• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash for the Switch: What Can We Expect?

The possibility of a Smash game for the Nintendo Switch is exciting. Whether it be Melee, Brawl, or Smash Wii U, fans have waited anxiously for every new iteration since the series’ debut back in 1999. Our community especially is intrigued by the idea. As competitive smashers, we understand a new iteration of Smash has far-reaching implications for our community. Consequently, amid the recent release of the Switch there has been much speculation and guesswork concerning the future of our beloved series.

There seems to be two options for Smash Switch; either we get a Smash Wii U port or an entirely new game. It is doubtful that Nintendo would ever release both of these, so let's assume that only one ever does get marketed. Which one, as Smash fans, should we hope for?

It is too early to tell definitively, but a Smash 4 port would leave it’s original game untouched except for a few changes in characters and stages. It’s alternative is a well-polished, wholesome new Smash whose release date would pushed back in the pursuit of originality. Both games can be equally argued for, but strictly speaking, it is in Nintendo’s best financial interest to simply release a port. Not only would a port save them considerable amounts of effort to what would otherwise be a laborious venture, but it would also provide them with a strong addition to the Switch’s somewhat unremarkable game line-up.

Developing a Smash game of any sort for the Switch in the near future is a convincing selling-point could be huge for the console. Therefore it is reasonable to believe that Nintendo will follow through with a Smash Wii U port based off of pure financial reasons alone. The answer for we Smashers, however, is less clear-cut.

In our melting pot of a community, many find themselves disagreeing on what direction Smash should head towards. Some may think that uncommitment leaves little room for metas and cultures to grow, while others may believe that the community ought to be dynamic when it comes to new iterations to maintain rejuvenation of the scene. These two arguments butt heads, creating a community rift in priorities: what's best for the Smash scene? Having time to develop older scenes, or getting new ones?

The answer is unclear. But the phenomenon is ripe throughout Smash’s history. Considered the birthplace of competitive Smash, Melee had a dedicated following early on. Its fans were bonded together via a rare adhesive: mutual adoration of the game. Nevertheless, people were willing to try out a new Smash game, Brawl, when it came out. The new iterations slow playstyle, however, proved to be antithetical to the one that Melee players so enjoyed. Here, the answer was straightforward: there was no reason to neglect Melee because the alternative wasn’t anything they wanted.

Brawl still formed it’s own separate community, but what it lacked was the inherent competitiveness of Melee. It gave new-age smashers a chance to play a Smash that wasn’t Melee, but that’s about it. Players fled to the sight of Super Smash Bros. Wii U when it came out simply because it reconciled the want for a more novel experience with their want for a more competitive Smash game than Brawl. In both cases, the ‘direction’ of the community largely depended on how well the new game aligns with the fans’ collective competitive interest.

The Case For A Port

Developing a port would be the perfect compromise for a ‘new game’. That’s because even though a port would be different from Smash 4, it wouldn’t be to the point where the latters’ metagame is left to rot. That’s because, as Source Gaming put it, Smash for the Switch “...is a combination of 3DS and Wii U content, a ‘director’s cut’, so as far as we know nothing fundamental is changing. Yet it will presumably be tweaked just enough to allow for some interesting, nuanced gameplay made possible by the addition of never-before seen characters and stages . All in all something that would be good for the scene.

More importantly, a port would probably not cause the same kind of divisiveness within the community as an entirely new game would. I doubt there will be much hesitation from players and TO’s when the time comes to drop Smash Wii U and adopt a more updated alternative in its stead. That’s simply because we’re not risking much; at its roots the game it’s still the same.

However, the case changes with an entire new game. Arguments abound, varying, but all are alike in having the ‘best interest of the community’ at their hearts. Start from scratch or settle down at last? That is the question, and it is one without any objective answer. It is drama best to steer clear of, or at least put off, for the time being. However, I am still curious what both TO’s and top-players think of transitioning to a new standard.

In conclusion, there is little debate over whether or not the Switch deserves a
Smash game. However, there is much clamor over what the pattern the new game should conform to. Should we stay or switch? The community is a kettle whistling for answers, yet our fears and hopes are left empty until the new game actually does get released and we witness the outcome firsthand. We're about due for a Smash game for the Switch. And port or not, I have high hopes for the future of our community.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

When an optional controller is better than the one the system comes with. I mean it's honestly just that I'm more comfortable with the Pro, but the GamePad just feels... way too big for its battery.

They brought back G&W and they brought in Duck Hunt too. And Ike. You're talking about them bringing back veterans which is completely different since they were made and finished before launch. Veterans are always relevant when a new Smash game is announced and characters who were already in previous Smash games are immediately put on the table as to who might get in. Smash makes them relevant. DLC is a different story. Veterans are still put on the table, but now, and especially with Smash 4 with all of it's patches, it's more based on fans and what's new (Corrin for example). They even had a poll for the fans! I would love it if Nintendo brought in Ivysaur and Squirtle, but if they bring back the IC's and Wolf, then I do believe they'll want to make new character(s). 2 may be better than 1, but Nintendo might go for either pushing a franchise they have further into popularity (again Splatoon lol), or go with what more people want (K. Rool). Let's be honest the second we saw Charizard we knew Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't coming back. I want them to do it, I really do considering them we're only missing Snake who we also knew wasn't coming back but I just don't see it happening. Those 2 are a package deal as well. It's going to be easier than making a new character yes but if they make Ivysaur they have to make Squirtle and vice versa.
It's not that I said bringing veterans back is bad, I'm saying bringing back something that wasn't even part of the game in the first place is just a strange decision. When ROB was revealed in Subspace Emissary I was surprised so much that ROB had become my main for the rest of SE. Though after I was done with Brawl it became more and more questioning ROB's inclusion that surprise. G&W I understand because he paved the way to video games today, Duck Hunt I understand because it was the game that came with the NES. ROB was a toy that did nothing and not using him gave no positive or negative gameplay effects. That's why I think he is not relevant. While I'm happy ROB is in Smash 4 it just didn't make sense to kick out IC, Wolf, Ivy, and Squirtle, yet bring back a literal toy instead of a character that had so little time in the light.

It's not that I said bringing veterans back is bad, I'm saying bringing back something that wasn't even part of the game in the first place is just a strange decision. When ROB was revealed in Subspace Emissary I was surprised so much that ROB had become my main for the rest of SE. Though after I was done with Brawl it became more and more questioning ROB's inclusion that surprise. G&W I understand because he paved the way to video games today, Duck Hunt I understand because it was the game that came with the NES. ROB was a toy that did nothing and not using him gave no positive or negative gameplay effects. That's why I think he is not relevant. While I'm happy ROB is in Smash 4 it just didn't make sense to kick out IC, Wolf, Ivy, and Squirtle, yet bring back a literal toy instead of a character that had so little time in the light.
IC's reason for not being brought back has been talked about by a lot of people including me, so I'm not saying anything else. Ivysaur and Squirtle were characters that again, nobody though would be coming back after Charizard made it in. By the way please don't double post. Another reason he was brought back is because of his franchise, or his lack of one I guess. He is the only representative of the R.O.B. franchise and provides a new way to play that Wolf didn't bring (not saying Wolf's a clone just saying that you can't play R.O.B. like anyone else).

Considering what Samurai and his team have done I wouldn't be disappointed at all. Just give us all the stages and the 2 veterans and maybe a new character. If thsy do do 6 that would be amazing, but they don't have too imo. I think 6 might also be a bit much for Wii U and 3DS users that yeah Nintendo might not care about but remember from April 2015-February of 2016 we got 7 DLC characters. Granted there was a pol but still that was almost a year and Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, and (I think) Roy were all being made before Smash 3DS launched.
Yeah i guess your right, i guess my request was a bit unthoughtful and selfish seeing how many characters we have now

Yeah...I'd expect the following:
  • Reinstating L-canceling from Melee
  • Reinstating hitstun canceling from Brawl so I ain't got to worry about teching so much. It feels like it's damn easy to miss a tech in Sm4sh, and boy, I feel silly for missing techs here. This is why I shan't attempt to tech here any longer when I can jump or air dodge out of a tumble.
  • Well, if unlock battles ain't going anywhere, at least make the CPUs level no greater than level 5.
  • Having all Mii outfits/hats available from the start. Same thing for custom special moves, too.
  • Less pain-in-the-ass challenges as seen on Wii U version

Yeah...I'd expect the following:
  • Reinstating L-canceling from Melee
  • Reinstating hitstun canceling from Brawl so I ain't got to worry about teching so much. It feels like it's damn easy to miss a tech in Sm4sh, and boy, I feel silly for missing techs here. This is why I shan't attempt to tech here any longer when I can jump or air dodge out of a tumble.
  • Well, if unlock battles ain't going anywhere, at least make the CPUs level no greater than level 5.
  • Having all Mii outfits/hats available from the start. Same thing for custom special moves, too.
  • Less pain-in-the-*** challenges as seen on Wii U version
its annoying how many times i missed a tech (-_- ;)

Here's what you can expect: Disappointment, despair, more Fire Emblem, a startling lack of King K. Rool and all of your dreams shattered on the floor.

I support a port because:
1. Smash 4 needs more time in the competitive scene.
2. Another smash game already is way to early. We'll probably have to wait 5-6 years for the next game.
3. Daddy Sakurai wouldn't spoil us like this.
4. Financial crap

Sorry for my english which is very bad, i know.

In my opinion: there won't be a Smash 4 port, they would already annunced it.
They will do just like Splatoon and make a Smash Bros 5 on Switch.

What would like in Smash Bros 5...

As for the competitive gameplay, i think Smash 4 is already almost perfect. They just need to make it a bit faster like Melee, others than that i don't wanna change from Smash 4 gameplay.

But for the single player, i would really like something like Brawl. Yes, the most hated Smash Bros ever, and i can understand why, but is pretty obvius is the best Smash game for the singleplayer. Would love something like the Subspace emissary again, and also the boss battles.

Back to multiplayer, the charters, that's probabily what most people will discuss. Well, those are some charters i would love to see (though i know most won't be released :p)

01. Daisy. Yes, i hate how Nintendo ignore her in the recents games, she remain my favourite Mario princess and i would love to see her. I think she may be a similar case to Ganondorf/Captain Falcon: Very similar to peach, but WAY stronger, and slower. (though not as slow as Ganondorf...) Would be pretty fun to see Daisy as one of the charters with the most brutal attack xD in some Mario games Daisy has some crazy attack statistics (she is as strong as DK and stronger than Wario in a Mario sport game but i don't remember what), so i think she may be something like that in Smash, almost as strong as Ganondorf, Bowser, King Dedede ecc

02. Dry Bowser. Ok, this is strange, i know, but let me explain. In Smash 4, Bowser got many change in movement compared to Brawl and Melee. While i like this new Bowser way more than before, i kinda miss the old Bowser, but then i noted an interesting thing. During his final Smash, when Bowser become GIGA Bowser, he actually back to the Melee/Brawl movement. So i was thinging, why don't have an actual playable charter with those movements? So would be cool to have Bowser as Bowser in Smash 4, and Dry Bowser as Bowser in Melee/Brawl. I know, only a Bowser main like me would like this. :p

03. Chrom. He just... deserve to stay in Smash. because yes. No idea how the gameplay of this charter would be, i just think he really deserve to stay here.

I wanna see a Snake and Wolf comeback, because i think those are great charters.

And for the love of god i like Bayonetta, that's why i wanna her too, but nerfed. A similar nerf to Meta Knight from Brawl to Smash 4.

As for the competitive gameplay, i think Smash 4 is already almost perfect. They just need to make it a bit faster like Melee, others than that i don't wanna change from Smash 4 gameplay.

But for the single player, i would really like something like Brawl. Yes, the most hated Smash Bros ever, and i can understand why, but is pretty obvius is the best Smash game for the singleplayer. Would love something like the Subspace emissary again, and also the boss battles.

Back to multiplayer, the charters, that's probabily what most people will discuss. Well, those are some charters i would love to see (though i know most won't be released :p)

01. Daisy. Yes, i hate how Nintendo ignore her in the recents games, she remain my favourite Mario princess and i would love to see her. I think she may be a similar case to Ganondorf/Captain Falcon: Very similar to peach, but WAY stronger, and slower. (though not as slow as Ganondorf...) Would be pretty fun to see Daisy as one of the charters with the most brutal attack xD in some Mario games Daisy has some crazy attack statistics (she is as strong as DK and stronger than Wario in a Mario sport game but i don't remember what), so i think she may be something like that in Smash, almost as strong as Ganondorf, Bowser, King Dedede ecc

02. Dry Bowser. Ok, this is strange, i know, but let me explain. In Smash 4, Bowser got many change in movement compared to Brawl and Melee. While i like this new Bowser way more than before, i kinda miss the old Bowser, but then i noted an interesting thing. During his final Smash, when Bowser become GIGA Bowser, he actually back to the Melee/Brawl movement. So i was thinging, why don't have an actual playable charter with those movements? So would be cool to have Bowser as Bowser in Smash 4, and Dry Bowser as Bowser in Melee/Brawl. I know, only a Bowser main like me would like this. :p

03. Chrom. He just... deserve to stay in Smash. because yes. No idea how the gameplay of this charter would be, i just think he really deserve to stay here.

I wanna see a Snake and Wolf comeback, because i think those are great charters.

And for the love of god i like Bayonetta, that's why i wanna her too, but nerfed. A similar nerf to Meta Knight from Brawl to Smash 4.
There is no way, NO WAY, we wouldn't have known about a new Smash game through leaks or something by now. If it was a ew Smash game, they would've announced it. They're not going through all the tie and energy to make a new game with new mechanics when Smash 4 hasn't even been fully explored yet. Not even close. If they did a port they can announce it later because it'll take much less time to do. None of that stuff is happening. This isn't Splatoon, which was built from DLC. You can't make Smash for the Switch look different enough to separate it from the Wii U and 3DS. You can't just add new characters and stages and call it a day for a new Smash game. That's not what Melee was, or Brawl, or Sm4sh. There is no doubt in my mind that if we get anything for Smash, we will get a port. The only thing to discuss will be what's in it.

There is no way a new smash bros will be made, its too soon, we need to wait another 4 or 5 years before the chances of that happens, theres no doubt it'll be a port, with either new characters and or new stages and maybe a new mode.

If Smash Switch is actually SSB4 Deluxe and not Smash 5, then I would like it to be given the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe treatment.

All fighters from SSB4, including the DLC fighters... and bring back Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf, and Young Link... and maybe two newcomers like Alph and Inkling.

All stages from Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS, including the DLC stages... and bring back some past stages that weren't in either SSB4 version... and maybe a Splatoon stage.

All Mii Fighter costumes, including the DLC costumes... and add many more costumes. I want Konami costumes like Simon Belmont (:4miisword:) and Bomberman (:4miigun:) if they aren't newcomers.

If Smash Switch is actually SSB4 Deluxe and not Smash 5, then I would like it to be given the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe treatment.

All fighters from SSB4, including the DLC fighters... and bring back Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf, and Young Link... and maybe two newcomers like Alph and Inkling.

All stages from Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS, including the DLC stages... and bring back some past stages that weren't in either SSB4 version... and maybe a Splatoon stage.

All Mii Fighter costumes, including the DLC costumes... and add many more costumes. I want Konami costumes like Simon Belmont (:4miisword:) and Bomberman (:4miigun:) if they aren't newcomers.
i'm with you on bringing back characters that were from past games, and same for stages, but Alph is an Olimar alt. they're not gonna make him his own character, and for the inkling they already have a full complete costume of the character, so i doubt that they'd be a character, but of course that's still open for debate.
if they do decided to bring back all the older characters plus the DLC characters while still adding two more, they'd probably go to the smash ballot and pick the 2 runner ups behind bayo. i don't know who the runner ups are tho. either way who ever the two are that we get, whether i like the characters or not, ill be happy with the wide variety of characters that'd be available if sm4sh gets the same treatment mario kart 8 has gotten.

i'm with you on bringing back characters that were from past games, and same for stages, but Alph is an Olimar alt. they're not gonna make him his own character, and for the inkling they already have a full complete costume of the character, so i doubt that they'd be a character, but of course that's still open for debate.
if they do decided to bring back all the older characters plus the DLC characters while still adding two more, they'd probably go to the smash ballot and pick the 2 runner ups behind bayo. i don't know who the runner ups are tho. either way who ever the two are that we get, whether i like the characters or not, ill be happy with the wide variety of characters that'd be available if sm4sh gets the same treatment mario kart 8 has gotten.
I'd say Inkling as Mii Fighters does not hold them back at all considering the other fighters like K. Rool and Geno who also got costumes like this. They did it because they were popular characters that at the time were not getting in the game at all, but were definitely popular enough for some special treatment. I think choosing the 2 runner ups from the ballot might happen as well (from reasonable fighters of course lol), but considering how long it's been characters have gotten more or less popular like the inklings and Bomberman for example.

I'm All about my Project M main coming in and destroying lives like he did to that one girls life.

Guess Who i'm talking about, and i'll give you something nice. ;)

If the port comes with two new characters, more than likely it's going to be more FE characters since promoting said franchise is on their radar right now.

Last edited:
If the port comes with two new characters, more than likely it's going to be more FE characters since promoting said franchise is on their radar right now.
More FE characters are the last thing to come considering there's no new FE game announced and Sakurai didn't really want to put in Corrin either because of too many FE characters. IC's are pretty much a guarantee with them already being fully developed and just as easy to transfer over as the other characters. I want to say Splatoon for the same reason you gave for FE but I've already said that lol.
It will be a few years before Smash comes to the switch, but i doubt it will even happen.
Yes because they'll bring MK8 before Sm4sh and they definitely want to be esports with Splatoon, Arms, and MK8D, and you know, not the game that's already huge in the fighting game franchise and one of their best selling games that they worked on for almost 3 more years after it released all so that it would stay on the Wii U which they clearly want behind them.

I think that they should have the gameplay of Smash for Switch like Smash for Wii U. Saying this, I also think that there needs to be 1 on 1 for fun in internet mode and some new characters. I think there should be Galacta Knight, King Bomb-Omb, and King K. Rool. Galacta Knight should be like Meta Knight, but better. King Bomb-Omb should have lots of explosion attacks, and King K. Rool should be a powerful heavyweight.

More FE characters are the last thing to come considering there's no new FE game announced and Sakurai didn't really want to put in Corrin either because of too many FE characters. IC's are pretty much a guarantee with them already being fully developed and just as easy to transfer over as the other characters. I want to say Splatoon for the same reason you gave for FE but I've already said that lol.
Sounds like too many, but definitely not hoping for anything else given the track records on the previous batch of new characters. It seems Nintendo was heavily involved with those last couple of picks regardless of polls.

Last edited:
Sounds like too many, but definitely not hoping for anything else given the track records on the previous batch of new characters. It seems Nintendo was heavily involved with those last couple of picks regardless of polls.
2 characters sounds like too many?
I think that they should have the gameplay of Smash for Switch like Smash for Wii U. Saying this, I also think that there needs to be 1 on 1 for fun in internet mode and some new characters. I think there should be Galacta Knight, King Bomb-Omb, and King K. Rool. Galacta Knight should be like Meta Knight, but better. King Bomb-Omb should have lots of explosion attacks, and King K. Rool should be a powerful heavyweight.
"Galactic Knight should be like Meta Knight, but better" Ok then that's how you make a Smash character lol. I think I would rather have Bomber Man over King Bob-omb who has no chance of getting in (sorry) along with Galactic Knight (although I do want him in as anther representative for Kirby and what not).

Last edited:
I'd say Inkling as Mii Fighters does not hold them back at all considering the other fighters like K. Rool and Geno who also got costumes like this. They did it because they were popular characters that at the time were not getting in the game at all, but were definitely popular enough for some special treatment. I think choosing the 2 runner ups from the ballot might happen as well (from reasonable fighters of course lol), but considering how long it's been characters have gotten more or less popular like the inklings and Bomberman for example.
true, idk i kinda feel like it'd be weird having the inkling in smash, but i guess thats just me lol

Top Bottom