• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH! Minnesota Results

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, thanks for coming to the first SMASH! Minnesota tournament. Despite the onset of some tricky weather, causing some people to drop out at the last second, we absolutely had a really successful tournament. We finished way early and got to have lots of friendlies and money matches. P:M was also the bomb, so shoutouts to monk and toast! We will definitely do this again in the future, hopefully with better hours and nicer weather so more people come. Spread the word, and congrats to our winners!

Melee Doubles

$10 entrance fee per team, $10 pot bonus

1: Triple Sanchaz (RRR + sanchaz) ($42.00)
2: Architects and Blueprints (Amanze + Bluezaft) ($18.00)
3: Soul Food (Wake + Ender) ($10.00)
4: Pony Attack (Deepak + GNG DonP)
5: Toasted Monk (standardtoaster + MonkUnit)
5: Friendship is Magic (Ocho + GNG Flux Mander)

[COLLAPSE="Bracket image:"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Melee Singles

$5 entrance fee, $40 pot bonus

1: Bluezaft ($64.00) :marthmelee::jigglypuffmelee:
2: Wake ($29.00) :peachmelee:
3: sanchaz ($15.00) :foxmelee::falconmelee::pikachumelee::sheikmelee:
4: Amanze ($7.00) :samusmelee::marthmelee::foxmelee:
5: RRR ($3.00) :kirbymelee:
5: GNG Flux Mander ($3.00) :foxmelee::falcomelee:
7: GNG DonP :dkmelee::falcomelee:
7: Deepak :foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee::sheikmelee:
9: MonstorMash :samusmelee:
9: kevo :marthmelee::pikachumelee:
9: Ocho :foxmelee:
9: King Nappy IV :sheikmelee:
13: Monk :samusmelee:
13: Smashbastid :nessmelee:
13: standardtoaster :sheikmelee::marthmelee:
13: Ender :ganonmelee:

Top 3 players, 7 different characters. Swag.

[COLLAPSE="Bracket image:"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Videos
Singles Grand Finals
Singles Losers Finals

Doubles will have to take a bit, the video and audio files are all over the place lol

Wake

Smash Master
Shout outs:

Bluezaft- Welp... you owned me! I'll hopefully learn something from our sets and all of that good stuff. I hope you show up to something again so I can get a rematch! :)

Sanchaz- Glad to finally play against you! It was fun! Well get our rematch soon I'm sure. Also... tell those WI Peaches to head over to MN sometime!

Amanze- Fun Matches. I still think your Samus is better than your Marth, at least against me.

Randall- We have played at like 5 tournaments in a row now :p It's always my scariest match. Get ready for next time!

Flux- We always play. :/ You coulda had me in doubles... too bad! Maybe next time ;)

Deepak- I didn't see any of your Melee games... good job owning in P:M... that Mario :)

Kevo- First round... all the time :) Awesome tourney and awesome host too!

Nappy- Hey Snappy... we didn't MM :awesome: Get that #1 spot in the Brawl PR.

Monk and ToasterYeah I'm shouting you both out... I'm lazy :p Nice job with the set ups, P:M and doubles.

Ender- We owned doubles! I honestly didn't think we'd do so well!

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Wake - We didn't play at all again. lol

Kevo - fun tourney. Marth vs Sheik seems pretty freeee

Deepak - I will beat your mario some day. >.>

Ender - I like your ganon in PM.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo shoutouts to everyone I played here, it was a blast! sorry I didn't enter the tourney, was low on $

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
DonP - so much fun in our friendlies and set in PM
Deepak - great seeing you play PM again. that mario just keeps on winning.
Sanchaz(or was it Flux) / DonP - thanks for discussing PM with me
Smash Bastid / Melee43ver - thank you so much for playing Melty Blood Act Cadenza with me. i was surprised to see any people there that would play melty. i'll make sure to send you melty ASAP.
Strong Bad - great seeing you there. keep repping that DK =D

EDIT: And thank you to whoever helped carry out all of the setups ST and I brought!! LOL

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Still got it.

It was great seeing you guys again/meeting you guys. Kevin, you host a heck of a tournament, really awesome job.

I'll try not to wait a year again to come to the next event.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
sanchaz - Ketchup johns. :p It was fun housing you. Glad you liked the Chinese buffet we have lol.

Wake - I swear next time I'm paired with you in the first round, I'm going to move the bracket around. It's seeded, so I was gonna get either you or sanchaz or Deepak anyway. Great job beating sanchaz.

Ender - Yoda hype. I don't care what people say, next time we're gonna try Yoda commentary again xD. Good job in doubles; Wake didn't have to carry your Ganon at all!

Bluezaft - Congrats on winning, it was a great set! Check it out on YouTube to relive your glory ;). Sorry about doubles commentary (I'm still looking for the audio and video fragments) we'll try to be quieter next time.

Toast - Thanks for bringing those setups and playing P:M with me! Toast, I am so mad I choked in that Melee $M. I am soooooo bad against Shiek. Your Zelda in P:M is free, though. ;)

Monk - The 9001 setups you two bought made the tournament run SO WELL. Good stuff, guys.

Amanze - Glad we could finish in time for you. Good stuff in doubles. :)

RRR - Dat Kirby, arrrgghhh. Second tourney in a row I got knocked out by you :p

Deepak - That Mario, arrrgghhh. 4 stocked for the first time in P:M. I wasn't focusing but no johns :p. Glad I managed to be competitive in game 2.

MonstorMash - First pay tourney? Good show. You're still not legit though. ;)

Ocho - Come smash at my place more often!

Smashbastid - It was really fun playing you. I hope to see you around! Your Ness is solid considering how new a player you are. I was choking hard in my set against you and you were giving me a hard time. Friendlies were a lot less stressful and more fun. :) PM me your contact info and we'll smash sometime.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
It was originally going to be split 3 ways, but Wake said to keep the money he would have gotten. So instead, we decided to split it 60/40.

Project M Tourney results:

1. Deepak ($10.00) :mariomelee:
2. GNG Don P ($6.00) :zssbrawl: / :charizardbrawl:
3. Wake :marthmelee: / :wariobrawl:
4. Ender :ganonmelee:
5. Toast :zeldamelee: / :sheikmelee:
5. Monk :charizardbrawl:
7. Kevo :marthmelee:
7. GNG Flux Mander (Had to leave)

[collapse="bracket image"]
[/collapse]

I will have the videos up some time within the next few days.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Shout outs:

Bluezaft- Welp... you owned me! I'll hopefully learn something from our sets and all of that good stuff. I hope you show up to something again so I can get a rematch! :)
I know a few things you can do in the future to kick my ***.

-Good turnip work can make things really difficult for Marth. But if I'm too close to you, I'll just let you pull the turnip, and then punish you before you can throw it. For edgeguarding, DoH does this thing where he floats to the edge, drops the turnip, and then falls onto the ledge. It's annoying!

-Whenever Marth is in the air, get under him and dash attack. Marth can't get through it. A lot of times I would f-air you on the way down, and you shouldn't be giving me the space to do that.

-I think a lot of it is just learning Marth's rhythm. Wavedashing back or spot-dodging as Marth runs up to you is good, since Marth's ground attacks are laggy and you can punish.

You can watch DoH do mean things to me at a recent tournament. He does especially well in GFs.

WF
GF

So now I expect you to 4-stock me in tournament next time.

Wake

Smash Master
I know a few things you can do in the future to kick my ***.

-Good turnip work can make things really difficult for Marth. But if I'm too close to you, I'll just let you pull the turnip, and then punish you before you can throw it. For edgeguarding, DoH does this thing where he floats to the edge, drops the turnip, and then falls onto the ledge. It's annoying!

-Whenever Marth is in the air, get under him and dash attack. Marth can't get through it. A lot of times I would f-air you on the way down, and you shouldn't be giving me the space to do that.

-I think a lot of it is just learning Marth's rhythm. Wavedashing back or spot-dodging as Marth runs up to you is good, since Marth's ground attacks are laggy and you can punish.

You can watch DoH do mean things to me at a recent tournament. He does especially well in GFs.

WF
GF

So now I expect you to 4-stock me in tournament next time.
Thanks! I'll be sure to watch these, and put some of those tips into action.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'm glad my years of making you grumble about Peach have yet again come to your aid ;)

Quaz

Smash Master
I also wanna mention wake that if Marth happens to grab the ledge, punish anything he does off the edge with your shield.

I dont think you can combo marth much <.< at least I can't.. he usually just fairs out of it (Tink actually manages to counter when I try to go for that extra hit, annoying!) so I tend to either use the time that marth is in the air to pull a turnip, or just go for the dash attack as he's landing. Just be sure not to make yourself look so obvious! I like to try faking him out

I use my shield a lot in this match up, and do a lot of oos stuff. I love trying to bait his grab or shffls because I can just wavedash back and dash attack. Holding a turnip while shielding is good to do too because you can throw out of shield. You can punish fsmash easily with your shield.. but a good marth isnt just gonna throw em out there.

Wake

Smash Master
I'm glad my years of making you grumble about Peach have yet again come to your aid ;)
Save me from Bluezaft! :p

I also wanna mention wake that if Marth happens to grab the ledge, punish anything he does off the edge with your shield.

I dont think you can combo marth much <.< at least I can't.. he usually just fairs out of it (Tink actually manages to counter when I try to go for that extra hit, annoying!) so I tend to either use the time that marth is in the air to pull a turnip, or just go for the dash attack as he's landing. Just be sure not to make yourself look so obvious! I like to try faking him out

I use my shield a lot in this match up, and do a lot of oos stuff. I love trying to bait his grab or shffls because I can just wavedash back and dash attack. Holding a turnip while shielding is good to do too because you can throw out of shield. You can punish fsmash easily with your shield.. but a good marth isnt just gonna throw em out there.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I won't be so obvious next time! :)

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Wow, my Marth was derping HARD against you, toast. Wait till next time, I'm not letting you off the hook that easy.

gg, Deepak. Sorry I didn't really go my all. Next time I'm gonna take a game off the Mario. xD

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

After years of lurking, made an account specifically to ask: Where was this, and where and when will another one be? That first Teh Pwn Gaming tournament was amazing, and they seem to have given them up, so if there's Smash going on in the Twin Cities area I want to know about it.

Now I'm all excitable.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

After years of lurking, made an account specifically to ask: Where was this, and where and when will another one be? That first Teh Pwn Gaming tournament was amazing, and they seem to have given them up, so if there's Smash going on in the Twin Cities area I want to know about it.

Now I'm all excitable.
Minnesota organizes most of our smash stuff on this website.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/MNSmash/index.php?

you have to make an account there to see most of the boards (including the ones where we talk about tournies.) So ya, you should make an account there and keep an eye on "Local MN Tournies". there has been a series of tournies in the Games and Go at the roseville mall which you porbably don't know about..

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

even if you can't actually combo him you can condition him to fair out of combos, then bait it out, then punish the fair with a uair from underneath or nair.
mixups broooooooo

sanchaz

Smash Lord
1: Bluezaft ($64.00) good ****, I underestimated you when I played ya and it cost me BIG, I learned my lesson, I won't do it again. Good luck in grad school, I'll seeing ya later in grad school soon hopefully.
2: Wake ($29.00) haha, yeah. I was having a blast even if I lost. WE NEED YOU TO TRAVEL TO WISCONSIN/CHICAGO SOMETIME, we can have our own little "wake player fund" next year, but only if your willing to come to madison.
3: sanchaz ($15.00) LOSER!
4: Amanze ($7.00) THAT SET WAS HYPED, there were tons of dbz moments in their were it could of gone either way, it reminds me why tournaments are so thrilling and heart pounding.
5: RRR ($3.00) DUDE, Ithought you loved rainbow cruise because of that whole kirby grab kill on top. whatever, best teammate ever!!!
5: GNG Flux Mander ($3.00) dude, I wanted to play you, :(. next time
7: GNG DonP Why don't you just main dk? You got me scared ****less when I saw you picked him, and I had no fricken clue what was going on!
7: Deepak I'll mm that mario with my ike any day, $5mm?
9: MonstorMash :(
9: kevo thx for the housing, I wouldn't of come if I hadn't gotten any sleep. McDONALDS IS TOO good, but only if they have ketchup
9: Ocho most techinical fox ever, I wonder if you could beat sync in a mm?
9: King Nappy IV :(

chexr and zeus: my zero is broken. I expect to have you guys to fix his health bar, it never decreases for some reason.

I HAD A FRICKEN BLAST. I'LL come again if there is umvc3 and melee, you guys should COMBINE THEM. AND MORE ENTRYS or RAISE THE ENTRANCE fee. It makes bracket that much more nervebreaking and encourages out of state attendance!

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone find a black/dark grey plaid hipster looking jacket @ the venue? left it there :/
Yes I have it. How do you want it back?

I also found a brand new copy of Brawl, with the receipt still in there. Is anyone missing it?

Top Bottom