• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Confessions

Cestus

Smash Cadet
I was more than a year without playing with anyone, just doing combos in training and fighting a lvl 9 cp. Sometimes consumed some drugs and spent your days without sleep and still play.
Until I saved you. You're welcome.

-I brought Toast to his proclaimed least favorite map and matchup after winning the first game. Kirbz vs his Falcon on Peach's :D
-I just learned stick jump is higher that tap jump today.
-I have no real main and refuse to play only one character for too long although it's probably holding me back.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I find aa to be a good internet poster

there is a natural sensibility for posting (some 'sprezzatura'), and it's mellow and never toxic, and unlike many online people, doesn't feel the need to point out the unsaid ("where is my credit if I don't?") so maybe less pride?

it is like when you see someone doing something really well, but which is not, say, a practical skill, but has to do with charm, or body movement
which sometimes makes me want to stalk him elsewhere, to notice and catch a sensibility for myself

maybe it is the australian thing. people tend to exaggerate, but I once met a guy who said he never met an australian he didn't like (he met people around his age, and in a vacation or sth, not at in traffic or places where you're bound to dislike ppl)

as well as, not by chance, natural expression of language (bcow too, sometimes, but I just don't like his style as much) -- this is harder to notice on the internet, but generally irl people aren't elegant when expressing themselves, most times it's just efficient

I suspect the number of gay adjectives and observations have already extrapolated what is acceptable, thus making this a confession. but worrying about staying on topic is unadvised

oh, and kero is another good poster. one is wise insofar as one understands all there is to kero as a smashboards poster
one day, we'll all understand. yes, I too have hovered my mouse over the 'ignore user' once, but who hasn't? there is forgiveness

Sedda

Smash Champion
I find aa to be a good internet poster

there is a natural sensibility for posting (some 'sprezzatura'), and it's mellow and never toxic, and unlike many online people, doesn't feel the need to point out the unsaid ("where is my credit if I don't?") so maybe less pride?

it is like when you see someone doing something really well, but which is not, say, a practical skill, but has to do with charm, or body movement
which sometimes makes me want to stalk him elsewhere, to notice and catch a sensibility for myself

maybe it is the australian thing. people tend to exaggerate, but I once met a guy who said he never met an australian he didn't like (he met people around his age, and in a vacation or sth, not at in traffic or places where you're bound to dislike ppl)

as well as, not by chance, natural expression of language (bcow too, sometimes, but I just don't like his style as much) -- this is harder to notice on the internet, but generally irl people aren't elegant when expressing themselves, most times it's just efficient

I suspect the number of gay adjectives and observations have already extrapolated what is acceptable, thus making this a confession. but worrying about staying on topic is unadvised

oh, and kero is another good poster. one is wise insofar as one understands all there is to kero as a smashboards poster
one day, we'll all understand. yes, I too have hovered my mouse over the 'ignore user' once, but who hasn't? there is forgiveness
i think youre the best poster, and the content of your posts are always ridiculously varied.

you're like a nice bundle of world music.

<Fruity>

Smash Apprentice
- I hate losing to players I consider worse than me, due to my competitive personality.
- My fav char to play against is Mario.
- I don't respect players who try to gimp all the time.
- I don't think DL is the most balanced stage.
- I base players' skill on how good their ALL 12 CHARS are.

Cestus

Smash Cadet
- I hate losing to players I consider worse than me, due to my competitive personality.
- My fav char to play against is Mario.
- I don't respect players who try to gimp all the time.
- I don't think DL is the most balanced stage.
- I base players' skill on how good their ALL 12 CHARS are.
Everything but DL fully agreed. Almost everyone I play with on console has a gimp mentality, really annoying (Mario backthrow, jumping fireball, edgeguard, repeat.). Style and creativity is the reason I find smash so fun; as a falcon player, the annoyance is amplified. If I only cared about winning I would only play Pika and Kirby and cheese all day, but I don't. I also base players skill in having at least a few secondaries, some people don't enjoy playing as certain characters and I'm ok with that. Valuable points, man.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Everything but DL fully agreed. Almost everyone I play with on console has a gimp mentality, really annoying (Mario backthrow, jumping fireball, edgeguard, repeat.). Style and creativity is the reason I find smash so fun; as a falcon player, the annoyance is amplified. If I only cared about winning I would only play Pika and Kirby and cheese all day, but I don't. I also base players skill in having at least a few secondaries, some people don't enjoy playing as certain characters and I'm ok with that. Valuable points, man.
I also agree.

In the other hand, i hate Falcon players who do Upsmash > 6x uair > Up b > Repeat 5 times---

<Fruity>

Smash Apprentice

Some matchups on DL are terribly unbalanced. Overall, I think that Hyrule, and even PC, provide more balanced MU's (in general).

And yeah, f*** gimpers :smash:

Sedda

Smash Champion
my real confession about smash is that I don't like it when people complain about usmash and uair x6 and kirby utilt all the time and about gimping.

sometimes i joke about it, but if you don't want to get gimped, don't get grabbed

people complaining about something = people being bad at that one thing

Last edited:

<Fruity>

Smash Apprentice
my real confession about smash is that I don't like it when people complain about usmash and uair x6 and kirby utilt all the time and about gimping.

sometimes i joke about it, but if you don't want to get gimped, don't get grabbed

people complaining about something = people being bad at that one thing

I don't mind getting grabbed, the problem is that if you play that way, DL becomes f***** up for some chars that have hard recovery.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'd rather deal with a ****ty recovery situation (DL) than a ****ty approach situation (hyrule)

Sedda

Smash Champion
well falcon has a really crappy recovery relative to other characters anyway.

don't get me wrong. i do think that falcon gets too many freebies. he basically throws an up air out there and wins every time, but it's not like nintendo was thinking about that stuff when designing the game.

there's no use in complaining about it.

in fact, sometimes i feel kinda bad when i play against a falcon player who tries to style, but fails and i get to take a stock from them. it just tells me that that falcon player isn't trying as hard to win because maybe im not very good or whatever the reason is. i understand if you want to play for fun and stuff, and of course combos are cool, but the real fun of the game is not getting hit and figuring out strategies.

Shears

Smash Master
I hate when I get comboed. I hate when I lose a stock.

New Rules:
Only I am allowed to combo
Only I am allowed to take stocks
Only I am allowed to do damage
Only I am allowed to win

Everyone agree with this? I think this ruleset could be very effective.

Cestus

Smash Cadet
well falcon has a really crappy recovery relative to other characters anyway.

don't get me wrong. i do think that falcon gets too many freebies. he basically throws an up air out there and wins every time, but it's not like nintendo was thinking about that stuff when designing the game.

there's no use in complaining about it.

in fact, sometimes i feel kinda bad when i play against a falcon player who tries to style, but fails and i get to take a stock from them. it just tells me that that falcon player isn't trying as hard to win because maybe im not very good or whatever the reason is. i understand if you want to play for fun and stuff, and of course combos are cool, but the real fun of the game is not getting hit and figuring out strategies.
Definitely with you on this. The point I was making is I don't like when players only try gimping strategies because it doesn't take much skill and kind of robs the game of the depth that I love so much. I'm bored by a player that only tries to go for a grab or whatever it may be and has no variation. I'll be the first to admit I need work on countering these things, that's just where I am right now; but it's the principle more than the practice that I'm talking about. By no means is the playstyle OP or inherently unfair; like I said I could just counterpick that and it wouldn't be a problem. Love a good old scrap with a solid Mario though, very fun matchup.

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah i think gimping gets a bad rep. there are a lot of times when you actually have to read or pressure your opponent to choose a certain option within their recovery to gimp successfully. backthrowing alone doesn't guarantee anything.

this is why i personally enjoy playing LD whenever possible. he's really tricky with his recovery and he's always very aware of the opponent's options off stage, so he tries to cover everything with Fox. If you're better in the neutral but aren't good at recovering/edgeguarding and youre dropping games because of it, there's nobody to blame but yourself

Cestus

Smash Cadet
yeah i think gimping gets a bad rep. there are a lot of times when you actually have to read or pressure your opponent to choose a certain option within their recovery to gimp successfully. backthrowing alone doesn't guarantee anything.

this is why i personally enjoy playing LD whenever possible. he's really tricky with his recovery and he's always very aware of the opponent's options off stage, so he tries to cover everything with Fox. If you're better in the neutral but aren't good at recovering/edgeguarding and youre dropping games because of it, there's nobody to blame but yourself
Hence why I said I need to work on it, the blame is mine because he is succeeding. Like I said, just talking about this one case of gimping Falcon in the same way and over, only going for that grab. I'm not getting rekt, it's not impossible to get out of, and the exploitation of the matchup isn't impressive to me, it's boring and not fun. I don't think 0-deaths are any more fun if they are free enough but, in this specific case, it's just caring more about winning than enjoying the game by actually scrapping with your opponent.

In general, I think gimps do take more skill because none of it is a combo or free; however, the gimp-only mentality is the thing I disagree with. If you're gimping someone like Pika or Kirby, I have some respect because that takes work. Against Falcon, not so much. I am not blaming him for my needed work on recovering but instead his lack of respect for the other aspects of the game. Maybe moreover, I'm butthurt that he is the only person I can play with on console on any sort of consistency and doesn't play well in many other aspects. I want to get better at all parts of the game but if I wanted to practice recovering I would just stay home and play someone online where I don't need the lagless practice. At the same time, he isn't getting better at jack **** because he isn't trying to improve at those aspects. Probably too specific of a circumstance to properly discuss in on the boards, whatever.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I disagree with that. Why would I change something about my playstyle against someone specific if gimping works 100% of the time?

That "winning" mentality is actually good in your scenario. Once you find a way around gimps, the person you play against will have to find a workaround to start beating you again... just like you did against him = you will both develop.

Also, your mentality is pretty surprising coming from a Falcon player. The complaints that you have are exactly the same type of complaints that people have about Falcon (uair x 6 up b).

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
gimping is ok, doing standards is ok, playing to win in serious matches is alright
practicing certain aspects until you feel you have it 100% down is ok
complaining about certain play style/characters in friendlies is ok
only knowing how to do 1 thing but never learning something new is not ok,
complaining about anything in serious matches is not ok
being a ***** is not ok

best skill is being able to make any hit into a killing opportunity, be it a combo or a gimp. some gimps are easy, some gimps are hard. some combos are easy, some combos are hard

ur all ez

Cestus

Smash Cadet
I disagree with that. Why would I change something about my playstyle against someone specific if gimping works 100% of the time?

That "winning" mentality is actually good in your scenario. Once you find a way around gimps, the person you play against will have to find a workaround to start beating you again... just like you did against him = you will both develop.

Also, your mentality is pretty surprising coming from a Falcon player. The complaints that you have are exactly the same type of complaints that people have about Falcon (uair x 6 up b).
You assume it works 100% of the time, I'm just saying he tries it 100% of the time. Why would he change it up? To improve on what he so obviously lacks which is neutral game and combos. Again, not slamming gimping or winning strategies for the sake of their success, but just my one residual salt pile from this specific instance.

As far as my Falcon perspective, I have played against Boom and seen the light of truly impressive combos, so the up-Airs to UpB is a bit boring to me as well. I'm sure I'd have just as much issue with someone who only did the exact same combo all day. I'll admit my butthurt is partially principle and partially frustration with myself, which is in turn the manifestation of my desire to improve. If I was totally ok with being backthrow gimped only I would not aspire to overcome it.

gimping is ok, doing standards is ok, playing to win in serious matches is alright
practicing certain aspects until you feel you have it 100% down is ok
complaining about certain play style/characters in friendlies is ok
only knowing how to do 1 thing but never learning something new is not ok,
complaining about anything in serious matches is not ok
being a ***** is not ok

best skill is being able to make any hit into a killing opportunity, be it a combo or a gimp. some gimps are easy, some gimps are hard. some combos are easy, some combos are hard

ur all ez
^Fully agreed.

Annex

Smash Ace
Guys why do you complain about gimps and 02deaths and play2win on the internet
I don't think you get anything out of it and nobody's gonna change because of your special angry paragraph

Cestus

Smash Cadet
Guys why do you complain about gimps and 02deaths and play2win on the internet
I don't think you get anything out of it and nobody's gonna change because of your special angry paragraph
I'm not angry, thought everyone made some good points. I got some perspective out of it and I think that once my friend starts being unable to grab/ gimp me, he will find fun in adapting and improving his playstyle as well. It's a positive thing in a shell of frustration :)

Annex

Smash Ace
Annex pls

nobody is angry. I'm pretty sure we're just discussing different points of view
I'm not angry, thought everyone made some good points. I got some perspective out of it and I think that once my friend starts being unable to grab/ gimp me, he will find fun in adapting and improving his playstyle as well. It's a positive thing in a shell of frustration :)
NO UR MAD
nah you're right :)
I just don't want to discuss it and couldn't see why other people could want to aside from them being delusional about the effect their opinion could have on others
you know
cuz I'm a *****

The Star King

Smash Hero
Cognitive dissonance

people want to justify to themselves losing to certain people and so say how stuff like pika/kirby/gimping takes so much less #trueskill which is why they're actually secretly totally better than that guy they keep losing to because he uses "cheap!!1!1" tactics

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
as someone who comes from melee/brawl i think gimping in 64 is pretty impressive

Top Bottom