• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Boards Game Battle '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
Finalark, Firusthehedgehog, Straked, Godsmith2, Mith_, and Redson present:

Greetings, Smash World Forums! Once a year, we will now be holding a contest called the Smash Boards Game Battle. In said contest, members will vote on their favorite game from each week's bracket. This will be updated four times a week, Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays, and finally, Thursdays. And of course, this game has rules which will now be listed.

• One vote per member for each bracket.

• Do not vote for previous brackets when they have been taken down.

• Use your head, don't turn this into a flame war.

• This isn't really a rule but a recommendation, please have played most of the games on this list before voting so you may have a varied opinion on each bracket.

• Do not send me your votes in a PM. Votes will not be valid unless they are posted on this thread at the proper time.

And if anyone is interested, here is the full bracket:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Super Metroid

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Spyro: Year of the Dragon

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest

Pokemon G/S/C

Alundra 2: A new Legend Begins

Earthbound/Mother 2

Lunar 2

Final Fantasy IX

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

Okami

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Kingdom Hearts

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Kirby’s Dreamland 2

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials & Tribulations

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Jak II

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Mario 64

Banjo Kazooie

Smash Bros. Melee

Sonic the Hedgehog

Half-Life 2

Bioshock

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

Vagrant Story

Donkey Kong 64

Super Mario Kart

Yoshi’s Island

Super Mario Bros. 3

Animal Crossing

Metroid Fusion

Sonic Adventure 2

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

F-Zero GX

Soul Calibur 2

Resident Evil 4

Warcraft III

Starcraft

Ape Escape

Painkiller

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Ducktales

Dragonball Z Budikai Tenkaichi 2

Space Invaders

Portal

Metal Gear Solid 2

Devil May Cry 3

God of War II

Bionic Commando

Wolfenstein

Resistance 2

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Trace Memory

Street Fighter IV

Never Winter Nights

Bully

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 2:

Metroid Prime 3
Pokemon G/S/C

Final Fantasy IX
Okami

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Bioshock

Yoshi's Island
Sonic Adventure 2

Soul Calibur II
Painkiller

Portal

Star Wars Battlefront II
Street Fighter IV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 3:

Pokemon G/S/C
Okami

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur II

Portal
Street Fighter IV

Tie Breaker Rounds:

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Soul Calibur II

Ducktales

Resistance 2
Star Wars Battlefront II

Now that I've gotten all of the introduction out of the way, I can finally start the contest.

7/2/09

VS

Spire

III
BRoomer
Super Metroid, without a doubt.

(This thread will probably be moved to Forum Games)

EDIT: I love how OoT was kept from the brackets, because of its ability to beat any and all other games no matter what ;)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Super Metroid, definitely.

And OoT wasn't put on the bracket because through voting Majora's Mask won for Zelda. But yes, I'm sure part of the reason it was voted off was because of that.
No one really wants the same, boring list of best games as always, after all.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just for the hell of it I'll throw in my own vote. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

And yes, Firus is right. That's the reason why OoT isn't on there. And if you take a closer look at the list you'll notice that there are a number of popular games that aren't on there. After all, if OoT and Final Fantasy VII were on there I can tell you right now that that's what the finals would look like.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Bah, how come the rest of the members didn't nominate their favorite games? Unless of course, I somehow missed it. :O

Besides, Sonic 1 is on there but not Sonic 2 or 3 & Knuckles. WTH

finalark

SNORLAX
Bah, how come the rest of the members didn't nominate their favorite games? Unless of course, I somehow missed it. :O

Besides, Sonic 1 is on there but not Sonic 2 or 3 & Knuckles.
Because it was invite-only closed voting. And if we did allow other members to nominate their favorite the final round would have been Ocarina of Time Vs. Final Fantasy VII. And the reason why sonic 1 is on there but not the others is because we tried to limit it to one game per series (although there were a few times where this wasn't the case). Sonic 1 just won the vote over the other Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Metroid Prime 3.

So it would be like taking away the best teams so the others have a chance to win in a soccer tournament? I don't have a problem with it but its a bit ilogical.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Because it was invite-only closed voting. And if we did allow other members to nominate their favorite the final round would have been Ocarina of Time Vs. Final Fantasy VII. And the reason why sonic 1 is on there but not the others is because we tried to limit it to one game per series (although there were a few times where this wasn't the case). Sonic 1 just won the vote over the other Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games.
Completely understandable. Super Metroid is the third, and best of the 2D console titles, and MP3 is the third and best of the 3D console titles. Only fitting that they are pitted against one another. In regards to Zelda, MM simply is a better game than OoT as it takes the best of its predecessor, raises the difficulty, and introduces so many new factors into the formula. Good choice.

And I salute the decision on FFIX. Best FF in my opinion.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Metroid Prime 3.

So it would be like taking away the best teams so the others have a chance to win in a soccer tournament? I don't have a problem with it but its a bit ilogical.
We didn't do it on purpose, that's how the votes came out. Which I guess means it's partially on purpose, but not entirely.

We're not trying to just give the others a chance to win, we're trying to make this interesting. There's nothing interesting about a list with the same games as usual filling up the top 10.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
41: Path of Radiance

42: F-Zero GX

43: Soul Calibur 2

45: Resident Evil 4

46: Warcraft III

47: Starcraft

48: Ape Escape

49: Painkiller

50: Hotel Dusk: Room 215

51: Ducktales

52: Dragonball Z Budikai Tenkaichi 2

53: Space Invaders

55: Portal

56: Metal Gear Solid 2

57: Devil May Cry 3

58: God of War II
We're two games short of a full bracket. You're missing game #44 and game #54.

Also, I have to vote Metroid Prime 3 if anything, only because I only was able to play that and up your arsenol. I don't know enough about the other two to make a decision.

finalark

SNORLAX
We're two games short of a full bracket. You're missing game #44 and game #54.

Also, I have to vote Metroid Prime 3 if anything, only because I only was able to play that and up your arsenol. I don't know enough about the other two to make a decision.
Holy crap, you're right. I'll go add those now.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately...

A lot of things on this list are going to be subject to bias. A lot of American Based games (IE Future Perfect, Jak II) they have no chance among the others due to massive amounts of fanboy. Plus, we're on Smashboards- Smash=Nintendo. There's naturally going to be a lot of Nintendo Fans that haven't played other games. D:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Perhaps there should be a rule to not vote unless you've played at least half of the games featured in the bracket.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That might be a good idea. Unfortunately, it will be hard to moderate if someone really wants to vote...

But putting it up can't hurt, since it will get some people to not vote.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I also vote for Gold/silver/Crystal. I didn't actually beat the elite 4 yet (Emerald was the first game I did so on my own), but it was a good game none of the less.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Uncharted, it is one of the few reasons to get a PS3 (and I mean few, as in the only other reason is Metal gear solid 4)

finalark

SNORLAX
Uncharted, it is one of the few reasons to get a PS3 (and I mean few, as in the only other reason is Metal gear solid 4)
Or Reisistance. Or Ratchet and Clank. Or Killzone 2. Or Folklore. Or Infamous. Or Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier.... (I think you get my point)

livan

Smash Apprentice
well like a loyal fan a mainer of ness i vote for earthbound jay and perhads i like it how ness travel

n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom