• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Dr. Mario has a new BThrow and a new animation for his Side B(dunno if it functions differently but it looks like it trades horizontal reach for vertical).
But really, after Ken, Echoes just mean "whatever the **** we want to lmao"
Ken has some slightly different animations on some of his attacks and even back in Sm4sh, Lucina had a slightly different animation for her Shield Breaker. I'm pretty sure, Doc's side special had more vertical and less horizontal range than Mario's back in Melee although the animations were the same. I do agree, echoes basically mean whatever we want them too with how diverse they've all shown to be. In my case, I believe they're only called echoes because they were added in Sm4sh onwards and the name has clearly done a good job in getting people to accept clones rather than get mad at them for being lazy additions and taking spots that they didn't actually take.

D

Deleted member

Ken has some slightly different animations on some of his attacks and even back in Sm4sh, Lucina had a slightly different animation for her Shield Breaker. I'm pretty sure, Doc's side special had more vertical and less horizontal range than Mario's back in Melee although the animations were the same. I do agree, echoes basically mean whatever we want them too with how diverse they've all shown to be. In my case, I believe they're only called echoes because they were added in Sm4sh onwards and the name has clearly done a good job in getting people to accept clones rather than get mad at them for being lazy additions and taking spots that they didn't actually take.
Ken doesn't just have some different animations, most of his moves function completely differently and he's also faster. He's less of a clone than Dr. Mario tbh.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
SERIOUSLY WHY DOES SAKURAI WANT ME TO BEAT THE **** OUT OF THIS PRECIOUS THING. WHAT THE **** MAN.

You know, I bet people were saying the same thing about Jigglypuff back in Smash64. Now nobody bats an eye about her being beaten up :)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ken is an Echoes just because it's his title by "honor" of being the Grandfather of all Echoes in fighting games, but anyone with eyes can see that he have tons of difference, more than DR.Mario and almost reaching Isabelle lvl if it wasn't for his specials

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So where talking about gameplay stuff now?

I guess I can bring up how good Piranah Plant’s roll looks

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
You know, I bet people were saying the same thing about Jigglypuff back in Smash64. Now nobody bats an eye about her being beaten up :)
Yeah what's the big deal about beating up cutesy characters? Honestly I love having matches between a lot of these cuties. It's one of the reasons why Smash holds such a strong appeal for me. Just look at my Sig tee hee!

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
See, that'd be my only problem with someone like Rottytops making it into Smash.

I'd hate watching her get beaten up...
But Rottytops can just put herself back together if she gets beaten up and falls apart, since she's a zombie :p

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Outside of the opening cinematic, I'm not really feeling the WoL mode. It looks like Smash Tour on steroids combined with event challenges, which is... OK. I'm kind of hoping for some extra cinematics to spice things up. If we don't get any of those then I'm at least hoping some Adventure Mode Melee-esque platforming section, and some dialogue between the characters.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah what's the big deal about beating up cutesy characters? Honestly I love having matches between a lot of these cuties. It's one of the reasons why Smash holds such a strong appeal for me. Just look at my Sig tee hee!
Same here, same here. As much as I love Isabelle, it's fun fighting the cute characters

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
A somewhat odd and specific question, but what do you guys all plan on doing first thing upon booting up the game?

I personally plan on heading straight to Training to get the “reach X combos” challenges via a mass Smart Bomb explosion, and then do a couple of other odd challenges here and there (Century Smash with Link on Great Plateau Tower) before I head into World of Light, which will probably end up overshadowing all of the other modes for a while. Hopefully I don’t end up breezing through so much of the game before the end of the month, as I plan on using my Switch on our flights to and from Mexico during the week of Christmas.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
A somewhat odd and specific question, but what do you guys all plan on doing first thing upon booting up the game?

I personally plan on heading straight to Training to get the “reach X combos” challenges via a mass Smart Bomb explosion, and then do a couple of other odd challenges here and there (Century Smash with Link on Great Plateau Tower) before I head into World of Light, which will probably end up overshadowing all of the other modes for a while. Hopefully I don’t end up breezing through so much of the game before the end of the month, as I plan on using my Switch on our flights to and from Mexico during the week of Christmas.
I'm probably gonna wait once I get the game until my friends and I get to hang out, and then we'll all experience it together, and probably play vs. matches against each other using my three Switch controllers

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Watching the intro which will hopefully have unique works in it and Xander Mobus better screech out the game's title at the end or I want a refund.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Since I’ll probably have to wait until Christmas to get the game, I’ll be completely spoilered on everything in the game by then due to livestreams and stuff, so it’s hard to actually say since what I see will likely influence what I do first.

Like, for example, IDK if I’d be motivated to play through World of Light as a way to unlock the characters or if I’ll be tired of it before even playing it after seeing people play the entire way through it multiple times.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually don't mind seeing characters I like get beaten up, not only is Smash fairly comical, but characters are also so expressive, so it's just kinda funny. I love Jigglypuff, but her screen KO has me is hilarious.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

First thing I'm doing is heading straight to the adventure mode to unlock everyone. Afterwards, it will be time to train as K. Rool and Ridley to get them up to speed with my DeDeDe and Mewtwo. Then, focus on getting my GSP high enough to play Elite online.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Outside of the opening cinematic, I'm not really feeling the WoL mode. It looks like Smash Tour on steroids combined with event challenges, which is... OK. I'm kind of hoping for some extra cinematics to spice things up. If we don't get any of those then I'm at least hoping some Adventure Mode Melee-esque platforming section, and some dialogue between the characters.
I've seen this a couple times and I don't get it, how does this at all look like Smash Tour? It tells me you didn't play Smash Tour lol. Smash Tour was a multiplayer Mario Party-esque board game, this is a hub world based adventure mode with event matches for levels.

You're absolutely valid in wanting Melee-esque platforming stages and more cutscenes, which this story mode may or may not get (probably not platforming and probably few and far between cutscenes) but this is definitely not Smash Tour.

sorry just being bitter because I'm excited for WoL and don't want it to be compared to Smash Tour without reason :p

kylexv

Smash Master
Newcomer Rankings? Newcomer rankings.

12. :ultisabelle:: This reveal did nothing for me really. I am completely indifferent to it. Just seeing that most of her aerials and normals are the same as Villager makes me kinda disappointed tbh. Also, she is the only other character I felt would most likely be in the game no matter what (behind Inkling). 5/10
11. :ultdaisy:: Part of the reason is because I don't really like Peach's playstyle, but I digress. Also, she somewhat less annoying than I thought she would be, so that helps a bit. Hopefully her taunts aren't too obnoxious. 5/10
10. :ultdarksamus:: Dark Samus looks really cool, but Samus isn't the type of character I like to play. Also, she seems to be the least differentiated of the echo fighters so far (other than maybe Richter), so that's kinda disappointing. However, I'm just glad it's in the game as is. 6.5/10
9. :ultchrom:: Another FE character in a game that already has enough, but, since I like playing as Marth so much, having yet another variation of his playstyle, although somewhat redundant, is welcome in my book. 6.5/10
8. :ultincineroar:: Although Incineroar sure looks fun to play, there were a few better options for a Gen 7 Pokemon out there. I'll take it though, since Incineroar brings a lot unique to the table. 7/10
7. :ultsimon:: Not a big Castlevania dude, so I don't have much attachment to Simon and Richter, but they do look pretty fun. They seem to be really good this time around, so I'll definitely try them out. 7.5/10
6. :ultrichter:: Only putting Richter above Simon because I like his design better and he seems to be better in general. 7.6/10
5. :ultinkling:: The only shoo-in newcomer in this game. Everybody was expecting them. I'm so glad Sakurai gave them a playstyle that represents the games well. I'll definitely be trying them out. 8/10
4. :ultken:: I always liked playing as Ryu in Smash 4, so Ken is a welcome addition. I'm glad they did a lot to differentiate him from Ryu and basically took him from Super Turbo and gave him focus attack. So glad it wasn't just Ryu with a different focus attack and back throw. Not to mention Ken seems like a better Ryu in general. 8.3/10
3. :ultpiranha:: The fact that this is an official character icon for a Smash Bros. game is astounding on its own, not to mention it looks really fun to play. One of my most wanted was a character nobody expected, and, oh boy, this delivered big time. 9/10
2. :ultkrool:: Finally, he here, and it's time for him to klobber the kompetition. They really translated him well from his source material, and some of his animations are simply hilarious. Only thing holding me back from being more excited is his moves having a lot of endlag, but, otherwise, I'm excited to check him out. 9.5/10
1. :ultridley:: When Ridley was revealed, I was O V E R T H E M O O N . The big man was finally in Smash, and, not only that, he seems to look really, really fun to play. Definitely the first newcomer I want to unlock. Want to try him out ASAP. 10/10

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
My DLC wish list:
1) Geno. Nothing to see her, next.
2) Trevor Belmont (as kind of a Dr. Mario/Falco/Pichu situation between them and Simon/Richter) His dash attack would use his short kunai knives to swipe at the opponent. His whip would have a fire element to it. It would release a short to mid ranged fire ball at the opponent. It would also burn the opponent if it hits them with the tip of the whip.
3) Tails would be sort of like the pick above. He would hover, tail swipe, toss rings, etc. He'd have Sonic's spind dash and his spring recovery. His tail hover would work like Peach/Daisy's hover but if you press A repeatedly he'd hover higher. His final smash would either turn him into Super Tails and surround him with flickies or would put him inside his Sonic Adventure 2 mech and have him use his mega laser cannon, kind of like Samus' bean cannon.
4) 2B as the next Square/Platinum rep. She'd be a great Bayo-like character. Her final smash would have her call 9S up and have them both mount their air mechs and shoot everyone up/slash them with their melee attacks. Her game is one of the best I've ever played. She's not a likely pick but would be an amazing pick nonetheless.
5) Impossible Pick: Alucard! They reveal the assist trophy to actually be Alucart and reveal Alucard as the next Castlevania rep. His moveset would obviously be based on his extremely versatile moveset in Symphony of the Night. His final Smash would have in transform into his bat form and launch at everyone within range with the fire aura surrounding him. Or he could summon Richter and Maria (or Trevor and Sypha) to do a team move like Shulk/Robin. His counter move would have him wrap his cape around his torso and then use his shield rod/alucard shield on the opponent. His dash attack would obviously be his rapid slash. His shield and shield dodge would involve mist transformation. He'd be able to dash dance and if he does it enough he'll turn into his wolf transformation.

*jkjkjkiknowthiswillneverhappen*

5) Raiden! Raiden as the next Metal Gear rep. He'd have a moveset similar to snakes but with more sword-based attacks. He'll be able to counter attacks with his sword and do a witch-time-esque counter. His final smash would involve this. He'd slow-down time and get a few seconds to draw the trajectory of his sword slashes. (Like in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The difference that makes me prefer WoL over Smash Tour is the fact that it doesn't try to be a party mode, so you can play it alone without worrying about a weird CPU.

Also, it has more gameplay than that mode, and doesn't interfere in a negative way with the unlockable stuff (i hated how Smash Tour made the way to unlock the Parasite Queen theme harder than it should).

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so, I can't quite rank them in a definitive order, so I will just discuss them in announcement order.

:ultinkling: A rather unsurprising addition, all things considered. I think Splatoon was/is more successful than anyone expected it to be, but as it released after Sm4sh, it would have been a bit of a non-starter there. The recharge mechanic sounds like a pain, but it's a colorful character with a lot of alt variety, representing by far the newest franchise in the game. It didn't seem to be a hype bomb for many, but they sure have a fanbase.

:ultdaisy: Very logical as an echo fighter. People have demanded her for years. I'm not really a fan but it's an easy way to please some people. I'm glad we're no longer in Peach alt purgatory with her though.

:ultridley: I used to be quite on the Ridley train, a few years ago, back before he was deconfirmed again. Eventually I came to settle that he was too big and it wasn't happening. I kind of resent that I didn't get to see his reveal naturally. Still quite interesting, and the first Metroid character since....64. Yeah.

:ultsimon: This character has always baffled me. I never understood why people wanted him over literally any other Castlevania player character (literally all of them that I know of are more appealing) and somehow despite having like, 5 designs, he never looked good to me. I find the whole "barbarian" aspect to also be very incongruous with everything else going on with the Castlevania series. People actually talked about a leak involving him the night before his direct, and honestly, I hoped it wasn't true. But I can look at him without any resentment because of-

:ultrichter: Man, didn't see this one coming. I wish his Kojima design was also playable, and that Maria could appear in his victory animations like how Doc Louis does for Little Mac. One of the characters I'm most excited to play as, regardless.

:ultchrom: I still resent Chrom's fans for how they reacted to Lucina's reveal, and as much as I'm not a fan of people railing on the most represented franchises, Chrom does not do much differently from the other lords. Having aether and dancing blade on the same character interested me, but apparently he's rather bad? Possibly the least appealing one for me.

:ultdarksamus: Easy enough swap I guess. Gameplay changes could be interesting. Slightly rounds out Metroid roster. Broke the idea that echoes or clones would be introduced with original reps or not at all.

:ultkrool: Probably my second favorite newcomer for this game. The best trailer in the series, and boasting an array of animations. Much of his moveset looks quite powerful, and him having at least one armor move is appealing. He's looking to be a higher-tier heavy than we often have, and they put so much effort into making him look good.

:ultisabelle: I was a bit underwhelmed with only having a semi-clone in that direct, but Isabelle has a lot of appeal. What I've heard about the AC series kind of turns me off (They want you to play EVERY DAY?)but I always thought Isabelle was rather cute. Her changes to villager are quite interesting, especially the fishing rod. She certainly contrasts with a lot of the other characters we've gotten with this one.

:ultken: Kind of a snooze of an announcement by the time we got him. Nonetheless, I think he'll be more fun than Ryu for me.

:ultincineroar: Really glad that Verge didn't Chrom me. As soon as I realized the possibility of him being in the game, I was quite excited. I don't think I'd have done that with his down b, but he looks so good. I'm really glad to finally have a pokemon I actually really like. Thank you.

:ultpiranha: What else is there to say about them? I've never felt salt or hate for them (though I can understand people being disappointed), but there's left field, and then there's space. We'll see how how they turn out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Curious Villager Curious Villager *drops this on floor* oops, my hand slipped
View attachment 175932the music was hard, i love almost all the songs in each game
Thumbs up from me!

I do hope we'd get more than four songs if Layton does make it as DLC. Hino said that he'd let Sakurai make full use of the character if he wanted to so hopefully there will be a good amount of songs for the Layton series. Especially since so many of them are so good. :)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Thumbs up from me!

I do hope we'd get more than four songs if Layton does make it as DLC. Hino said that he'd let Sakurai make full use of the character if he wanted to so hopefully there will be a good amount of songs for the Layton series. Especially since so many of them are so good. :)
I only put those 4 because, in the prossess of typing them, I started thinking about all the other songs I loved and said "F it, stick with these 4 because Ill be here all day and will run out of space" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom