• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I've only played Melee once since I got Brawl back in 2011.
- I absolutely hate Wario's moveset in Brawl. Not sure why but none of his attacks feel right. And Project M didn't do much in fixing him either.
- Honestly I like what Project M did for the Melee characters, but they made pretty much every Brawl character worse.

BillyBomberBuster

Smash Rookie
Long ago during Melee I thought it was stupid to have Mewtwo as a playable character because of how powerful Mewtwo is supposed to be. It did not make sense that MEWTWO the god among pokemon, could be seen fighting against Pichu and Jigglypuff.... I thought it was a disgrace for Mewtwo to be playable.

Then after he did not return, I REALLY wanted him back LOL. I realize my silly logic was childish. This is a game were toys/trophies of characters from multiple universes are fighting each other...I realized this game does not have to make 100% sense.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I technically only own Brawl physically (my copy of Melee is dead and "new" copies are expensive and I don't have the cartridge for 64 T_T)

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
- I'm too young to have grown up with Smash64, and I've only played it a minimal number of times. I don't understand the nostalgia value of such a clumsy game.
- I have three siblings, and whenever myself or any of my siblings brought over a friend to play Smash, we made the rule that the loser would have to give up their place in favor of the one without a spot in the game at the point. This is how I developed my competive spirit regarding Smash Bros.
- The Smash series was my first contact with the LoZ series, and I was dead certain that Zelda was some sort of troll princess. Like, c'mon, she had pointy ears, was clearly able to use magic (and thus probably shapeshifting as well), and sported long skirts/dresses that were ideal for hiding a tail! It was enough for convince a clueless swedish kid such as myself.

Last edited:

SMauler9

Smash Rookie
- I haven't unlocked all the stages in Melee after 100hrs of play time.
- Can only wavedash on the rare occasion.
- Can only L-Cancel on the rare occasion.
- Rarely grab or shield.
- My first time playing smash was Brawl, and I didn't recognise Samus(and Zero Suit), Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Snake, Ness, Lucas, G@W, Captain Falcon, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Wolf, Shiek, Pit, Marth, Ike, Olimar and Ice Climbers.
- I still find myself playing Falcon in Brawl, despite him being horribly nerfed.
- For a long time, I never thought Meta Knight was good.
- I refused to believe Ganon was a Falcon clone, until I saw it for myself.
- I mained Samus in 64 for way longer than I should have.

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
I used to think I was good at Smash Bros Brawl because I could own my friends...but then I went to a local tourney and got my ass handed to me. Now I am determined to improve my game!

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
-I didn't start using grabs and shields till I played SSF2, a fangame.
-I have not played Melee in a long time.
-I could never play competitive for the life of me.
-I don't care about any SSB4's newcomers aside from WFT, Villager, and Miis. And I'm considering maining Pac-man.
-I don't use a Gamecube controller.
-I have never owned a Smash game in my life (Smash 3DS will be my first).

You may now begin lighting your torches and raising your pitchforks.
I have never even played Melee! People say it is the best in the series. I went from 64 Smash as a kid, didn't have a GameCube, to Brawl.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I have never even played Melee! People say it is the best in the series. I went from 64 Smash as a kid, didn't have a GameCube, to Brawl.
I've played Melee, but I haven't touched it in a long time (I used to play it with my cousin, but he doesn't own a Gameube nor Melee anymore).

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
I grew up with the OG 64.
It's bay far the one I've played most in the series, and it's still the party game of choice with me and homeboys.
The goofy sound effects and simplicity are prime. Only thing I wish was for air dodge, but otherwise perfect game.

Senario

Smash Ace
Here is a shot. I believe the benefits to wavedashing far outweigh the downsides of the input being tough for some. You can waveland. Wavedash. Work with the ledge and mindgames in general. I know we wont get it back but i still feel that its benefits outweigh the downsides by a large degree.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Though I mostly have a very unfavorable opinion of the leak, I have a soft spot for [Duck Hunt Dog]. And I think it's a shame that they didn't call him by his canon name, [Mr. Peepers].

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
My brother hates Marth in Smash Bros. He actually likes to imagine on Melee and Brawl forums, people call Marth "Martha". But keep in mind my brother isn't the most well-equipped to Smash.

Skyward

Smash Apprentice
The leak killed a lot of hype I had for the game. That said, I feel that it is less how I don't like the content of the leak but rather the fact that it was dropped on us so suddenly. I liked most of the characters we got so far but I don't like the leak characters. If we had proper buildup for the leak characters I wouldn't mind as much, but as it stands getting multiple characters I don't like the idea of and then dumping them on me with little idea of how they work or whether they can redeem themselves makes me not look forward to seeing the final game. And also because I will kill a man if Wolf is cut.

On a brighter note:

- I am a casual player who tap jumps, yet I don't like playing with items most of the time.
- I prefer Melee over Brawl, yet I play Brawl far more often.
- I have yet to try Project M, and a really stupid reason why I'm reluctant to adapt to it is that Wolf's blaster looks stupid in how slow the projectile moves. I'm sure it's a fine move and there is a proper reason for it to be like that, I just cannot get past how silly the move now looks when was fine in Brawl.
- I would be fine with composers and musicians not usually connected to video games doing remixes of music in their style for Smash Bros.
- :wolf:looks like he has a big shard of glass in his eye.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
-When I was very young, I hated playing the original Smash game: my brother would always make me play it with him when I just wanted to play Bomberman 64 Hero
- I never unlocked Ness in the original Smash 64 (though I did unlock him years later on the virtual console version)
- When I first got Melee, I used to think that Ness was a made up character (created only for Smash) and that he was the person who controlled Master Hand
- Melee was the first game where I found out Zelda was also Sheik
- When I was younger, I would play Melee as Dr. Mario's black outfit and call myself the ninja doctor
- I never knew how to properly use Ness' PK Flash and his PSI Magnet until Brawl
- Back when online was still up for Brawl, all I would do is goof off and never fight
- I've had Brawl since the day it was released, and still haven't completed All-Star mode with everyone
- I actually liked SSE
- I actually think Waluigi would be an interesting playable character

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I didn't like the first Smash Bros.
It was Melee that got me into the series
I can't wavedash, I just love Melee's fast pace
Brawl was easy to put down for me.
I'm upset the recent leak happened
I Want an Adventure mode on Wii U but I worry we won't have one.
The Series needs more villains
I wanted Waluigi playable

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
-Ness is my favorite N64 character even though my friends think his recovery is terrible
-My best friend thinks Smash 64 is the best of all by far and refuses to allow himself to enjoy Brawl... and it drives me bananas
-Basically the only reason I don't like competitive Melee is that in tourneys you see the same 4-5 characters all the time and that feels boring to me
-I almost always choose Random when selecting a character, play as everyone, and don't have mains

Edit: Last thing, I am one of the only people in the world who played Earthbound before Smash 64 came out, and was legitimately super-pumped when I found out/unlocked Ness was in the game

Last edited:

josh bones

Smash Lord
I can wobble, but I can't infinite.
I love brawl doubles way more then any other games doubles because of the options. You see :ness2:and :zerosuitsamus:, :toonlink: and :metaknight:, and :popo: stay the hell away

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
  • I have still not played Smash 64 to this day.
  • It's thanks to Smash that I got into other Nintendo series like Metroid, F-Zero, Earthbound/MOTHER, and Kid Icarus. Before then I was only familiar with Mario (incl. Wario and Yoshi), Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby and Star Fox.
  • I was spoiled on the plot of Mother 3 thanks to Lucas's trophy.
  • When Sm4sh comes out, I'll probably only get the 3DS version since it'll probably be a long while before I get a Wii U.

Last edited:

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
-I can't wavedash in Melee and PM.
-Melee is my favorite smash game, but it's my worst smash game.
-I feel that Melee is a more casual game compared to Brawl.
-I'm okay with clones.
-I use to hold a grudge against the competitive scene.
-I like Roy so much because of all the ****ton of haters he has.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't mind clones.

I would support a playable Master Chief...

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
More from me:

I just found out DK's Cargo throw has a forward, down, up, and back throw yesterday. I just thought it was a forward throw. I've been playing Melee since it released.

I have never played PM

I like 64 over Brawl

I can't main a character my friends main first. I can play that character for fun tho.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I usually deliberately suck at competitive play, be it Brawl or Project M. I guess my ancient golem autistic/Aspie brain is too slooooow for such a gameplay format.
I'm actually going to enjoy Dark Pit, especially if he somehow plays in a completely different manner from the real Pit.:4pacman:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
— I have managed to teach level 3 CPUs to occasionally use frame-perfect SDI in Brawl, despite being unable to reliably perform SDI myself.
— I have managed to teach level 7 CPUs to use frame-perfect SDI to escape the second hit of Pit's FSmash almost 50% of the time in Brawl, again despite being unable to do it myself at all ever. (Literally I hit a grounded CPU dead-on with Pit's FSmash, and the CPU SDIs upward over the second hit and punishes me.)
— I have managed to teach level 7 CPUs to use frame-perfect sidestep and roll dodges more reliably than I myself can.
— I accidentally taught Brawl CPUs on my copy to crouch-dance 3 times as a "mindgame". Like, they crouch-dance occasionally when in neutral.
— I have somehow managed to teach level 7 CPUs in Brawl to use better arrow control as Pit than I can.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
— I have managed to teach level 3 CPUs to occasionally use frame-perfect SDI in Brawl, despite being unable to reliably perform SDI myself.
— I have managed to teach level 7 CPUs to use frame-perfect SDI to escape the second hit of Pit's FSmash almost 50% of the time in Brawl, again despite being unable to do it myself at all ever. (Literally I hit a grounded CPU dead-on with Pit's FSmash, and the CPU SDIs upward over the second hit and punishes me.)
— I have managed to teach level 7 CPUs to use frame-perfect sidestep and roll dodges more reliably than I myself can.
— I accidentally taught Brawl CPUs on my copy to crouch-dance 3 times as a "mindgame". Like, they crouch-dance occasionally when in neutral.
— I have somehow managed to teach level 7 CPUs in Brawl to use better arrow control as Pit than I can.
My Pit CPUs would shoot their arrows in crazy zig-zags and typically miss. Otherwise, they're pretty good at using my strategies.

And I managed to teach my CPU Peachs to spam float attacks after one match, and they still do it to the day.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
- I havent palyed Melee since 2008
- I feel like Warios move set was perfect, regardless of what everyone else says
- I use King Dedede in 4 player matches mostly
- I lost my virginity during all star mode with a significant other sophomore year of high school
- I secretly despise Warios music selection in Brawl
- I hate the Warioware series and think its overrated and outshines the vastly superior Land series
- If Wario didn't exist I wouldn't be a nintendo fan

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
-1 Day before Brawl was released I got infected with bacterial Conjunctivitis but still I went to a store far away from my home just to buy the game. Then I played it using sun shades for 7 hours, taking pauses every 2 hours just to take my eye medicine.
-I broke my Wii trying to clean the lens and then I decided to return to Melee and learned to wavedash by pure luck
-I thought that Pichu was a superior clone of Pikachu because its stronger Skull Bash
-I didn't knew to SDI until 2012
-I really dislike Brawl's Event 41
-I still don't know how to DACUS
-I got all of the Melee bonuses except for that "Lethal Weapon" Bonus (So, no Diskun Trophy for me)

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
- I havent palyed Melee since 2008
- I feel like Warios move set was perfect, regardless of what everyone else says
- I use King Dedede in 4 player matches mostly
- I lost my virginity during all start mode with a significant other sophomore year of high school
- I secretly despise Warios music selection in Brawl
- I hate the Warioware series and think its overrated and outshines the vastly superior Land series
- If Wario didn't exist I wouldn't be a nintendo fan
Lost your virginity playing Smash? Lucky. I lost mine by beating Jax and Daxter.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I can't stand watching Melee tournament matches. I get annoyed how no one can freaking stand still for two seconds and they're just spazzing around everywhere.

Senario

Smash Ace
-I like Roy so much because of all the ****ton of haters he has.
This is highly inaccurate, Roy's our boy! Especially in the competitive scene. We acknowledge he is kinda bad but we still enjoy playing him/watching people like m2k play him. He's our boy! Who would hate Roy?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I consider Brawl to be like strawberry ice cream; I won't refuse it, because it's still ice cream, but I'll take other options when available.
  • Though I like Project M, I think its days are numbered. Aside from it's relatively tiny fanbase (and relatively large hatedom from both Melee and Brawl players), it's going to be overshadowed by the directly-competing SSB4 and vanilla Melee renaissance. Damn shame, really.
  • The fact that the leaker hasn't unlocked anything else yet makes me nervous.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
  • I consider Brawl to be like strawberry ice cream; I won't refuse it, because it's still ice cream, but I'll take other options when available.
  • Though I like Project M, I think its days are numbered. Aside from it's relatively tiny fanbase (and relatively large hatedom from both Melee and Brawl players), it's going to be overshadowed by the directly-competing SSB4 and vanilla Melee renaissance. Damn shame, really.
  • The fact that the leaker hasn't unlocked anything else yet makes me nervous.
The leaker got caught by Nintendo's ninjas.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
-I learned how to do ATs in Melee two months ago but don't care to dedicate myself to mastering it due to Smash 4 being so close.
-I love watching Melee, but I hate watching Brawl due to MK vs MK being a majority of the matches. Seriously, why didn't we ban him?
-Brawl is my favorite game to play (of all time). I enjoy and will play Melee and 64, but I prefer Brawl by a wide margin.
-I have yet (and refuse) to play Project M because I don't like what it stands for.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
- As of today, Shulk is the only character in the roster that I have no idea about him (story wise, other characters, etc)

Top Bottom