• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I prefer using the Wiimote with the nunchuck. I just think the Gamecube controller is a little awkward to use.

I really loved playing Subspace Emissary and was shocked when Sakurai decided not to bring the concept back.

I think Falco's Brawl move set is miles better than his Melee one.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I honestly have no hatred toward any character's inclusion, even if I don't care for them in their source game or even in SSB (see: Olimar). I am happy to acknowledge that a character I may dislike is someone else's exact cup of tea and I therefore am happy to see them in the game.

However, every rule has an exception. For me, I loathe Dr. Mario. "I hate him so much, fla-- flames-- flames on the side of my face, heaving, breathless, heaving breasts, heaving--" (a humongous cookie to anyone who gets that quote, like for reals, I will love you forever). I really don't understand my hatred for him, but I just think he's the absolute dumbest inclusion, and the current leak with him in it makes me cringe.

The only thing I can do to make me accept him is to come up with some ridiculous head cannon for him involving him being either an alternate timeline "Doctor" version of Mario, or else an imposter who is like a Dr. Moreau come to Smash Bros to conduct hideous experiments on the participants and must be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

(Disclaimer: If you genuinely like Dr. Mario, please don't take offense at my commentary. I am happy for you, and I wouldn't wish for the Doc to me absent just for my selfish preferences. ^__^)
Yeah, I used to have the same problem with Dr Mario. I could never wrap my head around the fact that two Marios are in Smash Bros. It at least makes sense for Link, Young Link and Toon Link, since they are all from parallel universes. Since time travel exists in the Mario universe, I guess Mario could meet his past/future self in Smash.

I usually get exited over every character inclusion, whether I know them or not.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
in the time between the release of melee and brawl (5 years or so?) I thought I was very good at it. I could beat three cpu's lvl9 at once and I thought I was amazing. Then brawl arrived, and I started doing tourneys (brawl) and saw people play melee (I had never looked up vids before) and I was like: what the hell is going? What are they doing? What's l-cancelling? What's wave-dashing? The shame xD

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I used to have the same problem with Dr Mario. I could never wrap my head around the fact that two Marios are in Smash Bros. It at least makes sense for Link, Young Link and Toon Link, since they are all from parallel universes. Since time travel exists in the Mario universe, I guess Mario could meet his past/future self in Smash.

I usually get exited over every character inclusion, whether I know them or not.
I mained Dr. Mario because his superman punch is my favorite move in the series.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I use the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo in Brawl. I also don't give a crap about tournaments or tier lists. I guess you can call me a casual, I dunno.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
I've never looked at a tier list. My 5 most played characters in melee are Dr. Mario, Falco, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers and Ness. I'm assuming the last 3 are all lower tier.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've never looked at a tier list. My 5 most played characters in melee are Dr. Mario, Falco, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers and Ness. I'm assuming the last 3 are all lower tier.
Ice Climbers are actually top tier!

Another from me:
I always beat my friends in Smash pretty convincingly. I'm hesitant to join a tournament for fear I'll be beat bad. I'm not used to losing.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers are actually top tier!

Another from me:
I always beat my friends in Smash pretty convincingly. I'm hesitant to join a tournament for fear I'll be beat bad. I'm not used to losing.
wow, I'm surprised, they're powerful but easy to kill too.

I had a pretty large group of friends that all played smash and was way better than most of them but got a beatdown in a tournament. I guess I lean more towards casual and knew I was in trouble when I heard people talking about the frames of animation it takes for characters to do moves.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
- I love the SSE
- I play with Wii Mote and Nunchuck
- I've only played Melee once
- I Prefer Brawl to Melee

D

Deleted member

-I play and love every game in the Smash series, they're all too good for me to choose a favorite.
-To this day I have yet to unlock Luigi in 64. I really have no idea how to.
-Since my GameCube controllers crapped out on me (thank god the special edition ones are coming soon) I've been using the Wiimote + Nunchuck for Brawl and Project M. I think it works pretty well.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-My dream is to move to America, just to take part in tournaments. We don't get them much in England, and if we do, they're in London. I'm miles away from London.
-I use the Classic Controller for Brawl. It reminds me of a Gameboy for some reason.
-I used to, and still do, crush on male Nintendo characters...I'm not even ashamed.
-I only got a Wii and Brawl on Christmas 2013. This Christmas, I'm buying a Wii U.
-I only play on the Easy and Normal difficulties. I'm such a wimp.
-I really like playing as Jigglypuff. Especially with her sun hat alt.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • If the current leak proves to be true, I will seriously reconsider buying SSB4. I don't mind Duck Hunt Dog, but the cuts are inexcusable and no non-Mii newcomer has excited me even a little.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
* I have never played Smash 64.
* I almost never shield, although I'm trying to use it more often so that I'm actually decent at defense.
* I play Smash Flash 2 a lot, and main Black Mage of all characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
  • I love video game because I played ssbm. That's what I call my foundation since I couldn't believe how amazing a game can be when everything has a purpose. Reflecting other games was what completely blew my mind and it will never move from my best game list because of it. I owe a lot to Sakurai for literally changing my life for the good.
  • Before I could read in English, there was some funny stuff about me being so clueless. For example, I had no idea who the heck is ganondorf. Same for g&w, but I loved him and he's still my main FOR NOW.
  • I don't know how I managed to get that super sudden death match helps to get 700 in hours. Shame I didn't know that stamina is faster.
  • Menu 1 is the only music that can still today make my nostalgia cap. I may have heard it more than a 1000 time and I'm not joking. I can't forget this track.
  • If I only consider the mode itself, I liked SSE. My problem is its implementation.
  • Smash is consistent since ssbm to always include a sound test and for me, that's the best bonus feature I could use in any video game. I love to see music getting in just for looking forward to listen them on this as it's pretty much the best audio quality possible since it's directly from the hardware and not those mp3 (I hate those so much).
  • I'm not going to get disappointment no matter what happens until release since my biggest and last worry was repping on Paper Mario going further than trophies. It's done and I can't wait for this game.
  • I love the current game artstyle while I hated the brawl one especially on toon link.

• I only had one controller for unlocking Mewtwo, and I was too afraid to leave my GameCube on overnight because I already had disc-read errors in the past. Yeah, had to do it the hard way :c
  • I used the same Melee save for my entire "career." Even when I lost my own copy of Melee, I took my memory card to friends' houses when I would play. I would have been outraged if I had to unlock all that stuff again, which is why it strikes me as weird when people hope for more and more locked content for future games.
  • I unlocked Mr. Game & Watch, and thus All-Star mode, the night before I was leaving with my family for a Carnival Cruise to Key West and Cazumel, Mexico. My ship was the Jubilee, and it wasn't a halfbad experience. In fact, it was wonderful. Still, even on this amazing journey for a kid my age, I was just excited to get back home and play more Melee.
  • One time, I was going through my saved custom stages in Brawl and saw a rather crudely-constructed one called "Poop piles," and to this day I have no idea who made it or who would even be savvy enough with the game to have made it. A ghost, maybe?
Edit:

Oh yeah, I never registered names when I played. Except for on my friends' memory card where I registered a bunch of obscene words.

Last edited:

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
-I actually love Brawl (Like Melee more, competitively but Brawl is a much better game to play just with friends that aren't that good.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
  • If the current leak proves to be true, I will seriously reconsider buying SSB4. I don't mind Duck Hunt Dog, but the cuts are inexcusable and no non-Mii newcomer has excited me even a little.
I've heard that it supposedly isn't all the characters, but I don't even believe it anyway.

D

Deleted member

- I like the idea of a handheld Smash Bros.
- I played Melee the most, and doing advanced techniques like the wavedash, waveshine, and moonwalk were pretty hard at first, but I mastered them quickly.
- I like all Smash Bros. games equally.
- I like the idea of third party characters, since they add some kind of variety to the roster.
- I use Captain Falcon in Melee, yet I'm somewhat better with Mario in Project M.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Even so, I'm reacting so strongly out of fear it MIGHT be real.

Murphy's Law, y'know.
I'm just assuming it's fake because it's a leak. Never believed any of the other leaks, even Palutena's. The biggest thing against it IMO is that it mentions DLC, which I'd imagine wouldn't even be conceptual at this point because they're still working on SSBU. Don't forget Sakurai said the rosters would be exactly the same, so he wouldn't just put it in SSBU by default.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Really? In a roster of over 50 characters not having a couple clones and a couple pokemon ruin the whole game for you?

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet
I was so excited that Wario was going to be in Brawl that I would rewatch his scene in the announcement trailer everyday for several months.

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I have been playing since the original Smash Bros and I still use the joystick to jump.

I don't think I ever successfully unlocked Ness before switching to Melee.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Really? In a roster of over 50 characters not having a couple clones and a couple pokemon ruin the whole game for you?
I'm already floundering on whether or not to buy for several other reasons, so this would just be the final nail in the coffin.

A coffin that, I might add, already has more nails than a beauty salon.

also you're calling lucas and wolf clones what

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'm already floundering on whether or not to buy for several other reasons, so this would just be the final nail in the coffin.

A coffin that, I might add, already has more nails than a beauty salon.

also you're calling lucas and wolf clones what
Lucas isn't a clone. He's better than Ness. That makes him Different.
Same with Doctor Mario.

:troll:

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I taught myself how to play competitive melee using an emulator and a PS3 controller. I wasn't able to get an actual console at school until about 4 months after I started.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
My GameCube almost burned when I was unlocking Mewtwo because I actually played 700 consecutive Sudden Death Matches without exiting the VS Mode

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
My GameCube almost burned when I was unlocking Mewtwo because I actually played 700 consecutive Sudden Death Matches without exiting the VS Mode
Sheesh, you were probably close to the 20 hours requirement anyway by the time that finished.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Yesterday I learned how to start a battle as Zero Suit Samus in Brawl. It wasn't until recently that I realized that I didn't necessarily need regular Samus's final smash in order to get her.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I stumbled into unlocking Mewtwo by legitimately playing the game for however long you need to. I still don't even know what the requirements are. That's how accidental it was!
- I rarely C-Stick. Not that I'm stubborn or casual about it, I just always forget to use it. I guess I haven't trained myself yet.
- I mentioned that I got my Smash 64 from a neighbor. They already had everyone unlocked so I've yet to legitimately unlock them myself.

Zero Suit Hero

Smash Rookie
How about I post again? I did almost 15 1 minute KO fests against CPUs on Shadow Moses Island to unlock Snake. Also, I only liked to use Zero Suit Samus because she was, well, ya know, er, hot, I guess, but I actually started getting good with her.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Don't do it, man.
I mean, I'm with you with that Ice Climber cut but Smash is Smash! And if the DLC rumor is true then we might get lucky and get every single Brawl character (except Squirtle and Ivysaur). If the DLC rumor is false, then I hope the roster is just as false. It seems wrong to have a Smash game without the Ice Climbers, especially after Sakurai stated that he liked them so much.

But yeah, I'm in a similar boat, just not that extreme.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Lucas is not a clone; almost all of his normals are significantly different. As for Wolf, the only clone-ish thing about him is that his moves transition back to Fox's idle pose before slouching back into his own, which is really pretty lazy from an animation perspective.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • When I was a kid looking up unlocks for Melee, I somehow convinced myself that "Marth" was a typo, and I then proceeded to try as fast as I could to unlock Darth Vader. When Marth actually did show up, I thought he was Mr. Game & Watch (who I'd never heard of at the time either), because something about him made me think he was a carnival barker and, thus, someone who would have that name. I was not a very logical kid.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
  • When I was a kid looking up unlocks for Melee, I somehow convinced myself that "Marth" was a typo, and I then proceeded to try as fast as I could to unlock Darth Vader. When Marth actually did show up, I thought he was Mr. Game & Watch (who I'd never heard of at the time either), because something about him made me think he was a carnival barker and, thus, someone who would have that name. I was not a very logical kid.
[/quote
I used to think that Obi Wan Kenobi was unlockable in Brawl because he was featured in some 'charactes who should've been in Smash' videos.

Top Bottom