• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash in Boston, MA! It's the summer so if you're hosting advertise here! Update 6/12

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
We're not taking any ppl from you at all trust me, all ppl we get are innercity kids who would have no way to get to GU anyways.
That may be true but venue's shouldn't have to compete over one another. It's about showing support to all venue's and not monopolizing certain days of the week. I don't think alittle change would hurt anybody.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Is there anyway possible to make this every other week? I would like more players to start showing up to the GU fight nights on Friday's and if your ok with that let me know. Let's show some support to the other venue's!
does anyone actually come to this for brawl? I came last week and there was NO ONE :/ I live too far away to come weekly but I'd try to come somewhat regularly if people actually showed up

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
does anyone actually come to this for brawl? I came last week and there was NO ONE :/ I live too far away to come weekly but I'd try to come somewhat regularly if people actually showed up
This is one of the reasons why I would like to share Friday's, GU was orignally the one who started the fight night and then after it closed down this thread popped up. I can understand wanting to set up a new venue because of the old GU closing down but when it comes up and the organizer asking to share certain days of the month shouldn't be a problem. Tuesday's are a problem because of school the next day but when Friday's seem like it works out for everyone...why can't it be shared with the original organizer that started it all?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
This thread may have popped up after GU went down, but Smash Fridays have being a BU tradition for a long time, wayy before I even attended BU, most likely before the establishment of GU and Fight Nights. We made this thread in hope of drawing in other smashers from the Boston area, which we have, so it has nothing to do with GU at all.

Also, we are not a gaming venue, this is just a few college kids setting up Smash at our recreation room and inviting ppl to come play at a public place for free if they want to. I do not think you have the right nor a good argument to stop us from doing that.

tl;dr no u

ironically, we may not have smash fridays next week according to Raeef, but I'm going to check to make sure that that is the case with no alternatives before its officially cancelled.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
This thread may have popped up after GU went down, but Smash Fridays have being a BU tradition for a long time, wayy before I even attended BU, most likely before the establishment of GU and Fight Nights. We made this thread in hope of drawing in other smashers from the Boston area, which we have, so it has nothing to do with GU at all.

Also, we are not a gaming venue, this is just a few college kids setting up Smash at our recreation room and inviting ppl to come play at a public place for free if they want to. I do not think you have the right nor a good argument to stop us from doing that.

tl;dr no u

ironically, we may not have smash fridays next week according to Raeef, but I'm going to check to make sure that that is the case with no alternatives before its officially cancelled.

I don't think just because you play smash at a school doesn't mean you aren't a gaming venue. You are getting together in a rec room and playing games so...wouldn't that turn the rec room into a gaming venue?

I am not asking you to stop your smash gathering's, I am asking you to share your time with the GU venue. I have been out of the smash scene and have recently come back to it but when I was asked to move my tourney's/smashfest's from the surrounding area's(CT,ME,MA,and RI players) they gladly moved their events with no issue and I also did the same when they asked me. I came back hoping to do the same with the MA community and it seems like no one is open to this. I don't think it is fair to say you only attract inner city players when you have this thread letting everybody know outside the Boston area to come to your smashfest, thus it leads to no one coming to my smashfests at GU. I was hoping to keep both venue's alive and not having to compete like a business, isn't that what the community would want? It's about support from the community and I hope that players are willing to give this a shot. If not then let me ask...what happened to this community?

Prawn

Smash Master
i agree with vigil you guys should really split up the days and make attempts to come to GU if at all possible, its a fantastic place and fight nights are sick

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I don't think just because you play smash at a school doesn't mean you aren't a gaming venue. You are getting together in a rec room and playing games so...wouldn't that turn the rec room into a gaming venue?

I am not asking you to stop your smash gathering's, I am asking you to share your time with the GU venue. I have been out of the smash scene and have recently come back to it but when I was asked to move my tourney's/smashfest's from the surrounding area's(CT,ME,MA,and RI players) they gladly moved their events with no issue and I also did the same when they asked me. I came back hoping to do the same with the MA community and it seems like no one is open to this. I don't think it is fair to say you only attract inner city players when you have this thread letting everybody know outside the Boston area to come to your smashfest, thus it leads to no one coming to my smashfests at GU. I was hoping to keep both venue's alive and not having to compete like a business, isn't that what the community would want? It's about support from the community and I hope that players are willing to give this a shot. If not then let me ask...what happened to this community?
A group playing Smash at school doesn't constitute a gaming venue in my book. DNA is a gaming venue since they require a venue fee and don't normally have free video games to play. BU smash fridays is a SGA sponsored club. They have a budget and a specific place to play in their sponsored college. The staff in the basement pretty much expect us every friday. Technically it's only called Smash Fridays cause most people play Smash, although there were 360 games available last time, haha.

It's no big deal to have 2 places hosting smasfests at once. I find it strange that Smash Fridays have been going on for about a year (?) and now you're asking us locals to change our schedule because no one is showing up to your smashfests at GU. From all the times I've showed up at Smash Fridays, I've noticed the main areas where smash players come from: MCP - 1 person, Northeastern ~ very rarely 1-2 people, Berklee - 2 people, Boston Latin - ~5, sometimes Fatal show up, the rest are BU students. I really don't think we are stealing people from you.

Also, this isn't a competition and this isn't a business. To reiterate, Smash Fridays is an open school club. Imma let you know straight up, I've seen the GU thread before this one popped up and although I still wanna check out GU one day, I wouldn't go weekly or every other week. One reason - money. I can john all I want cause lets face it, college isn't cheap and that debt racks up. I can walk to BU or I can get there paying once to get on the T (gotta love the timing. It starts when the high schoolers gets out, so there's too many people to charge haha). If you somehow convince Smash Fridays to stop, I will not go to GU (see: poor). I shouldn't speak for everyone else, but I think the only result of that would be killing off players in general, not a transfer of players.

This is a club of people within walking distance. When BU hosts their tourneys, they take into account other bigger tourney days too. I give my utmost respect to the BU organizers cause they answered my call for a convenient way to get to their smashfests. Until now, the only smashfests were on the outer edges of Boston, places that are more easily accessible by car. I remember posting on SWF and AiB if there was a place IN Boston and accessible by T. Well BU showed up, made me better, and made me more integrated into their community.

tl;dr
Smash Fridays is technically a general gaming club that is school sponsored and part of their college extracurricular activities.

The people that go to Smash Fridays are generally poor and are located within walking distance to BU.

If, hypothetically, Smash Fridays is every other friday, I, and maybe others, will not to GU anyway cause I'm/we're poor and it's less convenient.

Prawn

Smash Master
protip: ive hardly ever paid the GU fightnight fee(not that i would mention this to the GU staff, tho i give them money through purchase of drinks and such). and even when i have its 3 dollars, really not that much.

idk about schedling and whatever but maybe some of you people in boston who are "too poor" to attain a few bucks to get yourselves out to framingham and back should attend a fight night or hell even a mass madness :o the smash community is dieing in new england and idk why you all are standing around when you could be the next best player but never enter tournies or play many others to see :o

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Meh, much better things to do at college on the weekends than going to a smash tourney. Its just a game.

Prawn

Smash Master
Meh, much better things to do at college on the weekends than going to a smash tourney. Its just a game.
yea gotta make sure to get ur touhou high score up there :rolleyes:

also wouldn't want to miss a single minute of cosplaying.

oh lord why isnt my life as good as yumes?

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
A group playing Smash at school doesn't constitute a gaming venue in my book. DNA is a gaming venue since they require a venue fee and don't normally have free video games to play. BU smash fridays is a SGA sponsored club. They have a budget and a specific place to play in their sponsored college. The staff in the basement pretty much expect us every friday. Technically it's only called Smash Fridays cause most people play Smash, although there were 360 games available last time, haha.

It's no big deal to have 2 places hosting smasfests at once. I find it strange that Smash Fridays have been going on for about a year (?) and now you're asking us locals to change our schedule because no one is showing up to your smashfests at GU. From all the times I've showed up at Smash Fridays, I've noticed the main areas where smash players come from: MCP - 1 person, Northeastern ~ very rarely 1-2 people, Berklee - 2 people, Boston Latin - ~5, sometimes Fatal show up, the rest are BU students. I really don't think we are stealing people from you.

Also, this isn't a competition and this isn't a business. To reiterate, Smash Fridays is an open school club. Imma let you know straight up, I've seen the GU thread before this one popped up and although I still wanna check out GU one day, I wouldn't go weekly or every other week. One reason - money. I can john all I want cause lets face it, college isn't cheap and that debt racks up. I can walk to BU or I can get there paying once to get on the T (gotta love the timing. It starts when the high schoolers gets out, so there's too many people to charge haha). If you somehow convince Smash Fridays to stop, I will not go to GU (see: poor). I shouldn't speak for everyone else, but I think the only result of that would be killing off players in general, not a transfer of players.

This is a club of people within walking distance. When BU hosts their tourneys, they take into account other bigger tourney days too. I give my utmost respect to the BU organizers cause they answered my call for a convenient way to get to their smashfests. Until now, the only smashfests were on the outer edges of Boston, places that are more easily accessible by car. I remember posting on SWF and AiB if there was a place IN Boston and accessible by T. Well BU showed up, made me better, and made me more integrated into their community.

tl;dr
Smash Fridays is technically a general gaming club that is school sponsored and part of their college extracurricular activities.

The people that go to Smash Fridays are generally poor and are located within walking distance to BU.

If, hypothetically, Smash Fridays is every other friday, I, and maybe others, will not to GU anyway cause I'm/we're poor and it's less convenient.
The definition of venue off of dictionary.com.

1. law
a. the place in which a cause of action arises
b. the place fixed for the trial of a cause
c. the locality from which the jurors must be summoned to try a particular cause
2. a meeting place
3. any place where an organized gathering, such as a rock concert or public meeting, is held
4. chiefly ( US ) a position in an argument

Here's the link

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/venue

This is definition that I am going by and it doesn't say anything about a school not being considered as a venue, even if it is free or not.

This is true that the thread has been up for a while now and I have just recently decided to ask the hosts to split the Friday's of each month. I was actually hoping that smashers would just try and go every other week to each smashfest without me having to ask the organizer's to do this. All I am asking for is support from organizer's by not having smashfest's one week. If BU has set this up why not play other games during that week(Street fighter,DDR, and Tekken) to pass by the time? Yume, if it's really not a big deal why not help GU smashfests so they stay alive for the community? I know that being a college student can make you really broke(I have been to college so I can understand) but I know being at BU they help you still live a social life with discounts to events in the city. I don't expect everyone to show up to my smashfests but all I ask is support or my smashfests will die.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
The reason that you are not getting many customers is because Smash (and video games in general) is not that big of a deal. The reason that Fridays is mostly Smash is because the general gaming happens on Saturday, thus would be redundant to do the same thing two days in a roll. And we chose Smash because there are quite a few of us here who are more into smash than any other game, I personally do not play any other games, if Friday are not Smash anymore I would not go to it.

If we were to switch to a biweekly, I doubt anyone would be willing to go all the way to framingham to play video games, because there is a money commitment and time commitment that is alot higher than here at BU ($11 round trip on commuterrail plus the fee to get in, as well as the 1+ hour on the commuterrail and more time trying to get from the rail to GU).

Of course as a fellow smash host I would like to help you out, but the most I can do is to let you advertise Fight Nights on this thread and would spread the word to people who are interested. Everyone here agrees that making Smash Fridays a biweekly would cause alot more inconvinience for people and not enough benefit for either of us to be worth it.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
The reason that you are not getting many customers is because Smash (and video games in general) is not that big of a deal. The reason that Fridays is mostly Smash is because the general gaming happens on Saturday, thus would be redundant to do the same thing two days in a roll. And we chose Smash because there are quite a few of us here who are more into smash than any other game, I personally do not play any other games, if Friday are not Smash anymore I would not go to it.

If we were to switch to a biweekly, I doubt anyone would be willing to go all the way to framingham to play video games, because there is a money commitment and time commitment that is alot higher than here at BU ($11 round trip on commuterrail plus the fee to get in, as well as the 1+ hour on the commuterrail and more time trying to get from the rail to GU).

Of course as a fellow smash host I would like to help you out, but the most I can do is to let you advertise Fight Nights on this thread and would spread the word to people who are interested. Everyone here agrees that making Smash Fridays a biweekly would cause alot more inconvinience for people and not enough benefit for either of us to be worth it.
I know but I also think that the age group has alot to do with players not being able to show up. I understand you have to do what you have to do but it seems like BU is the place to go for smashfests on Friday nights. I am greatful for you letting me advertise in your thread but I think I will just let the community decide on where to go for their smashfests. Thank you for listening and answering my comments/questions with respect. I am hoping that one day I might be able to show up to BU and have some matches in with the Boston college scene.

Thx,

Thomas Vigil aka Vigilante

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I concede defeat when defining venue. Can't really argue against a dictionary :p I wouldn't mind going to GU to play SSF4 though :D I got a TE stick, even if the reason is only cause my brother bought 2. I suck at SSF4, but I love it all the same, though not as much as smash. Low tier Samus and Juri (???) for teh win!

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's pretty true when they say that this is mostly only affecting people from the city anyway, I've been to a few of the smash fridays but given the choice atm I'd definitely go to GU because really traveling to boston is a massive pain in the *** if you aren't already there, cheaper too because of parking

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I got here kinda late for the party. If you want me to edit in something for fight night into the OP/Title, pm me about what you want in it, and I'll get it done.

Smash Fridays at BU, as said before, has been a little ritual of sorts, for ages before I ever heard about it. We're not trying to compete with you, but if we shut down every other week, I have my doubts as to whether you'd see a large increase in players that would otherwise come here. You see, pretty much everyone who comes here on a regular basis lives/works/goes to school within walking distance/20 minutes on the T from here. High schoolers, college kids, pretty much people without access to a car, and probably won't be much of a fan of the idea of going over to framingham to play smash. You might say that well, we won't know unless they actually have to. My counterpoint to that is that I've found that people who don't actually live/work/go to school near here often say they will come, and then don't show up/rarely show up because its far too much effort to go all the way to the middle of Boston to play a little smash. This is mainly just a way for people who haven't seen each other all week to hang out a bit, relax, and play some smash. We really can't take it away from them since they wouldn't want to go all the way to Framingham to play and hang out. For that matter, I really am not advertising anymore, I just keep this thread updated.... occasionally at best, so that people can talk to each other and see who's coming, so I'm really not trying to steal any new people away from you. The best I can do, is advertise for you here, which I'm perfectly content with. I tried to do that over the summer, with summer smashfests, and then failed to keep updating, but oh well.

(As a side note, I wouldn't mind trying to get together a small 'field trip' over to framingham one friday just to hang out and see what its like. It would be fun, I'll see what I can do.)

Prawn, most people who come here don't come to practice and get super good, so they can call themselves the best at BU and I don't even know if anyone actually aims for that anymore. We're casual players, most of us have never been to tournaments, and never plan on it. Yume, Nick, and I are probably the best players here, and they know when we went to tourneys we didn't place that well (well Yume's been doing well, but I didn't), so the rest aren't keen on going to prove themselves to be the 'best'. I, personally, would love to get myself to some more tournaments, but its my junior year, things are really busy, and I do have other things to do. There are some others, like Yume, who would want to go, but life gets in the way. A smash tournament drains away almost an entire day, some people really do have other things that they'd rather do, especially since they'd lose 30ish dollars from the ride, venue fee, and tourney fee and not be good enough to recollect any of it. So what can you do, maybe I'll try to come to a tournament in November if I'm not too busy.

Sorry for the essay, hope this clears things up somewhat.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
@ Dawall: I wish I could've played that really good kid who retired at smash. Y'know, the guy you and yume see every once in a while and you said he used to be the best at BU. Just to see what it's like to play him in his prime. I've gotten better. Sucks that your fridays are busy though. As hard as your D3 is, it's fun to play and struggle with strategizing. Get yo D3 to **** status again.

Edit: I give up on waiting for Yume to upload those replays. I still haven't bothered doing anything with my vids of Verm decimating me.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
No problem guys but just so you know I usually don't show up at GU on Friday's until I get out of work which is 11pm. So I wouldn't be able to play with you guys(when you show up) until 11pm or so. If you don't mind then I will see you all there!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Okay, so I think we are good for this friday, expect it to be at normal place normal time, but check back for confirmation/changes.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
It's been CANCELED this week. Parent's weekend has up and reserved everything, sorry everyone.

JOE!

Smash Hero
oh ****, this is right near my school XD

unfortunatley I can only make the week after this <.<

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Weekly smashfests have been going on a half hour away from my house for over a year and i've been complaining about my area being dead for smash for over a year? Wow. I feel like a complete moron. Do you guys ever have tourneys?

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
We have held tourneys before, the videogame club decided against one this semester cuz they got super difficult to do once we got a ton of people showing up. Maybe next semester. Maybe this one if its really small.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Make it $10 entry that way less people enter and still same payout.

$5 entry = 30 entrys

$10 = 15 entrys. Same Money

Use TIO + 5 or more setups and tourney ends fast.

Top Bottom