• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
I really like the idea of custom movesets. Controversially, I don't want them to be legal in tournaments.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
  • I prefer Brawl over all the other smash games, but I see myself leaving it behind since Smash 4 removed a lot of things even I hated that were in Brawl
  • I don't hate any of the smash games, I just have one I'm not really attached to, Smash 64.
  • I've been playing smash for a very long time and want to see myself keep going until I either get married or need to put other things in front of Smash, though I will support the community as long as I am alive in one way or another.
  • I'm working on a 100% play run of all the same games in order soon so I can feel a sense of accomplishment for doing all of them to perfect completion. I want to figure out how to set-up streaming equipment for it first along with buying said equipment

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
*I really think that custom movesets should be legal, and they are, to me, the coolest thing about Smash4.
*I think that Melee is the best in the series. 64 is second, and it is LIGHTYEARS better than Brawl.
*I don't really go to tourneys(only been to 1) but I still really like the high skill ceiling of Melee, and that's the main reason I prefer it to Brawl.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
2. I've always found CPUs to be more difficult to fight than competitively minded, well-trained humans. No idea why, but a level 9 CPU tends to be more difficult for me than a human with extensive training.
Me too. I find that I can only play at an satisfactory level when I can both read what my opponent will do, as well as read what he thinks I will do. I'm a very prediction-based player. This is why I can't beat CPUs for the life of me. They lack any real strategy and reading them is impossible.
I'm gay for Captain Falcon
We all are. But congratulations for being the first to step out of the collective closet ;)

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I've never used the shield nor ever use the "dodge" feature. And I wonder why I couldn't get past Cruel Brawl...

Farorae

Smash Ace
-Melee was my first smash game and for a few years to come I thought it was the first smash game
-Had it not been for my brother I would have bought a bunch of Yu-Gi-Oh toys over the GameCube, luckily he convinced me otherwise.
-I was only about 6 years old when I got Melee and my brother and I were convinced we had unlocked all of the characters. About two years later my friend told us that we didn't have everyone and came over and got us Game&Watch, who we were very disappointed in(though he has grown on me since).
-That same friend convinced us that the two empty spaces in the bottom corners in Melee were for Sonic and Tails and that you unlocked them after playing 2000 versus matches. My brother and I actually believed this for a few years because we were very young and didn't use the internet often enough to see if this was true, and when we did use it, it wasn't for smash.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I'm hoping I'll be able to find a girlfriend that plays Smash as much as I do. I feel romance can't work without friendship, and being someone's Smash rival really helps build your friendship with them in my experience.
  • I didn't fall for the Sonic/Tails hoax (mainly due to only hearing about it several years later), but I tried and tried to beat the challenge anyway to see if I could. I still haven't managed to do it yet.
  • I always mained Yoshi, but I only started maining the light blue one specifically when a big light blue Yoshi plush backpack was the last thing I ever bought from Blockbuster before it shut down.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I'm hoping I'll be able to find a girlfriend that plays Smash as much as I do. I feel romance can't work without friendship, and being someone's Smash rival really helps build your friendship with them in my experience.
This. So much this.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
- I have a Brawl mod installed that changes Peach's turnips to have stock anime expressions.

- I love playing as Pichu.

- I enjoy the campy, defensive competitive play in Brawl.

- I use tap jump.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I use all 4 controller options for Brawl.

Brawl far out-shined Melee because of its adventure mode and stage builder.

Im secretly and seriously hoping the Jigglypuff evolves into Wigglytuff for this game, while replacing her Neutral Special with Moonblast, which does almost the exact same thing, except Wigglytuff shoots a rock instead of herself.

I do believe Jigglypuff is a girl for every entry by far.

I hate Smash 64 due to lack of side special.

Had it not been for Smash Bros, and another forum, I would have never have known any of Nintendo's franchises but the Super Mario series.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Smash 64:
- It took me months to figure out how to use the Up B as a third jump.
- It took me twice as long to figure how to make Fox do the splits (his down smash)
- My middle school had a game room with an N64 and Smash. I would always choose Kirby and spam Rock in midair. I was then dubbed "No Skills Kirby"
- I never bought Smash 64. I borrowed it from a neighbor and they moved to Nevada before I could return it. My parents then sold it in a yard sale.
- Smash 64 (and Mario Kart 64) are the reason I became a gamer.

Melee:
- I have never beaten the 15 Minute Mult-Man Melee. I had a friend beat it for me.
- I fell for the Sonic/Tails and Toad hoaxes and spent weeks trying to unlock them.
- I accidentally unlocked all the characters without using a guide or anything. It took me a year.
- I beat Event 51 with Jigglypuff.
- I once had a sexy dream about Zelda and Sheik when I was 12.
- Another friend dared me to delete my Melee save file and I did it. He then called me an idiot. I didn't get everything back. And recently lost my GC Memory Card and haven't bought another one yet.
- I've Air Dodged myself off a stage countless times in attempts to learn how to wavedash.
- I've only recently learned of the competitive community last year.
- I too thought Marth was a girl.
- Poke Floats is my most favorite stage of all time.
- I've played Melee the most.
- It took me 3 hours to learn how to wall jump in Young Link's Target Test.
- As a kid, I would try to learn how to double jump in real life. I would also try to pull off the Fox Illusion on a trampoline.
- My little sister has broken 2 Gamecube controllers from all the rage quitting she did when we were little. I would always win.

Brawl:
- I didn't own a Wii till 2009. I didn't get Brawl till 2011.
- I was one who looked up the SSE cutscenes online. It didn't stop me from buying the game though.
- I still haven't completed Classic mode with each character. Same goes for All Star, Break the Targets, Boss Battles, and pretty much every other mode.
- I hosted a "tournament" at my local Straw Hat Pizza once with some friends. We did Free For All with Items on and had blast.
- I mostly use Project M to mod the soundtrack and character models.
- I use Wiimote-Nunchuck. If it runs out of battery, I just don't play even though I have a perfectly good Gamecube controller right here.
- I have Link modded to be a girl.
- Pikachu is modded with Egoraptor voice clips. Ike is modded with Stamper voice clips.
- I have 10 variations of U.N. Owen Was Her? remixes for some of the music.
- I've played Brawl the least.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
  • In melee, I used to go into vs. mode and make up my own event matches when I was alone. I would link them together like a story, and characters would actually "die" when they lost, and things would get embarrassingly dramatic :p
  • For someone who looks down at the concept of 'waifus' and being attracted to imaginary characters, I can't deny that I find myself strangely attracted to Lucina :ohwell:
  • I was so frustrated when Falco beat me, after I put so much work into trying to unlock him in Melee, that I cried (I think I was 9!)
  • @ Farorae Farorae reminded me of when I was trying to unlock Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, and I had no idea of who he was except for his name (which I read on Gamefaqs). I too was disappointed with him at first.
  • The Smash 64 main menu would sometimes scare me as a child when I played alone at night. It gave me a weird vibe..
  • I hate playing against Marths in Brawl who use their Down-B's more than like 5 times in a 3 stock match. It's a strategy that I have a hard time countering, and it's a surefire way to piss me off!

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
  • For someone who looks down at the concept of 'waifus' and being attracted to imaginary characters, I can't deny that I find myself strangely attracted to Lucina :ohwell:
  • I was so frustrated when Falco beat me, after I put so much work into trying to unlock him in Melee, that I cried (I think I was 9!)
  • I hate playing against Marths in Brawl who use their Down-B's more than like 5 times in a 3 stock match. It's a strategy that I have a hard time countering, and it's a surefire way to piss me off!
My first crush was Toon Zelda (Minish Cap design).
I've lost to "New Challenger!" characters multiple times. Mostly because they're what, level 9 AIs? And I'm goofing around with some random character because I very seldom play one of my "mains".
Poké Floats was one of the best stages in Melee, and would have been even better if directly ported to Brawl (wihout size weirdness, please). Same with Brinstar Depths, though that one sucked in Melee. (Made worse by the fact that no-one has yet perfectly ported Brinstar Depths into Brawl.)

ROB is my most hated character to fight as a CPU. He just spams that quick, lasting-hitbox, wide-range DTilt and it's hard to get past it. Then I jump over to DAir him instead, and he sidestep dodges and then DSmashes me when I land.

I'm one of those Marth players you hate, and also a Lucario and Ike player you hate. Any time the opponent goes for a sufficiently telegraphed move, they get countered. I know there are sometimes better ways of dealing with the situation, but Counter is a quick and easy button input that gets me a highly-damaging punish.

Edit: Let me know if my posts sound incoherent in any fashion. I'm on Tylenol 3 right now, so hopefully the codeine doesn't show in my posts.

Last edited:

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
  • I used to spam Kirby's down special.
  • I thought Solid Snake's inclusion in Brawl was why it was rated T.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I thought the Wario Waft was why Brawl was rated T. Apparently I didn't pay attention to Melee's rating.
  • I still hate the Wario Waft. It may be useful, but it doesn't fit Wario and it's just toilet humor for the sake of toilet humor.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
  • I thought the Wario Waft was why Brawl was rated T. Apparently I didn't pay attention to Melee's rating.
  • I still hate the Wario Waft. It may be useful, but it doesn't fit Wario and it's just toilet humor for the sake of toilet humor.
:I Wario's a character who's known for being dirty and unhygienic...

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
The Legend of Red Marth reminds me of someone that I used to know in high school.

Like... I really doubt that it's the exact same person, but I once knew a guy who got so angry during a game of smash that he lifted his gamecube up into the air and was about to smash it into my face. The fact that it was plugged into a lot of stuff was what really prevented him from doing that.

Of all the people who were trash talking him at the time, I hadn't said **** to him other than "Hey, that's my handle!" because he was using my tag in Melee. Meanwhile other people were throwing pillows at him and throwing insults and crap. Yet for some reason I was the target for all his rage. He even said that "[Shiliski] was doing the worst stuff".

Crazy guy. I don't think I ever played with him much after that.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
When I was 9/10 (around the time Melee came out), my uncle showed me Tournament Mode and filled the entrants up to max capacity with CPUs. By "computer player" I thought the game was referring to players on computers, and that we were fighting in an online tournament with people from around the world...

...I was very unfamiliar with how things like the internet worked. I didn't have a regular computer in my household until 2007.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
After accidentally thinking a thread in the 64 section was one for the series in general, I felt this was needed.

Some basic ground rules:
  • This is not an Unpopular Opinions thread. Try not to say things that will cause people to get upset. This includes, among other things, suggesting a game is objectively superior to another (though you can state a preference), disappointment/complaining over characters that are/aren't/might be revealed, et cetera.
  • Use your common sense.
Fox is my main.. Even though I've only played Star Fox 64

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I honestly have no hatred toward any character's inclusion, even if I don't care for them in their source game or even in SSB (see: Olimar). I am happy to acknowledge that a character I may dislike is someone else's exact cup of tea and I therefore am happy to see them in the game.

However, every rule has an exception. For me, I loathe Dr. Mario. "I hate him so much, fla-- flames-- flames on the side of my face, heaving, breathless, heaving breasts, heaving--" (a humongous cookie to anyone who gets that quote, like for reals, I will love you forever). I really don't understand my hatred for him, but I just think he's the absolute dumbest inclusion, and the current leak with him in it makes me cringe.

The only thing I can do to make me accept him is to come up with some ridiculous head cannon for him involving him being either an alternate timeline "Doctor" version of Mario, or else an imposter who is like a Dr. Moreau come to Smash Bros to conduct hideous experiments on the participants and must be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

(Disclaimer: If you genuinely like Dr. Mario, please don't take offense at my commentary. I am happy for you, and I wouldn't wish for the Doc to me absent just for my selfish preferences. ^__^)

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
-My brother was very scared of the "Game Over" in super smash bros 64, I used to tease him badly by highlighting no, then back to yes, then no again
-I have played smash 64 since I was born, it took me 7 years to figure out how to unlock ness ((REALLY?! 3 LIVES ON NORMAL? WITHOUT ANY CONTINUES?! Lol)) you don't know how hard I tried to do it on very hard with 1 life, no continues
-I love every single smash game, and enjoy the competitive techniques greatly
-I prefer no items, but items are also fun as hell
-I used to have crushes on female Nintendo characters LOL

Last edited:

Requiem Strider

Smash Rookie
NNID
Requiem_Strider
3DS FC
0044-3073-6859
I've always had this mindset in which I feel like I don't deserve to use, let alone main a character whose game of origin I have not completed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
-My Smash 64 already had everything unlocked, and I didn't realize you were supposed to unlock them until I messed around with the erase data button some time after Melee came around.
-I cannot main more then one character at a time in each individual Smash, even though I main completely different characters in each.
-I've always 100%ed each SSB before playing the next. (Wasn't that hard for 64 lol, but I did beat hard without continues.)
-I 100%ed Melee a few days after Brawl came out, and it was only a coincidence that I couldn't play Brawl until the day after I 100%ed Melee. I wasn't planning on 100%ing Melee anytime soon either.
-I never held back with my younger siblings, but I would against the CPUs you have to beat to unlock just to see them get excited about unlocking it.
-I stopped caring about items shortly after Melee came out, and only played 1v1s shortly after.
-I've inadvertently trained my sister to play Fox only, 1v1, no items, Final Destination. And I didn't like FD!
-I wasn't aware of Wavedashing and the like until the Brawl prerelease days, and I didn't want to learn how to do so because I didn't want to get really far ahead of my friends, and I didn't think they would be in Brawl simply because it was a new game.
-I feel somewhat uncomfortable playing as female characters in Smash, and only Smash. Including Jigglypuff. And Ivysuar.
-I never liked tiers, even though I always mained great characters just short of Melee Luigi. I didn't like the concept of figuring out who's best, and still don't I guess.
-I don't like watching people play SSB, but I don't even watch TV so I'm kooky I guess.
-I'd of spent the post KIU time playing competitive KIU instead of SSB if competitive KIU was more popular.
-I'd be spending my "waiting for AZGV/SSB4" time playing competitive SSB instead of competitive KIU if Brawl's horrible Wi-Fi was still working.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Hi - This is Zapper, and I got some "Smash Confessions"

• I'm a C-Stick user, but I blend it too well for my friends to capture me using it.
  • My worst character in Melee is Yoshi.
  • I actually liked the inclusion of R.O.B in Brawl.
  • My worst character in Brawl is Wario.
  • I never won the 3 classic 64 stages in Melee myself. I always got help from friends since I'm too lazy.
  • I'm the only one of my friends who can actually play as Ness in Melee.
  • I hated how I had to unlock Mewtwo in Melee and Alternative Toon Link, Wolf and Jigglypuff.
  • I can't stand playing on the following stages; 75m, Rainbow Cruise, Hanenbrow, Flat Zone 2, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Frigate Orpheon, New Pork City.. So the "Random Stage" Option is something I'm gratefull for. (As you can see, not a big fan of sidescrolling/moving stages)

Last edited:

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
I only have one weird Smash "confession"... (I think?).

I can barely use a Gamecube controller to play Smash Bros. I've tried to practice with the Gamecube controller for a couple of months, but it still seems impossible to use. The Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles and I can use the controller well in every game except Smash Bros. After I bought Brawl and used the Wii remote and nunchuck there was no way back.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Let's see...

-I love the Gamecube controller, but I'm open to new options. It kinda bothers me that it's seen as the only way to play Smash.
-From a competitive standpoint, I think Melee is overrated.
-I enjoy playing competitively, but I prefer playing on crazy stages with every item.

I have more, but I'm tired. Those are the big ones, though.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
  • I put my copy of Melee on eBay when Brawl came out.
  • I've never played in an official tournament.
  • I really don't care for wavedashing. The input's too complicated, and it looks totally unnatural on the screen.

Top Bottom