• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
I bet it's Mewtwo.
ZOMFG Ultimate proof Mewtwo is in teh Brawl! Kill 1000 alloys in Cruel Brawl to unlock him!

Now, seriously, I think it is Lucario. Dazwa of course knows who he is, maybe this was a pun to those days when people thought that Lucario was a Mewtwo clone, and Lucario took the spot over Mewtwo.

Pd: Mewtwo 2 King! (no pun intended)

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking is Lucario too. I thought, at first, it was jigglypuff untill I saw " Middle Tier ".

I miss you jiggs :_:

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Panda, what are you waiting to update it? We the masses are getting impatient...

RIOT!!

sohel08

Smash Rookie
Nice site and room

Since all A attacks go at max speed with just holding down the button, there really isn't a situation in which you would want to use turbo. That said, I don't see why the ban would still hold up today considering (and honestly if you are using a 3rd party controller I would say you are at a disadvantage), I think it's more of a ban because of tradition.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yoshi has aerials that look great, but they actually are just average at best. He has difficulty approaching, but can KO pretty well. His Faux Super Armor frames on his Double Jump could certainly qualify as an unusual technique that is difficult to put into practice in battle. For those that don't know, Yoshi has many fake SAF's on his double jump(nearly the whole second jump). It is easy to use that effect for things like recovering, but it is much more difficult to use this effect in combination with an attack, since then you only get a few SAF's instead of dozens. It is priceless to jump out and use the SAF against a TL UpB with a fair spike(WTF just happened, that hit you!)
The only thing that makes me not say it's Yoshi is that I don't see him as mid-tier. He is at best a low tier character. So I still stick with Bowser. Just wanted to give some food for thought.
His approach game is actually at least average. You can approach with a dash attack, DR, even egg roll since its safe to use since it cancels out most attacks, he has his eggs to combo with, even a Down B, and his Bair is just awsome at approaching. Approaching with a Nair not that great, but it works too. And can you explain what you mean by fake SAF's? I dont understand that part. And IMO trying to spike a TL's Up B with fair is not the best option IMO. Its better to use a Dair (start the attack up by hitting him between sword spins or try to skim his head) or even try to fit in a Nair to semi spike or ledge spike him. And you always have Egg Lay FootStool to use, althuogh its very hard. And yes i agree with you the character can't be Yoshi, it has to be Bowser.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It isn't lucario, he has a good air game and what is the super advance technique? I think it is definitely IC's or Yoshi, I am leaning towards IC's because of the ability to use the secondary ice climber, Nana, after a grab, roll and a few other things (I'm not really sure, I don't really use them that much...).

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
It could be Peach now that I think about it. Approch is really limited to glide tossing turnips, into bairs or dairs. Aerial game seems good, but forward air is rather slow, down air is hard to hit with all the moves, nair has some slight range problem with nair. She has no problem killing, between her forawrd smash, up tilt, fair, bair, and forward throw.The unusual tactic, is float canceling, seeing as how peaches havn't been doing as often

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
peaches air game has insane priority, and is all around good

her approach is not limited to glide toss, float is very good for appoaches

and she has no good kill moves

not peach

the mewtwo hint would suggest lucario

infomon

Smash Scientist
While I still call ICs.......... I really hope the answer is "Charizard" :D

... just so we're all so miserably wrong lol

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Using zelda and shiek doesn't take that much skill. You just learn 2 characters, its really no different than having a main and a second.

Desyncing is hardly unusual at this point. We've seen it for years now. Playing 2 chars isn't unusual either. >.>

ISJR is very unusual. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't know, because I don't get to play against any bowsers, but as for unusual tech bowser fits perfectly.
if you don't change correctly it could cause you a stock O.o I think it requires a bunch of mindgames and strategy to do this correctly and not get hit. Where did you get the idea it was easy? Try doing it in a tournament....

I'll really bet an actual 5$ if anyone wants to take me up, its zelda, without a doubt. Because so many people think otherwise proves how little Zelda mains there are. It fits perfectly, here I'll dissect it word for word:

"This character may be doomed to mid tier because despite all the incredible strengths and abilities that this character possessesZelda has moves that come out fast and have great proirity, a deadly longrange skill that forces people to approach, and one of the best defence games in Brawl., the character is lacking any sort of approach game, This is very true for Zelda, its very hard to make an offensive zelda. and the character's air game, which seems great on the surface, is actually severely lacking. zelda's airgame looks INCREDIBLE at first, yet, after further examination, all of these moves require setup and mostly used for punishing, save nair. Although, if the player can use this character well, these flaws may not actually be too much of a disadvantage because this character can KO without much of a problem. Given, nearly all Zelda's moves KO, and she has great potential, I think hawii's toptier is a zelda (darkmusician)In the future, this character could very easily rise in the tiers and tournament rankings if more players learn how to use the character well. There are'nt that many Zelda tourny players at all, despite her strenghtsAlso, there is an unusual strategy that is not often used that can be taken to balance this character's weaknesses, although very few people who use this character use the strategy as it is difficult to do in a real match, and require quite a bit of skill."Very few people play Sheik/Zelda because of the difficulty of setting it up like I stated above, and how unconventional it is, check the char rankings and see how many people actually play Sheik/zelda in tournies. The Sheik/Zelda combo makes her potential sky rocket (using Shieks amazing approaches and swift moves to rack damage, switch to zelda and then do your insane knockback moves).

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Zelda be up.

Note: I said strategy. I never said technique. That caught a lot of people.

Overswarm has taken over once again, and he's started the new thread already. I'll write the hint later tonight, if I can.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I'll really bet an actual 5$ if anyone wants to take me up, its zelda, without a doubt. Because so many people think otherwise proves how little Zelda mains there are. It fits perfectly, here I'll dissect it word for word:

"This character may be doomed to mid tier because despite all the incredible strengths and abilities that this character possessesZelda has moves that come out fast and have great proirity, a deadly longrange skill that forces people to approach, and one of the best defence games in Brawl., the character is lacking any sort of approach game, This is very true for Zelda, its very hard to make an offensive zelda. and the character's air game, which seems great on the surface, is actually severely lacking. zelda's airgame looks INCREDIBLE at first, yet, after further examination, all of these moves require setup and mostly used for punishing, save nair. Although, if the player can use this character well, these flaws may not actually be too much of a disadvantage because this character can KO without much of a problem. Given, nearly all Zelda's moves KO, and she has great potential, I think hawii's toptier is a zelda (darkmusician)In the future, this character could very easily rise in the tiers and tournament rankings if more players learn how to use the character well. There are'nt that many Zelda tourny players at all, despite her strenghtsAlso, there is an unusual strategy that is not often used that can be taken to balance this character's weaknesses, although very few people who use this character use the strategy as it is difficult to do in a real match, and require quite a bit of skill."Very few people play Sheik/Zelda because of the difficulty of setting it up like I stated above, and how unconventional it is, check the char rankings and see how many people actually play Sheik/zelda in tournies. The Sheik/Zelda combo makes her potential sky rocket (using Shieks amazing approaches and swift moves to rack damage, switch to zelda and then do your insane knockback moves).
This guy totally owned this ****
If only he would have posted this sooner, less people would have thought it was Ice Climbers.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Zelda be up.

Note: I said strategy. I never said technique. That caught a lot of people.

Overswarm has taken over once again, and he's started the new thread already. I'll write the hint later tonight, if I can.
tarter sauce! should have read that part clearer :) thx for the quick update, i always get info-hungry

keeper

Smash Champion
I actually read this hint earlier and knew it was Zelda.

The thing, in my opinion, with Zelda, is that she is so easily figured out after playing one a few times. You just know how to dodge everything, DI everything, and entirely avoid her. Zelda can't easily approach you, and if you don't approach her and just keep dodging her, you'll be at a standstill.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
Yes, in order to be effective a good Zelda player really has to try to switch it up as much as possible, because it's too easy for Zelda to become predictable.

I've gotten the sense in the past that a lot of people dislike her because of how simplistic she appears, at least on the surface.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
um... no.

Dual maining is very viable... but repeated switcing is NOT... you have to tactically switch.. and sometimes the best tactical decision is to NOT switch

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
His approach game is actually at least average. You can approach with a dash attack, DR, even egg roll since its safe to use since it cancels out most attacks, he has his eggs to combo with, even a Down B, and his Bair is just awsome at approaching. Approaching with a Nair not that great, but it works too. And can you explain what you mean by fake SAF's? I dont understand that part. And IMO trying to spike a TL's Up B with fair is not the best option IMO. Its better to use a Dair (start the attack up by hitting him between sword spins or try to skim his head) or even try to fit in a Nair to semi spike or ledge spike him. And you always have Egg Lay FootStool to use, althuogh its very hard. And yes i agree with you the character can't be Yoshi, it has to be Bowser.
Yeah, Yoshi doesn't have a horrible approach. However I'd say at least 70% of the characters in the game have better approaches, so that makes his approach game one of the weaker ones. Egg Roll just gets grabbed, Bair is just asking to get punished when you land(assuming the opponent can sidestep or shield it). The dash attack is average, but dash attacks can never be the first option, since shield grabbing it is so easy. Down B is one of my fave approaches with Yoshi, but you have to be pretty close for it to be effective(so you can hit with the rise or the fall).
Anyway if you have never noticed, during almost the entire Yoshi Double Jump, he has Fake Super Armor Frames(SAF). Super Armor Frames are when you take damage but not knockback. Some of the most popular examples are Ike's UpB and Neutral B, and Wario's Fsmash. Most SAF are short(Wario's is in only frames 9-13 of his Fsmash). Yoshi's however lasts nearly the whole Double Jump(more than 30 frames for sure). I call it Fake SAF because unlike true SAF, Yoshi can be knocked out of it if his damage is high enough compared to the attack. For example, Falco's Dair spike can't spike Yoshi at all during his double jump until about 64%(Yoshi just continues his double jump as if he was never hit). His Side B however doesn't do knockback, even at 300%, since it is a much weaker attack.

What makes this extremely useful(more so than not getting spiked or edgeguarded) is if one can master doing this in combination with aerials. If you do an aerial during your double jump, some SAF rolls over onto the aerial(only a few frames though). However with great timing and precision, this allows a player to attack in the air without getting knockback from an opposing attack whenever they have their double jump available. This means you can get hit by recovering opponents and still just do the attack anyway as if you never got hit(Toon Link's UpB, and ROB's Fair and Nair while UpB are a few that I have done this to). I just take the 10% or so of damage, and Fair Spike them to oblivion. Note that this is a very difficult technique to master and more times than not I screw up the timing and get hit.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
man, when i saw the hint the first thing i thought was "It's Zelda" but i didn't post it because i never get these right.

and why not change the thread to biweekly character discussion because i don't think two characters have been announced on simultaneous weeks since like early or mid-May

Shök

Smash Champion
Zelda, hmmmm.

Not my 1st guess but my 2nd or 3rd, so I was close.

Can't wait for 13!

Oh, @ People Killer
Zelda is not overrated and I'm pretty sure she's not a guy....

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda, hmmmm.

Not my 1st guess but my 2nd or 3rd, so I was close.

Can't wait for 13!

Oh, @ People Killer
Zelda is not overrated and I'm pretty sure she's not a guy....
But Darkmusician IS a guy. He's also one of the better Zelda mains out there, but recently he got beaten pretty domfortably by Mega-Japan (another Zelda main). And MOST people seem to theing DM is our best Zelda user. He's probably not, but he's still very good.

Our best I've played so far is Flame Ichigo aka Kyou... Even mega Japan I went roughly even with for a while (though he started to figure me out and the balance shifted to him). I haven't stood a chance vs. Kyou.

Anyway. I think Zelda is severely overrated. She onlt really has TWO bad matchups (game and watch and marth) though G&W is definitely the harder of the two. She's just so dang hard to counterpick... being attached to shiek and all. If she weren't so easy to KO she could be top tier with her matchups.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
man, when i saw the hint the first thing i thought was "It's Zelda" but i didn't post it because i never get these right.

and why not change the thread to biweekly character discussion because i don't think two characters have been announced on simultaneous weeks since like early or mid-May
Because then it will be monthly in reality.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
It pretty much has to be Samus or Peach as far as I can tell, but I don't actually think that Peach's long range game is quite as good anymore, so I'll go with Samus.

Top Bottom