• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Question: If the GameCube Controller wasn't available, what would be your alternative?

Also,would you change the button actions?

We, certainly, don't need two "jump" buttons, thank you.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, if we're listing everyone:

Most excited for: :ultwolf::ultfox::ultfalco:

Excited for: :ultganondorf::ultike::ultbowser::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultinkling::ultlink::ultsamus::ultzss:

Neutral: :ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultpit::ultrob::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzelda:

Don't care for: :ultwario::ultdaisy::ultjigglypuff::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Not happy about: :ultdoc::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin::ultlucina::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh, character lists? Alright, let's do it then.
Characters I'm excited to play:
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlucas::ultyounglink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultrob::ultrobin:ultroy::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultwario:

Characters that I'm excited to try out:
:ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultike::ultinkling::ultmetaknight::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultzelda::ultridley::ultryu::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultzelda::ultyoshi:

Characters that I'm glad are in but probably won't play:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultness::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultpit::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:

Bayonetta::ultbayonetta:
I don't dislike Bayonetta, I just have no strong feelings either way.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Lots of Dark Samus talk, so here's my take on it.

I really don't see her becoming an echo fighter. Her Assist Trophy functions in Smash 4 made it pretty clear that Sakurai has a different vision for Dark Samus than Samus. The only similarity they share in Smash 4 is their build, but Dark Samus's abilities are absolutely nothing like Samus's. Because of this, I don't think Sakurai would reduce Dark Samus's moveset to a phazon-colored variation of Samus's. I believe Dark Samus will be either a semi-clone or an assist trophy, not an echo clone. And I'm leaning towards returning assist trophy.
Sakurai's vision changes. Remember back in Smash 4, when Sakurai said that Ridley would never be playable in Smash Bros because he's too big? And look at what happened, Ridley is now playable. He also said that Villager wasn't suitable for a fighting game before adding him/her to the roster in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Question: If the GameCube Controller wasn't available, what would be your alternative?

I'd gladly use a Switch Pro controller, and I've actually considered using it anyway. They're going to be more accessible over the course of time, and they're nice. Switch Pro is one of my favorite controllers I've ever held, really only losing to the gamecube controller. We'll see what happens when the game comes out, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of using the Switch Pro full-time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai's vision changes. Remember back in Smash 4, when Sakurai said that Ridley would never be playable in Smash Bros because he's too big? And look at what happened, Ridley is now playable. He also said that Villager wasn't suitable for a fighting game before adding him/her to the roster in Smash 4.
But he didn't really downgraded anyone, unless you count cutting.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If they do this I really hope they streamline it, like unlocking a character every couple minutes or so. I think it's a terrible idea to make the game's newcomers the last unlockables, newcomers are what draws players to smash and the last two games had the majority of them unlocked from the start to support that.

I think we will see that kind of spread for veterans (64 -> Melee -> Brawl etc.) but I think newcomers will be dispersed throughout so you don't have to wait too long to try them out.

(EDIT: Is it the browser I am using that doesn't let me see the Ultimate icons? Are all ya'll doing these hype lists blind? lol)
Sorry for the bad idea, but you think they should unlock around the start ( but one by one)? I can see that, but I said what I did only because I'm not sure how many newcomers we will get, but I do get your point. I just don't know what to expect honestly.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm aware, I've been around for a while now. The reason I see this situation differently is because he's already implemented Dark Samus in the game with a "moveset", though it was for an assist trophy. Ridley in his playable form still does what Ridley did in his boss form, being a rather large menacing character who can throw people around and just generally feel big. If Dark Samus had not already been established in Smash in her Smash 4 state, I'd be far more on board with the idea of her being an echo clone.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I, personally, would change one of the Jump buttons out for a dedicated short hop button. It just makes sense, really, to have one button do a full jump and the other do a short hop rather than both serve the exact same function. Besides, I feel consistently SHFFLing is a bit too hard as-is, and such a change would fix that up very nicely.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I had to bring up the site on Chrome to see those icons.
S+::ultpichu::ultpeach::ultinkling:(I was hasty to call them disappointing, upon further inspection I'm back to being very exciting for them)
S::ultzelda::ulticeclimbers::ultsnake::ultwiifittrainer::ultdaisy::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultpikachu:
A::ultduckhunt::ultfox::ultfalco::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultvillager::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultmarth::ultike::ultridley::ultpalutena::ultness::ultbowser::ultzss::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultmegaman::ultrobin:ultluigi::ultgreninja:
B::ultpokemontrainer::ultyoshi::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultlittlemac::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultmiifighters::ultpit:
C::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultmetaknight::ultsheik:
D::ultbayonetta::ultwario::ultrob:

D

Deleted member

Seems like I misunderstood what a "hype list" is.
I'm just happy to have everyone back (I don't see much of a point in adding Young Link back, but he's fine), and the Inklings and Ridley had me pretty hyped.
I'm indifferent to Daisy's inclusion.
Way ahead of you

Liked because of Chandelure. Neat concept.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well, if we're listing everyone:

Most excited for: :ultwolf::ultfox::ultfalco:

Excited for: :ultganondorf::ultike::ultbowser::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultinkling::ultlink::ultsamus::ultzss:

Neutral: :ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultpit::ultrob::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzelda:

Don't care for: :ultwario::ultdaisy::ultjigglypuff::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Not happy about: :ultdoc::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin::ultlucina::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
I am just as hype for :ultwolf: as you are! I never played SSBB, but I finally will get my first chance. You don't mind telling me how he feels when you get SSBU, do you?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
:ultinkling:(I was hasty to call them disappointing, upon further inspection I'm back to being very exciting for them)
Same lol. I think a lot of the gameplay we saw, being from people who were inexperienced with the character, was rather disappointing. As I've continued fiending for gameplay videos and whatnot, I've seen them do way more and be fairly successful, and I've re-evaluated my poor initial impression of them . Now they're back to being the character I'm most excited to play out of the roster.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Same lol. I think a lot of the gameplay we saw, being from people who were inexperienced with the character, was rather disappointing. As I've continued fiending for gameplay videos and whatnot, I've seen them do way more and be fairly successful, and I've re-evaluated my poor initial impression of them . Now they're back to being the character I'm most excited to play out of the roster.
Look up Abadango at Rage tourney on youtube with Inlkings. Unfortunately it's time with items, but Abadango does some pretty cool stuff with Inlings.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Look up Abadango at Rage tourney on youtube with Inlkings. Unfortunately it's time with items, but Abadango does some pretty cool stuff with Inlings.
Yeah Aba's Rage gameplay is actually specifically what showed me they are going to be really fun, especially once you practice them for a bit.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Masahiro Sakurai says the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can be the last game of the series. He had said that the Super Smash Bros. may continue in the future, but he is not sure whether he will be able to continue. I hope to make it. I want see the future Super Smash Bros. games.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I'm tempted to post another codec I just thought up, but I think I'll just do one per day to make the wait for Ultimate less painful. But I'll give you all a little preview:

Snake: Who are you? How did you get into this channel?

Next up: :ultsonic:

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I'm too bad at technology / on mobile to know how to get the icons going so I'm just gonna list a few thoughts on characters I'm hyped and unhyped for.

I'm so happy duck hunt and wii fit didn't get cut. I figured duck hunt would return but wii fit I was nervous for. Hoping they buff bowser jr. significantly so I can stop feeling ashamed for picking roy. Daisy is another character I'm soooo ready for. I love playing peach so having more options through one of my fav mario side characters is awesome. Ice Climbers I also am happy to return, not just because they're classci smash chars, but also cause I just love their original NES game. The one that I'm the most most excited for is G&W. His new animations look sooooo cute and good and he's so very nice. I love G&W.

Unhype? IDK I'm pretty into all the characters there aren't really any I dislike. I wasn't sold on Pichu or Young Link at first but they look so good in HD it's hard for me to get too mad.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I am just as hype for :ultwolf: as you are! I never played SSBB, but I finally will get my first chance. You don't mind telling me how he feels when you get SSBU, do you?
You're definitely talking to the right guy, haha. Yeah, no problem, I'll be sure to let you know how he feels in game.

If you're interested in other opinions, we've got the Wolf Social and Wolf Competitive discussions for you to check out.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I just created a thread in the Newcomer section, for Smash Ultimate stock Icon designs for newcomers. I'd love if people posted any they've made there, or if they've seen some great ones ask the creator to post there.

I know I saw a couple great ones here (specifically remember Dixie, King K. Rool and Bandana Dee) so if you're still here you should go post them there!

I personally love the new minimalist style and can't wait to see more.

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
It seems some people are upset or not fond of pichu and young link, but I like them both cause I always consider pichu the joke character(I know some pros might say otherwise) every fighting game should have to taunt your opponent and for young link....well since link lost some of his original moveset that's where he comes in handy. So I'm happy for both.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I think this will be my last Smash Bros game, if they continue. The series has evolved, and gone in a different direction than it did with Melee and even Brawl. When I played Smash as a kid, it was just about Nintendo's All Stars battling it out. Now it's about being an homage to gaming in general, including many 3rd party characters. Both of those things are great! I just miss the "old" Smash Bros, and think the new Smash is moving in a direction that I'm not really interested in. So I hope this game is good, I think it's gonna be the last one that I follow and get hyped about! (I will still play new ones, but I don't think I'll follow their development or anything.)

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think this will be my last Smash Bros game, if they continue. The series has evolved, and gone in a different direction than it did with Melee and even Brawl. When I played Smash as a kid, it was just about Nintendo's All Stars battling it out. Now it's about being an homage to gaming in general, including many 3rd party characters. Both of those things are great! I just miss the "old" Smash Bros, and think the new Smash is moving in a direction that I'm not really interested in. So I hope this game is good, I think it's gonna be the last one that I follow and get hyped about! (I will still play new ones, but I don't think I'll follow their development or anything.)
Last 3 newcomers were all from Nintendo, this game didn't got a single thirdparty character yet.
Who knows, maybe this smash doesn't have a single thirdparty and is just nintendo classic characters.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Way ahead of you

Quilava, Blaziken and Infernape being shafted like that would make me want to cry. I like the other evos, but I just love those Pokes. Nice concept, tho.
Rowan would be awesome just to play as Garchomp, probably my favorite out of all those trainers.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Guess I'll hop in on hype list bandwagon. Seems fun.

Most Excited:
:ultridley::ultness::ultwolf:
Super Excited:
:ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultlucas::ultpalutena::ultpichu:(yes, really):ultpokemontrainer::ultshulk::ultzelda:
Pretty Excited:
:ultbowser::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultyounglink:
Neutral:
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:
Negative:
Nobody. I'm really happy everyone is back. Even Duck Hunt, who I really hate playing both as and against, but I don't want anyone to lose their main.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Last 3 newcomers were all from Nintendo, this game didn't got a single thirdparty character yet.
Who knows, maybe this smash doesn't have a single thirdparty and is just nintendo classic characters.
We already have seven guests, but yeah, all newcomers might be first or second party. I just hope not all of them are old. :drsad:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's some nightmare fuel.
All the Codecs from Brawl get reused and only new characters get new Codecs

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I meant specifically with Sm4sh, and the characters people are asking for all seem to either be 3rd party or brand new indie games. Either way- nothing wrong with it, just not the direction I'm interested in.

But I think this game IS going to be the ultimate Smash Bros, so for me I'm fine with it being "my" last Smash game, if that makes sense. :)

And yeah, you could be right but I don't see why they'd reverse the direction it has been going in.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I meant specifically with Sm4sh, and the characters people are asking for all seem to either be 3rd party or brand new indie games. Either way- nothing wrong with it, just not the direction I'm interested in.

But I think this game IS going to be the ultimate Smash Bros, so for me I'm fine with it being "my" last Smash game, if that makes sense. :)

And yeah, you could be right but I don't see why they'd reverse the direction it has been going in.
I wouldn't complain if we had rayman or crash, but I would rather preffer having nintendo characters.
I get what you mean.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't have a problem with that, they were well written.
yeah that's true, the luigi one was always pretty good

However, some of them are outdated. Bowser's regarded as slow (he kinda is but kinda isnt?) and Link having a clawshot. I guess they have to either redo em or just fix some specific lines.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So, is Vergeben's "leak" still possible, or is it pretty much dead after confirmation that the embargoed game is that sports game rather than Castlevania? If it's pretty much disconfirmed, then I will happily say THIS IS WHY YOU ALWAYS TAKE THESE THINGS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.
This whole debacle is really funny if you think about it.

Konami has a game embargoed until Wednesday/Thursday, which could end up being the rumored new Castlevania game as reported by Vergeben and Stealth. The existence of this game would seemingly lend credibility to the Simon Belmont in Smash rumor.

However, Vergeben is now claiming that the game embargoed is actually just Hyper Sports R, which already made its debut. That's an odd claim since everyone else thinks its a new game. To make matters more confusing, Gamekult in a video claimed that the game showed behind closed doors was not PES or Hyper Sports R.

So if it IS Castlevania, does that help or hurt? Because the game existing would corroborate one part of the rumor and yet he says this isn't it. What a mess.

As always, take all this with an enormous pile of salt.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So if it IS Castlevania, does that help or hurt? Because the game existing would corroborate one part of the rumor and yet he says this isn't it. What a mess.
It'd hurt him. Not because he "called it" or anything, but he already went back on his own word. He can't just say it's Castlevania again and try to let it slide. If it's Castlevania, it's not because he knew it was Castlevania at all. :estatic: That's what I think.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Guess I'll hop in on hype list bandwagon. Seems fun.

Most Excited:
:ultridley::ultness::ultwolf:
Super Excited:
:ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultlucas::ultpalutena::ultpichu:(yes, really):ultpokemontrainer::ultshulk::ultzelda:
Pretty Excited:
:ultbowser::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultyounglink:
Neutral:
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:
Negative:
Nobody. I'm really happy everyone is back. Even Duck Hunt, who I really hate playing both as and against, but I don't want anyone to lose their main.
Hey, nice positive attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom