• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash for the Switch: What Can We Expect?

The possibility of a Smash game for the Nintendo Switch is exciting. Whether it be Melee, Brawl, or Smash Wii U, fans have waited anxiously for every new iteration since the series’ debut back in 1999. Our community especially is intrigued by the idea. As competitive smashers, we understand a new iteration of Smash has far-reaching implications for our community. Consequently, amid the recent release of the Switch there has been much speculation and guesswork concerning the future of our beloved series.

There seems to be two options for Smash Switch; either we get a Smash Wii U port or an entirely new game. It is doubtful that Nintendo would ever release both of these, so let's assume that only one ever does get marketed. Which one, as Smash fans, should we hope for?

It is too early to tell definitively, but a Smash 4 port would leave it’s original game untouched except for a few changes in characters and stages. It’s alternative is a well-polished, wholesome new Smash whose release date would pushed back in the pursuit of originality. Both games can be equally argued for, but strictly speaking, it is in Nintendo’s best financial interest to simply release a port. Not only would a port save them considerable amounts of effort to what would otherwise be a laborious venture, but it would also provide them with a strong addition to the Switch’s somewhat unremarkable game line-up.

Developing a Smash game of any sort for the Switch in the near future is a convincing selling-point could be huge for the console. Therefore it is reasonable to believe that Nintendo will follow through with a Smash Wii U port based off of pure financial reasons alone. The answer for we Smashers, however, is less clear-cut.

In our melting pot of a community, many find themselves disagreeing on what direction Smash should head towards. Some may think that uncommitment leaves little room for metas and cultures to grow, while others may believe that the community ought to be dynamic when it comes to new iterations to maintain rejuvenation of the scene. These two arguments butt heads, creating a community rift in priorities: what's best for the Smash scene? Having time to develop older scenes, or getting new ones?

The answer is unclear. But the phenomenon is ripe throughout Smash’s history. Considered the birthplace of competitive Smash, Melee had a dedicated following early on. Its fans were bonded together via a rare adhesive: mutual adoration of the game. Nevertheless, people were willing to try out a new Smash game, Brawl, when it came out. The new iterations slow playstyle, however, proved to be antithetical to the one that Melee players so enjoyed. Here, the answer was straightforward: there was no reason to neglect Melee because the alternative wasn’t anything they wanted.

Brawl still formed it’s own separate community, but what it lacked was the inherent competitiveness of Melee. It gave new-age smashers a chance to play a Smash that wasn’t Melee, but that’s about it. Players fled to the sight of Super Smash Bros. Wii U when it came out simply because it reconciled the want for a more novel experience with their want for a more competitive Smash game than Brawl. In both cases, the ‘direction’ of the community largely depended on how well the new game aligns with the fans’ collective competitive interest.

The Case For A Port

Developing a port would be the perfect compromise for a ‘new game’. That’s because even though a port would be different from Smash 4, it wouldn’t be to the point where the latters’ metagame is left to rot. That’s because, as Source Gaming put it, Smash for the Switch “...is a combination of 3DS and Wii U content, a ‘director’s cut’, so as far as we know nothing fundamental is changing. Yet it will presumably be tweaked just enough to allow for some interesting, nuanced gameplay made possible by the addition of never-before seen characters and stages . All in all something that would be good for the scene.

More importantly, a port would probably not cause the same kind of divisiveness within the community as an entirely new game would. I doubt there will be much hesitation from players and TO’s when the time comes to drop Smash Wii U and adopt a more updated alternative in its stead. That’s simply because we’re not risking much; at its roots the game it’s still the same.

However, the case changes with an entire new game. Arguments abound, varying, but all are alike in having the ‘best interest of the community’ at their hearts. Start from scratch or settle down at last? That is the question, and it is one without any objective answer. It is drama best to steer clear of, or at least put off, for the time being. However, I am still curious what both TO’s and top-players think of transitioning to a new standard.

In conclusion, there is little debate over whether or not the Switch deserves a
Smash game. However, there is much clamor over what the pattern the new game should conform to. Should we stay or switch? The community is a kettle whistling for answers, yet our fears and hopes are left empty until the new game actually does get released and we witness the outcome firsthand. We're about due for a Smash game for the Switch. And port or not, I have high hopes for the future of our community.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Nope, many 3DS stages came from Brawl and you know why Wii U didn't have them? Because it was easier to put them on 3DS than to remaster them in HD for the Wii U.
I don't see that changing with the Switch....
A few stages in Sm4sh are direct, untouched ports from Brawl. Not to mention the 64 stages. There isn't really any change in effort.

A few stages in Sm4sh are direct, untouched ports from Brawl. Not to mention the 64 stages. There isn't really any change in effort.
Not direct, they are "HD" remastered, otherwise those 480p stages would be ant-sized in our 1080p game. I know there are stages Sakurai bothered porting to Wii U, every game has it share of classic stages, but many others he preferred to leave for the 3DS.
And 3DS's original 240p stages? No way that is making it's way to Switch....

Nope, many 3DS stages came from Brawl and you know why Wii U didn't have them? Because it was easier to put them on 3DS than to remaster them in HD for the Wii U.
I don't see that changing with the Switch....
Or, now I'm just throwing this out there, there were stages on the Wii U that were new that represented that franchise (Wolly World, Orbital Gate, etc.) and these were Wii U games and so stages like Corneria and Yoshi's Island were put on the 3DS so they would have stages for their respective franchise.

As someone who doesn't currently own a Switch but has a Wii U and Sm4sh (and is overall fairly unhappy with the amount of quality titles the Wii U had) I can say I'd honestly be pretty miffed if they ported Sm4sh to the Switch and added new characters that they didn't offer for Wii U/3DS owners.

Overall Wii U owners got the short end of the stick in a lot of ways. It feels like Nintendo gave up on the Wii U years ago and 3DS got all the attention and titles (i.e. 0 Fire Emblem games on Wii U but Sm4sh has half a dozen FE characters). If they wanna offer up some 3ds levels for wii u and switch I think that would be well received and even if the Switch port came with everything but that same content was offered as DLC on Wii U it would appease Wii U owners.

If they come out with some new characters and make them Switch exclusive it'll change sm4sh tournaments and for the worse. Switch currently doesn't support GC controllers and it'll create division in the competitive community as GC controllers are still heavily favored as the best means to play smash. If there are no GC controllers on Switch people will continue to use the Wii U to compete. Exclusive content not availed to 3ds or wii u owners in the form of new characters would prob only serve as a slap in the face. I'm not gonna go spend $350 for 2 new characters and I very much doubt the average person would jump at the opportunity to.

I'm all for more smash but depriving people of content by forcing them to get another console would definitely not be the best way to do it I feel.
Well Explained. Period.

Not direct, they are "HD" remastered, otherwise those 480p stages would be ant-sized in our 1080p game. I know there are stages Sakurai bothered porting to Wii U, every game has it share of classic stages, but many others he preferred to leave for the 3DS.
And 3DS's original 240p stages? No way that is making it's way to Switch....
That's.. not how resolution works. I am 100% certain that Halberd is a direct port.

Last edited:
As someone who doesn't currently own a Switch but has a Wii U and Sm4sh (and is overall fairly unhappy with the amount of quality titles the Wii U had) I can say I'd honestly be pretty miffed if they ported Sm4sh to the Switch and added new characters that they didn't offer for Wii U/3DS owners.

Overall Wii U owners got the short end of the stick in a lot of ways. It feels like Nintendo gave up on the Wii U years ago and 3DS got all the attention and titles (i.e. 0 Fire Emblem games on Wii U but Sm4sh has half a dozen FE characters). If they wanna offer up some 3ds levels for wii u and switch I think that would be well received and even if the Switch port came with everything but that same content was offered as DLC on Wii U it would appease Wii U owners.

If they come out with some new characters and make them Switch exclusive it'll change sm4sh tournaments and for the worse. Switch currently doesn't support GC controllers and it'll create division in the competitive community as GC controllers are still heavily favored as the best means to play smash. If there are no GC controllers on Switch people will continue to use the Wii U to compete. Exclusive content not availed to 3ds or wii u owners in the form of new characters would prob only serve as a slap in the face. I'm not gonna go spend $350 for 2 new characters and I very much doubt the average person would jump at the opportunity to.

I'm all for more smash but depriving people of content by forcing them to get another console would definitely not be the best way to do it I feel.
I feel like what they would do in this case is add the new (veteran, or new and veteran) characters on the Switch and also give it some updates but at the same time be giving the Wii U and 3DS those same updates so all versions would still play exactly the same, you can just get more characters and a mi of stages on the Switch. That seems fair to me. However, if they do add Wolf, I feel as though he should be available for all the versions. The same would go for the unlikely Snake (and the very unlikely chance of Ivysaur or Squirtle). If you have a new version, and it'd not held back by something like 3DS hardware, then I say use the newfound potential to go even farther. However if they make any new characters, I would say leave them on the Switch. You should get something for buying the console in my opinion other than IC's if they add some other characters.

Last edited:
That's.. not how resolution works. I am 100% certain that Halberd is a direct port.
It's not, if it were the stage would be tiny. You can't just pick up assets from a 480p game and put in a 1080p game and everything will be fine.
Look at the own N64 stages for instance. They all look way smaller in all of the sequels despite being worked on to up the resolution (another thing is that everything would be way blurrier if it was a STRAIGHT port)
Just look at how tiny they look, just look at it!!!

This is my biggest grip with the 64 stages ports since forever....

5) Returning omitted characters, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, Pichu, and Young Link (likely for one of the first two. Really unlikely for any of the rest)
Actually, since Sm4sh has nearly the same engine as Brawl and they did confirm they simply imported most Brawl characters over to it in their raw form anyway, I can easily see all of them returning, besides the last one (since Toon Link exists), but lots of people apparently love Pichu.

7) a couple of new third party characters (also unlikely)
Bomberman actually might happen, considering the following:

1) Sakurai legitimately asked for him during Brawl, but Hudson refused.
2) He now has an exclusive game on the Switch and just got a recent re-release on the Wii U Virtual Console in the form of Bomberman 64, a mere month after Bomberman '94 was also released on the same store.
3) Konami is probably on good terms with Nintendo after all this.

Also, that last reason means Snake COULD return as well.

14) a GameCube control adaptor that only needs one USB port and provides 8 GameCube control ports and works with any switch virtual console games a GameCube control would have worked with before. (Not a chance)
It needs two cause the other one is for rumble. If it's only for one port, they'd need a new adapter altogether. And why do that? Not like those ports will be used for anything else at the moment, anyway.

I do agree with you, though, that it won't be widespread for all Switch Virtual Console like it was for the Wii, but...given the rumors about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it is supported for GameCube Virtual Console, considering the Switch's own controllers lack analog.

D
To be honest, I expect to see an entirely new game but heh, we'll see.
Though I'm still looking forward.

I just want Ice Climbers dangit

I'm two years overdue for them, jesus tapdancing christ

okay and I guess HD ports of 3DS stages and improved Smash Run would be nice too.

I think the Ice Climbers have an extremely good shot of returning if Smash 4 Switch becomes a thing. However, I honestly don't think we're going to see Wolf. The only reason to justify bringing him back is the fact that people like him and I don't think that's enough to get Sakurai to bring him back. If Sakurai added characters for the sole reason that people liked them, we'd have K. Rool in the game, but he doesn't work like that. It's not like Star Fox Zero was a huge success that justifies Wolf's comeback. Heck, they literally brought back Lucas, a character from a Japan-exclusive game that Nintendo has been trying to get us to forget about for eleven years now, over Wolf. Sakurai won't bring back Wolf because Wolf isn't a unique character. Wolf is to Fox as Lucas is to Ness. They're in this weird middle ground between semi-clone and unique character. Besides, one of the huge complaints about Brawl's character roster was that there was "three Foxes". What does Wolf have that really sets him apart from the rest of the cast and makes him stand out as a unique character? Nothing really. The reason the Ice Climbers have such a good chance of returning is because they're a unique character. Playing as them literally means playing as two characters at the same time. It's not like Rosalina and Luma's puppet fighter gimmick, where Luma imitates everything Rosalina does and nothing more. Nana can attempt to fight, recover, etc. for herself if she needs to. Ice Climbers are unique. Wolf doesn't really have something like this that makes him unique. Yes, you can argue that Lucas doesn't either and that Wolf still stands a chance because Lucas made it in. However, I personally felt that the second DLC slot was between Lucas and Wolf. Lucas was chosen because he came from a series with less representation and, while he may not exactly be more unique than Wolf, his overall moveset has a lot more personality than Wolf's. Besides, Lucas actually has more moves that are unique. A lot of Wolf's moves just come from other characters (Down Smash came from Link, Up Air came from Sonic, Down Air came from Diddy Kong, etc.) Lucas, on the other hand, has his own unique animations for each of his moves (except Forward Smash), even his B moves.

I think the Ice Climbers have an extremely good shot of returning if Smash 4 Switch becomes a thing. However, I honestly don't think we're going to see Wolf. The only reason to justify bringing him back is the fact that people like him and I don't think that's enough to get Sakurai to bring him back. If Sakurai added characters for the sole reason that people liked them, we'd have K. Rool in the game, but he doesn't work like that. It's not like Star Fox Zero was a huge success that justifies Wolf's comeback. Heck, they literally brought back Lucas, a character from a Japan-exclusive game that Nintendo has been trying to get us to forget about for eleven years now, over Wolf. Sakurai won't bring back Wolf because Wolf isn't a unique character. Wolf is to Fox as Lucas is to Ness. They're in this weird middle ground between semi-clone and unique character. Besides, one of the huge complaints about Brawl's character roster was that there was "three Foxes". What does Wolf have that really sets him apart from the rest of the cast and makes him stand out as a unique character? Nothing really. The reason the Ice Climbers have such a good chance of returning is because they're a unique character. Playing as them literally means playing as two characters at the same time. It's not like Rosalina and Luma's puppet fighter gimmick, where Luma imitates everything Rosalina does and nothing more. Nana can attempt to fight, recover, etc. for herself if she needs to. Ice Climbers are unique. Wolf doesn't really have something like this that makes him unique. Yes, you can argue that Lucas doesn't either and that Wolf still stands a chance because Lucas made it in. However, I personally felt that the second DLC slot was between Lucas and Wolf. Lucas was chosen because he came from a series with less representation and, while he may not exactly be more unique than Wolf, his overall moveset has a lot more personality than Wolf's. Besides, Lucas actually has more moves that are unique. A lot of Wolf's moves just come from other characters (Down Smash came from Link, Up Air came from Sonic, Down Air came from Diddy Kong, etc.) Lucas, on the other hand, has his own unique animations for each of his moves (except Forward Smash), even his B moves.
Considering Ness was the only Earthbound character in his franchise it would make sense to put Wolf over Lucas especially considering how Earthbound origins were coming out. Also, IC's would get back in because of hardware issues for the 3DS and how they worked on the Wii U but they couldn't work on both systems. Also, semi-clones? I don't know about you but I don't think Wolf was at all a clone to Fox in Brawl, and Lucas plays very differently from Ness with his style of play being more geared towards zoning and more defensive with his PK Fire and Zair which is not usually how a Ness would play in my opinion. If I play Ness, I can't just pick up a Lucas. If I play Fox, I definitely wouldn't be able to pick up Wolf if he's brought back to be about his Brawl self. Lucas and Wolf aren't clones. The reason people act like they are is because they have similar moves that are all different (ex with Ness and Lucas: up b, PK Flash vs PK Freeze (horizontal and vertical), PK Fire, almost all of their aerials, grabs definitely, etc.) Wolf is the same thing. I personally think he has less similarities to Fox than Falco, and they're completely different characters in SSB4. No one needs an explanation on why IC's are different from Rosa because we already know they are. Also, moves coming from other characters? Really? Try that will almost any character's aerials and you'll find something else like it in a game with almost 60 characters. Wolf's up is different, his side b is different, his neutral b is a regular projectile unlike Fox and Falco which you can hold, his reflector is the same but it's a reflector so who cares? His smashes were different too with his side smash hitting multiple times. Also what's the matter? Scared? Was a great taunt.

The wolf fanboys need to read this haha

Woah there.

Got a source for this?
If it wasn't archived, I would. I read this back in 2014, but it's not like it would matter if I ever found it again, anyway. Konami is dumb and would never put Bomberman in this series. Hudson could have, since they had a very close bond with Nintendo and made all their Mario Party games until the ninth one, where they fused into Konami by that point.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help there, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai did actually ask for Bomberman, since he was still pretty big back in 2007. Either way, he is not in the series and probably never will be.

Woah there.

Got a source for this? Cause I'm 99% sure this is bull.
I've been searching for this out of a similar curiosity, and I've seen a bunch of people referring to it, so I'm assuming something about it least existed at one point but it's nowhere to be found. Which of course means we can't tell how reliable or untrustworthy the source is, but if I were to bet, it's probably complete nonsense, if it was a more reliable source surely someone would have kept a archive of it around, this really isn't the kind of thing that people'd ever forget about, so I doubt the source (if there even is one) is authentic.

Considering Ness was the only Earthbound character in his franchise it would make sense to put Wolf over Lucas especially considering how Earthbound origins were coming out. Also, IC's would get back in because of hardware issues for the 3DS and how they worked on the Wii U but they couldn't work on both systems. Also, semi-clones? I don't know about you but I don't think Wolf was at all a clone to Fox in Brawl, and Lucas plays very differently from Ness with his style of play being more geared towards zoning and more defensive with his PK Fire and Zair which is not usually how a Ness would play in my opinion. If I play Ness, I can't just pick up a Lucas. If I play Fox, I definitely wouldn't be able to pick up Wolf if he's brought back to be about his Brawl self. Lucas and Wolf aren't clones. The reason people act like they are is because they have similar moves that are all different (ex with Ness and Lucas: up b, PK Flash vs PK Freeze (horizontal and vertical), PK Fire, almost all of their aerials, grabs definitely, etc.) Wolf is the same thing. I personally think he has less similarities to Fox than Falco, and they're completely different characters in SSB4. No one needs an explanation on why IC's are different from Rosa because we already know they are. Also, moves coming from other characters? Really? Try that will almost any character's aerials and you'll find something else like it in a game with almost 60 characters. Wolf's up is different, his side b is different, his neutral b is a regular projectile unlike Fox and Falco which you can hold, his reflector is the same but it's a reflector so who cares? His smashes were different too with his side smash hitting multiple times. Also what's the matter? Scared? Was a great taunt.
But, we had no idea about EarthBound Origins until well over two months after Lucas was announced. Though that might be the reason, as far as we were aware of back then, Lucas, quite literally, came out of Nowhere.
I never said they were semi-clones. I said they were in this weird middle zone between semi-clone and unique character. In other words, they're too different to even be considered semi-clones, but they're just similar enough to prevent them from being their own unique characters. Their special moves are all derivatives of their source's special moves. Yes, those moves are modified to the point where they serve a completely different purpose (such as allowing Lucas to be more of a zoning character instead of retaining Ness's grab-based playstyle), but it's still very clear that they're modified versions of their source character's moves. They weren't given those moves because it actually related to their games (though, they still do) as much as they were given those moves because Fox and Ness had them. It's really weird trying to classify Lucas and Wolf, due to how weird their classification as characters is, so I'm sorry if my explaination isn't clear enough.
You definitely can't magically play one of them just by playing their source character and I'm not trying to argue otherwise. But, the same principal even applies to characters who are actually semi-clones. For example, say you main Marth. You can't just pick up Roy and suddenly be amazing because, despite having many of the same moves, the characters are designed to be played in a different way.
Wolf is definitely more unique than Falco, but Falco is still a semi-clone. He basically is to Fox as Roy is to Marth. He isn't a 100% clone, but most of his moves look very similar to Fox's, even in a visual department.
See, here's the thing about moves coming from other characters. I'm not talking about moves that look LIKE one another. For example, both Shulk and Cloud's FAirs have them swing their swords in front of them, but both moves have completely different animations. Wolf literally reused the exact same animations from the characters he borrowed these moves from. Those moves aren't just like those other characters' moves. They are those other characters moves, except with different damage, knockback, etc. Animation wise, however, they're identical and that's what I mean.
I explained everything about Wolf (and Lucas') special moves above.
I do agree. "What's the matter? Scared?" was a great taunt with a lot of personality. However, Lucas' personality is seen throughout his entire moveset. Just by how Lucas fights and the expressions he makes, you know that this is a kid who isn't exactly the strongest one out there nor is he by any means the bravest, but he's still willing to give it a go and prove to everybody, including himself, what he's truly capable of. You don't really get a sense of who Wolf is in terms of personality from his moveset outside of that taunt. Now, that is probably because Wolf barely made it into the game and, if he had as much development time as Lucas did, we'd probably see a lot more of his personality throughout his moveset because the developers could give him a whole bunch of new moves and animations that truly expressed his character instead of making him essentially a mish-mash of other characters moves that simply just "worked" for Wolf

But, we had no idea about EarthBound Origins until well over two months after Lucas was announced. Though that might be the reason, as far as we were aware of back then, Lucas, quite literally, came out of Nowhere.
I never said they were semi-clones. I said they were in this weird middle zone between semi-clone and unique character. In other words, they're too different to even be considered semi-clones, but they're just similar enough to prevent them from being their own unique characters. Their special moves are all derivatives of their source's special moves. Yes, those moves are modified to the point where they serve a completely different purpose (such as allowing Lucas to be more of a zoning character instead of retaining Ness's grab-based playstyle), but it's still very clear that they're modified versions of their source character's moves. They weren't given those moves because it actually related to their games (though, they still do) as much as they were given those moves because Fox and Ness had them. It's really weird trying to classify Lucas and Wolf, due to how weird their classification as characters is, so I'm sorry if my explaination isn't clear enough.
You definitely can't magically play one of them just by playing their source character and I'm not trying to argue otherwise. But, the same principal even applies to characters who are actually semi-clones. For example, say you main Marth. You can't just pick up Roy and suddenly be amazing because, despite having many of the same moves, the characters are designed to be played in a different way.
Wolf is definitely more unique than Falco, but Falco is still a semi-clone. He basically is to Fox as Roy is to Marth. He isn't a 100% clone, but most of his moves look very similar to Fox's, even in a visual department.
See, here's the thing about moves coming from other characters. I'm not talking about moves that look LIKE one another. For example, both Shulk and Cloud's FAirs have them swing their swords in front of them, but both moves have completely different animations. Wolf literally reused the exact same animations from the characters he borrowed these moves from. Those moves aren't just like those other characters' moves. They are those other characters moves, except with different damage, knockback, etc. Animation wise, however, they're identical and that's what I mean.
I explained everything about Wolf (and Lucas') special moves above.
I do agree. "What's the matter? Scared?" was a great taunt with a lot of personality. However, Lucas' personality is seen throughout his entire moveset. Just by how Lucas fights and the expressions he makes, you know that this is a kid who isn't exactly the strongest one out there nor is he by any means the bravest, but he's still willing to give it a go and prove to everybody, including himself, what he's truly capable of. You don't really get a sense of who Wolf is in terms of personality from his moveset outside of that taunt. Now, that is probably because Wolf barely made it into the game and, if he had as much development time as Lucas did, we'd probably see a lot more of his personality throughout his moveset because the developers could give him a whole bunch of new moves and animations that truly expressed his character instead of making him essentially a mish-mash of other characters moves that simply just "worked" for Wolf
The taunt part was more of a joke lol. The thing with semi-clones is that it's a weird place to put characters in in my opinion. The only character I think I would call a semi-clone is Dr. Mario because even though he has a lot of the same moves with different properties or exactly the same, he still plays differently from Mario. He can still juggle and such but with how his recovery is and how he's slower yet stronger, he doesn't feel like Mario at all. It's why he's placed so low. Characters like Falco and Ganon play so different from CF and Fox that they can hardly be considered semi-clones in my opinion. Those 2 are less like their counter parts than Lucas is to Ness. I do understand what you're saying about re using moves, but even then they're all from different characters. They can definitely tweek some of his moves if they can tweek Sonic's down smash to be exactly like Fox and Falco's lol. This is the last character besides the IC's that would make this game feel complete for veterans who missed their old characters (not including snake and Ivysaur and Squirtle because those characters just aren't coming back and Pichu and Young Link would just be completely and utterly useless), and it wouldn't be as hard compared to creating a new character since they already have everything for Wolf including the stage and music.

The taunt part was more of a joke lol. The thing with semi-clones is that it's a weird place to put characters in in my opinion. The only character I think I would call a semi-clone is Dr. Mario because even though he has a lot of the same moves with different properties or exactly the same, he still plays differently from Mario. He can still juggle and such but with how his recovery is and how he's slower yet stronger, he doesn't feel like Mario at all. It's why he's placed so low. Characters like Falco and Ganon play so different from CF and Fox that they can hardly be considered semi-clones in my opinion. Those 2 are less like their counter parts than Lucas is to Ness. I do understand what you're saying about re using moves, but even then they're all from different characters. They can definitely tweek some of his moves if they can tweek Sonic's down smash to be exactly like Fox and Falco's lol. This is the last character besides the IC's that would make this game feel complete for veterans who missed their old characters (not including snake and Ivysaur and Squirtle because those characters just aren't coming back and Pichu and Young Link would just be completely and utterly useless), and it wouldn't be as hard compared to creating a new character since they already have everything for Wolf including the stage and music.
^^Pretty much this explains why I think Wolf should return (the ICs would still be a problem if they're trying to bring them over for the Switch, because the 3DS owners will never get them due to the limitations, unless they were split as separate characters (with Nana being an alt of Popo).

^^Pretty much this explains why I think Wolf should return (the ICs would still be a problem if they're trying to bring them over for the Switch, because the 3DS owners will never get them due to the limitations, unless they were split as separate characters (with Nana being an alt of Popo).
We're all saying that IC's would be a Switch exclusive character. That's the point. The Switch isn't held back by any hardware limitations to not allow for IC's to be in the game. In my opinion if they do this, they would bring back IC's, most likely bring in the Inklings if they want a new character and because Splatoon eSport and Splatoon in general, and bring in Wolf. Wolf could be for every console, but I don't think they'll do that, especially if they want the Wii U to be forgotten. What I think they will do, is continue to give the Wii U and 3DS version the same patch updates that they implement on the Switch (if any but if they add new characters then there's a 80% chance they will especially if they add a glitch or something). Also, if they do add the IC's then I want them to make it so that if Popo dies then you become Nana like in PM.

The Wii U almost definitely isn't getting any of the new content on the Switch version.

Last edited:
Like most people have said, it is probably just a port with extra characters and stages they didn't add before (Wolf, Ice Climbers, hopefully more)

This would also explain why we haven't had any news on Bayo, Corrin and Cloud amiibo. Because their is a patch coming to be released with this game. Maybe idk

Let's be honest, the 2 "new" characters will probably be :icsmelee: and :wolf:, :popo: cause the 3DS can't hold them back, popular demand, and because they seem to be a main stay in the series. As for :wolf:, he also has popular demand, and simply put, ease of programming; after all he already has a trophy in the game plus all his moves are in :4fox:'s customs, so that covers his animations. The only thing I see going against :wolf: is the fact that Sakurai might not feel like he's important enough to put in the game, I mean :wolf: was a last minute addition in Brawl, so it's not like Sakurai is going to prioritize :wolf:, as he didn't try that hard to put him in. :younglinkmelee: could be possible what with Majora's Mask on 3DS and his moves existing in customs, but he lacks popular demand, though I personally want see him back.
I like Young Link :(

But either way, what about the remain Pokemon trainer characters? You know Squirtle and Ivysaur?

:135:

Like most people have said, it is probably just a port with extra characters and stages they didn't add before (Wolf, Ice Climbers, hopefully more)

This would also explain why we haven't had any news on Bayo, Corrin and Cloud amiibo. Because their is a patch coming to be released with this game. Maybe idk

I like Young Link :(

But either way, what about the remain Pokemon trainer characters? You know Squirtle and Ivysaur?

:135:
I mentioned them too, but I don't think Nintendo would. No ones asking for them because no one thinks they'll make it in. Charizard made sense considering how popular he is (And Pokémon X and Y with 2 mega evolutions), but Squirtle and Ivysaur are like Jigglypuff. They were very popular and very well known (besides Ivysaur but they needed a middle ground and it looks like Bulbasaur), but after the first region the hype for them died down until Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green. Now considering they did just bring those 2 games over to the Eshop they are more relevant especially since you can transfer them over, but still not that relevant. Those 2 wouldn't be brought back over a new character in my opinion.

I mentioned them too, but I don't think Nintendo would. No ones asking for them because no one thinks they'll make it in. Charizard made sense considering how popular he is (And Pokémon X and Y with 2 mega evolutions), but Squirtle and Ivysaur are like Jigglypuff. They were very popular and very well known (besides Ivysaur but they needed a middle ground and it looks like Bulbasaur), but after the first region the hype for them died down until Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green. Now considering they did just bring those 2 games over to the Eshop they are more relevant especially since you can transfer them over, but still not that relevant. Those 2 wouldn't be brought back over a new character in my opinion.
This doesn't make sense either since they brought back a character such as ROB. ROB was only an accessory for a very old system. He is the least relevant thing of all. Nobody I know when ROB was a thing doesn't even know who he is. They already have the movesets for Ivysaur (as long as they do something to that Neutral-B) and Squirtle ready. Just adding a new special in place for that Down-B. It'd be a lot easier to add characters you've already finished than making more from scratch.

This doesn't make sense either since they brought back a character such as ROB. ROB was only an accessory for a very old system. He is the least relevant thing of all. Nobody I know when ROB was a thing doesn't even know who he is. They already have the movesets for Ivysaur (as long as they do something to that Neutral-B) and Squirtle ready. Just adding a new special in place for that Down-B. It'd be a lot easier to add characters you've already finished than making more from scratch.
They brought back G&W and they brought in Duck Hunt too. And Ike. You're talking about them bringing back veterans which is completely different since they were made and finished before launch. Veterans are always relevant when a new Smash game is announced and characters who were already in previous Smash games are immediately put on the table as to who might get in. Smash makes them relevant. DLC is a different story. Veterans are still put on the table, but now, and especially with Smash 4 with all of it's patches, it's more based on fans and what's new (Corrin for example). They even had a poll for the fans! I would love it if Nintendo brought in Ivysaur and Squirtle, but if they bring back the IC's and Wolf, then I do believe they'll want to make new character(s). 2 may be better than 1, but Nintendo might go for either pushing a franchise they have further into popularity (again Splatoon lol), or go with what more people want (K. Rool). Let's be honest the second we saw Charizard we knew Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't coming back. I want them to do it, I really do considering them we're only missing Snake who we also knew wasn't coming back but I just don't see it happening. Those 2 are a package deal as well. It's going to be easier than making a new character yes but if they make Ivysaur they have to make Squirtle and vice versa.

Hmm...I do remember hearing that Sakurai-san was contemplating making all characters available from the start in Smash 4. But he decided against it. Damn it! I was hoping I wouldn't have to endure unlock battles there.

Right...I've said this several times in the past, and I shall gladly reiterate. It would be nice if Sakurai-san and crew would make all characters available at the start in the theoretical Smash.

Hmm...I do remember hearing that Sakurai-san was contemplating making all characters available from the start in Smash 4. But he decided against it. Damn it! I was hoping I wouldn't have to endure unlock battles there.

Right...I've said this several times in the past, and I shall gladly reiterate. It would be nice if Sakurai-san and crew would make all characters available at the start in the theoretical Smash.
It takes like an hour at most! Just do 1 stock matches and die. This ain't Brawl where it takes 720 matches or something to unlock characters, or like Melee where you left your console on for hours to get Mewtwo. Simple and easy. Smash has always had unlockables, and I see no reason to change that now. I was always excited when I first got Brawl because I wanted to see all the characters and I remember saying, "Oh who's that!? What is THAT!? Is this a new stage!? IS THAT SNAKE IN A NINTENDO GAME!?" Maybe you relate, and maybe you don't, but you can't deny that Sm4sh was by far the easiest game in terms of unlocking all the characters and stages.

I sure hope not; there is a lot of people (including myself) who want Melee HD- and just HD, nothing changed but graphics. I don't know how possible that is, but it would be cool to see.
Edit: It would be nice to at the very least see a game (remake or new) with Melee mechanics, at the very least.
People overestimate their numbers. Competitive Smash is about 10% of the total amount of consumers who bought Smash, so I doubt that the demand for a Melee HD is big enough for Nintendo to seriously consider it. Add to that that from a business perspective it makes more sense to focus on Smash 4 which has more content and is more recent rather than an iteration that was released over 15 years ago; gameplay not withstanding.

Actually, since Sm4sh has nearly the same engine as Brawl and they did confirm they simply imported most Brawl characters over to it in their raw form anyway, I can easily see all of them returning, besides the last one (since Toon Link exists), but lots of people apparently love Pichu.
That's completely false. They never stated that they ported characters from Brawl, I don't know where you got that. What they confirmed was the opposite: they mentioned that built all their characters from the ground up, not ported them. You should do your research before speaking about the subject.

People overestimate their numbers. Competitive Smash is about 10% of the total amount of consumers who bought Smash, so I doubt that the demand for a Melee HD is big enough for Nintendo to seriously consider it. Add to that that from a business perspective it makes more sense to focus on Smash 4 which has more content and is more recent rather than an iteration that was released over 15 years ago; gameplay not withstanding.

That's completely false. They never stated that they ported characters from Brawl, I don't know where you got that. What they confirmed was the opposite: they mentioned that built all their characters from the ground up, not ported them. You should do your research before speaking about the subject.
This is why Melee HD won't be a thing. Why work on an outdated game to the average consumer (and especially kids), and not be able to make any changes when you can work on a game where the community highly encourages change and add ons? The answer is you don't, or at least not anywhere close to now. Wait a little bit so the Switch picks up some more steam and the more important games are taken care of. As for porting, Notshane might've confused what we said about veterans being able to be made easier because their moveset and such is already created and can be tweeked a little before added on. Wolf for example is like Lucas because Fox has Wolf like custom moves (or at least his side b which is spot on) so that's even easier.

Last edited:
I was expecting 4 or 6 new characters, i don't know if i was being a little too excited for it, but if they're only releasing 2 new characters i'm quite disappointed
Considering what Samurai and his team have done I wouldn't be disappointed at all. Just give us all the stages and the 2 veterans and maybe a new character. If thsy do do 6 that would be amazing, but they don't have too imo. I think 6 might also be a bit much for Wii U and 3DS users that yeah Nintendo might not care about but remember from April 2015-February of 2016 we got 7 DLC characters. Granted there was a pol but still that was almost a year and Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, and (I think) Roy were all being made before Smash 3DS launched.

New tournament legal stages are always welcome. Umbra Clock Tower was a nice attempt, but something more like Prism Tower or Arena Ferox would be great.

New tournament legal stages are always welcome. Umbra Clock Tower was a nice attempt, but something more like Prism Tower or Arena Ferox would be great.
Exactly. We get Yoshi's Island back too and I do believe DH will be legal again with these new stages. Also praying for a boss switch. Not only does it make stages 100 times better for tournament play, but just in playing with friends in general. Plus we no longer need Omega Palutena or FD with walls if we get the "switch" for Sm4sh on the Switch.

Source, please?

Top Bottom