• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: Yoshi

Yoshi Speculation.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

The Yoshi series, while small, has always had a strong presence due to its association with the Mario franchise. Across the four Super Smash Bros. games, Yoshi has been the only character. The series had one stage in Super Smash Bros., three in Super Smash Bros. Melee, two in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and three across both versions of Super Smash Bros for 3DS & Wii U.

So, what can we expect this time?

Returning Characters

Yoshi is most definitely returning. There's always a .1% off-chance that some silly happens, but it's doubtful.

New Characters

Custom/gender option characters are already a touchy one, but species are always worse. Kamek has been considered both a Yoshi and Mario character, so there's that possibility. One of the Yoshi's Island or Woolly World bosses? Or maybe there's some character in the new Yoshi game we haven't seen yet, but, it's pointless to speculate that. As much as another character to accompany Yoshi would nice, it's doubtful at best - Giving Yoshi more color options and Bowser Jr a Baby Bowser costume may serve as a better replacement.

Returning Stages

The Yoshi's Island stage from Melee seems likely to return. If we see a second, one of the Yoshi's Story or Woolly World related stages will likely return.

New Stages

If we get a new Yoshi stage, it'll be something from the new Yoshi game. We don't really have enough to go off of to make any other proper speculation in that area.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the
Yoshi franchise? What Yoshi related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I am wondering if Yoshi is going to remain in his posture in SSB4, or revert to his pre-SSB4 pose. It is probably the former. I am doubtful that a character from the Yoshi series is going to come back.

For stages, the Yoshi's Island stage form Melee seems likely to return. I would really like to see Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) make a return. Both are legal stages.

Highly doubtful Yoshi will get any new representation. Really, the only candidate is Kamek and that’s sort of a stretch. Personally, I would love to see Poochy and Fuzzies as Assist Trophies. Can you imagine touching a Fuzzy in Smash and then experience a huge brain trip? It would be nuts!

If I would ask anything from Yoshi franchise it would probably be Stork and Poochy as a playable duo similar to duck hunt

Doesn't Birdo seem like and obvious rep for Yoshi? Birdo playable in Smash would be pretty cool, really.
I don't think Birdo is part of the Yoshi series. The two characters are similar in design, but Birdo is mainly part of the Mario series, with it's first appearance being at that franchise.

Highly doubtful Yoshi will get any new representation. Really, the only candidate is Kamek and that’s sort of a stretch. Personally, I would love to see Poochy and Fuzzies as Assist Trophies. Can you imagine touching a Fuzzy in Smash and then experience a huge brain trip? It would be nuts!
Fuzzies could work better as a stage hazard, this way Sakurai and his development team can program only one stage to wave around. If they were an Assist Trophy, then Sakurai and his development team would have to program for all stages to wave around.

Poochy should definitely be an Assist Trophy. Maybe he could dig up items.

Fuzzies could work better as a stage hazard, this way Sakurai and his development team can program only one stage to wave around. If they were an Assist Trophy, then Sakurai and his development team would have to program for all stages to wave around.

Poochy should definitely be an Assist Trophy. Maybe he could dig up items.
Never though of that. I’ve always wanted the Fuzzies so I immoderately went with an AT. Hazards make much more sense.

I wouldn't mind some more yoshi representation but honestly there haven't been much to really represent from the series. Poochy, Raphael and the Frog are the only one I can think of that sticks out for me. Kamek originated in the Mario universe first so I wouldn't be sure how that would work out.

Top Bottom