• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

Yeah, I forget all about frames limitation that PhotoShop set for Save As Web. It only allows us to save up to 500 frames so the cut was abrupt so I apologies for that. I will keep it in my mind that the limit is 500 frames. Sorry about that!

blackghost

Smash Champion
To clarify, gimmick and mechanic are often used interchangeably here. Moreso for characters than anything else.

I get why gimmick isn't liked, as it sounds negative, but it's not inaccurate anyway. With how Smash is developed, mechanics can refer to things beyond characters, as well as stuff that isn't character-specific. Like Air Dodging is a mechanic that anyone can use. Whereas Shulk's Monado Arts is his "gimmick". Gimmicks are extremely specific to something. Mechanics are not inherently like that, being a broader term. Make sense?

Not saying either word is bad, or one should inherently used more than the other, just one has a literally more specific meaning by design.
Im fgc originally "gimmicky or gimmick" traditionally has meant a strategy that is used for noob killing or beating somone unfamiliar with the mu. you game mechanics ike you said with air dodging and such but there's also individual mechanics for each character. as sakurai is on the record saying smash is a celebration of these games and characters. bringing over these mechanics and traits honors these character. calling them gimmicks minimizes the attention to detail and effort that is put in these games. so no i dont agree the words are interchangeable. People characterize things the like and dont like calling one a gimmick and another mechanics.

All of them other than what was mentioned for Bayo are gimmicks, and no they aren't necessary for making a character that plays differently. If you have an adequately wide design space, you can make every character from the same set of mechanics and have them all work differently. The easiest example here is Fox's lasers versus Falco's in Melee. No new mechanic was added to Falco's, but it isn't used the same way at all. Another example is Roy's hitboxes compared to Marth's. One makes you keep your opponent at a distance to hit the hardest, the other is closer-quarters with the option of weaker hits from further away.
yes you CAN do that but two things.
1. running to clones both of which became worse as characters with these mechanics doesn't really back your argument very strongly. roy's mechanic is one of my least favorite things in smash as a series. different for the sake of different and a mechanic that contradicts his weapon, design, and its not the same as the mechanics i listed becuase as far as i know that mechanic is soley for smash and has no basis in his source game.
i'm not an expert on melee metagame or the lasers but the only difference is firing speed and hitstun right? the most important differences between fox and falco in melee is shine angles and dair. If lasers are what separates the two characters. I'd much rather have character differences like marth to corrin than falco to fox any day of the week.

2. you are arguing for characters to have less mechanical difference and you are using personal bias as a support. I never said they have to put differences to make new characters but i do expect they will becuase the characters they do it for come accross more accurate to their source games. They do not HAVE to add new mechanics to create new chaarcters but the will and should. (inklings will have a new mechnic for sure)

next for bayonetta you are just plain wrong. for bayo to be faithful in her interpretation she needed to be a combo character. she needed to be herself. it would be like ryu unable to combo. Bayo needs her wepons, flexability, and general atitude. bayo does not have a bunch of her mechanics that are required to be truly good at a bayonetta game but she is a more than adequate base. The reason why bayo, cloud, and others are so loved is because of the extra touches put in holding down button for bullets for bayo, her frames being almost identical to her source game, and so much more, i dont play cloud but im sure there are tiny details cloud players love as well.

you are confusing what you want with how devs have done smash. there will be some basic new characters but many players myself included welcomed new mechanic featuring resource management, puppeteers, button inputs, multiple normals on one attack, ranged normals, item storage, self healing, and a fear factor. gave more variety and new gameplay experiences and situations. i dont want devs to shy from it. Design space for new characters becomes even wider when you are willing to let in new mechanics becuase otherwise you will start making variations of characters that already eaxist (*semiclones). some of the new mechanics work (limit, inputs) and some dont (gliding and stamina) but they should attempt them becuase its about the characters and smash isnt just competitive proably not even 20 percent. People on smashboards are not even 5 percent of the customer base they are going to reach. we cannot allow our bubble to be the only thing we see.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
man, did people seriously think i was bashing anime just because i wanted barbarian simon? like c'mon my main is THE anime swordsman and some of my faves send the anti-anime crowd into a frothing mess. i don't dislike anime, i just want some more visual diversity among the cast.
My comment wasn't direct towards you. It was toward the general "ew anime" crowd.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Im fgc originally "gimmicky or gimmick" traditionally has meant a strategy that is used for noob killing or beating somone unfamiliar with the mu. you game mechanics ike you said with air dodging and such but there's also individual mechanics for each character. as sakurai is on the record saying smash is a celebration of these games and characters. bringing over these mechanics and traits honors these character. calling them gimmicks minimizes the attention to detail and effort that is put in these games. so no i dont agree the words are interchangeable. People characterize things the like and dont like calling one a gimmick and another mechanics.
Well, this is Smashboards, so...

But now you get why people use the word gimmick when talking about what a character can do. It's just a definition clash, but as long as you understand what they mean, i'ts all good~

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Seeing all this Zelda talk on the last page reminds me just how divided we really are on this topic.

Impa supporter: "Impa is the only character who makes sense. Aside from Tingle, she's the only notable recurring character left."
Skull Kid supporter: "Wrong. Most people don't even know about Impa. Skull Kid will get in because he's so iconic."
Champion supporter: "But Skull Kid is so irrelevant. The Champions are the only relevant characters left that could work."
Person who gave up: "You're all wrong. We're getting no one. AGAIN."

In all seriousness, if we do get a Zelda newcomer, I hope it gets revealed at E3 so we can just put this to rest.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I just thought of another hurdle about Sora. At least West side. I don't know how his voice work is handled in the East, but in America he's voiced by Haley Joel Osment.

I think it'd be a lot of work for Nintendo to have to call up a Hollywood actor to come record a few lines and grunts for Smash Brothers.

Is Sora's voice actor in the west a famous Japanese actor like in America or nah?
H.J.O is like...a Kingdom Hearts fan by heart, and I'm not even joking.
Nintendo could be paying him peanuts and he would still do it.
And if Nintendo can manage to get Jun Fukuyama do re-recording for Roy on smash 4 or get Takahiro Sakurai for Cloud.
Both who are AAA voice actor probably paid the same as Holywood actors.

I truly think Sora's voice is the last of his problem for his inclusion.

Edit: to answer your question, Square think that the English dub is the "definitive" experience for KH. Even the Japanease fans thinks so- but yes. Sora's Japanease voice is pretty famous?

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I just thought of another hurdle about Sora. At least West side. I don't know how his voice work is handled in the East, but in America he's voiced by Haley Joel Osment.

I think it'd be a lot of work for Nintendo to have to call up a Hollywood actor to come record a few lines and grunts for Smash Brothers.

Is Sora's voice actor in the west a famous Japanese actor like in America or nah?
He's voiced by Miyu Irino, who is nowhere near as big of a name as Haley Joel Osment is. Hell, he's done work with Nintendo before, voicing Nate (the male protagonist) in the Japanese version of the Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 promo trailer.

Although, in the case Sora were to somehow actually get into Smash, I sincerely doubt that the western voice actor would be a factor in his inclusion.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean let's be real, it's not like Haley is really THAT high-profile of an actor anymore. I'm sure Smash could get away with him, or even just use voice clips from other games like they did with Roger/Sonic.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I mean let's be real, it's not like Haley is really THAT high-profile of an actor anymore. I'm sure Smash could get away with him, or even just use voice clips from other games like they did with Roger/Sonic.
I mean, in terms of voice acting, I feel like being in Smash would be a pretty big honor. Like a character you voice is in such a high profile and successful game, and your name is being put out there in one of the most famous games of all time. Plus, you're probably being paid a pretty penny in comparison to some other roles. What's not to like?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Seeing all this Zelda talk on the last page reminds me just how divided we really are on this topic.

Impa supporter: "Impa is the only character who makes sense. Aside from Tingle, she's the only notable recurring character left."
Skull Kid supporter: "Wrong. Most people don't even know about Impa. Skull Kid will get in because he's so iconic."
Champion supporter: "But Skull Kid is so irrelevant. The Champions are the only relevant characters left that could work."

In all seriousness, if we do get a Zelda newcomer, I hope it gets revealed at E3 so we can just put this to rest.
That's scarily accurate. As an Impa supporter Tingle is probably my second choice for a Zelda character. I mean aside from Vaati, but he can't even get in Hyrule Warriors so...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

This is why for a Smash Ultimate based on popular picks and the ballot I don't think we'd get a Zelda character. There's not one that stands out amongst the community as a whole.

I too hope if we get one we find out soon. At this point I'm just a Zelda fan who wants another character, even if it's a semi-clone.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
sigh...
yes you CAN do that but two things.
1. running to clones both of which became worse as characters with these mechanics doesn't really back your argument very strongly.
Worse in tiers or design? In terms of design, that's debatable on both accounts. Doc is better than Mario in Melee, so I don't see why tier placement would matter.
And I used clones because it's easy. I could use, for example, Ike, since he didn't introduce any mechanic that wasn't in Melee.
roy's mechanic is one of my least favorite things in smash as a series.
Lovely, but later on you lecture me about basing things in my opinion despite that fact that I never made a plea to preference, just saying gimmicks aren't needed.
different for the sake of different and a mechanic that contradicts his weapon, design,
I'm not convinced, but I don't really care because it's a specific case that says nothing about the broader practice.
and its not the same as the mechanics i listed becuase as far as i know that mechanic is soley for smash and has no basis in his source game.
A lot of these sorts of differences are they to communicate personality and style rather than take part of the source game and bring it into Smash, though Megaman's handling is a good example of a game being recreated.
i'm not an expert on melee metagame or the lasers but the only difference is firing speed and hitstun right?
Basically just int values and the presence/absence of hitstun, as far as I'm aware, so close enough.
the most important differences between fox and falco in melee is shine angles and dair. If lasers are what separates the two characters. I'd much rather have character differences like marth to corrin than falco to fox any day of the week.
Again, you're overblowing an example. Of course Falco's towers are a significant difference, but lasers are easier to give a more complete account of.

2. you are arguing for characters to have less mechanical difference and you are using personal bias as a support.
No... I'm not ... that's literally what you were doing at the start of this, but I never made any such citation.
And my case, if you're actually interested, isn't for characters to be less diverse, it's specifically for the validity of them pulling from the same body of rules rather than giving each their own set being necessary. Simon doesn't need to collect heart mana from his opponents to stand out and be well-designed, and there's something to be said for the coherence of characters that all have commensurable properties even if they still play completely differently.
I never said they have to put differences to make new characters but i do expect they will becuase the characters they do it for come accross more accurate to their source games. They do not HAVE to add new mechanics to create new chaarcters but the will and should. (inklings will have a new mechnic for sure)
And this is just false. You said:
f you truly want more variety between characters you sjould want unique traits for them. Characters dont just magically play different they need new mechanics.
Moving on...

next for bayonetta you are just plain wrong. for bayo to be faithful in her interpretation she needed to be a combo character.
You're just continuously making things up. All I said was that I didn't think the gun thing really counts as a gimmick, what you talk about here has nothing to do with that.
she needed to be herself. it would be like ryu unable to combo. Bayo needs her wepons, flexability, and general atitude. bayo does not have a bunch of her mechanics that are required to be truly good at a bayonetta game but she is a more than adequate base.
I don't actually disagree with the mechanics they gave Bayo, but I'm sure you can agree that that's beside the point of the "weapons, flexibility and general atitude [sic]".

you are confusing what you want with how devs have done smash.
You are confusing what I said with the strawman you evidently built in your head after reading like three words from my original post.
there will be some basic new characters but many players myself included welcomed new mechanic featuring resource management, puppeteers, button inputs, multiple normals on one attack, ranged normals, item storage, self healing, and a fear factor. gave more variety and new gameplay experiences and situations. i dont want devs to shy from it. Design space for new characters becomes even wider when you are willing to let in new mechanics becuase otherwise you will start making variations of characters that already eaxist (*semiclones). some of the new mechanics work (limit, inputs) and some dont (gliding and stamina) but they should attempt them becuase its about the characters and smash isnt just competitive proably not even 20 percent. People on smashboards are not even 5 percent of the customer base they are going to reach. we cannot allow our bubble to be the only thing we see.
I don't actually have anything against new mechanics. I don't really enjoy Smash 4, but literally the only character I play in it is Ryu. My case wasn't that new things are evil, but there are a lot of devs and armchair devs who can't conceive of how to make a new character without adding subsystems that only apply to that character, which is legitimate in some cases but definitely not all, and over saturating the game with them makes it a mess. Has Smash 4 done this? I don't know, probably not. Will Smash 5? Maybe, but I doubt it. The only point of my post was to argue against your assertion that new gimmicks *need* to be implemented to distinguish a character. Then you denied making that claim and accused me of saying things that I didn't, which works especially poorly in a text-based medium.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I know there is a roster maker, but is there an character icon maker? I don't feel like scrolling through hundreds of pages to maybe not even find the character I'm looking for.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This could be cool or really dumb but hear me out.

What if Jigglypuff got a split evolution in the new games?

A Fighting/Fariy type that was based on beauty pageant and bodybuilding contestants, called Ripplybuff.

And it had an ability that increased the power of all "slapping" moves, like double slap, wakeup slap, and fake out.

Thank you for reading this fanfiction.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I completely understand why people want HW Impa. Heck, her role in HW is probably more significant to the game than Impa's role in any other game. However as I said earlier, I just don't forsee a canon Zelda character being implemented to Smash using their non-canon appearance. And that goes for any characters non-canon vs canon appearances, not just Zelda.

The reasons I think Lana or Linkle would both be valid considerations from Hyrule Warriors is because that's the only game they're from. They've never appeared in a different Zelda game, so Hyrule Warriors is their canon.
Impa was pretty important in Skyward Sword but yeah I get what you mean

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I know there is a roster maker, but is there an character icon maker? I don't feel like scrolling through hundreds of pages to maybe not even find the character I'm looking for.
the latest version of the roster maker has a character icon maker. try checking the main post on the roster maker thread for more detailed info!

This could be cool or really dumb but hear me out.

What if Jigglypuff got a split evolution in the new games?

A Fighting/Fariy type that was based on beauty pageant and bodybuilding contestants, called Ripplybuff.

And it had an ability that increased the power of all "slapping" moves, like double slap, wakeup slap, and fake out.

Thank you for reading this fanfiction.
ngl I'd love it so much

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's actually a feature in the latest version!
Indeed. I've made a few myself.

IconQuest (Series) Character.png
IconQuest (Series) Character (2).png
IconQuest (Series) Character (3).png
All for Quest(series), which started as Quest 64. The first one was to get the idea down of the logo. The second is specifically the elemental menu, and really has a unique feel to it. The last one is similar to the first one, but more updated.

Albeit, this wasn't via some unique icon maker, I just used the normal setup for making regular character icons. Maybe it's something all new past version 6.1

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Smash Guessing #01:
Paper Mario will be in and it's sideB will be a hammer that you can charge to be more powerful, just like the Kirby one but a little bit faster and less damage.​

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well, I'm not that into Metroid, but I keep remembering that the Ridley seen in Pyrosphere is a clone (not a moveset clone, an actual, genetically identical copy of the original). I feel like a compromise could potentially be made: address the clone as an alternative name (from what I recall, "Neo Ridley" seems to be the most popular) and use Ridley's classic design for him as a fighter.
Come to think of it, that could make a potentially killer event match, just having the original wale on the clone. It could be just as cathartic too, if fan opinion on Other M is taken into consideration.
Even is pyrosphere returns, imo, is hardly any issue, not only buffridley is a clone, and not the same individual that super Metroid Ridley (while Samus and zero suit Samus are the details person) But duck hunt dog and duck are both playable characters AND stage elements, and I haven't seen anyone head explode of confusion

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Smash Guessing #01:
Paper Mario will be in and it's sideB will be a hammer that you can charge to be more powerful, just like the Kirby one but a little bit faster and less damage.​
For Paper Mario, I think the hammer would be good for smash attacks. Plus, I don't like how it's identical to Kirby's side special (That I think should change anyways).

On the topic of new side specials, Yoshi could use a new one. Here's an idea I have. It's Poochy, who works as a mix of his current Side Special, Villager's FS, and the Pokeball Gogoat. Yoshi summons Poochy, who appears in front of him. After a second or two, he starts running forward. The reason for the delay is so that you can get on him to travel. He goes forward in the direction the character riding him is looking. He does more damage running without a character on him, but the turnoff is that if a Character jumps on him, they take ownership of Poochy. I know it's not much better then the current one, but it's an idea.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I completely understand why people want HW Impa. Heck, her role in HW is probably more significant to the game than Impa's role in any other game. However as I said earlier, I just don't forsee a canon Zelda character being implemented to Smash using their non-canon appearance. And that goes for any characters non-canon vs canon appearances, not just Zelda.

The reasons I think Lana or Linkle would both be valid considerations from Hyrule Warriors is because that's the only game they're from. They've never appeared in a different Zelda game, so Hyrule Warriors is their canon.
Normally I'd agree but Impa does change her look(and age) every game. HW Impa is the fusion of the two combatant Impa's rolled into one. She's the only one I see as even semi plausible and even then I think Skyward, Ocarina or a future design in a future Smash is more likely.

It's a shame it's unlikely though because HW Ganondorf's design is probably my favourite yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Normally I'd agree but Impa does change her look(and age) every game. HW Impa is the fusion of the two combatant Impa's rolled into one. She's the only one I see as even semi plausible and even then I think Skyward, Ocarina or a future design in a future Smash is more likely.

It's a shame it's unlikely though because HW Ganondorf's design is probably my favourite yet.
Actually, the most physically capable in the canon games would be the Oracle design. She's a heavyweight, but doesn't show anything suggesting she can't move a reasonable speed(see: Wario), is no less capable of magic or weapons, and actually looks like a good fusion between her younger and older states. She looks battle capable. I get why there's a lot of liking for HW's version, though. Skyward Sword and OOT suffer from her being too similar to Shiek's model, making it difficult for them to really differentiate her. She's pretty much Sheik in OOT. SS at least gives her something new and useful for moves, but little else. An important idea is to capture fully who she is, while looking at all her designs and combining them well. SS is way too thin and young-looking. OOT, as noted, is basically Sheik 2.0. HW and the Oracle versions are the two that actually look like a composite-enough design to really make her stand out.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I forget all about frames limitation that PhotoShop set for Save As Web. It only allows us to save up to 500 frames so the cut was abrupt so I apologies for that. I will keep it in my mind that the limit is 500 frames. Sorry about that!
It is all right. I am really looking forward to E3. Expect a lot of new characters.

I think a Pokemon and ARMS newcomer is likely.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Actually, the most physically capable in the canon games would be the Oracle design. She's a heavyweight, but doesn't show anything suggesting she can't move a reasonable speed(see: Wario), is no less capable of magic or weapons, and actually looks like a good fusion between her younger and older states. She looks battle capable. I get why there's a lot of liking for HW's version, though. Skyward Sword and OOT suffer from her being too similar to Shiek's model, making it difficult for them to really differentiate her. She's pretty much Sheik in OOT. SS at least gives her something new and useful for moves, but little else. An important idea is to capture fully who she is, while looking at all her designs and combining them well. SS is way too thin and young-looking. OOT, as noted, is basically Sheik 2.0. HW and the Oracle versions are the two that actually look like a composite-enough design to really make her stand out.
Oh trust me, I adore Oracle Impa too. My only beef with her there is they classed her as Hylian instead of Sheikah.

However she is definitely my favourite design outside HW and MAYBE Skyward...I even did a pic of some of my preferred ones(RIP BotW Impa);

Genuinely I do believe Impa has a lot of different abilities in her different incarnations; pyro and hydrokinetic powers, multiple weaponry, insane strength, speed, skilled with blades and light magic(and maybe shadow abilities given her Shadow Sage status in two incarnations).
I'd kind of like a composite character or her summoning her other forms to perform their various abilities.

Oracles Impa heaving a cow above her head in the manga adaptation was one of those moments I throughly enjoyed. Throwing a cow at the enemy would remind me of the fun days of Earthworm Jim.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh trust me, I adore Oracle Impa too. My only beef with her there is they classed her as Hylian instead of Sheikah.

However she is definitely my favourite design outside HW and MAYBE Skyward...I even did a pic of some of my preferred ones(RIP BotW Impa);

Genuinely I do believe Impa has a lot of different abilities in her different incarnations; pyro and hydrokinetic powers, multiple weaponry, insane strength, speed, skilled with blades and light magic(and maybe shadow abilities given her Shadow Sage status in two incarnations).
I'd kind of like a composite character or her summoning her other forms to perform their various abilities.

Oracles Impa heaving a cow above her head in the manga adaptation was one of those moments I throughly enjoyed. Throwing a cow at the enemy would remind me of the fun days of Earthworm Jim.
B: Cow Throw(Minotaur Throw, Bull Throw)[Cow can stun, Minotaur has the most knockback, Bull can send them into the ground like a Pitfall]
Up B: Deku Your Nuts[Simple knockback damage. Rest are obvious]
-(Exploding Nuts, Stun Nuts)
Down B: Gigastomach Impact[The differences are elemental. Cold Sore can freeze at high enough percentages]
-(Flaming Indigestion, Cold Sore)
Side B: Mega Sword(A full swing from down to up)
(Battle Rapier[Faster, but less damaging], Iron Cutter[Slower, but more damaging])
Final Smash: Impassable Formation[Oracles Impa, Old!Impa, SS!Impa, OOT!Impa, and HW!Impa all come in to do a gigantic set of attacks. No ideas as of yet.)

I even made a moveset based upon that idea. Coincidentally, I had a similar idea for the Final Smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
B: Cow Throw(Minotaur Throw, Bull Throw)[Cow can stun, Minotaur has the most knockback, Bull can send them into the ground like a Pitfall]
Up B: Deku Your Nuts[Simple knockback damage. Rest are obvious]
-(Exploding Nuts, Stun Nuts)
Down B: Gigastomach Impact[The differences are elemental. Cold Sore can freeze at high enough percentages]
-(Flaming Indigestion, Cold Sore)
Side B: Mega Sword(A full swing from down to up)
(Battle Rapier[Faster, but less damaging], Iron Cutter[Slower, but more damaging])
Final Smash: Impassable Formation[Oracles Impa, Old!Impa, SS!Impa, OOT!Impa, and HW!Impa all come in to do a gigantic set of attacks. No ideas as of yet.)

I even made a moveset based upon that idea. Coincidentally, I had a similar idea for the Final Smash.
I would genuinely play the hell of this character. Is Gigastomach Impact a massive belly flop?

Reminds me of the good old days when we used to come up with fun movesets and concept ideas like that. I miss the creativity!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would genuinely play the hell of this character. Is Gigastomach Impact a massive belly flop?

Reminds me of the good old days when we used to come up with fun movesets and concept ideas like that. I miss the creativity!
Yes, yes it is.

Now I just need to work on the rest of the moves. I'm thinking something akin to Ganondorf's physical blows to a degree. Or Donkey Kong's. The general heavyweight character. Not sure she would use her legs, though. She looks more like a shoulder/punch style character. Basically Shao Kahn without kicking.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Reminds me of when I made a moveset for Cataquack:

Cataquack:

Neutral B: Heave
Cataquacks signature attack, he lobs up his beak and launches everything that's on his beak upwards.
The move does fixed knockback, which means it heaves as far at 0% as as 100%

Side B: Watermelon Festival
Cataquack barfs out a big watermelon to play with! He can roll it around, pick it up (he holds items in his beak) and of course, heave it up.

Up B: Dune Bud
A Dune Bud appears under the Cataquack and explodes, making a small dune appear which, you guessed it, pops up Cataquack.
Like Sonic's Spring, it stays around for a bit after use.

Down B: Plungelo
Cataquack's lil parrot buddy! Clings to walls, so heave 'em in the coolest spots!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
On the topic of new side specials, Yoshi could use a new one. Here's an idea I have. It's Poochy, who works as a mix of his current Side Special, Villager's FS, and the Pokeball Gogoat. Yoshi summons Poochy, who appears in front of him. After a second or two, he starts running forward. The reason for the delay is so that you can get on him to travel. He goes forward in the direction the character riding him is looking. He does more damage running without a character on him, but the turnoff is that if a Character jumps on him, they take ownership of Poochy. I know it's not much better then the current one, but it's an idea.
Ugh, no thanks. Egg Roll is a perfectly good move as it is, and this attack doesn't sound all that useful.

Moves shouldn't be radically changed just for the sake of it. They did it with Mario's Down B and almost everyone dislikes FLUDD and wishes it doesn't return next time.

I think if a move needs to be revamped replaced, it must either be with another move that's both visually and functionally similar to the previous one (Bowser's and Ganondorf's side B in Brawl, Dedede's and Sheik's Side B in Smash 4), or a move that's objectively superior in functionality to its predecessor (Pit's, Zamus' and Olimar's Up B in Smash 4, all of which being better recoveries than their old Up B).

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
or a move that's objectively superior in functionality to its predecessor (Pit's, Zamus' and Olimar's Up B in Smash 4, all of which being better recoveries than their old Up B).
I might have bad taste, but I enjoyed Pikmin Chain both as a representation of the character and a way to harass someone above you. Obviously the tether part is janky, but that just means that part should be fixed. Olimar is the one time where I'd say the Brawl version of a character was the best one.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Going back to Simon, what design are they going to use if he is in? His Conan look, or Ayami's design. Definitely not his Light Yagami look for sure. I guess both could be in with one being an alt costume or a colour reference to it.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Here's a crazy idea for Impa: take her Breath of the Wild incarnation and give her the Sheikah Slate abilities similar to how Sakurai gave Rosalina the Luma abilities in Smash 4. This works since the Sheikah are at the center of all the crazy ancient tech, most notably the Sheikah Slate and we even see another old as hell Sheikah in Master Kohga using one of the runes. And as far as a more general moveset for Impa, they can take some inspiration from Maz Koshia fight.

So what do you guys think?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Going back to Simon, what design are they going to use if he is in? His Conan look, or Ayami's design. Definitely not his Light Yagami look for sure. I guess both could be in with one being an alt costume or a colour reference to it.
They'll probably go with the classic design.

Also can I just say that people are overreacting when it comes to Konami. Konami already worked with Nintendo on the realease of Bomberman R and Konami likes money. Letting one of their characters be in Smash gives them money, and all of the hard work is done by Sakurai and his team; it's easy money for them.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I might have bad taste, but I enjoyed Pikmin Chain both as a representation of the character and a way to harass someone above you. Obviously the tether part is janky, but that just means that part should be fixed. Olimar is the one time where I'd say the Brawl version of a character was the best one.
I mean, as a concept, it was fine at the time, as not only was it the only feasable way Olimar could have a recovery, but it made sense in context, as he was literally using all of Pikimin available to conplete a single task, and rewarded players that mantain a good number of Pikmin alive.

Winged Pikmin, however, just made a whole lot more sense as a recovery, and was just more reliable in excecution, so from that point, I'd rather have the new recovery.

Now, maybe if we had Alph as a semi clone, Olimar could have Pikmin Chain again while Winged Pikmin is given to Alph along with Rock Pikmin...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Smash Guessing #01:
The hammer should be paper mario's main weapon tbh and then let him summon partners as special attacks

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here's a crazy idea for Impa: take her Breath of the Wild incarnation and give her the Sheikah Slate abilities similar to how Sakurai gave Rosalina the Luma abilities in Smash 4. This works since the Sheikah are at the center of all the crazy ancient tech, most notably the Sheikah Slate and we even see another old as hell Sheikah in Master Kohga using one of the runes. And as far as a more general moveset for Impa, they can take some inspiration from Maz Koshia fight.

So what do you guys think?
It feels like a complete shoehorned in idea. She doesn't need the Sheikah Slate. She already has weapons, moves, spells, more than one design to work with, all without being a clone of Sheik alone. Canon games or not, she doesn't lack any potential that would require you to throw an item her way just to make her playable. Her only actual issue is a consistent design, not a lack of moveset options. It also doesn't fit her all that well. She's a fighter that doesn't do anything really odd. Magnesis? Doesn't remotely make sense. It's something that would work better for Zelda due to being magic-based and having strange moves in comparison. It wouldn't work with Link well either without being an entirely new moveset. She doesn't really use Bombs, but she does use Deku Nuts. Time manipulation isn't her biggest thing. She time travels, but she doesn't stop time constantly. The bomb designs being on Link would work somewhat though. But otherwise? Better to just not use this and go for something that flows better as a proper moveset for the Sheikah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom