• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash or Die 8: 10/11/09 Feat. CHADDD, CORNEL, MIKE G, LAMBCHOPS, KISMET2 & BIG LOU

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
Hey, sorry guys on the delay of posting the actual full results. I had to get some sleep. I worked 10am-11pm Friday and Saturday night then from 10am til 8pm for the tourney...my feet are killing me. Lastly sunday is usually family time for me...so I had to make it up to them today :-)

Either way here are the results...
Melee Singles
1. Chopz
2. Xif
3. Rice
4. Chaddd
5. Fullmetal
5. Soft
7. Ryet
7. Prac
9. Bloshi
9. Archiac
9. C
9. BBQ
13. PB&J
13. Billy
13. Kosime
13. Kismet2
17. SSBM
17. Big Lou
17. Tubes
25. Eugenio

Melee Doubles
1. Jr. Bacon
2. We don't qualify for flood insurace
3. The boys are back in town
4. America Kicks A**
5. If it ain't Rice its Carter
5. We caught them all
7. Something Uncreative
7. What's your name again
9. The Best

Brawl Singles
1. Big Lou
2. Elevate8
3. Scatt
4. Kismet2
5. Razzle Dazzle
5. Billy
7. Devin
7. Neo X
9. Bo

Brawl Doubles
1. Rayku & Big Lou
2. Foward Tilt & Lightning Kicks
3. Whatever U want it to be
4. Devin & Bo
5. The A Team

Thanks to everyone for coming and supporting Smash or Die. We will be having a smashfest in December and plan to have Smash or Die 9 early 2010. Hope to see you guys again...

bigman40

Smash Master
Thanks to everyone for coming and supporting Smash or Die. We will be having a smashfest in December and plan to have Smash or Die 9 early 2010. Hope to see you guys again...
Please make it a little more convenient for people that have to travel far and have it on Saturdays if you choose to make another.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Please make it a little more convenient for people that have to travel far and have it on Saturdays if you choose to make another.
not every tourney can cater to people who travel far, unfortunately. It is what it is :(

personally, sundays are really the only days I can usually guarantee my attendance at a tourney so it works out perfectly for me

also, I imagine that it's the only day they can shut down shop for the venue's usual business of choice.

I'm all about keeping SoD alive ^_^

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Razzle Mo****in Dazzle. lol
Not that it matters butttt.
1. Big Lou (Luig,Snake,Marth)
2. Elevate8 (ZSS,Dedede,Ice Climbers
3. Scatt (Snake,Luigi)
4. Kismet2 (Falco,Falco?)
5. Razzle Dazzle (Dedede)
5. Billy (Forward Tilt/Shiek)

bigman40

Smash Master
not every tourney can cater to people who travel far, unfortunately. It is what it is :(

personally, sundays are really the only days I can usually guarantee my attendance at a tourney so it works out perfectly for me

also, I imagine that it's the only day they can shut down shop for the venue's usual business of choice.

I'm all about keeping SoD alive ^_^
True, but I also heard that carter came to this and left before singles started cause he needed to be back here. I would've came if I didn't need to worry about my classes. It's just those little inconveniences that come up when people want to show up to some good tourneys. :(

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
yeah it sucks...but that's what inconveniences are. Some people are screwed, like you and Carter, while some are lucky, like me.

I get screwed out of Waba events for the most part because they're on Saturdays and I gotta manage my business on Saturday...but oh well.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Scatz, this is the only tournament series I've seen consistently run on a Sunday. That's a little bit of a trait about the Smash or Die series. They've all been relatively successful (obviously, because this last one was SoD 8), and they've always been on Sunday.

bigman40

Smash Master
Scatz, this is the only tournament series I've seen consistently run on a Sunday. That's a little bit of a trait about the Smash or Die series. They've all been relatively successful (obviously, because this last one was SoD 8), and they've always been on Sunday.
Yeah. I guess that's just me being selfish since I want to get back with GA's scene so I can have some kind of fun.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Yeah. I guess that's just me being selfish since I want to get back with GA's scene so I can have some kind of fun.
It's all gravy, dude. There are plenty of tournaments every Saturday, although you might have to travel a short distance to get to them. I'm about an hour from every tournament I go to :/

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I gotta admit, I don't deserve my 9th place spot. I got a bye, then played against Tubes, then I played against Full Metal and lost, and then I think I got another bye (read: I think). Then I played against Soft and lost.

:/

Eugenio

Smash Lord
SHOUT OUTS!!!

HEY!!

Josh/Soft - I promise from this day fourth that I will do everything in my power to destroy you and make you feel like garbage... in smash:mad: so prepare to get *****

Cornel - Ok f*ck our deal I'm NOT falcon dittoing you on FD in tournament anymore. Especially since my falcon is pretty much just a rip off of your falcon.

Chad - DON'T get discouraged you're the truth, no lie.

Marty - It's always a good time with you man, good to see ya.

Toasty - We still never played 1 on 1 man! Good to see ya though.

Xif -I had idea you were coming. I would have put you're name in the title. Good seein' ya.

Chops - Naked woman

BBQ - Good games man. I can sense your marth is going to become something serious pretty soon. Just keep playing;)

I am Blue - Fun matches man. Keep trying to find college park melee players they're there somewhere.

Dash Dance Dan - fun playin' you man, nice bowser.

Rice - lol, wth were you doin there:confused:

PB&J - You're hilarious to me man, you have no idea:laugh:

Carter - owned

Fullmetal - owned

Sleepyk - *ussy

112 - p*ssy

Merc - pu*sy

Mike G - *****

Dogy - sambo

I got destroyed this time but never again. NEVER!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Oh and really sorry about the random brackets guys, but no one is more sorry than I.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
Well, Smash or Die will always be on Sundays unless something drastically happens for us to change (like suggestions from potential sponserships...**fingers crossed**). As Toasty said its mainly due to the availability of the venue also after doing 7 tourneys on Sundays its kind of a tradition now...

I tried uploading the brackets onto the forums before and failed time and time again...so unfortunately I can only type up the placing, sorry...

Last but most important
Smash or Die will always be set at random seeding. I do understand some peoples frustration (and we have had this arguement before on these boards), but we stand by our decision on making Smash or Die tournaments COMPLETELY fair to all that enter being if its a new guy to the scene or a vet of the community and/or game. Gamers Xperience will always stand for fairness and fun.

With that being said...I do apologize for the misunderstanding. I did assume that everyone knew that is was always set to random (since Smash or Die 3). I will assure that we post that within the rules/settings for now on so there is no confunsion in the future.

S0FT

Smash Ace
Eugene really good to see you man!! Its been wayyyy to long.

Good matches everyone.

Prac get *****...

Fullmetal we will get em next time.

Good stuff Chaddd!!

Toooaaasstty! Good to see you as always...

Rice is pretty awesome.

thx for showing up mike g :..( and tong :..(
<3

Carter you're still really good man!
............^Fir all u grammer natzis

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I tried uploading the brackets onto the forums before and failed time and time again...so unfortunately I can only type up the placing, sorry...

Last but most important
Smash or Die will always be set at random seeding. I do understand some peoples frustration (and we have had this arguement before on these boards), but we stand by our decision on making Smash or Die tournaments COMPLETELY fair to all that enter being if its a new guy to the scene or a vet of the community and/or game. Gamers Xperience will always stand for fairness and fun.

With that being said...I do apologize for the misunderstanding. I did assume that everyone knew that is was always set to random (since Smash or Die 3). I will assure that we post that within the rules/settings for now on so there is no confunsion in the future.
1) use tio.
upload to allisbrawl.com
use their imagehost.

2)random seeding, while "fair", creates anomalies in placing.
this is particularly difficult for a state as a community who wants to create an accurate power rankings list.
if yipes and justin wong had to play first round at a MVC2 tournament and yipes proceeded to wipe out the loser's bracket, knocking out many other top level players who might have also gotten bracket *****, the results would be very skewed. sanford in 2nd to last because he lost to duc and yipes early on? sanford is terrible!?
from these results, you're telling me that i can assume that:
Archaic (Dsamoan... who just started playing melee again a few weeks ago) is as good as cornel (who is clearly one of our state's best players)?
and cornel, who has a positive record against s0ft, is now clearly worse than he is?
eugene of course is clearly the worst player in GA now.
I played smash with biglou, bbq, and archaic the week before the tournament, and biglou and bbq are quite clearly atm better than archaic. biglou also usually beats bbq. apparently they both entered the hyperbolic time chamber or something because they both placed much higher than biglou. i'll assume he's terrible now.

it is quite clear from these results that the face of GA smash has obviously changed and we must radically restructure our opinions of good players regardless of bracket issues. archaic and bbq should be placed in the PR above cornel because he only got 9th. he only had to play rice i mean come on that's totally fair wofl

it also causes players from the same region to play each other, which is something you generally want to avoid. if i traveled to a tournament just to have to play my neighbors who i brought with me, what would be the point in traveling to the tournament? i could have just went to a smashfest some other time.
this happened at my first SoD, SoD3. i had to play my friend who came with me in loser's bracket. it sucked.

personally i think it's great that you acknowledge the issue with the way you run your tournaments then choose to ignore it with justifications.
no offense and no anger, it's just a problem.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
brackets should never ever ever ever be random seed just letting u know for w/e reason u have its just not how competiotion works and no it doesnt make it convienien t for anyone its the good players that consistently wanna come to tourneys u wanna accomodate the community that attends all the time not the random players. in the other states random seed is laughable that doesnt exist in other competitive states. but w/e its up to the community to stand up to it lol idc cuz im moving soon anyway

SleepyK

you decided on bronx, eh?
and wofl @ dan's post.
tbh if you really want the tournament to be "fair" you should just have everyone choose random characters while playing on random stages with random items on in super sudden death, too. that's as fair as it gets since everybody's fate is decided on a random number generator, not player skill!
hooray!
brawl!

SleepyK

i'm sorry, i should have said that everyone should just run a random number generator and whoever has the closest number to the tournament host wins. then it goes in numerical order! the fairest tournament ever.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
Well, we listen to your comments and were looking over possible options that could help to change the random seeding. We needed a concrete way of setting it before completely tossing out the random seeding setup. So I searched and also asked around about OFFICIAL GA RANKINGS. I was unable to find any and I was also unable to get more info on it.

Here is the question...if there is no official ranking system or a system to determine the rankings then what are we suppose to go by, peoples opinion (not in anyway trying to be smart just a honest question)???

SleepyK

ga's trying to make a PR, really, but we suck at it.
also usually you just make sure the top level players aren't too close in the bracket and regional players aren't either. just take down locations, it's an option in tio.
really the bracket should be run by a person who is knowledgeable about the community and the players.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
the majority of tournament goers [broad generalization here] enter in both doubles AND singles...if there is no prior knowledge on the TO's part about the skill of the contenders relative to each other, that is the only concrete measure that he has to properly seed.

Obviously there are other major seeding issues, like location/crew/etc.

The only real solution, albeit one with a bunch of gray areas, is to have someone who's IN the scene that you can trust to give impartial and sound advice for seeding.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately that's still going off someones word and not a technical ranking. What about the people that wish to play or that could even be good at the game but don't post on these boards or wish to be apart of these boards....

Basically, you have to look at it from business point of view. We don't just advertise the tournament on this board and only allow the board members. We advertise it on our site, facebook, newsletters, twitter, and tons of other sources. How would it look for us to tell someone that is not apart of the community that they are placed in the bracket where they are because "john doe" ranks the players this way?

I just here to either find a solution and to help some understand our (Gamers Xperience) point of view.

tubes

Smash Ace
Unfortunately that's still going off someones word and not a technical ranking. What about the people that wish to play or that could even be good at the game but don't post on these boards or wish to be apart of these boards....

Basically, you have to look at it from business point of view. We don't just advertise the tournament on this board and only allow the board members. We advertise it on our site, facebook, newsletters, twitter, and tons of other sources. How would it look for us to tell someone that is not apart of the community that they are placed in the bracket where they are because "john doe" ranks the players this way?

I just here to either find a solution and to help some understand our (Gamers Xperience) point of view.
It's not like your seeding to intentionally bracket **** all the scrubs and make sure Smashboardians can most efficiently suck each others *****. Just make sure Grand Finals isn't "Super melee pro X, after defeating all worthy opponents in the first few rounds, vs. some scrub" and Bob doesn't play Bob's neighbor first round. A tournament will be much more interesting if it plays out like a Karate Kid movie.

Also, sure occasionally someone not part of the community with the capability to be good comes along. However, if he cares about the game at all then more than likely he's gonna become part of the community within a few weeks of attending a tourney anyway.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i still am a fan of seeding by doubles and region

separate by doubles placing
then at sign up, ask the people who they're here with and separate them if at all possible

does not use any "john doe" type seeding, just results and each person's input on who they regularly play with

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
It's not like your seeding to intentionally bracket **** all the scrubs and make sure Smashboardians can most efficiently suck each others *****. Just make sure Grand Finals isn't "Super melee pro X, after defeating all worthy opponents in the first few rounds, vs. some scrub" and Bob doesn't play Bob's neighbor first round. A tournament will be much more interesting if it plays out like a Karate Kid movie.
Well if you seed according to a non-official ranking system then yes you are "bracket ******." Also yes, movie wise, it is nice to see the top people battle it out. If they are the top people then they will make it to the finals. But you are also saying like championship games are never blowouts, like its always between the top people. As if the SuperBowl has never been a blowout, the NBA Finals never had a sweep, the MLB never had a sweep. The "best" team don't always make it to the end. The one big difference in professional sports is that there is a season and the bracket is made off of your record for that season. In smash (at the moment) there is no record to go off of, ya know...

Xif to answer your question...yes, at this tourney you had 2 or 3 that don't post get in the tourney. At the last one you had about 7-8 enter the tourney. I even entered the last one to contribute to the pot.

Don't get me wrong I do understand what you guys are saying but as a business I can't cater to one community if its not a tourney for JUST that one community. Now if we did a tournament for just the smashboards community then what everyone is suggesting would make sense and we could do it.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
the record you go off is
doubles placing

and people's declaration of region

i think is ok.

Top Bottom