• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

DelphinusMach1

Smash Rookie
Where about you from in London anyway and who do you main?

Would be good to see you at this event though.
I main Marth and sub every other character with a sword, and I'm from Surrey rather than London.

Seriously about Melee and Brawl though; I can literally feel my speed drop when I play Brawl for a while and then Melee. Basically Brawl is no challenge, at least not against the people I've played it against, and online doesn't count because of the unholy lag.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
I may be able to come to the fest, would it be wise to make it a 3 day fest perhaps, as it would work like this.

1st day, people arrive at london, ge to know the area, hotels, venue, etc,

2nd day, Day of the fest, all tournys happen.

3rd Day, Going home.

L-J

Smash Ace
I will definately try to come to this - it'll depend on the circumstances at the time with uni and all that but fingers crossed me and Hugo will be able to make it down. One thing I'll say now - please please please do pools with seedings like at PH2. Random brackets always screw some people over and the previous monthlies have proven there is enough time to do pools if the tourney as a whole is run efficiently.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I may be able to come to the fest, would it be wise to make it a 3 day fest perhaps, as it would work like this.

1st day, people arrive at london, ge to know the area, hotels, venue, etc,

2nd day, Day of the fest, all tournys happen.

3rd Day, Going home.
You could ask one of the smashers to house you for a day....I can't guarantee they will but there area a small amount of smashers in London who can house people outside of London.

Meaning you could potentially come to the ranbat and get housed for free :)

L-J - YESSSSS WE HAVE TO DO POOLS THIS TIME!!!!
It's so much better with pools, we already had that big discusssion about pools being better and the advantages of it which I can't be bothered to repeat but we we should defintely do it this time..

If we do pools this means that Fuzzyness cannot do his 'Let's way a little while for the main events' because we just need to do everythin straight away.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
You could ask one of the smashers to house you for a day....I can't guarantee they will but there area a small amount of smashers in London who can house people outside of London.

Meaning you could potentially come to the ranbat and get housed for free :)

L-J - YESSSSS WE HAVE TO DO POOLS THIS TIME!!!!
It's so much better with pools, we already had that big discusssion about pools being better and the advantages of it which I can't be bothered to repeat but we we should defintely do it this time..

If we do pools this means that Fuzzyness cannot do his 'Let's way a little while for the main events' because we just need to do everythin straight away.
would that really be right? just sleeping at someones house like that? hotels must also be concidered, since I dont know anyone in london.

Basically Brawl is no challenge, at least not against the people I've played it against, and online doesn't count because of the unholy lag.
Kay if we could play Brawl on wifi properly, we wouldn't even come to these fests (at least some of us), secondly, you clearly have not played anybody decent, although Brawl may not be as challenging to get good at, but when you actually face some decent brawlers like Kira! or Trio3 then you'll see just what I mean :3.

But yeah Melee is ALOT faster, I will not deny that.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I main Marth and sub every other character with a sword, and I'm from Surrey rather than London.

Seriously about Melee and Brawl though; I can literally feel my speed drop when I play Brawl for a while and then Melee. Basically Brawl is no challenge, at least not against the people I've played it against, and online doesn't count because of the unholy lag.
Sick, where about in Surrey?

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
As long as my labs don't get in the way of this I am 95% coming to this. If they do get in the way I'll do my best, I just wish my uni could sort the timetables quicker...

cong

Smash Journeyman

come to this monthly, i want to play you :)

no not melee, at brawl :laugh::laugh:

-BlAz3-

Smash Apprentice
Haha 'Delphinus', if you come to london for brawl prepare to get an unholy ****** by me, cong, kira, siri, fuzzy, edwin, shadow etc etc etc ;)

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
wow looks like this should have a good turn out, hopefully all of the southampton lot will come :)

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Lol this Delpphinus guy is like me, Mains Marth and 2nd's all other sword chars, so u know how to play Link and Ike too ehh?

DelphinusMach1

Smash Rookie
Lol this Delpphinus guy is like me, Mains Marth and 2nd's all other sword chars, so u know how to play Link and Ike too ehh?
Ike's side-b kills stuff fast if you time it right. And Link is annoying for me to play because I don't like grabs that much, but yeah. Also, no idea how good I am, dude above. I haven't played any tourneys yet. :D

Played the series for 8 years, though.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
The one major diffrence between you too is you're good..lol
Orly? I guess im alright at Brawl, Melee i am the bsns, if i used Roy in a tourney i would obv win, but i go easy and give ppl a chance and use Marth.

2 Prank Posts together, i hate havin a pink name, its too manly. Or purple w/e.

Ohh and Delp dude, SideB is a rly bad move for Ike, doesnt have much kill power and lags so much after xDDDD.

DelphinusMach1

Smash Rookie
Ohh and Delp dude, SideB is a rly bad move for Ike, doesnt have much kill power and lags so much after xDDDD.
Well I don't normally care about the recovery when my enemy is sailing through the air and won't hit the ground before I hit him. Also I like Final Destination, so yeah. It's good on that stage at least.

Do you know the advanced techniques in melee?
Wavedashing, l-cancelling, etc.? Considering I was 8 when I started playing, I've only had computers and scrubs to play against, so not much of that stuff; you don't need it and it's more trouble than it's worth when your enemy doesn't bother with it. On the plus side I'll probably be very... uh... original in style.

-BlAz3-

Smash Apprentice
LMFAOOOOO this guys a straight joke. 'you don't need l-cancelling or wavedash'

reminds me of me when i hadnt gone to a tourney before, only i got top 4 and he'll come last in brackets

Tamoo

Smash Master
Well, to be fair to him, you should read carefully when he says he doesn't need them techniques against cpus which u dont really.

But yeah, you should def brush up on these skills in preparation for this event, pretty much every melee player here can do them flawlessly and it would help you out a lot if you learn them for this.

DelphinusMach1

Smash Rookie
Well, to be fair to him, you should read carefully when he says he doesn't need them techniques against cpus which u dont really.

But yeah, you should def brush up on these skills in preparation for this event, pretty much every melee player here can do them flawlessly and it would help you out a lot if you learn them for this.
Yeah, taking an A Level in English taught me not to skim-read unless you've read it properly first. You would not believe how many points you miss out on revising and have to pick up on the fly in an exam if you don't read it properly, so yeah.

Wavedashing is a little female dog to learn, but I really should. Any tips to make the process easier?

VA

Smash Hero
Yeah, taking an A Level in English taught me not to skim-read unless you've read it properly first. You would not believe how many points you miss out on revising and have to pick up on the fly in an exam if you don't read it properly, so yeah.

Wavedashing is a little female dog to learn, but I really should. Any tips to make the process easier?
Relentless practice is the answer. Do it as much as you possibly can, back and forth. Switch the characters becaue the timing varies between some characters. Basically, get some music on and get practicing. There is no avoiding the hours it takes to get the techniques down and then finding out how to put them into your game.

Also learn wavelanding and short hopping and l-cancelling. I guess these are what I would call "the basics". Being able to do all of them on command sets you up perfectly for learning the game and then eventually more technical things.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Wavedashing, l-cancelling, etc.? Considering I was 8 when I started playing, I've only had computers and scrubs to play against, so not much of that stuff; you don't need it and it's more trouble than it's worth when your enemy doesn't bother with it. On the plus side I'll probably be very... uh... original in style.
Well we've played a lot of people as a community so it's very hard to find anyones playstyle unique/original when they don't use any of the Advanced Techniques to a high level.

But I suggest you looking at these three videos, i'm pretty sure there will be stuff in there that you know....in the beginning it's very basic but as it goes along it goes into a bit more depth of the very simple advanced techniques.

All of these techniques are essential in high level play anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&feature=fvw

I advise you to watch all three parts though just so you know all of the basic techniques and you are more equipped for the Monthly.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
L canceling with Samus? sound difficult, but achiveable,one would wonder if l canceling consistantly would be very effective? as I barely see the difference personally.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Dopl, how is HALF THE LAG not a big difference lol, especially in a game where many combos are made from short hopped fast falled aerials.

NessySmashBros

Smash Apprentice
*Surprise Hello!!*

Hey guys, just popping in to say...well, hi :D Coz I haven't posted in so long.

Anywho, on the current topic, L Canceling had done wonders from me, I tried out Cappin Falcon and then I just got in the groove, it basically comes naturally now...well it did, I haven't really played melee is some time :(

COEY

Smash Lord
anyone able to house me for 1-2 nights? wanna actually make one of these for once, especially since the collapse of the scene round here.

i guess its weird but i never realised you dont do teams, i mean now i think back i've never seen any london monthlies teams vids but i guess i ddnt make the connection. is that time problems charles? cause i'd be more than happy to lend a hand if you fancied running teams. obviously if you dont want to thats fine just incase.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yeah it's good to learn L-cancelling to the point that you don't even realise you're L-cancelling lol.

Anyway Nessy do you think you can make this event, it would be good if you could.

COEY - We could POTENTIALLY do teams.
But it would literally mean we have to do everything STRAIGHT AWAY cos for some reason Charles likes to take breaks in the tournament where we sit around doing nothing for like 30/40 mins :urg:

So if we did hurry things up and not let people sit around having friendlies I defintely thinks it's possible.

Top Bottom