• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Portugal National Tournament #2

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
[COMPLETED! CHECK RESULTS HERE]​

2nd Smash National Portuguese Tournament

Hello again!

Since our first tournament has been a great success, we haven't stopped thinking about how the next one will be. And if this one was awesome, we promise you the next one will be even better. It will be held in Lisbon, at a global anime/gaming event called Anipop, which means we'll not only have more players than last time, but also more equipment and fun activities to take part in. If you can help in terms of material/etc., please do! Any kind of help is accepted, if it contributes to a better tournament.

The tournament will include Brawl singles, Brawl doubles and a crew battle between North and South of Portugal. and maybe even Western Spain.​

[Information]

• City: Lisbon
  • Date: 03.10.09 (monday the 5th is a holiday)
  • Adress: FW:Anipop @ Avenida de Roma, 14
  • Time: 14:00
  • Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Tournament Type: Singles/Doubles/Crews
  • Elimination Type: Pools (if we have 32 or more players) ; Double Elimination
  • Door Fee: 3€
  • Entry Fee (singles): 4€ (3€ if member of Anipop)
  • Entry Fee (doubles): 2€ per teammate (1€ if member of Anipop)
  • "Fun" activities: Anipop event ; SSB, SSBM, B+, etc.

[Prizes (depends on the number of players)]

Singles

• 1st place: ?€ (70%)
  • 2nd place: ?€ (20%)
  • 3rd place: ?€ (10%)

Doubles

• 1st place: ?€ (100% ; shared between the two winners)

[Rules]

General rules

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling/planking is banned.

Stage List

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Castle Siege
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium 1
  • Brinstar
  • Delfino
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Jungle Japes
  • Pictochat
  • Pirate Ship
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise

Set Format

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
  2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
  4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

[Players (updating every day)]

Confirmed players

[North]
[Center/South]
[Spanish]
[seeded players = *]

• King Funk (Falco)*
  • Flayl (Bowser)*
  • Bounty Hunter (Samus)
  • Mr. Burned (Snake)
  • NatP (Mr. Game and Watch)*
  • some1 (Marth)
  • RackamPF (Pikachu)
  • Pwner (Falco)
  • SpikeBolt (Pikachu)
  • Golden Ike (Ike)
  • Blue_Lightning (Lucas)*
  • BigLord (Captain Falcon)*
  • Muro (Diddy)*
  • NGFC (Yoshi)*

Undecided players (based on location, etc.)

• alvarinho (???)
  • brandao_21 (Lucas)
  • LuigiPT (Lucas)
  • xerife_das_internets (???)
  • Bruno (???)
  • Tabibito-san (???)
  • AEther (???)
  • Neo Tokyo (???)
  • Kaze (???)
  • Ninfan (???)*
  • Cripton (???)

Team list (check the list above to find yourself a partner)

• "Organizers" (Flayl + King Funk)
  • "Undecided Duo" (NatP + Golden Ike)
  • "Algo se passa!" (Muro + SpikeBolt)
  • "Pulmao Feliz" (Mr. Burned+ RackamPF)

Seeds are constituted of:
  • Eight "merit" seeds (the top 8 players of the last tournament)
  • Four "hype" seeds (players, mostly newcomers who are expected to do well)

[Codeset and Texture Pack]

DOWNLOAD FULL TOURNAMENT PACK HERE

Special tournament edition codeset includes:

• Infinite Replays
  • Tags in Replays
  • Unrestricted Replay Camera
  • Unrestricted Pause Camera
  • File Replacement (which allows textures)
  • Default Tournament Settings (game automatically chooses 3 stock/8 minutes)

The discussion on the event is now open! ^^

Flayl

Smash Hero
Inventário

Wiis:
Host - 1
Flayl - 1
King Funk - 1
Golden Ike - 1
Mr. Burned - 1
NatP - 1

Brawl:
Flayl - 1
King Funk - 1
Golden Ike - 1
Mr. Burned - 1
NatP - 1
BigLord - 1

Tatsunoko VS Capcom:
Flayl - 1

Wii Sports Resort:
Flayl - 1
Golden Ike - 1
BigLord - 1

Guitar Hero 3:
Flayl - 1

Mario Kart Wii:
BigLord - 1
Golden Ike - 1

Televisões:
Host - 2
Flayl - 3
NatP - 1
King Funk - 1

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
nice to see Portugal doing more tournaments =D.

I'll tell some spanish players that live near portugal that there's a tournament and maybe they'll go :p

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ainda é muito cedo para te preocupares com inscrições, dá a tua opinião sobre em que cidade é que deve ser.

Muro

Smash Lord
na minha opiniao, ser numa cidade ou noutra, por si so, nao é uma coisa em k se possa votar, quem e de lisboa vota em lisboa quem e do porto vota no porto, geograficamente lisboa fica ao centro lol, dai e a mais neutra. A nao ser que consigam um espaço melhor numa ou noutra n tou a ver em qual e que voto

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
nice to see Portugal doing more tournaments =D.

I'll tell some spanish players that live near portugal that there's a tournament and maybe they'll go :p
Thanks a lot, Marcbri. ^^

Back to topic. I think in Lisbon we already have a stable location, so it's easy to re-organize a tournament there. We know the people, and the prices (it doesn't cost much, as well).

LuigiPT

Smash Rookie
Well, living in the south, and since there is no south option, my vote would go to Lisbon, since it is way more easy to get there than Porto.

Muro

Smash Lord
my vote goes for Lisbon, the location will never please everyone but at least this way its the same for North/South

NatP

Smash Ace
Porto

10portos

Also, add me inconfirmed if it's lisbon but if it's porto I'll definitely go. ;)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
By the way guys, I only add as confirmed the one who say they will go anyway may it be Lisbon or Porto, and that's been the case for Bounty Hunter, Mr. Burned, Flayl and me.

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
I vote for porto :bee:
The reason is because is the only way MaverickZ can go and i want to meet him. Some zwame guys might go too (Cmind and tigas).
I'll go either way.

Please remove DK from my character, i am (again) undecided.

EDIT: O some1 estará no torneio!!! (onde quer que seja)

NatP

Smash Ace
Alright I talked to my Dad. I'm going to this, no matter what. It'll be harder than last time, because my dad won't be able to take me, but dangitt I'll find a way. COUNT ME IN!!

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I vote for porto :bee:
The reason is because is the only way MaverickZ can go and i want to meet him. Some zwame guys might go too (Cmind and tigas).
I'll go either way.

Please remove DK from my character, i am (again) undecided.

EDIT: O some1 estará no torneio!!! (onde quer que seja)
Holy ****! some1 is coming to the tourney! xD

some1 is an awesome Marth player, happy that he will come!

NatP

Smash Ace
Ok, so I just noticed that the first post says that there might be a doubles tourney, and last time, I couldn't team with anybody because no one could team with me D:. So this time, I'm asking before the tourney. Who wants to be my partner for this? I have no preference over anyone or any character.

Muro

Smash Lord
if spikebolt goes i'll prolly be teaming with him but if not i would like to team with you natp :p, also when will we get a final decision on the location?

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
if spikebolt goes i'll prolly be teaming with him but if not i would like to team with you natp :p, also when will we get a final decision on the location?
would be interesting to see King Funk+Flayl vs NatP+Muro ;)

I will be teaming with pwner.

I think the location will be revealed in september cause this kind of poul will be available on the other sites (fnintendo and ptfighters at least) in late August.
What about Aveiro? at least is not too far from Porto and is closer to Lisbon than Porto. Just throwing this into the discussion but i think is a worse solution than lisboa/Porto cause almost no one (except me and a few) have their homes close enough to walk up there/go in urban transports.

NatP

Smash Ace
Lol, I'm not that great in teams, even though g&w is supposed to be the best at teams. :p And aveiro sounds like a great idea. It's certainly a much more pratical solution for everyone.

Muro

Smash Lord
I almost never play teams :S but wario and snake are supposed beasts at teams so ill give it a go lol. Aveiro is cool, i have family there and is also a city i like, plus OVOS MOLES :D

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'll be teaming with Flayl for regular Brawl doubles (unless he wants to team with someone else). I looked at a video recently, which inspired me in teaming with Muro for friendlies (look at the awesome strategy that starts at 3:25).

As for Brawl+ doubles, I'll be teaming with Lemon, you can't imagine what awaits you. ^^

I'll think about Aveiro...

Muro

Smash Lord
look at the awesome strategy that starts at 3:25.

I'll think about Aveiro...
what video? i can only imagine its something about wario since Lemon plays snake, and our hosts are too good lol, they even let us choose where the torney is, I think ill sugest Seia next time xD

NatP

Smash Ace
Hmm, I want to suggest an idea. What if we do crews? North vs South. I know that south is probably more numerous, but we can work something. I think that this would be an interesting thing to do, considering none of us (I think) have ever done such a thing.

Muro

Smash Lord
Hmm, I want to suggest an idea. What if we do crews? North vs South. I know that south is probably more numerous, but we can work something. I think that this would be an interesting thing to do, considering none of us (I think) have ever done such a thing.
i thought of that also, but last tornament finished late, +- 7:00 pm right? if we are gonna do singles + doubles, i doubt theres much time for something else :S, but its a nice idea

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
i thought of that also, but last tornament finished late, +- 7:00 pm right? if we are gonna do singles + doubles, i doubt theres much time for something else :S, but its a nice idea
Oops sorry forgot to post the link of the video (with the funny strat at 3:25):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2key5vf4m8Q

North vs South would be very good, I could very much imagine a 5v5 crew battle between both regions, but I don't really know if we will have time for such a thing. After all, let me remind you: we are playing FOUR tournaments already (Brawl AND Brawl+ singles and doubles). We'll see how things turn out. One thing is sure, we need MORE TV's, it MUST go faster because the last tournament took a lot more time than it should have.

My suggestions for improving speed:
  • more TV's
  • no incidents with remote controls
  • no confusion with material (WiiMotes particularily)
  • lesser delays/breaks between matches
  • no friendlies on tournament TV's
  • having people pay attention to tournament progress/brackets
  • everyone bringing their own controllers or at least knowing who to borrow from just in case
  • everyone bringing their own lunch

NatP

Smash Ace
Ohhh, brawl+ singles?! Wow, I suck at that game so badlyy (or atleast so far) and hum, will we have to pay to enter each one of them? Like 5 euros for all?

Muro

Smash Lord
bah id rather have crews instead of brawl+ stuff :p

edit: i just watched the video, LOL thats too good xD

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
bah id rather have crews instead of brawl+ stuff :p

edit: i just watched the video, LOL thats too good xD
I thought this way: if too few people manage to get Brawl+ (and get good at it), we'll just do something else. Maybe we should do Brawl+ in the winter tournament instead. Crews is a great idea, but we should decide how many players we will have for each side. I recommend 7 players, what do you think?

EDIT: by the way guys, get an account on Allisbrawl

NatP

Smash Ace
7 players would be good, but we need to find more northern players. So far we don't have 7 or even 5. :/

And also I have an account on aib, butttttt my record is kinda embarrassing there, so I stopped playing there. >.<

EDIT: About the brawl+ thing, I think that if we are going to play another smash game, let it be melee. It's a much better game than brawl+ and, yes it's hard to popularize but it is worth it.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
7 players would be good, but we need to find more northern players. So far we don't have 7 or even 5. :/

And also I have an account on aib, butttttt my record is kinda embarrassing there, so I stopped playing there. >.<

EDIT: About the brawl+ thing, I think that if we are going to play another smash game, let it be melee. It's a much better game than brawl+ and, yes it's hard to popularize but it is worth it.
Find me 13 GOOD Melee players and I'll accept that (you can count me in, I am getting a lot better every day). But Brawl+ > (in terms of fun) Melee, because the game is fresh and new, it is more balanced, and members of our Portuguese community will like it more.

Right now for October, I am liking more the idea of a crew battle, but if the tournament happens in Lisbon, I'm afraid players from the north won't be so numerous.

Muro

Smash Lord
i play for north, Seia is more north than south so count me as north :p ill get an account on aib, 7 is a good number, anyway if 1 or 2 players are missing from a crew we can do 5vs5 or 6vs6, its something that can be decided just before we start playing, i dont think ill ever play brawl+ maybe just for fun but never a tournament, i just so happen to like brawl :)

NatP

Smash Ace
Well finding good players will be hard, considering no one ever played it before, and also considering it doesn't have online, but I still think it deserves a chance. I mean, after we show everyone all the at's it has, maybe it could become popular, idk.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well finding good players will be hard, considering no one ever played it before, and also considering it doesn't have online, but I still think it deserves a chance. I mean, after we show everyone all the at's it has, maybe it could become popular, idk.
Well, I'll count out who is ready to play Melee (at a good level).

Oh and by the way, Brawl+ has online play, it works perfectly as long as both players have the same codes.

I seriously recommend you to get it and try it (it's very easy, check the Smash Workshop on smashboards or this site), because you probably couldn't have analyzed well last time how AWESOME this hack is. It's extremely addictive. But, like Melee, we still don't have many people playing it, so,

For October, I recommend Brawl singles, Brawl doubles, Brawl crews and that's it. We'll probably do Melee and Brawl+ some other time. I'm sure in one year we can manage that (look below). ^^

Future potential tournaments:
  • December
  • February
  • April
  • June
  • July

NatP

Smash Ace
I do have brawl+, but to me it's just not the same as melee. I mean, it's just different. And to be honest, the only thing I really love about brawl+ is charizard lol. I always wanted to use him in brawl but stamina and mandatory changing on death made this impossible. But this problems aren't in brawl+ which is awesome. Maybe I should play a little more of brawl+ before complaining about it I guess.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I do have brawl+, but to me it's just not the same as melee. I mean, it's just different. And to be honest, the only thing I really love about brawl+ is charizard lol. I always wanted to use him in brawl but stamina and mandatory changing on death made this impossible. But this problems aren't in brawl+ which is awesome. Maybe I should play a little more of brawl+ before complaining about it I guess.
Different is not always bad. For regular Brawl, the difference to Melee was rather negative. Between Melee and Brawl+, there are very neutral differences that are either good or bad according to your point of view on what smash should be.

For example, what the developers must have thought when they took away L-canceling is that the game must be crystal clear like it was intended to be. L-canceling in Melee was hardly ever used by people from outside the community. The thing is, in regular Brawl, the characters' aerial landing lags are completely unbalanced and even deprive some of doing combos (compare Falco and Falcon). In Brawl+ though, they kept the Brawl concept of pre-defined landing lag but balanced it so that everything makes sense. Some call it auto-canceling, but in my opinion, it is simply modifying lag. The result is a game that resembles Melee and 64, although with less complicated AT's, concentrating more on character specific strats (since there's no wavedashing). What's good/bad about this? It's good if you like variation, fun and simplicity (still requiring quite a bit of skill) or bad if you love games that require an intense amount of technical skill.

I love Brawl+, and I can talk for hours about it. I still love Melee and 64, I'll still play them for years to come, but I find Brawl+ to be a fresher, more actual game that deserves to be on the spotlight more.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
this is a matter of opinion (and i respect yours), and what you look for in a game.
Even though for me 64 > Brawl+ > Melee > Brawl, I still like all of them because it's simply smash. Smash games are never bad. They are all awesome, and the gap I put between each one of them is tiny.

By the way guys, it'd be good if you helped me out finding more players for the tourney.

EDIT: updated the thread, putting colors to north and south players, that way we can see who we will have for the crew battle. This only applies to fully confirmed players.

Top Bottom