• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There doesn't, but Ken is more or less confirmed at this point, and if we get more than 0 newcomers, I expect that both sides will be full.
That's all well and good, but it's still assumptions at the end of the day. This box wasn't something we've seen updated as information on the game has released. So claiming patterns is folly since we only have one version of the box. The box, as we've seen it, is what we are meant to see. It's very possible that the box was done for everything before Isabelle and the final box may have a slightly different design. The problem is, there's far too many unknowns on this box to draw any real conclusion. If we saw this box constantly updated as we got more info, then I'd be more than happy to take the observations into account, but as it stands, we've only gotten a look at it once with no idea how it may change in the future.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Question: Say they pull off a Sonic in Brawl and added your wanted character, whoever it may be, late in the game, but they delay the game to a later date. How would you feel, overall?
I'd feel bad for everyone else, but I'm selfish, sorry y'all.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
You know what? Ultimate should have a Box stage, where it's just big version of the Ultimate Special Edition Box in space.
They have to make sure to leave out three spaces for Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken.

Question: Say they pull off a Sonic in Brawl and added your wanted character, whoever it may be, late in the game, but they delay the game to a later date. How would you feel, overall?
I'd be happy because we'd finally have my boi Quote.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That's all well and good, but it's still assumptions at the end of the day. This box wasn't something we've seen updated as information on the game has released. So claiming patterns is folly since we only have one version of the box. The box, as we've seen it, is what we are meant to see. It's very possible that the box was done for everything before Isabelle and the final box may have a slightly different design. The problem is, there's far too many unknowns on this box to draw any real conclusion. If we saw this box constantly updated as we got more info, then I'd be more than happy to take the observations into account, but as it stands, we've only gotten a look at it once with no idea how it may change in the future.
To be fair, all we've gotten is Isabelle since.

I actually think they'll show the 'box' in the last Direct, but until then, it's waiting. I don't see much logic in redesigning the box just to slap Isabelle on there, when it'd be better to wait until it's all done at this point.

D

Deleted member

I mean don't get me wrong, Smash Ultimate will be practically God's grace where we really don't deserve it, but I honestly have yet to see a masterclass effort and performance from games that EarthBound and MOTHER 3 did.

EarthBound pretty much broke all the expectations and tropes that you can expect from an RPG and made it's own identity that stood out from the rest; combine that with some of the most memorable characters and music you'll hear in an RPG that intertwines with the music so well, I don't think there's ever been a game that can top it. ...Except for MOTHER 3.

There's a clear reason why people STILL ask for MOTHER 3 to this day. It pretty much earns the title of "The Even Greater Greatest Game of All Time, It Shouldn't Even Exist". Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna made me break down crying, but when that new title came and that was when AFTER the game was done, plus only once.

MOTHER 3 drove me to tears not once, but three times, and you'll know especially if you're a fan with the infamous "Chapter 6".

With the game also tackling some seriously heavy topics that're super relatable to the real world, such as the loss of family members and relationships within two people or a community, but yet do it in such a unique way - combine that with a soundtrack that even tops EarthBound, and you got a game we ACTUALLY don't deserve. It's pretty much like the Xenoblade 1 V. 2 case, where one game does better efforts than the other and vice versa.
That's kinda how I feel alot with the 8 games I mention above. Ultimate, Breath of The Wild, Prime, SMT IV, Golden Sun, MGS 2, Aria of Sorrow, and Bayonetta are all really great games, hell I practlically consider SMT IV the greatest JRPG ever made.
And while I'm at it, I'd also like to give a shoutout to Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 4. Probably my two favorite Capcom titles period.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I actually think they'll show the 'box' in the last Direct, but until then, it's waiting. I don't see much logic in redesigning the box just to slap Isabelle on there, when it'd be better to wait until it's all done at this point.
The box came out after Isabelle, fwiw.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Just a quick reminder of the format for the Box. I think that's what gets confused often when those new to the box theory (There seems to be a few new users here that may want to take a look). I've become more agnostic to the box theory lately. But even if it's wrong. I don't expect more then 3 more then the 2 already hinted at. But I'm definitely keeping it in mind right or wrong once we get to our last base game direct.

(This is the side that's hidden)
|1 2 3 4 4e 5
6 7 8 |

| 17 18 19
20 21 21e 22 23 24 |

|32 33-35 36 37 38 39
40 41 42 |

| 54 55 56
57 58 59 60 60e? 61 |

Bold is likely Ken

(This is the side we see)
| 9 10 11 12 13 13e
14 15 16 |

| 25 25e 26
27 28 28e 29 30 31|

| 43 44 45 46 47 48
49 50 51-53 |

| 62 63 64
65 66 66e 67 68 69? |

Bold is likely Incineroar or whatever other unique newcomer goes here.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Yea, but Brawl was only delayed because that was before DLC was really a thing. Nowadays, instead of delaying the game to put in more content, it'll just be added later as DLC.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On one hand, guaranteed Shanoa or Dante. On the other hand, that would ****ing murder the game's sales by missing the holiday release and I obviously want the game to do well

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
He's saying miscount on the part of the digital artist that made the final design for the box.

It's still crazy, because it implies that while he was divvying up the box for his arbitrary layout, he just coincidentally grouped one character set with 8 characters instead of 9.
Not sure how it would be crazy that a person could make a mistake for one row on the already kind of crazy pattern that it seems to have. lol

D

Deleted member

And this is why we'll never get another Mother game. Itoi has said that Mother 3's story reflected a lot of what was going on in his own life at the time, and he felt he had a story that he needed to share. And man was it a good one. Now that the story's been told, he felt he could move on with other things in his life.

Shigesato Itoi, man. What a great guy, bless him. :ness:
There are many, MANY series that deserve sequels. I'll even go as far to say that I'll be SO fine with a dug up finding of EarthBound 64/MOTHER 3 N64, a re-release of any of the games or EVEN a HD remaster of any of the games.

But should there be a Mother 4? Absolutely ****ing not.

The whole trilogy is something that you don't get anywhere else in gaming history, as each game tops each other and all combine together in one story, yet all are 10/10 quality. Yes, I'll even say EarthBound Zero/Beginnings is a 10/10 because it's the first step, you have to look at it in the eyes of a starting franchise. Even then, locales, music, characters - super memorable.

EarthBound / MOTHER as a whole is like Scott Pilgrim VS. The World. Cult's best of the best we're ever gonna get, but maybe best left in the annals of history untouched.

D

Deleted member

So potentially odd question, but what real life music do you think would fit a Smash soundtrack?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

According to the theory though the box wouldn't need a redesign in the first place and has a space for her already there. It's literally just slapping her graphic in the place in would need to be put.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Assuming the Ken leak is real, I wonder why nothing else has leaked. Did someone just get lucky for a few seconds to get a pic and thats it?

Shroob

Sup?
According to the theory though the box wouldn't need a redesign in the first place and has a space for her already there. It's literally just slapping her graphic in the place in would need to be put.
Correct, but the one we saw was obvious outdated since >No Isabelle.

We'll see a more recent on 'in time', probably an actual physical one in the last Direct in 2 or so weeks if the rumor is to be believed.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I know, but the design was probably done a long time in advance.
It probably was, but that alone doesn't necessitate it to being even close to a final design. This box had one purpose: present how the box will look using only material around the time of Isabelle's reveal. I personally wouldn't take it as anything but that.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So, I'm keeping a track on all the Castlevania songs available in Smash and broke them down.
New Remixes:
*Vampire Killer
*Out of Time
*Bloody Tears/Monster Dance
*Divine Bloodlines
*Lost Painting

Ripped themes:
*Vampire Killer (Judgment version)
*Nothing to Lose (Harmony of Despair version)
*Simon's Theme (Arcade version)

8 songs out of 34.

Maybe it might not be the correct thread to ask this: but which of the remaining 26 Castlevania songs are you expecting to be new remixes, and which are you expecting to be ripped?
For Black Night we only hear the very beginning snippet of it in the Direct right when Dracula transforms, but from what we hear it matches up with the Castlevania The Arcade version.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Assuming the Ken leak is real, I wonder why nothing else has leaked. Did someone just get lucky for a few seconds to get a pic and thats it?
I've wondered this myself. Whoever the lucky son of a ***** was who got the Ken photo, why hasn't he been able to get more info from that test build? Why hasn't he been able to leak anything else?

inb4 Ken is the only fighter left and there will be a spot with just a Smash logo or something on it on the other side of the box. :troll:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So Banjo Kazooie and other Rare titles are now listed on Nintendo UK's website

WTF IS HAPPENING!?!?!?

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-64/Banjo-Kazooie-269415.html
There's some question of when they were added. But it also includes Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark. Many possibilities, but the likely answer it's an archive, and doesn't say much either way in terms of Banjo's Smash chances or a N64 mini.

...but I can dream...

EDIT:
Nothing important.
Anything Banjo is important. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not sure how it would be crazy that a person could make a mistake for one row on the already kind of crazy pattern that it seems to have. lol
Because if you took a second to think about it, you'd realize that Designer-san making a mistake would imply that

he would have had a full spread of the roster,
divided the roster in sets of 9,
add them in a specific order, alternating them between front and back,
then on ONLY the last row of the first side, skip a character on accident, despite being a paid professional digital artist working for a high-brow Japanese company,
THEN, after looking over his final box design, not notice that there's a black empty space where a character should be,
create a digital mock-up based on that mistaken final design,
(Which we'd have)
show it to his higher ups who would greenlight that design in spite of the mistake,
To then finally have it featured live on stream.

The box, was intentionally made, it being the final design or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom