• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
We all hate Corrin, but I'm pretty sure their "spot" was intended to be a promotional charcter. What else in 2016 was worth promoting for Nintendo? The Wii U was dying, the Switch only being revealed in October, and Fates was the biggest thing for the 3ds that year. We don't like it, but for the role Corrin was filling, it makes sense.
Speak for yourself, I love Corrin and its fun to dunk on Corrin haters with him/her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If they were to add a Mario Kart rep (who isn't Waluigi or Daisy) who would it be? Maybe Lakitu? I can imagine him using his cloud a tad like how Bowser Jr uses the clown car. Maybe Birdo? Heck even a Koopa Troopa, really!

Every other answer is wrong.

EDIT: DAMMIT, IMAGE UPLOADER IS BORKED.

It's Funky Kong on the Flame Runner.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I really liked Corrin as a character. He was one of the first DLC characters I bought, and I pretty much mained him.

I was researching about Fire Emblem and how it's success was influenced by Super Smash Bros. Melee featuring Marth and Roy. But it turns out, one of the main reasons why Fire Emblem even came to the international market was because of how successful Advance Wars was in the west. So based on this, it seems that if it weren't for Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem still wouldn't have come until much later.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I also like Corrin. They're still one of the more popular Fire Emblem characters. Just look at the CYL poll. Female Corrin is super high.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly like Corrin too.

I just wish we got a 4th vet overall. Wolf being my personal choice, but regardless, is what it is.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Funny how things played out during Smash 4 DLC. Wolf was originally thought to be a guaranteed DLC character because of his popularity and Zero's upcoming release. A sixth FE character was completely out of the question because we already had five and there was no way Sakurai would let FE have more reps than Zelda.

Boy, we weren't even close.

Honestly, the veterans were the only DLC characters we got that excited me. Even though I do like the occasional "I didn't see that coming" character, Smash 4's DLC was so random and unexpected that I really couldn't pull myself into getting excited.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I was researching about Fire Emblem and how it's success was influenced by Super Smash Bros. Melee featuring Marth and Roy. But it turns out, one of the main reasons why Fire Emblem even came to the international market was because of how successful Advance Wars was in the west. So based on this, it seems that if it weren't for Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem still wouldn't have come until much later.
Both played a role in bringing FE to the west.

Marth and Roy made the series more popular in the eyes of people that had no idea what FE was.

Advance Wars was what motivated Nintendo in to releasing more TBS games in the West due to AW1 selling half a million copies in North America alone. Hence why they had confidence in releasing FE7 worldwide.

Now if only Advance Wars could return and takes it's place in Smash Bros. :)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I also like Corrin. They're still one of the more popular Fire Emblem characters. Just look at the CYL poll. Female Corrin is super high.
Yeah, but M!Corrin seems to be pretty unpopular for a lord considering he lost out to every international lord in the original CYL poll and dropped even further in the second one (#84, which is behind everyone except Seliph).

I always considered it odd how staggered their results were. With Robin, M!Robin is more popular but F!Robin is no slouch. With Corrin, F!Corrin might as well have been the default since everyone ignores the poor guy.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't dislike Corrin in Smash, I just have so many mixed opinions on Fates. I won't make an argument for Corrin to stay or to be cut because I am 200% biased.

Yeah, but M!Corrin seems to be pretty unpopular for a lord considering he lost out to every international lord in the original CYL poll and dropped even further in the second one (#84, which is behind everyone except Seliph).

I always considered it odd how staggered their results were. With Robin, M!Robin is more popular but F!Robin is no slouch. With Corrin, F!Corrin might as well have been the default since everyone ignores the poor guy.
The power of waifu compels them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, if Corrin comes back, I'll be shocked if Female Corrin isn't made the default this time.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

The flak Male Corrin gets is quite outstanding... And rather sad, since from what I see Female Corrin is quite beloved.

Also I loathe Female Corrin ^^' What can I say she may be waifu material but I swing the other way 'round.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
We all hate Corrin, but I'm pretty sure their "spot" was intended to be a promotional charcter. What else in 2016 was worth promoting for Nintendo? The Wii U was dying, the Switch only being revealed in October, and Fates was the biggest thing for the 3ds that year. We don't like it, but for the role Corrin was filling, it makes sense.
Sakurai said that Corrin was added because a bunch of the development staff loved Fates and wanted him added.

He said he didn’t want to over-represent Fire Emblem, but thought since the dev team put in so much hard work to get the games done, it wasn’t really fair that he choose every single character by himself, and rewarded them by giving them their one character request.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Poor Corrin :4corrin:, the Smash 4's ROB:rob:.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Corrin is one of the more unique Fire Emblem characters.

But still they just irk me the wrong way, because it's a case of ''No one truly knew this character yet, so there's no way that many people could want them. So why not add someone else we wanted instead?"

I have a real complex relationship with Corrin.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I remember when Roy got criticised for being "nothing more than a shallow advertisement character" similar to how Corrin gets complained about nowadays.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
We all hate Corrin
Speak for yourself. Some people are above petty hatreds for playable characters in video games. So don't tack us on with angry fanboys.

I remember when Roy got criticised for being "nothing more than a shallow advertisement character" similar to how Corrin gets complained about nowadays.
I lose sleep at night at the thought of game designers seeing cynical comments like that on the internet in great numbers of support.

I'm so glad they don't listen to the undeserved hatred that characters get. Because there sure is a lot of it. It's just people wanting to sound special and smart because they can use words like "shallow" and "lazy" to make themselves sound like critiques who know better.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speak for yourself. Some people are above petty hatreds for playable characters in video games. So don't tack us on with angry fanboys.
Hating a fictional character isn't being petty. Can it be done in petty ways and for petty reasons? Of course, potentially. But not everyone who hates a character is being petty.

Like to bring the subject back to Fire Emblem, I think Peri is a pretty damn awful character because Fates' other characters need to act out of character to accommodate her mere existence. I hate her because of that, that she sticks out like a sore thumb and makes other characters worse by simply talking to them. And I don't think that's petty at all.

You don't need to act like you're above others because you see yourself as enlightened enough to not hate anything. Let people love and hate what they want without slinging insults their way.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Even though Corrin has a cool moveset, they were still a bad choice to add in.
After playing Fates for a second time, I don't think want to see them again.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I like Corrin because I really like his playstyle.

I think it's actually really fun, and unique. Maybe not the most unique thing in Smash, but it's certainly up there. Things like the active hitbox on F-Smash, Dragon Lunge's pinning capabilities, the projectile, etc. all make Corrin a weirdly interesting character.

Furthermore, Corrin is honestly the closest we've ever come to "an FE character that doesn't use a sword".

Yeah, Corrin still obviously uses a sword, but much less than all the other FE characters in Smash. All of Corrin's Specials and Throws plus D-air, B-air, F-smash, and Up-Smash are all exclusively Dragon Fang. N-air, D-smash, and Jab combine it with the sword.

It's true that Corrin was a weird choice at the time, but I still want him to stay. I think he offers a lot to Smash.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
You know, I'm not sure "relevance" or "importance" is quite as essential to Smash as some think. Smash often gives characters a life of their own in the series. Fighters like Captain Falcon, Sheik, and Ness are as famous for Smash as they are for their original series in some circles, and no one wants them leaving just because their "series are done".

Obviously Smash wants to add characters that people actually want to play as, but once they're in the game? They are part of the Smash Family as far as I'm concerned. Haven't had a game in years? I still want you back. Random character idea? Love it. Last minute clone? Still welcome.

Jigglypuff, Corrin, Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina...
They're in the series now, and I'd rather they didn't leave if they don't have to.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I sort of like the transforming direction, but then again, I'd vastly prefer Tiki to Corrin.

And I don't even dislike Corrin as a character in Fire Emblem! I don't like him/her either, but regardless...

Most of us seem to have a complex relationship with this character.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Most of us seem to have a complex relationship with this character.
COMPLEX -MOTIVES-

You know, I'm not sure "relevance" or "importance" is quite as essential to Smash as some think. Smash often gives characters a life of their own in the series.
I feel like this is something that's really important to remember. Regardless of the reason that they were included in the first place, characters that are in Smash tend to obtain a sort of 'identity' that is unique to their iteration in Smash.

A lot of the time, people look mostly at the characters from the perspective of their own series' reputations, iterations, and representations, but a character's portrayal in Smash is pretty important to their overall overview as a character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh goodie, the Corrin subject. Might as well say this.

Fates was a mixed experience for me, even the plot did little to make me like Corrin's character and complain about the things he could had done than being a suck-up that gets screwed over by his "father".

As far as Smash, he's fun as hell to play as and that can make me look past his frustrating character in Fates. I'd say he should stay because he's a hell lot more flashy than vanilla characters like Marth will ever be. There's a reason why I prefer Ike or even Robin over "the first lord". Not even Lucina can make me like his playstyle.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i like corrin. SHE is a fun character with unique traits and a different playstyle.
i also see it as hypocrisy that smash fans begged for a semi clone in roy and then complain that fire emblem is overrepresented. they played a part in it as well. if roy wasn't in 4 these complaints wouldn't be as prominent.

that being said corrin is fun and completely unique. in terms of casual appeal i've never seen a player unfamiliar with smash think corrin was boring to use. That's my personal experience. i think Nintendo finds that important.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Personally not a fan of Corrin, both in terms of his moveset, and the grounds his inclusion. Wouldn't mind if Corrin didn't show up in the next game. Speaking of cuts, if there's going to be any this next game, it's not a stretch that Fire Emblem may get one or two. Partially since Sakurai has stated that he's concerned with the number of Fire Emblem characters, and also possibly due to the backlash regarding the amount.

I'd say Marth and Ike are definitely safe. I don't think Robin is going anywhere either, unless Sakurai knows he wants to cut the number of Fire Emblem characters and would rather keep Lucina to de-clone. Robin I could live without, but it'd be a shame.

Speaking of which, despite her popularity, I feel Lucina is the most likely Fire Emblem character to be cut. Possibly out of wanting to lower the Fire Emblem character count due to concerns and backlash, wanting to make her a Marth alt as she was originally intended, or because he would rather focus on new last-minute clones instead of old ones. I feel she'd be a 'safe' cut to make.

Roy I feel is likely to return. He's a two-time Smash veteran who's gone from a full-clone to a semi-clone. He was brought back after missing an installment, and I feel that Sakurai would feel guilty to add Roy in Melee, go without him in Brawl, and bring him back in Smash 4 as paid DLC, only to cut him again. Of course, it's Sakurai, so you never know.

Coming back to Corrin, I'm not too sure on him. His inclusion definitely sparked a lot of backlash from the community early on, and he was the 'straw' that made Sakurai concerned with going overboard with Fire Emblem characters. Corrin, despite being unique, I feel would also make for a 'safe' cut.

D

Deleted member

I like Corrin as well. Corrin has an interesting story and character idea.
I think the male Corrin can stay, but make the female Corrin the main default.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Corrin is a better addition than Roy or Lucina based on unique moveset alone
She’s so much fun to play

When you look at the fire emblem roster as Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin with Lucina as free dessert and Roy as a throwback returning character the fire emblem roster is totally fine

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Even though Corrin has a cool moveset, they were still a bad choice to add in.
After playing Fates for a second time, I don't think want to see them again.
Pretty much my thoughts. I wouldn't lose sleep if they weren't in. Though honestly I feel like all of the FE cast is coming back to this game so I'm not sweating it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
my hostility towards corrin was always cause i felt they was too many fire emblem characters

having since played fire emblem warriors i now feel we've had the less fun characters in smash owain is one of the best things ever

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't necessarily consider this next character "likely" as Super Mario Odyssey came late 2017, so she'll probably appear as part of a New Donk City stage. But, I think Pauline is a character that should be under more people's radar because she is historically significant. She is one of Nintendo's first characters, the original damsel of video games, and Super Mario Odyssey has made her incredibly popular.

I've had Pauline on my rosters before she was revealed in Super Mario Odyssey, but that game is obviously important to bring up.

Characters more likely than you think: #6
Character: Pauline
Universe: Donkey Kong
Debut: Donkey Kong (Arcade, 1981)
Character Slogan: Musician

Pauline's History:
Pauline is one of the most historically significant Nintendo characters. She debuted in what is arguably Nintendo's most iconic game and one of the most popular arcade games of all time, where she was originally known as "Lady". Though Sheriff and the Game & Watch series predates it, Donkey Kong is known as one of Nintendo's first games. She's also the only cast member of that game who is not currently a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

This would mark Pauline's first playable appearance in a video game.

Other Games:
  • Donkey Kong (1982)
  • Donkey Kong Game & Watch (1982)
  • Pinball (1984)
  • Donkey Kong Gameboy (1994)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March of The Minis (2006)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (2009)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (2010)
  • Nintendo Land (2012)
  • Puzzle Swap (2013)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (2015)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
Pauline returned in Donkey Kong on Gameboy, where her role was roughly the same, but she received a new design, at least in game. However, she made a much more triumphant return in the Mario VS Donkey Kong Series, starting with Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March of The Minis.

This also attributes her an association with Mini Mario Toys. Something that could make a creative ability for her to have at her disposal.

In 2017, Pauline was given a huge spotlight in Super Mario Odyssey, with her insanely popular song "Jump Up, Superstar!"
She appeared as the mayor of New Donk City and with her love of jazz, helped the city celebrate it's history with a tribute to Mario and their debut in Donkey Kong.

What makes Pauline Unique?:
Every character has a marketing slogan for their fight style. Pauline is "The Musician". She has the power of jazz as well as the power of singing. But, she has many other games to derive material from.

Some of you may be familiar with Pauline's "Lost Items".

If you are wondering what potential a parasol has, Kirby has easily demonstrated that in his games. The parasol can be used to open and close abruptly, spin endlessly, deflect attacks, provide a large shield, propel one forward, and is extremely helpful in recovering.

There are a variety of projectiles with different effects that Pauline can spawn. (By what means she does that is up in the air, but it worked for Pac-Man and Duck Hunt.)

Apparently that's a "Sand Pile" and not a pie. Another idea is throwing her spinning hat like a boomerang, leaving behind a rainbow, causing many multiple hits in a single attack.

That's my case for Pauline. If you have any comments, please don't invite me into a semantics argument over what universe Pauline belongs to and what "Donkey Kong" characters should get in over her.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't necessarily consider this next character "likely" as Super Mario Odyssey came late 2017, so she'll probably appear as part of a New Donk City stage. But, I think Pauline is a character that should be under more people's radar because she is historically significant. She is one of Nintendo's first characters, the original damsel of video games, and Super Mario Odyssey has made her incredibly popular.

I've had Pauline on my rosters before she was revealed in Super Mario Odyssey, but that game is obviously important to bring up.

Pauline's History:
Pauline is one of the most historically significant Nintendo characters. She debuted in what is arguably Nintendo's most iconic game and one of the most popular arcade games of all time, where she was originally known as "Lady". Though Sheriff and the Game & Watch series predates it, Donkey Kong is known as one of Nintendo's first games. She's also the only cast member of that game who is not currently a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

Other Games:
  • Donkey Kong (1982)
  • Pinball (1984)
  • Nintendo Land (2012)
  • Puzzle Swap (2013)
Pauline returned in Donkey Kong on Gameboy, where her role was roughly the same, but she received a new design, at least in game. However, she made a much more triumphant return in the Mario VS Donkey Kong Series, starting with Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March of The Minis.

This also attributes her an association with Mini Mario Toys. Something that could make a creative ability for her to have at her disposal.

In 2017, Pauline was given a huge spotlight in Super Mario Odyssey, with her insanely popular song "Jump Up, Superstar!"
She appeared as the mayor of New Donk City and with her love of jazz, helped the city celebrate it's history with a tribute to Mario and their debut in Donkey Kong.

Every character has a marketing slogan for their fight style. Pauline is "The Musician". She has the power of jazz as well as the power of singing. But, she has many other games to derive material from.

If you are wondering what potential a parasol has, Kirby has easily demonstrated that in his games. The parasol can be used to open and close abruptly, spin endlessly, deflect attacks, provide a large shield, propel one forward, and is extremely helpful in recovering.

There are a variety of projectiles with different effects that Pauline can spawn. (By what means she does that is up in the air, but it worked for Pac-Man and Duck Hunt.)

Apparently that's a "Sand Pile" and not a pie. Another idea is throwing her spinning hat like a boomerang, leaving behind a rainbow, causing many multiple hits in a single attack.

That's my case for Pauline. If you have any comments, please don't invite me into a semantics argument over what universe Pauline belongs to and what "Donkey Kong" characters should get in over her.
If it helps, Warchamp7 got tagged already. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

That said, Pauline, I feel, would be more interesting if focused on objects from Donkey Kong (Arcade) and Mario VS Donkey Kong.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that likes Mario the way he is and wants him to have no moveset change?
Honestly, if Corrin comes back, I'll be shocked if Female Corrin isn't made the default this time.
Me too.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If it helps, Warchamp7 got tagged already. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

That said, Pauline, I feel, would be more interesting if focused on objects from Donkey Kong (Arcade) and Mario VS Donkey Kong.
The post originally showcased sprites of the Barrel, Blue Barrel, Podooboo, Sand Pile (Pie), and Jack.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have no personal attachment to any of the FE characters, so I wouldn't be devastated by their absence in Smash Switch.

However, if I had a say in which FE character would be higher priority, I'd definitely keep Corrin before Roy and Lucina. Even if Corrin is lacking in the popularity department, I still think he should get more credit for his unique moveset. Seems like people are too busy hating the guy to notice just how different he is when compared to Marth and Ike.

Pauline's History:

Other Games:
  • Donkey Kong (1982)
  • Pinball (1984)
  • Nintendo Land (2012)
  • Puzzle Swap (2013)

If Pauline does get in Smash, it'll be interesting to see how they chose to represent her. My ideal Pauline would have a mix of Donkey Kong (arcade) and Odyssey references in her moveset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom