• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm giving everyone perfect scores*, as it was my birthday Friday and i'm feeling generous :troll:

*=No, i'm not REALLY giving everyone perfect scores. You gotta work for them perfects, my Yoshi-in-training =P

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Dang it. First round I missed in years. I'll definitely be here for the next one! (Which should be Miiverse >_>)
See:
Indeed. They were found in the game's files.

They included...

Mario Paint Medley
Wii Shop Channel/Mii Plaza
Mii Channel
Nintendoland Medley
Main Plaza (Nintendoland) (Original)
Dark Lord
Save the World, Heroes!
Tomodacchi Life

Mostly stuff from the 3DS version.
We were gonna do it last round but...

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Results are here, yay! But before we declare the winner, let's take a look at the judges' scores:

Swampasaur
Importance: 10/10
Popularity: 9/10
Variety: 8/10
Fit: 9/10

Total: 36/40
3 Bowser-related tracks, and a 4th boss theme on top of it! I like Bowser as much as the next guy, but 3 songs out of 8 is a bit much when the stage is more about Yoshi. In addition, Flipside was a bold choice, but I dunno if it fits the mood. Beyond that, all the songs all sound unique and fit the stage well enough.
:4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi:
Game&Watcher
Variety: 10/10

Total: 38/40
Using the Fortune Street remix of the Yoshi's Island theme was an awesome choice, and Theme C was an unexpected success. However, I do have to knock points off for the New Island track's popularity.
XenoBrawler610

Sky Area was a PERFECT MATCH! I also appreciate using the Baby Bowser theme, but the two Paper Mario songs don't really seem to fit to me. Maybe something else from Yoshi's Story could've worked.
theTRUEchamp

Let's start with the not-as-great: Using not one but 4 songs that were already in Smash Bros. is kiiinda eh. Beyond that though, the other songs you showed were gold. Cookie-Type A works perfectly, and the Partners in Time boss theme is a nice choice that's bouncy enough to keep up with Smash Bros.' fast pace while still being silly enough to fit the mood of it being a Yoshi stage. I just wish you could've used something other than the ending theme from Yoshi's Story, or maybe something from Touch & Go.

Swampasaur
Fit: 10/10

Total: 39/40

I really... I really love this tracklist. It's just really good. All of the songs fit the stage very well. I deducted a point from popularity simply for the obscurity of the Yoshi's Cookie track, but that's really me stretching for any kind of criticism. I've got nothing else to say but glorious.
Game&Watcher
Importance: 8/10
Popularity: 8/10
Fit: 8/10

Total: 34/40

Most of these tracks fit well with the stage but I can't help but feel like the "Yoshi" Theme C and "Partners in Time" Boss Battle Song just don't fit at all, neither of which are also important or popular. I feel like they're rather strange choices for this stage, too urgent feeling. Otherwise a very good list of tracks!
XenoBrawler610
Importance: 9/10

Overall very well done. The final two tracks are still probably a little too urgent/upbeat for this stage, so the Fit category kind of took a bit of a hit. A couple of these are a little obscure-ish so Importance and Popularity got docked a bit but still definitely a good list. Thank you for turning me onto the Koopa Canyon song, though, I really enjoyed it. Sky Area was a stroke of genius as well.
theTRUEchamp

Seriously the only reason I deducted a point from this tracklist is the Partners in Time song. as I mentioned before, I feel like this particular song is a little too urgent feeling for this stage. Maybe I'm wrong though since it was chosen by multiple people. But, as the stage's designer I get final say, so there? I guess? Then again I just made my own tracklist based on other games's tower themes... Anyhoo. Back on track. Everything works great except for the Partners in Time track. I enjoyed the Baby Bowser remix as well. Well done!

Swampasaur
Fit:8/10

All in all, a really well rounded setlist. The variety of soft and heavy songs were nice. But I found the music box to be just a little too soft, and Bowser’s theme was a bit too menacing for Tall Tower. Flipside was an excellent choice!
Game&Watcher

Total: 35/40

A great setlist overall. However, I found the Underground Theme just didn’t really fit with Tall Tower. Hotfoot Hurdle (which honestly reminded me of SpongeBob) and the Title Screen were great additions.
XenoBrawler610

As I said before, I found that Baby Bowser’s theme was just a bit too heavy for Tall Tower. But everything else made a solid setlist! The two Mario RPG songs were great choices, especially considering Lineland Road pays tribute to the game where Yoshi debuted.
theTRUEchamp
Importance 8/10

As mentioned before, Baby Bowser’s theme was just too heavy for Tall Tower.. But your other selections were great.

This game's winner is... @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei ! Congratulations, your prize is your very own Super Happy Tree! You can thank me la-wait.

what

It's gone! Curse you, Baby Bowser!

Results:
Swampasaur: 111/120
Game&Watcher: 107/120
XenoBrawler610: 108/120
theTRUEchamp: 109/120

And now, announcements!
From here on out, we're instating a fun little section of the grading results called "Judges' Picks". These are NOT part of the contest nor should they be counted in any attempts at archival. Instead, these are just a song or two each judge picks at the end of the round to be what they wanted for the stage, should it have actually been in Smash Bros. proper. Again, this is isn't "Let's tell you what songs you SHOULD'VE used", it's merely "Here's a song we would like to see on this stage". Not every judge needs to pick a song, this is purely in the interest of fun.
- TechPowah

And now, the second announcement - We've been chatting about, and we figured we should ask you: Should we also do the stages from past Smash Bros. games that HAVE NOT been revisited in later entries? These only apply to the stages that have only been seen in 1 game, and not used again as a past stage. Even certain stages from Brawl count in this instance, as not every stage in that game had enough songs to fully complete the 8-song list.

I've made a Straw Poll for this question, here <EDIT: Poll has ended.>!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually won something?

I....

WOAH!

I feel so honored!

As for new rounds? I prefer we get new stages like Tall Tower.

D

Deleted member

Good job to everyone that participated! Congrats Swampsaur!

As for new rounds, I prefer new stages as well. Though, I wouldn't mind returning to areas like Fourside or Hyrule Castle 64 for instance.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
For the record, the official one-off stages would not be replacing fan stages at all. This is simply to ask if you want to also do one-offs in addition to the fan stages.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You know what'd be a good past stage for this?
Fountain of Dreams.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
IT'S TIME.

Round Twenty-four: Fourside <Melee>
Universe: MOTHER/EarthBound
Game of Origin: EarthBound <SNES, 1994> (Stage debut: Super Smash Bros. Melee <GC, 2001>)

Ness, Paula and Jeff get out of that heatstroke death trap of a desert to reach the bustling city of Fourside, in search of the fourth "Your Sanctuary" for the Sound Stone. Maybe they can get some help from Mayor Monotoli? Say "fuzzy pickles"!

This stage contains the following tracklist that must be kept between all CSTs:
Name:
Fourside <Arrangement Name: EarthBound>
Universe: MOTHER/EarthBound
Game of Origin: EarthBound <SNES, 1994; Arr. Origin: Super Smash Bros Melee (GC, 2001)>
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8q9aCxw0g

Your judges for this round are:
:4villager: Myself, @ TechPowah TechPowah :4villager:
:4ness: @ L LF2K :4ness:
:ivysaur: @ Kevandre Kevandre :ivysaur:

Ready? Steady? GO!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Umm...
Can we use songs that are already in Smash? Such as Porky's Theme?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
TECHNICALLY, Smash Bros. doesn't use the same rendition of a track for multiple stages in one game. However, this is purely for fun and won't take that into consideration, even with Fourside in particular actually having been a Smash Bros. stage.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Tall Tower's been added to the archive.

On a related note, I'll try and get the 3DS accuracy archive finished and have a Wii U accuracy archive going. No promises on when it'll be up, though.

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
Name: Earthbound
Source: Earthbound (SNES, 1994), Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN, 2001)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl29TKZDh3c&list=PL67D312AAC7F2E719&index=22

Name: Mother

Source: Mother (Famicom, 1989), Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN, 2001)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgAdgZguFSw&list=PL67D312AAC7F2E719&index=21

Name: Mother 2
Source: Source: Earthbound (SNES, 1994), Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN, 2001)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0HptqoBxI&index=37&list=PL67D312AAC7F2E719

Name: Mother 3 Love Theme
Source: Mother 3 (GBA, 2006), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, 2007)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5bu77m45kY&index=156&list=PLA2E3926DAFA8F80C

Name: Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cR3MRXtAI&list=PLA2E3926DAFA8F80C&index=157

Name: You Call This a Utopia?!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALKLj1mknM&list=PLA2E3926DAFA8F80C&index=158

Name: Magicant/Eight Melodies (Mother)
Source: Mother (Famicom, 1989), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS (Wii U / 3DS, 2014)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHzYs162HSk&index=49&list=PLz5gUls4mkX-RAT5kisCujb-R_Zw4In3B

Name: Smiles and Tears

Source: Earthbound (SNES, 1994), Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U (3DS / Wii U, 2014)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrPLtEfwuk&list=PLz5gUls4mkX-RAT5kisCujb-R_Zw4In3B&index=50

D

Deleted member

Time to make this list.

1. Earthbound / Fourside (Super Smash Bros. Melee): Duh.
2. Boy Meets Girl (Twoson) (EarthBound): An oddball pick for sure, but I think a song like this could work in Smash.
3. Opening Credits Title Screen Mix (EarthBound): I think that the bright and cheery sounds of this song could fit into Smash. I decided to mix them together as they could be the first songs you hear. I put the title screen second, mainly because I thought of the trailer.
4. Humoresque of a Little Dog (Super Smash Bros. Brawl): Mainly because it's a song that does play in Earthbound in the shops if I recall correctly.
5. Porky's Theme (Super Smash Bros. Brawl): Because this song fits in with a dark city rather than a bright town more.
6. Pokey Means Business (Earthbound): Speaking of Porky, this criminally unrepresented song should have some sort of remix here.
7. Mind of a Thief (Mother 3): An oddball pick that I think is surprisingly fitting for this stage.
8. Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise (Super Smash Bros. Brawl): Like Porky's Theme, I think this song is more fitting for this stage than Onett.

I have a lot of Smash songs... I guess it couldn't be helped.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
DAWN OF
THE FINAL DAY
-24 hours remain-

Last call on this stage, so send in your CSTs before somewhen around this time tomorrow. I gave this one some extra time to let people enjoy Combo Breaker and Memorial Day, so please don't forget to do this if you were planning on it.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Figured I'd make a statement on why it's taken so long for the grades.

Simply put, I had things to do and I couldn't do the thing. BUT, we are nearing the end of the grading for this round, so it's not long now.

On a related note, How many of you are able to do things such as help with game development? Are you a huge fan of the MOTHER/EarthBound series? Well, fan game MOTHER 4 needs extra staff members help to finish the game. Details on what you can do are here.
I'm not saying you have to do anything, but spreading the word can go a long way.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Results are here, yay! But before we declare the winner, let's take a look at the judges' scores:

Zzuxon
Importance: 7/10
Popularity: 7/10
Variety: 9/10
Fit: 6/10

Total: 29/40
Not a terrible playlist, but not what I would have chosen, either. I don't feel like "Humoresque" matches this stage at all. I do like Johnny B. Goode I mean the Hippie song, it's a nice touch for it. The other songs are pretty standard Mother-Stage, but I'm not sure if most of them quite match. They're more Onett-feeling than Fourside. All that said, the Magicant and Smiles songs work well for this stage.
:4ness::4lucas::4ness::4lucas:
theTRUEchamp

Total: 33/40
This one had some of the same songs as the previous list, though I feel like the differences you had were what really made you triumph here. "Mother 2" and "You call this a Utopia?" were very good calls on this playlist. Not bad at all!
XenoBrawler610

I've got barely anything bad to say about this one. I still think that the Humoresque song feels completely out of place here, so I docked one point off of fit for that. I'm not sure how popular the "oddball" picks are, which resulted in Importance and Popularity taking a hit. Otherwise though, variety is great. Twoson's song works well, and Poke Means Business is even more proof to me what the SNES sound chip was capable of. Not much else to say here, well done.

Judge's Note: Mine's a bit shorthanded, as i'm doing this one in a hurry. I should be able to do the next one like normal.
Zzuxon

Popularity: 10/10

Total: 37/40
+ Fourside is there, so that's perfect on Importance for me
+ vs. New Age Retro Hippie was a great choice
- Could've gone for more songs that weren't already in Smash 4
- Relatedly, more songs from EarthBound instead of MOTHER 3 would've been nice

theTRUEchamp
Variety: 6/10

+ You have Fourside, so no worries on "needing" any other song
+ The choices you have work for the stage
- Would it've killed you to use a song that WASN'T already in Smash Bros.?

XenoBrawler610

+ Fourside=Good Job!
+ Mind of a Thief works great
+ I'm not too sold on Porky's Theme or Porky Means Business for Fourside, as good of a song as they are
- You have just a SMIDGE too many songs already in smash Bros. for my liking

Zzuxon

All the popular songs are here and accounted! Humoresque of a Little Dog didn’t really fit the whole urban setting of Fourside, though. I also thought that Mother didn’t work really well with Fourside, mainly because it’s so closely tied to Onett.
theTRUEchamp

Like above, a lot of the most popular songs are here! But again, Mother and Mother 2 are just too closely tied to Onett to work in Fourside.
XenoBrawler610

Total: 38/10
A pretty well-rounded setlist! Humoresque of a Little Dog and Porky’s Theme just didn’t work out for me. But I must say, Mind of a Thief was a great choice!

This game's winner is.... @XenoBrawler610!!! Congratulations, your prize is a Bubble Monkey, imported alllll the way from Winters! Now, I'll just get the car started and-Hey! He's floated away! I KNEW I shouldn't have left him the bubble gum!

Results:
Zzuxon: 103/120
theTRUEchamp: 105/120
XenoBrawler610: 111/120

- Kevandre

- TechPowah

Alright, that does it for this round! Stay tuned as we reveal our next stage as part of our E3 <not so> Special!

See you next time!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I won? Thank you! :D
Good job to Zzuxon and theTRUEchamp for their playlists as well. This was a pretty close match!

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Before anyone decides to speak up in here about it: Yes, we know about certain Smash Bros. leaks, and will not comment on the leak's contents nor the implications it has for the contest within this thread until AFTER all of the leak's contents have been officially revealed in a capacity where we can talk about it without needing spoiler tags. I hope you will do the same, or at least spoil tag your posts until then if you can't wait.

Good day. And don't worry, it'll only take a day or so. =P

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Alright, time for our E3 Special! Our round is Suzaku Castle, with our very own special guest, Ryu-
Oh.
OH!
Well, it's come to my attention that Ryu in busy right now for E3. He apparently is in London with Birdie and Cammy. Well, with Street Fighter unavailable and MOTHER/EarthBound just now having a round end, let's bring up our remaining series that has a new character...

Round Twenty-five: Blue Sea
Universe: Fire Emblem
Game of Origin: Fire Emblem: Awakening <3DS, 2012>
Stage Creator: Radical Beam <View the original stage pitch here!>

Chrom and Robin are en route through Valm seas, in order to seize a harbor needed to dock the Shepherd's ships. However, the Valmese have a large war fleet waiting for Chrom and the Shepherds. It's war on the high seas!

Your judges for this round are:
:4villager: myself, @ TechPowah TechPowah :4villager:
:4ness: @ L LF2K :4ness:
:ivysaur: @ Kevandre Kevandre :ivysaur:
And our special guest judge:
:4falco: @Radical Beam :4falco:

Ready? Steady? GO!

<Reminder: The fact that music can show up on fan-stage pitches is disregarded. Use whatever you want, but still be mindful of what the judges might think of your selection.>

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Alright, I can try this one out.

Destiny (Ablaze) - Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS - 2013
The original Music of the stage, sort of necessary.

Devine Decree (Ablaze) - Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS - 2013
You guys remember that awesome choir in Id (Purpose)? Let's have them in another awesome song!

Champion (Ablaze) - Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS - 2013
A song that I'm surprised isn't already in the game, considering Arena Ferox (the original stage with this music) is in the 3DS version.

If - One's Thought - Fire Emblem: IF Fates - 3DS - 2015 (To be released)
I'm not sure this song's getting in the game, since it's from a game that hasn't released yet, but it's awesome for what it is. (Hasn't stopped Yoshi's Woolly World's theme, though.)

Confronting Arvis - Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - SFC - 1996
That piano part just makes this song.

A Mighty Foe - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - GCN - 2005
Not really much to comment on.

Determination - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - GBA - 2005
I figured that I'd add at least one field theme.

Drake's Theme - Advance Wars - GBA - 2001
Hailing from Fire Emblem's sister series, this song represents a criminally under-repped franchise in Smash, with it's only representation being an assist trophy. It should also be a nice change of pace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom