• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

VA

Smash Hero
only fools don't buffer! and yeah he can still grab you, swizzy does it to me all the time. I basically never miss shine nair shine nair SHFFL's but he always gets me anyway.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Life is all about being unnecessary.

I learnt that one from Prof
looool

my bestest original purple gamecube controller finally broke after almost 9 years of play. now playing with my backup pad feels like having to learn everybit of tech skill all over again :|

anyone know how to fix the joystick?? cos i really cba to get used to a new controller.....
Just fix it, I've had my controller since release and I've had a few screwed up buttons but it's nothing some repairing won't fix usually.

VA

Smash Hero
If he's grabbing you, you're obviously not doing it right.

No1 grabs me when I do the Nair on the fast falling part of the jump to shine and continue.
I'm pretty consistent with it thanks, I think you'd benefit from looking at this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109595

Bair has more shield stun and you can definitely be grabbed in between bair shines. I've done this to swizzy

nair > shine

and he grabs me very quickly after the shine like before my jump has even started. this is without powershield obv.

ShieldGrabbing:
takes 7 frames, so any pressure w/ a disadvantage of 8 frames or greater can be shield grabbed

VA

Smash Hero
no?

ShieldGrabbing:
takes 7 frames, so any pressure w/ a disadvantage of 8 frames or greater can be shield grabbed

VA

Smash Hero
that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever...one of us is getting this totally wrong...and I think it's you haha.

If you multishine perfectly, they can't grab you ofc. but what I got from reading the guide is that there is room to grab most other forms of pressure.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I think Fuzzy means that you only have a 1 frame window to press the grab button in, as you have 8 frames when not in stun and it takes 7 to execute the grab

Fuzzyness

The Reality!

if fox uses b air (8 frames of lag) you have 1 frame (8th frame) to get the grab before the shine comes out

on the 9th frame he will shine

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

if fox uses b air (8 frames of lag) you have 1 frame (8th frame) to get the grab before the shine comes out

on the 9th frame he will shine
so in English-

you can sheildgrab bair but you have to time it very well

j3ly

Smash Champion
which means mario can escape pressure with nair, jump = 3 frames, nair = 4 frames

VA

Smash Hero
you don't? Buffering is using the c-stick to move out of your shield at the soonest available frame by holding left/right or up, left or right dodges, up makes you jump. A cool way to practice it is to get a sheik to full needles your shield and then hold a direction to see it in action, looks hot imo.

Also charles has it completely wrong, you need to the properties of the shield again. Basically an attack stuns your shield, meaning you cannot act for X amount of frames. In the thread I linked the info on bair states that your shield takes 16 frames of stun from a bair, then the l-cancel takes 13 frames before you can shine again. Meaning you can be shield grabbed (no disadvantage less than 8 frames). Which was my original point. Yes you have to time it well.

VA

Smash Hero
lol you're only safe after the first dair, you can be grabbed so easily if you dair pillar them as Falco. Which is why Mango uses nair and spaces it to trick them into grabbing, you have to space dair pillars behind them to avoid SG and it's still risky.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
you can buffer spot dodges too

That's not buffering because you jump? It sounds good on paper but I don't think that works.
It was mentioned in the thread.

"Buffering Shield Grabs:
Hold up-c (with thumb over A) when shield drops, press A (don't release R/L).
Takes 9 Frames to come out."

But they did also mention this: "A highly theoretical concept, buffering a jump out of a shield and JCing that into something to guarantee you're not being cheated on frames.
Hold Up on the C-stick in shield stun. From the frame the shield drops you have 1 frame to input your JC (frame 1: shield drops, frame 2: input JC, frame 3: JC, frame 4: airborne if missed window). ".

So I'm not sure if it's still just theory or if it's been put into practice.

VA

Smash Hero
that's what I was saying, and I know you can buffer a spot dodge too it just seems pointless. The useful ones are the ones I chose to mention. Frame perfect JC grabs from shield is kind of ridiculous, goes in the same box as being able to JC shine 100%.

j3ly

Smash Champion
VA im comming to brighton to (hopefully) lay a girl in about a month, or whenever uni starts again, u wanna play some smash?

J03

Smash Master
please listen to VA, i know 100% that he is correct. when i hit a sheild ill use the few frames i have to get behind the sheild as its the most advantagous posistion, from there you just have to space your attack and its all good.

PS. VA is right

j3ly

Smash Champion
i dont buffer, i never thought about it. Does holding shield buffer shield?

more importantly, can you buffer neutral A?

(no)

VA

Smash Hero
i dont buffer, i never thought about it. Does holding shield buffer shield?

more importantly, can you buffer neutral A?

(no)
um...no no no?

you can buffer things out of shield in melee using the c-stick (jumps and dodges), that's it I think. In brawl you can buffer attacks, not melee.

But thinking about jabs, maybe you can with Z or something? but it seems worthless, the best use of buffering by far is rolling.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
What are these dumb questions about can you buffer grabs and buffer A buttons lol.

I don't think people understand what buffering is.

Feels like I haven't posted for awhile, *** everybody :).

j3ly

Smash Champion
wait,i understand now!

so lets say mario gets invincibility on frame 4 of his roll, any shield pressure with a disadvantage of 5 frames can be buffer rolled out of?

thanks VA :)

if you can buffer a jump u can effectively buffer grabs no? but that would be freakishly hard

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You can buffer a jump with holding te c-stick up while you sheild.
But it wouldn't get you out of a grab so that doesn't make much sense lol :confused:

Spamming buttons hard gets you out of grabs.

To put it simple buffer just gets you out of a situation where you're lag free.
Oh you asked what situation this is useful in???
When someone is shield pressuring you just hold the c-stick and you will roll on a available frame.....THAT'S THE ONLY REALLY USEFUL BUFFER IN THE GAME!!!!

Edit - If you want anythingelse just ask me on msn.

Top Bottom