• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's how I see it.

Smash has 3 definite females, with Jigglypuff being a potential, Nana being a half and Samus and Zelda technically being two (Don't get me started on Sheik's gender issues.) for a total of 6.5 playable females, 6.8 if playing the Japanese version of PKM trainer.

But of all of them, only Samus is a main protagonist. (Nana too but shares the role with Popo). With Peach and Zelda, they seem to fit this pattern:

1. Protagonist (Mario, Link)
2. Side-Protagonist (Luigi, Other Link)
3. Female (Peach, Zelda)
4. Villain (Bowser, Ganondorf)

If other series were to follow this pattern it may look something like this.

Earthbound: Ness, Lucas, Paula/Kumatora, Masked Man
Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf
Kid Icarus: Pit, Magnus/Dark Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit/Hades/whatever.
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike/Roy/New Guy, Lyn, Black Knight/Other villain
Sonic (because why not): Sonic, Tails/Knuckles, Amy/Blaze, Shadow

I'm having a hard time thinking of Nintendo games where the protagonist was a woman outside of Metroid. Best I can think of is Lip from Panel de Pon and if we really clutch at straws, Bayonetta. Am I missing any?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You can add Adeline for Kirby series. :laugh:

Also, Zoroark from the movie is a female.

EDIT: Ashley and Mona from WarioWare as well.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Captain Syrup from the Wario Land series.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a hard time thinking of Nintendo games where the protagonist was a woman outside of Metroid. Best I can think of is Lip from Panel de Pon and if we really clutch at straws, Bayonetta. Am I missing any?
Jill (Drill Dozer), Alice (Balloon Kid - sequel to Balloon Fight), Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness), Barbara (Band Brothers), Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), Ashley (Another Code), Peach (Super Princess Peach), and the selectable female Pokemon trainers in every Pokemon game since Crystal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Jill (Drill Dozer), Alice (Balloon Kid - sequel to Balloon Fight), Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness), Barbara (Band Brothers), Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), Ashley (Another Code), Peach (Super Princess Peach), and the selectable female Pokemon trainers in every Pokemon game since Crystal.
Thanks. Of them Jill and Alice seems to have the most playable potential. I'm not sure how Alexandra and Ashley would fight but it'd be entertaining to see. If there is a second Pokemon trainer they'd proly be female to make the character more distinct. And Peach is already in the game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
People want Dixie Kong, ok so she was in some of the DKC games, what about K.Rool? the main villain of the series would be much more deserving of a third DKC rep then her. Not to mention DKC isn't a big franchise so adding more reps is going to be tougher.
Someone's already addressed this right?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we get more girls they should be really sexy girls in high heels and chainmail bikini's and junk

volbound1700

Smash Master
Half the characters are animals, I don't really believe they think about characters based on race, gender, etc when they create them or put them into Smash. Now Peach and Zelda are the typical damsel in distress archetypes but that was common in video games during the era they came into existence (late 1980s)

D

Deleted member

I think Zelda is enough for me if she keeps her Sheik transformation.

The females I support are Micaiah, Robin (since they can be either gender), Palutena, Captain Syrup, Mona, Lucina, Zoroark, Female PKMN Trainer (any gen, probably Hilda more so), Impa, Krystal, Kachi, Karis, and Mii (since they can be either gender)

A few of those could easily get in

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
With how diverse the cast is (1 robot; at least 4 characters of ambiguous gender; quite a number of animals, some anthro and others not; humans; humanoids; fictional human races; monsters; aliens; sentient plants, etc), I think that the concern of proportionately representing real-world demographics such as race and gender are the last thing on the developers' minds. The goal of the game is to provide a character selection composed of Nintendo's most important characters, not appease every demographic under the sun. What's R.O.B. pandering too? Nothing but Nintendo fans, really.

With that in mind, I do support some female newcomers. Namely, Dixie Kong and Tetra (and/or Toon Zelda). I wouldn't be opposed to a number of third-party ladies either, but because of importance rather than gender.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
importance is all that really matters. if they happen to be female, great. but adding a character because of their gender is a bad idea cause we wanna play our fav characters. only females i think have a really good shot are Palutena, Tetra/Toon Zelda, Impa, and maybe Dixie, Lyn or Zoroark. those are really the only ones i could see making it

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wouldn't mind if the next Smash game had more females or characters of another race and stuff like that, in fact I'm all for it. But it's not a priority in terms of gameplay. One way that I look at it, lets say can we only get one new female character in Smash 4, who has a really cool moveset, or we can get three new female characters with lackluster moves or they have a terrible gimmick that makes them kinda annoying to use. Would you rather have one really cool female or three "meh" ones?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For another thread someone suggested Super Bash Sister and I went ahead and threw together a cast list

Mario: Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Birdo
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, Candy Kong
Wario: Mona, Ashley
Zelda: Zelda/Sheik, ToonZelda/Tetra
Pokemon: Female Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, Meloetta
Star Fox: Krystal
Fire Emblem: Lyn, Michica, Lucina
Kirby: Kirby (they never did establish that thing's gender did they?), Adeline, Drawcica
F-Zero: Jody Summers
Metroid Samus (Duh)
Earthbound: Paula, Kumatora
Ice Climber: Ice Climbers (with Nana in lead by default)
Game and Watch: Ms. Game and Watch?
Pikmin: That Female Captain from Pikmin 3
Metal Gear: Meryl, The Boss
Sonic: Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa, Veridi and Pit, absolutely baffled that such a thing exists (Hey, always a token guy in these things.)

I was pleasantly surprised to get over 30 females (Pit, Kirby, and G&W non-withstanding) even when I didn't include Mario RPG females. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but I thought it was interesting.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Kid Icarus and WarioWare hold the most viable female newcomers left imo. I think we have a better chance at seeing Pit, Palutena, Medusa, than any other combinartion. IF we got three KI characters that is.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mario has some strong ones (although not popular) with Toadette, Daisy, Rosalina, and even Gombella.

Dixie Kong is also still a widely known female character.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
BIG TEXT BLOCK and then this:

People want Dixie Kong, ok so she was in some of the DKC games, what about K.Rool? the main villain of the series would be much more deserving of a third DKC rep then her. Not to mention DKC isn't a big franchise
WHOA. I just can't let this go, guys.

Let's nevermind the fact that Dixie is one of the most recognizable female protagonists in video game history, or the fact that the games she played a major, starring role in were incredible successes. (Y'know, because until Pokemon came around, DKC was Nintendo's SECOND HIGHEST selling franchise.) I agree that we should have K. Rool first, but Smash needs Dixie in, preferably after K. Rool for the following reasons:

1. Smash is a gigantic sausage fest. Arguably at least 32 of the characters are male. Brawl is a game with 39. That's not a very good sex-equivalence ratio. Dixie is sausage-free.

2. It's a good way to pull in more potential female gamers, particularly those who always gravitate towards the female character. Or Pikachu. (Come on, you know it happens. When was the last time your not-video game-savvy girlfriend picked Donkey Kong?)

3. Characters like Dixie and Palutena (Palutena is essentially the second main character of KI. Why did we have Diddy before K. Rool? That's why.) are incredibly deserving and popular, as well as iconic in their own right. (Palutena's getting there.) Why not have them?

4. Because Dixie is awesome.

I'd also like to point out that DKC is still the 4th highest selling Nintendo franchise, almost rivaling LoZ. Not a big franchise...right.

I also find your last bit about FE characters cry-worthy. Why would Lyn be a more iconic, deserving choice than Dixie? (If anybody really has a problem with this statement, message me. FE debates are too commonly overtaking threads.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fire Emblem also has reoccurring female Anna who was make playable for the first time in Awakening so if someone plays the siginificance card against any FE females, there you go.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I personally would like to see Dixie partnered with Diddy like Sakurai originally envisioned. I think it could work without compromising Diddy's excellent Brawl moveset too much.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
BIG TEXT BLOCK and then this:

WHOA. I just can't let this go, guys.

Let's nevermind the fact that Dixie is one of the most recognizable female protagonists in video game history, or the fact that the games she played a major, starring role in were incredible successes. (Y'know, because until Pokemon came around, DKC was Nintendo's SECOND HIGHEST selling franchise.) I agree that we should have K. Rool first, but Smash needs Dixie in, preferably after K. Rool for the following reasons:

Lara croft and Samus are leagues out of dixies recognizability. And besides she hasnt had an appearance since the SNES.

1. Smash is a gigantic sausage fest. Arguably at least 32 of the characters are male. Brawl is a game with 39. That's not a very good sex-equivalence ratio. Dixie is sausage-free.

This was part of the point of this topic. I don't see why the ratio should matter. Dont just put girls in because it needs more... make them earn a spot. I wouldn't mind if Shantae was able to make an appearance, but i dont know much about her.

2. It's a good way to pull in more potential female gamers, particularly those who always gravitate towards the female character. Or Pikachu. (Come on, you know it happens. When was the last time your not-video game-savvy girlfriend picked Donkey Kong?)

No its not, if a gamer is of any gender is actually a gamer they won't care who they play as. And no girl is going to buy the game for the inclusion of Dixie.

3. Characters like Dixie and Palutena (Palutena is essentially the second main character of KI. Why did we have Diddy before K. Rool? That's why.) are incredibly deserving and popular, as well as iconic in their own right. (Palutena's getting there.) Why not have them?

Same reason there is no Dixie, shes irrelevant. Diddy has more recent appearances. Palutena was super dead until KI:U. as for ss4? count on another KI

4. Because Dixie is awesome.

Eh, I preferred tiny kong from DK64.

I'd also like to point out that DKC is still the 4th highest selling Nintendo franchise, almost rivaling LoZ. Not a big franchise...right.

It was big, until its revival, SNES was the Last DKC game. That is not a strong enough series to get 4 reps.

I also find your last bit about FE characters cry-worthy. Why would Lyn be a more iconic, deserving choice than Dixie? (If anybody really has a problem with this statement, message me. FE debates are too commonly overtaking threads.)
The Girls in FE are strong and can actually do things, which is more than 80% of the current female cast. a female melee brawler? That needs to be in the game. They all have stupid distance moves. A sword wielding girl is a must.
Have any comments? Feel free to respond.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Have any comments? Feel free to respond.
Oh. You're one of those relevancy people, or one of the early birds from the E3 incoming storm. Either way, you seem to have a great deal of bias, and alot of suppositions.

1. If you'll notice, Diddy also didn't appear until Brawl, and his last appearance was Donkey Konga 2, a spinoff, in 2003. After which, he began to appear everywhere. It's an easily refuted common counterpoint. Dixie appeared as lately as 2008, in Super Sluggers. She also played a role in the relatively recent DK Paon games, which K. Rool also played the villain's role in. K. Rool too appared in Super Sluggers. Neither of those characters is irrelevant, and if they are irrelevant right now, they're about as irrelevant as Diddy was before Brawl. I see no problem here.

2. Lara Croft isn't a Nintendo character, and she's never been one. Her recognizability is not relevant to this discussion, considering Dixie isn't competing with her.

3. "The girls in FE are strong." Well Ness and Lucas are psy-powered youths, who have the power to create and destroy. That doesn't stop them from being lower tier than a couple of mountain climbers. "A sword wielding girl is a must" According to your entire thread, it could just be another male and it wouldn't matter. Also, Dixie wouldn't be a "distance" character, nor is Palutena guaranteed to be one.

4. I wasn't talking about "gamers" (Also, the word is sex. Gender is social. I'm an Anthropologist, sue me.) I was talking about someone's not-video game savvy girlfriend. In my experience, they're more inclined to pick the female characters. Forgive my judgement, but you seem to have misread this (intentionally?)

5. The "DK(C) Series" includes the DKC trilogy, DKCR, DK64, Jungle Beat, Konga, and the Paon trilogy. That's a ton of games, and the argument shouldn't be made that it doesn't deserve 4 reps, if Star Fox has 3. Also, my point was that it's still the 4th highest selling, not whatever "biggest" means.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
For another thread someone suggested Super Bash Sister and I went ahead and threw together a cast list

Mario: Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Birdo
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, Candy Kong
Wario: Mona, Ashley
Zelda: Zelda/Sheik, ToonZelda/Tetra
Pokemon: Female Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, Meloetta
Star Fox: Krystal
Fire Emblem: Lyn, Michica, Lucina
Kirby: Kirby (they never did establish that thing's gender did they?), Adeline, Drawcica
F-Zero: Jody Summers
Metroid Samus (Duh)
Earthbound: Paula, Kumatora
Ice Climber: Ice Climbers (with Nana in lead by default)
Game and Watch: Ms. Game and Watch?
Pikmin: That Female Captain from Pikmin 3
Metal Gear: Meryl, The Boss
Sonic: Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa, Veridi and Pit, absolutely baffled that such a thing exists (Hey, always a token guy in these things.)

I was pleasantly surprised to get over 30 females (Pit, Kirby, and G&W non-withstanding) even when I didn't include Mario RPG females. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but I thought it was interesting.
Meloetta is genderless. :troll:

Just give me Palutena, Dixie, Zoroark, Mona, Medusa, and Daisy (few can be DLC). That should satisfy me real good.

D

Deleted member

I don't give a rat's ass if a character is male, female, genderless, unisex, etc.
Just as long as the character deserves it. Having a vagina doesn't automatically make a character more deserving.

I don't give a rat's *** if a character is male, female, genderless, unisex, etc.
Just as long as the character deserves it. Having a vagina doesn't automatically make a character more deserving.
No, it doesn't

But there are a lot of characters that do and are important, popular, etc enough to deserve it

D

Deleted member

No, it doesn't

But there are a lot of characters that do and are important, popular, etc enough to deserve it
That's another problem; many people overstate the importance of the characters, and more often that not, it's hidden depths of "they have a vagina".

Take Krystal's fanbase; they seem to think that Krystal is the most important Star Fox character not yet playable (and some even dare to argue that she is more important than Falco or Wolf), and it stems from being a "love interest".
When in reality, both Slippy and Peppy are more important to the series than she is, and Andross is really the most important character not yet added and may be the only one that can be claimed to be more important than Falco or Wolf.

That's another problem; many people overstate the importance of the characters, and more often that not, it's hidden depths of "they have a vagina".

Take Krystal's fanbase; they seem to think that Krystal is the most important Star Fox character not yet playable (and some even dare to argue that she is more important than Falco or Wolf), and it stems from being a "love interest".
When in reality, both Slippy and Peppy are more important to the series than she is, and Andross is really the most important character not yet added and may be the only one that can be claimed to be more important than Falco or Wolf.
Basically, but I guess it depends on the character

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need to get Team Ninja to help with this game and implement breast physics

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't know what it is with fighting games and female characters that make people go crazy lol

I mean, yeah, there are a lot of good characters of the fairer sex that would be nice to see in Smash, but I just don't see the need in having more characters of a specific type, female or otherwise

It's like, if you want to go that route, why not say, "Hey, we need more black people in Smash" or something

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Arcana Hearts come to mind as an all female traditional fighter. Though we all know moe just the appeal of the games anyway.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
@ Metal Overlord

Anthony Higgs is the man for the job.

We need to get Team Ninja to help with this game and implement breast physics
Team Ninja needs to stay far away from Star Fox. Now Platinum on the other hand...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@ Metal Overlord

Anthony Higgs is the man for the job.

Team Ninja needs to stay far away from Star Fox. Now Platinum on the other hand...
Ooh, I didn't even think of that.

Krystal with breast physics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom