• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash players are gonna need a lot support after hearing this...

PIT_IS_BACK

Smash Journeyman
OMG...I am an idiot.... I was listening to that Donkey Kong music for a WHILE, trying to figure out what Donkey Kong Country game it was from, before I finally realized that it was from the original Donkey Kong arcade game...
*hug* there there, we all make mistakes sometimes.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
This is like the first "remix" we finally got. Thank you. Seems like all of the songs recently were just rehashes.

Still liked the music, though. It's sparse, but then again, the original was, also!

As for widescreen... well, Black Friday shopping FTW!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
To everyone even with a widescreen TV that thinks this update is good, please note that widescreen options are on the Wii options menu itself.

Thus, the phrases "like most Wii titles" and "Being able to just look at the image and know if you got your settings right is pretty huge, huh?" make me laugh in a bitter sort of way. He seems to be going out of
his way to taunt the people who pine for interesting updates.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
This week is turning out good. :)
It's accutally turning out better than previous weeks, but still kinda meh, but on the high side of meh. I hope to get a HD tv in the not to distant future and it may be wide screen so it's good to know. But for now, I'm stuck with my rockin' forever 27" standard tv.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess it's just suppose to be another improvement to the original system that Melee had which from what I remember seeing, Melee on Widescreen looked a a little bad. I don't exactly own an WS TV to make use of the feature right now but you never know.

The music wasn't bad for what it is. It's a remix of extremely low eight bit music that existed even before the NES did, there is only so much remixing you can do with a song like that one.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
The music was not bad because of where it came from... Overall though this update was poor at best, its a monday it would be a good idea to start it on something interests me (although it is an improvement, nothing that major is really gained from it)

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
It's accutally turning out better than previous weeks, but still kinda meh, but on the high side of meh. I hope to get a HD tv in the not to distant future and it may be wide screen so it's good to know. But for now, I'm stuck with my rockin' forever 27" standard tv.
Widescreen and Controls better than two new final smashes and some other cool screenshots? I think not.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai was nice enough to also throw some music our way (<a href="http://smashboards.com/blog/podpress_trac/web/2644/0/dk.mp3">Donkey Kong</a>) and take us back in time to the days when Hirokazu Tanaka would compose some of our beloved melodies such as those from Kid Icarus and Metroid.
Most of the people here won't have been old enough to remember anyway, and those who claim they do, are probably 16 year olds given an injection of nostalgia from wikipedia and maybe a few people who are actually old enough, or had siblings who were old enough to experience it.

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
such a lame update.....
but whatever

i think they should have done a techno remix of this little gem from donkey kong country instead

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYaDJK1OX3k

i hope they put it in the game as a my music cd just as is

tho it might be kinda strange to fight too

but i don;t care

:)

Most of the people here won't have been old enough to remember anyway, and those who claim they do, are probably 16 year olds given an injection of nostalgia from wikipedia and maybe a few people who are actually old enough, or had siblings who were old enough to experience it.
Either that, or they played video games from a very early age. I actually started playing video games at the age of 2, which astonishes me.

o_O?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It was quite a sweet update. Good thing I have an HDTV for widescreen. :) Oh, and this updates make up for last week's. That Donkey Kong music was good overall due to the beat and nostalgia that I got from it. And yes, Mario and Snake did switch places.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Either that, or they played video games from a very early age. I actually started playing video games at the age of 2, which astonishes me.

o_O?
I doubt that your parents would have bought you a console at that age though. They may have, but who'd seriously buy a console like the NES or SNES for a 2 year old, especially back in the 90s. Also, a good number of people who seem to reminisce about old games end up being 15-17, hardly old enough to appreciate what they're talking about. I'm not going to say this applies to everyone between those ages, but I don't think as many really remember as much as they claim.

I was playing games at around that age too, but that was only because I had a brother that was 7 years older than myself who actually wanted to play computer games. Even then, I barely remember games before the SNES-era (apart from those I kept on playing throughout my childhood, like certain games on the AMIGA, we left our NES in an old house and that was that). My brother is the same age as you and he appreciates all the same games as I do, but once again, that is owed to our older brother.

Smash Ace
not owning a widescreen TV, I didn't really care...
still, music is always welcomed from the 2007 department...
=2007=

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
A majority of people who got into Smash 64 as many as the veterans of these boards did are well aware of this game's origins, so no, the claims are probably pretty valid.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
They really are pulling their hair out trying to figure some filler updates....
But the DK music is awesome, and could have been an update alone

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god... Best. Update. Ever. Better than Metaknight's special moves the 2nd time...

This week is so much win... I bet SMYN will rate this week a perfect 11/10...

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why peopel are complaining. True, this isn't exaclty gorund-breaking, but it's a fine update. It's something we didn't really know, like yesterday (up-tap disabled), and came with some music. Same as last week. They're not new characters, crazy items or interesting stages, but they're pretty ncie updates. Looking back, this past week, and yhis one too so far, are very similar to what we got btween Sonic and E for All. The drought seems to be lifting, and really, a new character every day would just ruin it for us. I would rather we got a new character every week or so, maybe every other week, because that just maeks them even more special. These updates are fine ones, and tell us about the game things we didn't really have confirmed yet. Some of you guys need to get out of the "worst week ever" mindset. That was 2 weeks ago. Look at the updates with fresh new eyes, and forget about what happened a few weeks ago. The drought is over, stop acting like every update is horrible and accept that if we got epic updates every day it'd only make them seem weaker. "8-player brawls? That's ALL? This is like, the worst week ever. Come on Sakurai! Bring us something cool like last week when you revealed on-line leaderboards."
And then a month later "WTF? Another character update? Come on! Seriously, RIDLEY? THIS is the best he has? WE ALL knew ridley was in! This week sucks!"
Quit complaining. These updates are fine ones. Look at the ones we had in the past month. Besides Dedede, nearly every update was just like these. And we didn't whine. We said "Not a bad update" and speculated. Now that we had a bad week, we think that the others were sooo great when they weren't. They were just like this. But we forgot that, and thought that they revealed something epic every week. They didn't. Get out of the whiny mindset, and start looking at these like the drought had never happened.

As for my opinion, widescreen support is nice, and now we know. I'm not too happy with the DK music, but that's just my personal taste. It seems like they can't go a game without corrupting and synthesizing a classic DK tune...

Snakeee

Smash Master
So, if you swtich between standard and widescreen....two of the characters switch places!!! Amazing!
Seriously though, you can see a bit more of the stage in widescreen...potential problem for playing on standard?

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
To the people that complain about the update because they don't have a widescreen, think about the people who get wifi updates when they have no wifi connection or those who get music updates when they are deaf. /rant

I really enjoyed the DK remix. Donkey Kong arcade is one of my favorite games of all time.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Pretty sweet Music update, adding Tanaka to teh musician list :D

Widescreen support is sweet, to bad I can't afford one.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Wow... It really seems like they are running out of ideas. Widescreen support?
The update today was how to make the screen bigger. With pictures of the screen that you select your TV size on. Interesting, Sakurai. I think this was my favorite update so far. lol

I like the new Donkey Kong music, though. It sounds a lot different than the ones we've heard so far.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
They're not running out of ideas, they're filling in the huge gap caused by the delay. Duh.

Anyway! The widescreen update doesn't really affect me, and the music was kinda fun sounding in the beginning...but I just don't get it, really, havin not heard the original. Oh well!

WaterToFire

Smash Apprentice
They're not running out of ideas, they're filling in the huge gap caused by the delay. Duh.

Anyway! The widescreen update doesn't really affect me, and the music was kinda fun sounding in the beginning...but I just don't get it, really, havin not heard the original. Oh well!
My thoughts exactly.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
To the people who hate these updates lately- What if Sakurai wasn't kind enough to give us updates about his game DAILY on weekdays? All the characters we would know about would be: Mario, Link, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Zelda, Metaknight, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Pit. If you think the updates suck, might as well move to the Melee discussion forum and talk about Melee there instead of checking the Dojo everyday. Of course, there will be MORE "sucky" updates to come./endangryrant

Anyways, I kinda like the music.... Brings back good times.... The Widescreen update is good for me, but it's probably not very good for people with Standard TV peoples... o_o

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

I doubt it. I'm sure Sakurai knew about the delay in advance.

To the people that complain about the update because they don't have a widescreen, think about the people who get wifi updates when they have no wifi connection or those who get music updates when they are deaf. /rant
No ones really complaining about it. Some people that have to play on standard TV's are just like "awww man, i wish I had a widescreen"

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I think the fact that Sakurai kept whats their face a secret on the musicians list adds a little more (not enough to make it absolutely true. no theory is.) to the Musicians Page Theory. With Musicians from Kingdom Hearts(yay!) Golden sun and afew others (Cant remember : ( )

Then again. I can see how the rumor can be deconfirmed.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
A majority of people who got into Smash 64 as many as the veterans of these boards did are well aware of this game's origins, so no, the claims are probably pretty valid.
I'm talking about things on the NES like Kid Icarus, I very much doubt as many of the 16 year olds who claim to have fond memories of it actually have fond memories of it. Same goes for things like the Donkey Kong song, chances are, unless you played a rehash (which most people tend not to do unless they already have good memories of a game, or it's been upgraded somewhat), you won't have a clue what the song really comes from. They don't get nostalgic memories of these games, they remember playing a rehash from the past couple of years and claim they remember playing a game that was released several years before they were born.

Magma

Smash Cadet
To those saying we're not old enough to appreciate the classic tunes, I'm 17 and the first games I ever played, at age 3, were Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and Donkey Kong. So to say we don't have any idea what we're talking about is kind of insulting.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what i've just noticed. Where not going to get another character for a while because sakurai is only going to give us the starting characters and then after the game is released, or a couple weeks before he will reveal the unlockable characters, hence why we havnt had one in so long. I wonder when the right day will be when he announnes it. December 3rd anyone? or december 25th which i doubt that would be biased to one reliogen so most likely not.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but I just really don't like the music, so today seemed pretty dull to me.

Top Bottom