• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I voted Ridley simply because I’ve been rooting for him since pre-brawl and seeing him in the game was something I genuinely gave up hope of ever happening. K. Rool was a very very close second.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not gonna lie, 06 probably has the greatest soundtrack in the entire Sonic series (Except for Adventure 2 of course, there's no way you can beat "Escape from the City" or "E.G.G.M.A.N.")
One of my personal favorites is Sonic & the Black Knight, when it comes to music.
Especially the fight against Black Knight, AND the final battle as well which almost raised the bar to Sonic vocal music for me

SA1 ost is pretty good, and SA2's I'm starting to warm up to.
Everytime someone says how great 06's is, I have to go back and listen to it because honestly, none of its songs stick to me. But yeah it's great.
At least it has one of my favorite vocals.

-----

As for who I am most excited to try out, well obviously: :ultsimon::ultrichter: with a pinch of :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy: on the side.

-----

As for what characters will set me for life and/or a smash cycle:

LIFE: Most likely Mike Jones (StarTropics), Crono, or a Dragon Quest character such as Erdrick. I would literally never ask for a character ever again.
CYCLE: Someone like Ryu Hayabusa maybe, Medusa, Shantae, Isaac, and a Sonic echo. Although :ultsimon: has me set for the cycle already.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
Considering Ultimate is fulfilling a lot of my long-time wants, I feel like I'm set already honestly. I do have some dream picks that I'd love to see though, and pretty much all are pipedream choices:

Crono is my most wanted character who has next to no chance of making it in, I've been wanting him in forever despite his extremely unlikely chances. Chrono Trigger is my GOAT, and I'd nearly die from hype if Crono ever made it into Smash.

KOS-MOS is another one I've wanted since Brawl, but I feel her chances overall are better than Crono's, especially if we take her Xenoblade 2 and Project X Zone cameo appearances into account. I'd personally love to see how her attacks could be brought into Smash, considering she uses gatling guns, an energy sword, and has a devastating energy beam in the form of X Buster.

My last pipedream picks would be having both Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright join the roster, as I personally feel that having one without the other just feels wrong. Professor Layton has some experience in fencing, so he could bring something new to the table in terms of sword-based movesets, plus I'm certain some aspect of puzzles would help set him apart too, and Phoenix Wright could pretty much be his UMvC3 incarnation and I'd be pleased with him (he was part of my main team, after all). Really though, I'd love to see them both make it in so we can have an actual PL vs AA in Smash.

Otherwise, Dixie Kong as a semi-clone would be amazing, and she feels like the last missing piece from having perfect DKC representation (plus, she was my Smash 4 Ballot pick). Geno would be an amazing inclusion as well for me, as behind Crono, he was an SE character I've wanted in Smash for years now, and it is actually surreal that he might actually make it into Ultimate. Banjo-Kazooie, while not my most wanted characters, would be a lot of fun, not to mention the fact that they are Microsoft-owned characters with Nintendo roots.

There are plenty of others I'd be excited for, no question, but the ones I listed above are among the biggest highlights for me personally. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks Diddy, I needed that.

Current question:

Chrom, much to my surprise. I was staunchly anti Chrom last time even though Awakening was my first Fire Emblem as I felt he didn't offer much and I always preferred Robin.

Well that reversed recently. I liked Roy's moves as useless as they are, Smash Chrom is Roy but less wonky and I recently got Fire Emblem Warriors that reminded me of how fun Chrom could be. Isabelle and Inklings are close but right now Chrom is...well, king for me.
Chrom was innitially designed somewhat as a inbetween version of the most iconic Fire Emblem characters, Ike and Marth. So in that regard, there wasn't much to work with, unless they gave him a lance in some moves, which is 1) eventually what Corrin did and with way more personality, 2) kinda random because after all the Falchion was still Chrom's most iconic weapon. Him being a Roy Echo makes a lot of sense, he only runs too fast for "canon" but yeah, that can be overlooked.

And no problem at all my dude <3 I feel you, I also really wanted Toad. I hope there will be another ballot, because then I'll make sure that the likes of Dixie, Toad and Impa get way more votes than the last time.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh stink... I realized that soon after I posted it
Like I said, it means nothing unfortunately.
I don't think the release of those things point to a direct or anything. Though, who knows what'll happen at Nintendo Live.
Certainly isn't as unlikely like announcements at other events.

Who knows what'll happen between now and then, though.

All I know is that I might finally get my leaker cult this week.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That said, I really don't think anyone is gonna come close to beating K. Rool in the poll, because everything surrounding his inclusion was legendary tbh
So I figure he'd be the most popular choice
Earlier Ridley and King K. Rool we're neck and neck so I was like what is he talking about, then I checked and wowiwowow lol.

Honestly seeing that, as well as the rest of the smash community's reaction made me appreciate King K. Rool so much more. Otherwise a DK character that I think isn't as important as Dixie and overall looks ok, became much more hype and exciting since I knew what it meant for the community.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Earlier Ridley and King K. Rool we're neck and neck so I was like what is he talking about, then I checked and wowiwowow lol.

Honestly seeing that, as well as the rest of the smash community's reaction made me appreciate King K. Rool so much more. Otherwise a DK character that I think isn't as important as Dixie and overall looks ok, became much more hype and exciting since I knew what it meant for the community.
Yeah after a few more votes came in the divide was more substantial.

I'm kinda curious as to how it'll look by the end of today.
Looks like Simon's fans all woke up.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Had to vote for my boy :ultkrool::ultkrool:

"I remember when rock was young
Me and Suzie had so much fun
Holding hands and skimming stones
Had an old gold Chevy and a place of my own
But the biggest kick I ever got
Was doing a thing called the Krocodile Rock
While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock
We were hopping and bopping to the Krocodile Rock
Well Krocodile Rocking is something shocking
When your feet just can't keep still
I never knew me a better time and I guess I never will
Oh Lawdy mama those Friday nights
When Bayo wore her dresses tight
And the Krocodile Rocking was out of sight
La lalalala la lalalala la lalalala la
"

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah after a few more votes came in the divide was more substantial.

I'm kinda curious as to how it'll look by the end of today.
Looks like Simon's fans all woke up.
I also could have sworn Dark Samus was doing better so I guess some people changed their mind lol.

I'd also be interested in a Richter vs. Simon poll. I have a feeling Simon wouldn't do so hot (poor guy, first time in Smash and he's already outclassed).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I also could have sworn Dark Samus was doing better so I guess some people changed their mind lol.

I'd also be interested in a Richter vs. Simon poll. I have a feeling Simon wouldn't do so hot (poor guy, first time in Smash and he's already outclassed).
To be fair, as someone who would take Richter over stick-up-his-butt Simon any day of the week, the circumstances leading up to him don't really make it a fair fight. Simon was a surprise. Richter was. That hurts a lot in a community like this, lol.

Now if you were to ask Castlevania fans who they prefer, that's where it gets more interesting, I feel.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Wow, I thought the space dragon would’ve gotten more votes. Isabelle seems to be catching up a bit.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

"
Not the same without video

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In the poll I voted Inkling. I was between Inkling and K Rool, but at the end I decided Inkling for these reasons:
-K Rool is a big and heavy character, I don't like those too much
-K Rool has a counter, I hate counters
-Inkling seems very fast and has a lot of tools for both close up fighting and ranged fighting... from what I have seen, there is potential for an high tier.
-Inkling has some interesting unique gimmicks such as the use of the special button while shielded.

I'm not really interested too much in the other characters... maybe Ridley a bit.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Question. How would you feel if during the Last Smash Direct, at the end we get this.
>Sakurai thanks us for waiting and hope we will enjoy the game
>Direct end on a Redux of the EVERYONE IS HERE trailer
>We get all of the Characters
>Supposedly the end
>But the footage continue with the surprise reveal of Character number 71/72 who get his cut-in "Make his way!" As the first DLC before Adding all of the announced Characters of the direct in the Mural.

I can genuinely see this happens at the last Direct or at the VGA as a "launch trailer"

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not the same without video
you right

"

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So was the surprise/non-leak status what made everyone go nuts for:ultrichter:?
Or the fact that a lot of people supported:ultsimon:?

To me Richter was a nice little bonus, but Simon is where it's at. The only situation when I see myself using him is if someone else already picked Simon. I don't dislike him or anything. Like I said, he's like a cool bonus to me. And just like how everyone prefers :4cloud2: to :4cloud:, this is a minority I'm glad being in. :p

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Daisy, K. Rool, and Isabelle are the only characters from games I've actually played and of those Animal Crossing is probably my favourite so Isabelle is my most hype. Plus she looks super fan to play from the small amount of footage we've seen.

Plus I get to have three unique Isabelle amiibos which is just great.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be fair, as someone who would take Richter over stick-up-his-butt Simon any day of the week, the circumstances leading up to him don't really make it a fair fight. Simon was a surprise. Richter was. That hurts a lot in a community like this, lol.

Now if you were to ask Castlevania fans who they prefer, that's where it gets more interesting, I feel.
That surprise is a good point. Personally though I just hate Simon's barbarian look and perfer the JoJo's Bizzare Adventure-esque Richter who says lame things like "Be gone! You don't belong in this world, Monster!" Just too good to pass up on.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)
For pretend: Master Cheif or Goku

For reals: Rayman. It's honestly a little crazy to me that he isn't mentioned in like, every single fake leak.

For starters, we don't have any new third party developers yet, which is already hard to believe, and you'd have to put up a really good argument to say that Ubi isn't the most deserving. They've almost always supported Nintendo, and started off a string of third party successes with the maybe-not-perfect-but-still-highly-praised Raving Rabbids.

Second, he's got multiple trophies to him in sm4sh, and iirc, Ubi was the only third party developer to end up with only trophy representation. I don't feel as if he'd be kept at trophy status, and I also don't feel that if he had been upgraded to AT only that he wouldn't have been shown off yet. Also, a lot of work went into those trophies, so much so that we saw different versions of it from different sources. Minor tweaks, but it was still worked on. And to sidebar this point, Sakurai was surprised to see Ubis initiative to give Sakurai a Rayman model, expecting just some basic 3d model to include but instead whipping one up from scratch. That HAS to count for something.

Third, his mechanics would be incredibly unique and practically design themselves.

Fourth, the ArstyOmni fake drew a LOT of hype from the community and a LOT of confusion from Ubi themselves.

Fifth, not too long of a time after that fake turned up, someone asked Michel Ancel, creator of Rayman, if Rayman could take Mario on in a fight, and his response was "*laughing* maybe we'll see soon enough."

I honestly don't believe that there's a safer new third party character to place your bets on.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I plan to stack echos.

And will use aa the mains
Samus
Peach
Lucina
Roy
Dark pit
Richter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone else push a character who's not actually their most wanted? Elma is ONE of my most wanted but out of them shes by far the most likely for base game (Rex is gonna be dlc, Midna is an AT, and Skull Kid was kinda a bandwagon)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Anyone else push a character who's not actually their most wanted? Elma is ONE of my most wanted but out of them shes by far the most likely for base game (Rex is gonna be dlc, Midna is an AT, and Skull Kid was kinda a bandwagon)
I push characters that are not on my most wanted list.

I wanted Ridley. Got him.
Now i want GOEMON!!

But i also understand the need for more then just him.

I support elma, boshi, geno, waddle dee, even though they are not my most wanted.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hope I'm not gonna get flagged for posting videos but I just need answer to him.

AT, character, what? Why does he and his two friends have 3D models?

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So was the surprise/non-leak status what made everyone go nuts for:ultrichter:?
Or the fact that a lot of people supported:ultsimon:?

To me Richter was a nice little bonus, but Simon is where it's at. The only situation when I see myself using him is if someone else already picked Simon. I don't dislike him or anything. Like I said, he's like a cool bonus to me. And just like how everyone prefers :4cloud2: to :4cloud:, this is a minority I'm glad being in. :p
Probably the surprise factor for :ultrichter: among many people, though it could also be that they genuinely prefer Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night over SCIV. I suppose it varies from person to person though.

To be honest, I could easily see myself picking :ultsimon: over :ultrichter: very easily; I do like his "Conan the Barbarian" look, it is quite iconic, and I have played SCIV unlike RoB and SotN, so I have more familiarity with him. The fact that :ultsimon: uses moves derived from :ultrichter: amuses me to no end though, and I do think I'll ultimately end up using both.

Which one I'll prefer, I can't honestly say until I spend time with the both of them, but I could easily make a case for using either. I kind of want to see the alt colors for both, win quotes and taunts, as they may play a role in my decision.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My most wanted is Goemon but I don't think anyone ever sees me rally for him ever.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well... anyone that isn't my top 3 are technically not my MOST wanted.

So there's quite a few:
(2nd tier wanted)
Doomguy
Isaac
Shantae
Joe Musashi

(3rd tier: casual use)
Ryu Hayabusa
Medusa
Mach Rider
Gunvolt
Ekoro