• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Charge Canceling

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Smash charge canceling isnt horrible, but should only be cancellable until a certain amount of charging. What really needs to be cancellable though, is C falcon and GD's neutral B's.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
But...but...when you start screaming out "FALCON!" how can you not finish it off with a "PAWNCH!" I don't think it's possible to cancel mid punch...unless you could cancel into the Falcon Kick, where screaming "KiiicK" might be justified.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
So like, start a PAWNCH and crouch cancel into a KICK? XD

Anyways, I don't see anything wron with Smash Charge Canceling if implemented correctly. As stated, it could be made so that you either trip or suffer a bit ending lag by canceling the charge. That way, you don't have AS MUCH risk, but you don't have any reward.

n88

Smash Lord
Maybe if you canceled, Falcon could yell "You suck!" to compensate for cancelling out the PAWNCH.

Canceling smashes could be good but as 5.5 pages of people have said before me, it must be balanced.
So to offset this, people have suggested:

1. Damage taken by canceller
2. Canceller has a chance of tripping
3. Reduced Shield

I like the reduced shield idea best.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
God, Amen to this. Though I even know people who tried it and didn't like it!

What's even worse is people that regularly switch between the two. I am not sure whether to deep admiration or deep horror for these people. I could never go back.

Wing
I go back between the two often since lets face it vbrawl is still what the tournaments are. As much as i love brawl+ im not going to stop going to tournaments.

Now once(if) the brawl+ scene does in fact get big enough to have a decent sized turnout for tournaments on the regular then i might quit vbrawl.

Slashy

Smash Lord
It should be a heavily reduced shield so it is used sparingly.

Now we just need to get this to the coders.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
It should be a heavily reduced shield so it is used sparingly.

Now we just need to get this to the coders.
No. It just should be punishable if they predict it. Just like WD, give it a few frames of lag.

But whatever, no one has coded anything right now, and it doesn't seem like no one is working on it, so...

James177

Smash Rookie
So basically, you're going to give MK a dsmash that's just that much harder to punish?

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps part of the balancing of this technique would be to make the increased knockback someone takes when hit while charging even more powerful, meaning that now that opponents have a means of stopping the charge they must take advantage of it to avoid bad punishment.

The coders are understandably busy with other things in Brawl+ right now.

I would imagine that coding this, however wouldn't be too much trouble.

If in charging animation, and a player presses L, player action is modified to standing animation with 3 frames of stun (or whatever is decided on) before they can do anything.

Note that, because of the added lag a player has when cancelling, a Metaknight player would not gain an advantage with its down smash, which already comes out in 3 frames IIRC.

Slashy

Smash Lord
This can add more depth by promoting more mindgames. It encourages the use of charged smashes.

kupo15

Smash Hero
The way this should work if anything is to go right into the ending lag of the move like how illusion canceling works

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
This could make charging Smashes useful and buff mindgame potential.
I haven't looked at the whole thread yet (probably should), but dashing out of a smash attack, followed up by whatever would be pretty sexy, I won't lie. Imagine the mind game potential, lol. I like the idea.

Definitely reminiscent of SFIV, though.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I haven't looked at the whole thread yet (probably should), but dashing out of a smash attack, followed up by whatever would be pretty sexy, I won't lie. Imagine the mind game potential, lol. I like the idea.

Safety System/Focus Attacks from SFIV were the inspiration for this technique.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice

This. If you could cancel smashes into something between waveland- SFIV focus cancels into dashes, it would become not only a mindgame option, but also a spacing tool.

Just make the character move a short distance (a lot shorter than Brawl wavedash), give it some frames where you can't do anything, and that's it. You shouldn't be able to cancel the smash instantly though, to limit its uses. You would need to have been charging the smash some frames before you can cancel it.

Again, it might or it might not work, but there are sadly no hackers available -.-'

jalued

Smash Lord
why is this thread still open? cancelling sharged smashes would only make the game more defensive (which it really doesnt need). kupos idea about endlag is good, but this whole thing is not really needed. only thing that should be cancelable is ganons uptilt :p

Top Bottom