something or other (victory road?), Underworld, Ashera's Tower ect.. Lots of potential for unique looks, layouts and gimmicks.

Waaay too much work for a side mode though unfortunately.
New Port City, Temple, a FE dungeon and Palutena’s Temple aswell

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We've gotten two fighters this week, right? If so:
  • Fighters are being revealed at a pace of about 12 per month.
  • So far, 11 have been covered (55 fighters remaining)
  • 5 months from now is conveniently December, which means that we're looking at anywhere from 61 - 64 more characters being covered (61 if we count 10 remaining in July, 12 for August - November, and 3 from the first week of December, and 64 if we add the second week of December when the game releases).
  • Which means that we'll be seeing 6 - 9 more newcomers assuming that this pattern continues and all characters are revealed before release. We may see more than this if the pattern continues but not all characters are revealed.
Of course, this is assuming that the pattern continues, which it likely won't. Also, they say that when you assume you make an *** out of you and me, so watch me be wrong.
Ok I just did the math on this and I don't follow.
So I counted weeks because that's more accurate and including the week of E3 to the week of release that's 26 weeks, 3 each is 78 fighter updates.
Echoes get their own videos, Pokemon Trainer share one and miis share one.

That's 64 character videos for the characters we know. 78-64 = 14...14 more newcomers. That's a lot in my opinion. So yea I don't think that pattern will stick lol.

Check my math if I'm wrong, I'm double checking and will edit if I am.

Edit 1: I think your math is off because a month isn't always 4 weeks, like August is 5 this year.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Maybe Ridley's poster will feature some other newcomers we don't have yet.

Not gonna lie, I'd cream a little if Ridley and K. Rool had a poster together.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok I just did the math on this and I don't follow.
So I counted weeks because that's more accurate and including the week of E3 to the week of release that's 26 weeks, 3 each is 78 fighter updates.
Echoes get their own videos, Pokemon Trainer share one and miis share one.

That's 64 character videos for the characters we know. 78-64 = 14...14 more newcomers. That's a lot in my opinion. So yea I don't think that pattern will stick lol.

Check my math if I'm wrong, I'm double checking and will edit if I am.

Edit 1: I think your math is off because a month isn't always 4 weeks, like August is 5 this year.
14 is the same amount of newcomers in Melee. With Echoes being a thing I don't think 14 newcomers is unreasonable.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
There’s 66 fighters now. I think they’ll add 10 more. That way they can say “over 75 fighters” in advertising. Sounds sexy

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
At most we will get maybe 8-10 newcomers I think, including echoes.
Not only because of Sakurai saying not to expect too many due to time on getting newcomers, but also because being honest we have nearly plateaued on getting almost every major character left in the last 19 years.

I mean DLC will always leave open new possibilities, but even expecting a double digit of newcomers before December just seems very iffy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I dont think Kirby need more reps I think all the main cast is there.
I'd argue at this point that Bandana Waddle Dee is one of the main cast members. Ever since RtDL they've been viewed as a quartet.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
14 more.

17 total. Too many in my opinion with all the veterans added. I'd love it though!
How many reasonable echoes are there? We could see a bunch of those. I definitely think people either expect too many newcomers or expect too few, but I think between 10 and 20 with a lot of them being echoes is a safe bet.

Fire Emblem has a lot of potential echoes. Hell, they had a whole warriors game full of Echoes! :awesome:
They could probably get some echoes out of F-Zero.
Kirby has like ten zillion Meta Knight lookalikes, one of those could be an Echo.
I'd imagine they'll either go crazy with echoes or we'll only get one or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Echoes than "true" newcomers this time.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
How many reasonable echoes are there? We could see a bunch of those. I definitely think people either expect too many newcomers or expect too few, but I think between 10 and 20 with a lot of them being echoes is a safe bet.

Fire Emblem has a lot of potential echoes. Hell, they had a whole warriors game full of Echoes! :awesome:
Kirby has like ten zillion Meta Knight lookalikes, one of those could be an Echo.
I'd imagine they'll either go crazy with echoes or we'll only get one or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Echoes than "true" newcomers this time.
Well...we don't know yet but I've been speculating echoes will be popular characters or characters that are important and can be made echoes easily. So will we get Dark Metaknight? Probably not. But Impa, Chrom, Dark Samus and Isabelle all seem good popular picks.

But I won't know if thats the right way to think until we see another echo...if there's another echo :/

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well...we don't know yet but I've been speculating echoes will be popular characters or characters that are important and can be made echoes easily. So will we get Dark Metaknight? Probably not. But Impa, Chrom, Dark Samus and Isabelle all seem good popular picks.

But I won't know if thats the right way to think until we see another echo...if there's another echo :/
It's just hard to imagine Sakurai inventing this term to justify effortless clones and then not doing anything with it. I'm not going to be hurt if there aren't any more (Ridley and K. Rool are all I need and K. Rool is for my boys), but I'd be surprised.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Whoa Sakurai, that City Trial remix is illegal to release without consent.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I kind of want there to be one more Echo for the sole purpose of making my "A Forceful Echo" battle into a 4v4.

:ultmarth::ultpeach::ultpit:+1 vs :ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit:+1

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I'd argue at this point that Bandana Waddle Dee is one of the main cast members. Ever since RtDL they've been viewed as a quartet.
Well how come Sakurai dont treat Bandana Dee character in his game. Besides Sakurai dont reference the modern Kirby games expect for trophy's or music and Dee did play big role in returns dreamland so how come in smash 4 we didn't get a Returns Dreamland stage. We're not sure if he hates the modern Kirby games or license issues. Do you get mine point.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well how come Sakurai dont treat Bandana Dee character in his game. Besides Sakurai dont reference the modern Kirby games expect for trophy's or music and Dee did play big role in returns dreamland so how come in smash 4 we didn't get a Returns Dreamland stage. We're not sure if he hates the modern Kirby games or license issues. Do you get mine point.
Not really, because this post doesn't really have anything to do with the post that Opo replied to.

In your initial post, you said that you thought we didn't need anymore Kirby characters because we already have all the main characters, but now you're trying to make a completely different point.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dont think Kirby need more reps I think all the main cast is there.
Sakurai doesn't like the sequelization of the game industry, and the production of Air Ride ran into problems, so he only has attachment for the works he did (although he probably doesn't mess with anyone else's Kirby stuff out of respect. Also, Takasmash, your posts contradict themselves.

Besides, in terms of series Sakurai's been on, Kid Icarus still needs a villain or two before it's all set.

I wouldn't hold my breath on more F-Zero representation just yet, but those are reasonable assumptions otherwise.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not really, because this post doesn't really have anything to do with the post that Opo replied to.

In your initial post, you said that you thought we didn't need anymore Kirby characters because we already have all the main characters, but now you're trying to make a completely different point.
They can't prove you wrong if you change your argument
black-head-tap-guy.jpg

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
7 more. We are looking at 3 original and 4 echo maybe. The roster looks to neat with that number.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
At most we will get maybe 8-10 newcomers I think, including echoes.
Not only because of Sakurai saying not to expect too many due to time on getting newcomers, but also because being honest we have nearly plateaued on getting almost every major character left in the last 19 years.

I mean DLC will always leave open new possibilities, but even expecting a double digit of newcomers before December just seems very iffy.
I agree with all of this, but I'm gonna take a shot at what I believe would be the minimum outcome. Six Newcomers + 4 Echo Fighters. Leaving us with a total of 75 fighters.
  • Inkling
  • Ridley
  • King K. Rool
  • Mimikyu
  • Excitebike
  • Simon
  • Daisy ε
  • Impa ε
  • Octoling ε
  • Rex ε
*I acknowledge Rex is shorter than Shulk, but both use a blade and stat changing arts to fight. We could possibly see Rex as the in between out of the originals and echoes. What most would refer to as a "semi-clone".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom