• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash fighters you would rather have replaced

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
Replace Sheik with Impa and keep everything mostly the same. Keep sheik as an alt. Costume.
I like Impa as a reskin of Shiek. Given how popular Impa seems to be here, I suppose she should be the default. I like Impa too. Maybe she can also be an echo fighter of someone else. There's a Wii U mod that reskins Cloud as Impa.

Nobody would care about Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer if they hadn't been added to Smash. Those characters deserve to be Assist Trophies at most.
Game in Watch definately deserves to be here (in terms of notability). ROB is a funny one, but I wouldn't say inappropriate. Ice Climbers aren't very notable AFAIK but I like their uniqueness in Smash. I never really liked Duck Hunt & Wii Fit Trainer being added, and I almost suggested replacements for them, but they are notable in Nintendo's history. Perhaps there's a better way to reference Duck Hunt in Smash than as a fighter.

I am admittedly dissatisfied with Lucina's lack of changes, but I still want her here.
What do you think of my idea to replace Lucina with "Lucina & Chrom"? (See first post)

I want K. Rool in Smash too, but not at the cost of Bayonetta. She is legitimately a cool character. And Hat Goomba, really? I'm so glad people like you aren't in charge of the roster.
I think there are many, many people on this thread on on this forum that I would never want in charge. The "Smash Bros for Switch" forum used to be bloated with character suggestion threads, which were often quite ridiculous. I don't know if anyone noticed this guideline I wrote;
Try to go more towards what would have been an overall better roster, not just ultra-personal favourites. For example, replacing Kirby, Mario, Link, and Samus with the whole Starfox crew (because you love Starfox) would be way too personal. It's alright to stretch this one a little though.
I was trying to tell people not to suggest obscure personal favourites that would be inappropriate and weird for the rest of the player-base. But I really didn't need to tell people "It's alright to stretch this one a little though". I'm going to edit the guidelines, but I'm afraid it won't do much. Maybe my Tengu suggestion sent this thread in the wrong direction.

But really people. There must be other threads on these boards to discuss your "Dream Roster". I wanted this one to be for more realistic suggestions. Don't suggest anything here that you think would be bad for the Smash community, if it really did happen.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Game in Watch definately deserves to be here (in terms of notability). ROB is a funny one, but I wouldn't say inappropriate. Ice Climbers aren't very notable AFAIK but I like their uniqueness in Smash. I never really liked Duck Hunt & Wii Fit Trainer being added, and I almost suggested replacements for them, but they are notable in Nintendo's history. Perhaps there's a better way to reference Duck Hunt in Smash than as a fighter.
Nobody outside of video game historians even knew what G&W was before he appeared in Melee.

Frankly, Assist Trophies were MADE for characters like these. Esoteric references to games nobody remembers any more.

In fact, G&W should be MULTIPLE ATs, because each individual G&W game should be it's own AT.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Electric-Gecko Electric-Gecko
I honestly would rather she be separate though I am not opposed to Chrom's inclusion probably as a clone himself. Though, at this point I really want Lucina's signature idle pose which for whatever reason, they can't be bothered to implement. It really grates at me that they are so unwilling to declone her (and Dark Pit I guess, but I don't care as much about him) while giving others so many changes. Even Doc isn't considered a clone, and if you can declone Roy, you can declone Lucina.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh, a chance to clean up the roster!

:ultdoc:
Two Mario Characters Are missing. Captain Toad and Paper Mario.
I did not find it fair to use Daisy as a replacement above... so I will be in deficit one character at the moment.
:ultfalco::ultwolf:
I do still want Starfox characters (they all coulda been echoes, to me), but I would love Andross. And one character left. I will fill that deficit above.
:ultlucas:
See above for Echo of tomorrow. Here I have one extra point total!
:ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer:
Make the Trainer use his Pokeballs in a moveset based around capturing, and have his current 'mon be solo.
Cut the other three. I agree with Meowth getting in (or Team Rocket); but which Pokemon? Maybe Eevee...Raichu could have been a good clone but still seems a waste. Togepi would have been a more fitting baby Pokemon to use.
My final will be for Team Rocket and Eevee. Then the Pichu space for the Trainer to become separated.
:ultroy::ultlucina:
Cut one for Chibi Robo (needed) and one for an Advance Wars character. C'mon Intelligent Systems!
:ultsheik::ultyounglink:
Impa, long ago. If we stick to the series. I wouldnt have two baby Links... so... I have another extra point (two total)
:ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultpalutena:
These series dont need to have more, I dont think. Three more extra (five total)

I would possibly replace :ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultcloud: with Frogger, Banjo Kaooie, and Steve... but possibly just Bayonetta, for Frogger.

Okay. With those extra points. I will choose five more characters. First party by rule.
- K rool
- Dixie
- Balloon Fighter
All came to me easily... but if only two more first party... hmm... Im at a loss...

Shall it be Bandana Dee? Id rather a new series. How about Isaac? No that is personal bias. Chorus Kids? That could be fun. Am I missing a more important series or more important missing all-star?

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
Today I decided to try playing some characters that I wasn't too familiar with (in Smash), and evaluate their moveset. These were Dr Mario, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, & Wii Fit Trainer.

While Dr Mario & Duck Hunt are notable games, and I like Dr Mario (the game), it seems they couldn't figure out how to make them as Smash fighters. Even if a character is notable, they're not worth including if they don't work well as a Smash Bros fighter. Wii Fit Trainer was better than those two, although I don't really like her. Villager was better than I expected. Aside from villager being moderately high, none of these were great on the tier list.

I don't feel like Shiek should go, as she has a good moveset. But I haven't played any games with Impa besides Ocarina of Time, so I don't know if she can have the same abilities.

I'll post my updated roster replacements later. But I take back my suggestion for Tengu, unless if someone can come up with a decent moveset.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’ll give it a try

:ultsheik: - Impa. She has Appeared more and would probably play similarly
:ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: - I don’t really feel like we need 3 Links. Just replace them with 2 other popular/prominent Zelda character. My personal choices would be Skull Kid and Midna
:ultdarkpit: - Medusa. Even as a Palutena echo. She was in more games than Dark Pit, and is the series main antagonist
:ultdoc: - Paper Mario. Doc is just unnecessary. I mean now that Mario has costumes Doc could’ve just be one of those. Paper Mario is unique

Last edited:

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
There's so many characters on the roster that people only care about, or even KNOW about BECAUSE they were in Smash.

Nobody would care about Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer if they hadn't been added to Smash. Those characters deserve to be Assist Trophies at most.
I played Ice Climbers when I younger, and I was really happy when I found that they were in Smash. I was only casually playing at friends houses back when melee came out, so I never got a lot of time with them, and mostly just used Kirby because he was my 64 go to, but I was really happy that they had gotten in. I also played Duck Hunt, though I never would have imagined that it would be converted to a playable character. Wii Fit is an odd choice, but I love how silly it is, and I would have supported the idea just like how I would love to see the safety instructions guy become a character because of how silly it would be. Smash is supposed to be a fun game with silly and cool characters from all the Nintendo consoles and IPs, and I love it when they do things that are silly. I don't really play him, but this is part of why I like the way Villager was implemented. His dash attack is accidentally dropping a plant, it's great. Just because these characters don't mean anything to you, doesn't they didn't mean anything to anyone else either.

Your argument here only makes sense to me for Game & Watch, and R.O.B.. But at this point, they have become notable enough that it would be a hugely flawed idea to remove them. Every character, and I mean Every single one of them, is someone's favorite. In Sm4sh, I mained Palutina, and I did the best with her at my local tournament scene, but someone else in here doesn't like her.

If I were to replace anyone, it would only be the clone characters, but I would still want them as costumes/skins just like Alf, and the koopalings.
Dr. Mario - Waluigi, or Toad, or Birdo, or Pauline, or Geno, or Ashley (warioware). They're all from a Mario game.
Dark Pit - Viridi, or Medusa. They're both from Kid Icarus.
Lucina - Hector. I think an Axe wielder would be pretty cool.
Roy can actually stay his own character. He's not considered an echo in Ultimate either, so I'm leaving him. One of my old roommate's loved him.
Daisy can stay.

I don't care for Corrin, and apparently almost no one else does either, so even though I'm sure that some people love them, I would switch them for Lyn. If this isn't an option, then Switch Lucina for Lyn.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Well the completely original characters I wouldn’t even consider including would be:ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultike::ultpalutena::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: and I would have instead chosen K. Rool, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Kamek, Lip, any Rhythm Heaven character, Tails, Knuckles, Simon Belmont, and Banjo-Kazooie.

All 3 Mii Fighters would go too, and I’d instead have added a Rival Trainer that’d have all the counter choices to Red’s trio; Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise.
As for the characters added last-minute in their respective games,:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultroy::ultlucina::ultdarkpit:, I would have instead added - with as many different moves and/or properties as reasonably possible - Dry Bowser, Dixie Kong, Mimikyu, Mrs. Pac-Man, and Bass. Then I’d include Fire Mario as a pure echo with fire-imbued attacks just for the sake of it.

EDIT: I would actually give up Isaac and Dark Matter for :ultrosalina: and :ultwiifittrainer:. They aren't the best newcomers ever and I don't have any history with them, but I feel they at least offer something valuable for me.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultcorrin:-Hector
:ultdoc:-Waluigi
:ultyounglink:-Morpho (Water thing from the Water Temple)
:ultpichu:-:208:
:ultroy:-Lyn
:ultjigglypuff:-:112:
:ulttoonlink:-Tetra
:ultcloud:-Vivi (Chibi design from FF World)
:ultlucina:-Camilla
:ultdarkpit:-Hades

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wait, you want to replace a fighter with another fighter who's already in the game?

Grie

Smash Apprentice
This one is more controversial, and I'm not against the current version of Lucina, but my idea is to instead have a character named "Lucina & Chrom". Instead of Lucina as a clone of Marth, this would be a unique two-character fighter controlled like the ice climbers. It is a reference to the pair-up mechanic central to Fire Emblem Awakening. Also, Chrom is as important as Lucina in Awakening.
Wow this is briliant. Really like the idea and now I really want this to happen.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices (not very many)

Replace :ultdoc: with :ultkingdedede: (Melee) and Shadow (Game 4 onwards)

Keeping :ultsheik: and :ultzss: as transformation characters. :249: and Midna takes the spots (both for game 4 onwards). Also :ultwolf: is chosen over :ultpokemontrainer: for Game 4, but Pokémon Trainer will be back for ultimate.

Miis do not go into separate spots. Fawful and Dixie Kong gets in (Ultimate)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm just going to do this for fighters I though should have joined the roster earlier, not fighters who aren't in the game at all.

64:
Replace :ultfalcon: with :ultkingdedede:

Melee:
Replace :ultyounglink: with :ultwario:
Replace :ultdoc: with :ultmetaknight:
Replace :ultpichu: with :ultdiddy:
Replace :ultroy: with :ultridley:

*No cuts are made from Melee*

Brawl:
Replace :ultpit: with :ultkrool:
Replace :ultsnake: with :ultrosalina:
Replace :ultsonic: with :ultvillager:

*No cuts are made from Brawl

Smash 4:
Replace :ultlittlemac: with :ultdarksamus:
Replace :ultlucina: with :ultisabelle:
Replace :ultmegaman: with :ultpiranha:

Smash 4 DLC: :ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultbayonetta::ultsimon:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
64: replace :ultjigglypuff: with Togepi (similar to Jigglypuff, but a super heavy with standard jumps)

Melee: :ultsheik: with Unique :ultganondorf:, :ultgnw: with :ultkingdedede:, :ultdoc: with Mach Rider (:ultsamus:), :ultyounglink: with Birdo (:ultyoshi:), Clone :ultganondorf: with Black Shadow (almost exactly the same)

Brawl: :ultzss: with :ultridley:, :ultpokemontrainer: with a Hoenn Trainer (Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken), :ultkingdedede: with K.Rool, :ultwolf: with Semi-Clone :ultdarksamus:

Smash 4: :ultwiifittrainer: with Issac, :ultrosalina: with Bandana Dee, :4charizard: with Solo Grovyle, :ultlucina: with :ultchrom:(Ike Clone), :ultdarkpit: with Giygas (:ultmewtwo:), :ultcorrin:with Paper Mario

Ultimate: :ultridley: with Elma, :ultchrom: with Octoling (:ultinkling:), :ultdarksamus: with Felix (Issac), :ultkrool: with Midna, :ultincineroar: with Decidueye

UserKev

Smash Champion
Replace Young Link with Skull Kid. Replace Chrom with Lyn and replaced Pokémon Trainer with Mimikyu.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Replace . . .
  1. Bayonetta
  2. Bowser Jr.
  3. Cloud
  4. Corrin
  5. Dark Samus
  6. Doctor Mario
  7. Greninja
  8. Incineroar
  9. Isabelle
  10. Jigglypuff
  11. Joker
  12. Lucario
  13. Lucina
  14. Daisy
  15. Pichu
  16. Piranha Plant
  17. Dark Pit
  18. Pokémon Trainer
  19. Robin
  20. Rosalina & Luma
  21. Roy
  22. Chrom
  23. Ryu
  24. Ken
  25. Sheik
  26. Richter
  27. Toon Link
  28. Young Link
  29. Zero Suit Samus

. . . with . . .

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultdaisy: - Waluigi.
:ultyounglink: - Adult OOT Link.
:ultdarksamus: - Skull Kid.
:ultlucina: - Lyn.
:ultchrom: - Issac.
:ultpichu: - Plusle and Minum.
:ultpokemontrainer: - The (so far) Unnamed final evolution of Grookey.
:ultrichter: - Alucard.
:ultcloud: - Banjo and Kazooie.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my different version (the one above is the safe version)

Melee: Replace :ultdoc: with :ultkingdedede:, :ultyounglink: with Bio-Rex and :ultroy: with :249: (Roy will be an alternate costume for Marth)
Brawl: King Dedede returns and also:ulttoonlink: replaced with Midna
Game 4: :ultdoc: replaced by Shadow, :ultzss: replaced by return of :249:, :ultsheik: replaced by Krystal, :ultmiifighters: replaced by Dixie Kong, :ultcharizard: replaced by :ultwolf:, :ultroy: replaced by Skull Kid and Cloud replaced by Fawful (:ultzss: and :ultsheik: are still transformation characters)
Ultimate: :ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultpichu: and Bio-Rex all return. 2 Mii slots given to Ray-Man and Shantae. Replace :ultchrom: with Dark Meta Knight (Chrom is an alternate costume of Ike)

Update: Hero replaced by Steve

Last edited:

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
Replace Lucina for Lyn
Replace Rosalina for Waluigi
Replace Young Link or Toon Link for Skull Kid, fine with either.

I didn't count echos but I would have replaced Daisy for Waluigi instead of Rosalina, and I would have replaced Richter for Crash Bandicoot, Heihachi, Sora, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom