• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sins!

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
So This was just my idea of a thread where you tell us about you "Smash Sins".

Eg: I once thought Ganondorf was OP.
Until recently, I never knew you could move warp stars.
I main characters who I have no idea which game their from.

So, to start off:

Until about 3 months ago I had no clue what Smash Attacks were and always wondered why my friend beat me XD

K-45

Smash Journeyman
My biggest sin was thinking ridley had a chance. Next time i'll expect him not to be playable.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Absolutely, positively, not knowing how to use tilts until about a few months ago.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
My biggest sin was thinking ridley had a chance. Next time i'll expect him not to be playable.
Watch the universe go against you and bring ridley into ssb5 because you said that now.

I have recently found a way to throw toon/links bombs further by pressing down B, and... I spam A LOT of projectile's in online matches...

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Lust - I used to look up Peach and Zelda's skirt. And also Krystal's cleavage. And also a few other trophies.
Gluttony - As soon as an item spawns I immediately run for it and eat it or throw it off the stage because I'm more comfortable with no items.
Greed - I feel threatened when someone plays as my main character(or any of the other 6 or 7 characters that I really like) and proceed to mirror match, beat them, and claim my territory to discourage them picking them again.
Sloth - I will not go out of my way to unlock characters or stages before bringing my system over to a party for others to play. Because it's boring.
Wrath - i will get my jimmys rustled if I lose a serious match with one of my main characters.
Envy - Hey at least I'm not jealous.
Pride - I'm the best out of my group of friends and implore them to remember that their natural state is groveling at their king's feet.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I never bother to airdodge. My timing is always crap anyway.

I almost never use projectiles, unless I'm playing a character who relies heavily on them (i.e. Mega Man).

Very rarely do I incorporate grabs, and only learned how to use them properly when I got this game.

I dislike Little Mac, Greninja, Toon Link, Mr. G&W, Pac Man and the Duck Hunt Dog. I don't really miss the Ice Climbers either.

I was mostly indifferent to Mewtwo returning, but I was happy for his fans.

Would've preferred to see Sheik not return. She hasn't been relevant in a long time, they should've just given the slot to Impa.

I never, ever use a Gamecube controller. Wiimote + Nunchuk all the way, baby.

I cannot stand playing Smash 64 or Melee for more than ten minutes at a time.

I hate the overemphasis on tier lists. Non-competitive players shouldn't concern themselves with them, IMO.

I wish Sakurai would tone down the ZSS fanservice.

The loss of an adventure mode was a huge disappointment to me, and greatly reduced my enjoyment of the game.

With two exceptions (Find Mii and Pac Maze), I enjoy all the stages in the 3DS version.

I wish they'd cut Jigglypuff already.

Absolutely, positively, not knowing how to use tilts until about a few months ago.
Also this. Very much this. I've lost so many matches in Brawl thanks to constantly using Volcano Kick by mistake.

Deadshot

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-6935-7547
I can't waveshine multiple times in a row.

But actually I still run head first into shields knowing I'm going to get shield grabbed.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Watch the universe go against you and bring ridley into ssb5 because you said that now.
S/He would be a hero.

Ridley fans of both genders would be lining up to kiss his/her feet...

My biggest sin is that I get predictable sometimes. It's hard not to when playing Bowser sometimes, though...

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Never realized utilts existed until started played Melee again (about two months ago).
Still can't spotdodge efficiently.
I'm not wearing deoderant.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I often rage quit slam my 3ds into sleep mode real fast the moment I lose in For Glory if it was bullcrazy. I got banned for 10 minutes once. After a while it happened again, another 10 minutes. Today I gathered 20 minutes, then a full 30 minutes after that. It doesn't always ban when you do that, but if it's pretty early, probably.

And apparently the ban won't start counting down until you try to play For Glory again. Which is whack-a-deeziack.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'll 1up you in that department. I didn't know what tilts were until just a couple of weeks ago or how to use them properly. It wasn't until I switched from the circle pad for jumping to solely the buttons that I released how much I was missing. Keep in mind, I've been playing Smash Bros. since the N64 days so you think I would have caught on to it by now. Sadly, that didn't happen until recently. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

I can't apply wavedashing for the life of me, even when it's a big part of Luigi's metagame in Melee and Project M.
I am a Meta Knight main in Brawl and I didn't realize how good he was until last year. I was even aware that he was banned...

I can't DACUS... I guess my thumbs are a bit too slow? I've been able to do it maybe 2 or 3 times.

Apparently Sakurai stated that Ganondorf is what he is since he reminds him of his late uncle or something. While I respect this, is it bad that I am a bit greedy and wish for a decloned Ganondorf?

I enjoyed Smash Run and I wouldn't have minded it if it was available on the Wii U version as well.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'll 1up you in that department. I didn't know what tilts were until just a couple of weeks ago or how to use them properly. It wasn't until I switched from the circle pad for jumping to solely the buttons that I released how much I was missing. Keep in mind, I've been playing Smash Bros. since the N64 days so you think I would have caught on to it by now. Sadly, that didn't happen until recently. :facepalm:
That's basically what my situation was although I did know of tilts, but then swiftly forgot about them when I was unable to figure out how to do them.

Now I try to use them whenever. Depends which characters I use, but most of the ones I use I like their tilts. Especially Pikachu and Sonic.

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Just discovered how to use Lucario's grabbing-b throw like a month ago in Brawl. I've been playing this game for how long now?

And while we're at it, I only play as other characters so my friends can get off my case about only using Lucario.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
And now it's my turn. I never even USED tilts, let alone correctly, until the Smash 4 demo in order to play Mega Man correctly. I've always used Mario before this so I didn't have any need to use them then but now, oh man I feel much more versatile with a lot of characters now. Again I've played since 64 so...yeah.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
And now it's my turn. I never even USED tilts, let alone correctly, until the Smash 4 demo in order to play Mega Man correctly. I've always used Mario before this so I didn't have any need to use them then but now, oh man I feel much more versatile with a lot of characters now. Again I've played since 64 so...yeah.
I'm impressed! I admit defeat sir. You have 1up'd me successfully.

mutecebu

Smash Rookie
I pretty much only play 64 and melee, and I *still* can't Z/L-cancel to save my life.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
My greatest sin was I thought Kirby was a new Pokémon way back when.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Lust - I used to look up Peach and Zelda's skirt. And also Krystal's cleavage. And also a few other trophies.
Gluttony - As soon as an item spawns I immediately run for it and eat it or throw it off the stage because I'm more comfortable with no items.
Greed - I feel threatened when someone plays as my main character(or any of the other 6 or 7 characters that I really like) and proceed to mirror match, beat them, and claim my territory to discourage them picking them again.
Sloth - I will not go out of my way to unlock characters or stages before bringing my system over to a party for others to play. Because it's boring.
Wrath - i will get my jimmys rustled if I lose a serious match with one of my main characters.
Envy - Hey at least I'm not jealous.
Pride - I'm the best out of my group of friends and implore them to remember that their natural state is groveling at their king's feet.

Oof it's going to be hard to compete with this format in this context, to anyone posting beyond.
got a laugh, great stuff XD

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The biggest sin: being a scrub. AKA calling anything at all ever 'cheap' or 'lame'.
I used to be this when I was a wee laddie.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I used to secondary Metaknight in Brawl.
I secondaried Falco in Melee.
I played Sheik once in Smash4.

I'll never clean my hands of any of that.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
Not using the shield until I started playing Smash 4.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I am happy with all characters in the game except for Alph, I don't even mind Dark Pit that much, but I despise Alph and consider Smash 4 Olimar to be Alph parading as Olimar, even when it's actually Olimar.
I actually like tiers and it makes me happier when I beat someone who's higher tier.
I didn't know about Smash attacks until Brawl.
I don't care about Wolf being cut, but I care about ICs.
I didn't care about DHD until he was confirmed, and now consider him one of the best additions.
I saw Ness in Melee and thought he was from some parent simulator thing judging from his franchise being called "Mother"
I get very salty.
I thought I was good at Smash Bros until I tried For Glory and was beaten in my first match to the point of rage quitting mid-match.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, my brothers and sisters, but I have sinned.

I once ragequit from a "For Glory" match after I had a failed recovery when I was at 10%.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I heavily dislike Smash 4's default roster. I spent damn near half my time on the 'boards complaining until Mewtwo was announced.

I didn't know you could hold B to go back in the menus in Melee. I would always just pick Ganondorf then manually press back.

I only main a character if they're interesting to me despite how well they play.

I used to be anti-tier back in the Brawl days. I still think some stage bans are unjust.

I play a bit "meaner" against people who main characters I dislike, and I will put more time into studying that MU.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
For all these years, I've rarely ever used up-tilts. Ever. At least until a few months ago. Up and A were for smash attacks in my book :p

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm having more fun playing For Fun matches than I am For Glory because I salt about the staleness of 1v1.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
My greatest sin was practically never shielding or dodge rolling until Smash 4 despite having played Smash since the N64 game released (I just wanted to run up and attack aggressively, not focus on defense I guess).

Another sin is using the Wiimote + Nunchuk for Brawl and intending to on Smash Wii U as well. I tried it once and actually... liked it and have used it ever since.

I also never use Counter as any character who has it. It just never crosses my mind to do so.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I could beat everyone I know with the wiimote alone on Brawl for years before I switched back to gamecube controls. #sinner

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I also never use Counter as any character who has it. It just never crosses my mind to do so.
You and me both... I couldn't counter if my life depended on it.

I am getting a bit more decent on grabbing and rolling however. (I never used them before)

PS: So surprised this thread is doing so well!

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I rarely use grabs. I just don't. I actually need to remind myself that I have a grab.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
This sounds like the Confessions thread on the Wii U section.

But just to list one...
- I have this bad habit of running up to someone who's charging up a Smash Attack in hopes of knocking them out of it. It never occurs to me that they can release before I get to them.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
This sounds like the Confessions thread on the Wii U section.

But just to list one...
- I have this bad habit of running up to someone who's charging up a Smash Attack in hopes of knocking them out of it. It never occurs to me that they can release before I get to them.
I have this issue too :/

Top Bottom