• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash in the Box

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Smash in the Box
Saturday, May 12th
Jamaica Plain, MA
If you need to contact either myself or the venue call one of these numbers:

Brain Box - 617-939-9908

MattDotCellPhone - 617-347-9686
Texting preferred

Pools will be run strictly for seeding! Those who make it out will be placed in a Pro Bracket. Those who do not will be automatically entered into an Amateur Bracket.

There is no need for TVs. Please bring GameCubes.

383a centre Street
Jamaica Plain, MA

Parking is to be found on the street and there is no payment needed.
This venue is down the street from the Jackson Square MBTA station on the Orange Line.

SCHEDULE

11:00am - Store Opens
11:30am - Sign ups for Melee Doubles
1pm - Melee Doubles sign ups end and seeding begins
1:30pm - Melee Doubles Starts
2pm - Melee Singles sign ups
3:30pm - Melee Singles sign ups end, and seeding begins
4pm - Melee Singles starts
11:00 PM - Get out

Schedule is here as a guideline, and subject to change at the event itself

ENTRY FEE AND PRIZES:

Venue - $5
Singles - $10 per entrant
Doubles - $10 per team / $5 per person
Prize Pool for doubles - 1st/2nd/3rd - 55%/30%/15%
Prize Pool for Pro bracket - 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/5th - 48%/22%/14%/8%/4%
Prize Pool for Amateur bracket - 1st/2nd/3rd - 60%/30%/10%
Amateur bracket will be paid out using 15% of the total pot money, pro bracket will be paid out using 85%

STAGE LIST
Singles

Starters | Counterpicks
Final Destination|Brinstar
Battlefield|Kongo Jungle 64
Yoshi's Story|Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland 64|Rainbow Cruise
Fountain of Dreams|

Doubles
Starters | Counterpicks
Final Destination|Rainbow Cruise
Battlefield|Kongo Jungle 64
Yoshi's Story|Brinstar
Dreamland 64|
Pokemon Stadium|
Stage strike is 1 - 2 - 1 and determined by port priority.​

MELEE RULESET
- Matches are best out of 3 with advanced slob picks and dave's stupid rule (explained below). Losers Finals, and Winners Finals are best out of 5, with Grand Finals being best out of 7.

Advanced Slob Picks:
The first game in a set is double-blind, and the stage is random (using the random stages listed in the stage selection section).

The following applies to any game in a set played after the first:
The loser of the previous game declares the stage to be used, using any stage that isn't banned. The winner of the previous game then chooses his character. Lastly, the loser of the previous game chooses his character, and the game can start.

- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.

- All games are played with 4 stock, 8 minutes, and no items. Any tie that occurs is settled by comparing stocks remaining (More stocks = win). If there is a tie remaining after comparing stock, compare damage % (Less damage % = win). If a tie remains after comparing stocks and damage %, play out sudden death.

- Before any stage is selected both players may agree to play on a specific stage or to not play on one of the random stages. (If both players don't like Battlefield, then you can agree that Battlefield will not be played if it comes up as the random stage)

Additional Rules:

• For teams play: team attack is on, and stealing stock is allowed.

• Players may have a coach that can give advice to a player for one minute in-between games. As soon as the stage is declared, the coach must not say anything to the player (in terms of advice) until the match ends.

• Glitches that freeze a character, freeze the game, or simply make the game unfinishable are banned and using them will result in losing the entire set.

Mages DQ Rule:
• • • 2 Minutes Late – Warning
• • • 4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
• • • 6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

• Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.

• Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.

• Money Matches and friendlies: Keep in mind tournament games take priority over you. Try to get them out of the way during warm-up time. Once the tournament has progressed specific setups will be open for friendlies and money matches.

• If you leave during the tournament please sign out with the host.

• PLEASE watch the amount of profanity in the air. This store is aiming to be a hub for fighting games in Boston, though that does not mean you should start cursing at every opportunity. Please show restraint and moderation. Do your best to watch yourself, we don't want to give the smash community a bad name.

Please bring gamecubes

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
looks like i can take the orange-line after my bus to Boston, looks good. I'm kinda jealous that the Boston scene is soo active, meanwhile in Springfield i have to force people to come for practice sessions

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm just lucky. The store already has a solid amount of CRTs so there's no point in people bringing any.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
I want to ttry to make this one, but like last boston tourney i went to imma need to stay sat nigth so i can take the bus sunday morning. If anybody volunteers just PM. If not its cool i'll be going to Mass Madness

St. Viers

Smash Champion
A tournement that's accessible to me?! Craziness--even if I don't enter I'll try and be there (watches schedule get full over the course of the week).

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Doubles will happen if enough people enter.

As it says, schedule is subject to change at the event itself.

xFats

Smash Apprentice
BRING CUBE GAMES. PLZ. we have a solid 8 crts atm, may have more but this should be enuff rite?

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
this is gonna be hype imma do some $2 MM's, i want revenge from the tourney at MIT

List of $2 MM's

KDJ
KevinM
Banks
thorn
Solar
Mafia
Diesel
Matt.Zeb
HaelyM
ycz

If i missed anybody please let me know ;)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Gonzales if I catch you doing money matches that interfere with tournament matches I will reset the cube regardless of how far along you are (okay, last-stock last-match is an exception). I don't want that holding up any part of the tournament like it did at MITS.

^This goes for anyone.

slox please come to it. if the weather isn't cruddy we may end up grilling outside too :D

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
well thats funny cause a lot of times i see people doing "friendly's" during the tournament. I expect the same treatment for anybody doing casuals if you want to run the tourney that strict.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I don't see why you'd get defensive. I treat friendlies the same way, although it's easier to ask people to get up and stop playing when there is not money on the line.

Just don't money match during tournament (pools or bracket)

It's also not strict.
Not wanting your tournament to get held up by people money matching when they shouldn't be =/= strict.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
well its because i've seen some a lot of tourneys being run pretty lax, so if you want to run the tourney ASAP and get it done as soon as possible i want the same treatment for everyone. Be it for a "pro" player or a regular guy like me. I've seen some ****ed up things in the melee scene lately and i want to make sure everyone is treated with the same respect they deserve as competitors

S l o X

Smash Champion
I have no way of getting up there and no one else in CT seems interested. I also only have 25$ to my name. /:

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
See you in the morning guys!

If you need to get in contact with me remember my number is in the first post so give me a call.

Also there's some amazing food in the area, even a sub place nearby that is comparable to the food truck (R U Hungry?) near Rutgers!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
So Singles Results:
1. KDJ ($73)
2. Mafia ($45ish?)
3. Kevin M ($22)
4. Matt.Zeb

Maf (Peach) sent KDJ (Marth) to losers 2-0, but KDJ paid him back in Grand Finals (3-0, 3-0) as shiek, vs Maf's Peach, Falco, Fox, and Falcon. Crazy games.

Shout Outs:

Matt.Zeb: thanks for running the tourney, next time I'll come with money! Also, good games, even if you got a bit visibly frustrated at the end of the tourney

xFatz: thank you for hosting this--next time I'll totally give y'all a donation to make up for being too broke this time to pay the venue >_<

Kevin M: Damn you tall. great to see you again.

Dan: You're too crafty man--also, too fun to watch

Gonzales: Next time I'll step it up and beat you: $2 MM next time I see you?

Hailey M: didn't see you play, but nice to see you, even if you have no clue who I am (hobo looking dude in orange shirt)

Elen: nice seeing you again!

Arc: nice seeing you too--we still need that cumulative ping pong, pool, melee money match!

All the other people I ran into but am terrible with names: Nice to meet y'all. Gotta step up my game, play more technical and smart.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
So Singles Results:
1. KDJ ($73)
2. Mafia ($45ish?)
3. Kevin M ($22)
4. Matt.Zeb

Maf (Peach) sent KDJ (Marth) to losers 2-0, but KDJ paid him back in Grand Finals (3-0, 3-0) as shiek, vs Maf's Peach, Falco, Fox, and Falcon. Crazy games
:O mafia is getting mad legit.. needs to stick w peach since hes pullin some nice upsets wit her

making dj go all try hard with dat sheik

mattdotzeblin <3

Top Bottom