• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash at the Aracade II: Metaflair's Revenge! Results

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Regardless of how/ when you do it Lain, you're still human and you can make mistakes. Just don't do it when playing against me please. I don't care if you do it to other people, but I'd rather have my loss screen come up.
Mistakes happen. You went to shake AZ's hand because you thought he was dead, he wasn't. You quit out when you thought Kel was dead, he was. If you switch the endings to the two scenarios, one of them is pretty ****ty. Both are poor sportsmanship. Just wait until the victory screen.
If you're talking about this match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhXdUdbuFdg
there's absolutely no way to mistake it. He was far above the KO % for the usmash, his launch speed was obviously above anything he could survive, and if you don't want to judge by eye, then even through the subpar audio I could hear Meta Knight's "death scream."

There's like, no way to just think he was dead, he was dead.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you're talking about this match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhXdUdbuFdg
there's absolutely no way to mistake it. He was far above the KO % for the usmash, his launch speed was obviously above anything he could survive, and if you don't want to judge by eye, then even through the subpar audio I could hear Meta Knight's "death scream."

There's like, no way to just think he was dead, he was dead.
Lain quit out the match because he thought he was dead, not because he knew he was dead. I have seen Lain quit out on multiple matches, many of them not very clear cut on if the game was actually over. I still to this day don't know why Lain quits out of matches other than to look like an idiot, as it is completely unnecessary and saves little to no time while potentially ruining a game and making other players angry.

There have been times in everyone's experience where we've said "whoa, how'd you survive that?" and that alone should tell you don't quit out of a match just because you think someone is dead. It's common sense. You wait until the victory screen.

Regardless, quitting out at any point in a set at any point in the tournament will result in a loss for that game. Repeated offenses will have you DQed from the tournament. I don't care if Lain is playing M2K in the grand finals, final set of the tournament, last match. If that's going on and Lain gets a grab and then u-smashes M2K and quits at any point, whether he's in star KO animation or not, I'll give M2K the win and Lain can go with 2nd place and I'll just point to the rule. No exceptions to this, people don't like it, it's something that is unnecessary, and it is something that I'm going to remove from circuit events.

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
hahahahahahahaha yeah jus watched the match Kel u were 2 grabs past death u werent living that one.but i agree he shouldnt quit and i think the reason he does so is bc its like his Trademark.By now everyone knows that Lain does that, and i have never seen lain quit out and the person even have a remote chance of living...

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Can you just turn off the pause screen before you play, and stop him from doing it completely? That would avoid this whole situation lol.

Just make a circuit rule where Pausing is turned off at all stations.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It would... while removing pause, which can be necessary during interruptions.

It's pretty simple.

If the victory screen doesn't show up and you make it say no contest, you get a loss at any point in the set. If this happens multiple times, you get DQed. "Multiple times" can be in one event, or through several events throughout the circuit.

I have no patience for things like this. It's one thing if someone wants to complain about stage X or technique Y, those can be legitimate opinions and they have a right to express them no matter what they are. It's another thing entirely if you're trying to defend someone quitting out of a game before the victory screen. That's like someone hitting a home run in baseball and everyone on their team just starts walking off the field and packing. MLB would fine them to kingdom come and they would be known as a giant team of douchebags.

While giving someone a loss and DQing them from an event or potentially a circuit may seem harsh, it isn't hard to avoid. There is never a single reason you should ever have to make it say "no contest" unless you yourself are forfeiting anyways. Not one. Quitting out bugs a lot of players including myself, but more importantly it is dangerous. Mistakes can be made. People can be insulted. People that do this can look like complete douchebags to anyone with a sense of sportsmanship. If Lain wants to take his hands off his controller and walk away after a u-smash or go to shake someone's hand, he can do that all day at his own risk. Quitting out he cannot. No one can. Not even during the star KO animation.

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah, you can turn off pause, but that rules out the idea of quickly restarting a match (which happens some times) or someone asking their opponent for a situational pause (legal).

Champ and Ankoku, that's great that you guys have the logistics for killing a metaknight out of a grab down. However, this is based off the principle of the action.

lain

Smash Master
When people are dead, they're dead.

It's easy to talk about me ****ing up and quitting out at the wrong time, switching scenarios, saying "I've quit out on questionable match endings before", but it just shows how sad you guys are.

It doesn't take a ****ing rocket scientist to see someone disappear off the screen and start screaming. It's pretty easy to tell when someone's going to die from the percent they're at and stuff, but usually you can tell if you or someone is going to die from the sound of the move hitting them.

I don't do this on guesswork, I do this from experience, and plain ol' waiting for them to actually die. gtfo.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I turn pause off vs Ice Cliimbers because I have this nasty habit of accidentally hitting pause while trying to mash out. Happened the very first time Lain and I played.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Again Lain, I'm letting you know. Do it in your MI events all you want, but don't do it at the circuit events. I'd suggest breaking the habit before going, because anyone that makes no contest happen will get a loss for that game regardless of what their opponent thinks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I can honestly say I didn't expect Linkin Park to come into this discussion at any point.

Touché.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Lol at Linkin Park, I agree Kel it is the principle of it. He shouldn't do it, and the legal pauses you explained are needed. I am just trying to help suggest ways to avoid this situation so we don't have to waste our time on this instead of improvement.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Think of it as improvement in terms of common sense, sportsmanship, and preventing mistakes that could turn an epic set into a massive failure.

Can you imagine the fury if Lain quit out of a match and merely said "you were SO dead, I u-smashed you at 130%!" and someone else denied it and there wasn't a video, nothing but a 'no contest' screen? Can you imagine if Lain quit out of a match and someone merely said "I wasn't dead, I was recovering"?

It's not hard to see these scenarios come up either through malicious intent or by someone merely being mistaken, and in 100% of cases that don't have a trustworthy observer who is also in charge (see: myself, TOs, or anyone else that can make the call), Lain is at fault and would lose the game since by all counts there's no reason to quit out. Since you can see AFTER the game who quit out, it's also impossible for someone to quit out without an observer and blame someone else... so if they did, they'd be wagering instant ban from all MWC events against winning a single game and being watched like a hawk for all eternity as well as being hated by their opponent.

Simply letting people know that quitting out of the match at any point is unacceptable saves us some trouble in the long run, makes tournaments have better conduct, and no one gets pissed off but Lain.

Seriously though, nobody quit out of a match unless you want the loss. I don't care if it is pools, singles, or doubles and you have 3 stock 0% and they are in their star KO animation, 2 frames before disappearing. Just don't do it. I'll make an example out of you.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Understand why I don't enjoy janky stages?
lol. its not janky stages that i hate, its rob. rob and mk are the only characters that have legitfully(may not be a real word xD) camp'd me to the point of timing me out. and its only happened 3 times (2 of those times aginst you :x) so i can't just hate janky stages due to a few losses. Besides, you gotta be good on every janky stage to be successfull in the midwest, since your going to get taken to most of them atleast once. Thats why i cp Japes and Mansion and Rainbow, because due to me not being able to travel, its a boost to be good at them. About the actuall statement, thats not a reason to hate a janky stage. not only is your recovery move good enough to stop it, but if you can do it, you can oviously stop it from happening.

MurdaMoe

Smash Ace
Xisin, **** i hate it when ppl try to belittle the win, its happened to me so i know how you feel :(

Seriously though, nobody quit out of a match unless you want the loss. I don't care if it is pools, singles, or doubles and you have 3 stock 0% and they are in their star KO animation, 2 frames before disappearing. Just don't do it. I'll make an example out of you.
I guess this guy is Universal TO now :urg:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I guess this guy is Universal TO now
For the circuit, yes. It lets me do things like DQ people for showing up 15 minutes late to a match even when they're friends with the TO.

*in the midst of this flame war a brave soul leaves his shoutouts*

OS: GGs, tho i prefer when people play their mains over someone they dont even if i have a better chance of losing D:

Kel: Lucario @ 190% isnt fun D: im worried i might get killed! dont scare me like that next time you random diddy!!

Xisin: Im still workin on how to pronounce your name 101% correctly, good tourney!

@_@ sorry im having a hard time remembering everyone

Metaflair! Hentai princess, and crack turtle...best...match...ever!

Everyone else (and those mentioned above): I is, REALLY sorry about my behaviour later on in the day i didnt have music so i couldnt zone in and play at my best, and once i started to realize i was playing terribly i was getting really pissed and upset at the fact, on top of that i had to drive all day but driving i didnt mind. i KNOW for a fact i was being an ******* and i really didnt mean it for anyone who took offense i knew i was toward: Zeni, Greggu, May^2, Ttar and a few others but NOT metaflair who was making lmao too much i couldnt fight right but i couldnt be angry sorry guys next time i should be better

lain

Smash Master
OS sure likes fantasizing about theoretical situations in which I am apparently the idiot ******* in all of them.

Good show.

Kel

Smash Master
Lain, dude, we are NOT attacking you. Why do you assume this and then go into defense mechanism mode?

Look, I don't care if "everyone else saw it", the only people that mattered in our match were you and me. By quitting out the match you're not letting it completely finish, which is unfair to me.

I even asked nicely. PLEASE don't do it in our sets. There's no need for expressing your views on how "sad" I am.

lain

Smash Master
I don't think you guys are attacking me. I think that my point is still valid, it DOESN'T MATTER if I quit out assuming both people aren't ***** or idiots. I've never quit out too early on someone before, and I never will, because you hit them, they either die off the side immediately or if they go off screen off the top then I SEE that and I quit out. Even if it's me, I quit out the match. Am I being unfair to myself? No. I never quit out unless the match is DONE.

I understand all this theoretical nonsense, but my point still stands. I know some of you don't like it, so I won't quit out vs you

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Are we allowed to concede a game early by LRAStart, or are you still gonna threaten us with a full DQ?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Are we allowed to concede a game early by LRAStart, or are you still gonna threaten us with a full DQ?
Was hoping no one would ask that question =P

I'm not going to be unreasonable about it. If you're actually forfeiting, LRAS wouldn't potentially change the outcome of the match. If your opponents complained I could see potential issues but I doubt that it would come up very often. It is rare when someone complains about getting a win. I would still prefer people not do it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Was hoping no one would ask that question =P

I'm not going to be unreasonable about it. If you're actually forfeiting, LRAS wouldn't potentially change the outcome of the match. If your opponents complained I could see potential issues but I doubt that it would come up very often. It is rare when someone complains about getting a win. I would still prefer people not do it.
I'm talking about conceding a game, not forfeiting a match. Like, getting 0-death'd or something first stock, LRAS, straight to counterpicking for game 2.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
from stages to an irrelevant matter... =/
What do you expect? It's MI.

I'm talking about conceding a game, not forfeiting a match. Like, getting 0-death'd or something first stock, LRAS, straight to counterpicking for game 2.
Both have the same effect. Game & Match are synonymous, and forfeiting / conceding are the same thing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's totally relevant. You don't even know. :V

I got confused regarding the use of the term "match," seeing as how it seems to be most often switched around with "set," while "game" and "round" are switched around. I eventually just adopted the tennis terminology system since that's what it seems to resemble most.

Game / Set / Match

OS...i was talking about lains pausing, its no biggie, no offense or anything but if you really care THAT much that he ended the fact that you lost sooner than thats just being a sore loser, as for stages =| EC/WC stagelist ftw...

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
If your gonna complain about the midwest so much, then go to these places with different stage lists, because it doesnt look like the midwest is going to change anytime soon.

If your gonna complain about the midwest so much, then go to these places with different stage lists, because it doesnt look like the midwest is going to change anytime soon.
this statement was so dumb im at a loss for words in a response, cuz here lemme pack up my **** and just hop over to the WC yeah real easy...good job want a cookie for that statement or would you like to think before you tell someone to go halfway across a country...my loss for words thus begins now

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
dude want me to sumarize? if you hate the list, just shut up and wait for something to happen or get the **** out of the midwest and go to a better region. Just because you hate it doesnt mean bull**** in the end. Instead of hating the stages, you could be learning them. Figuring out who to ban aginst what. We don't need to get rid of the diversity that we have just to be good in other region's rule sets. BTW fun fact, you could go to the East Coast too, thats not as far away ;).

dude want me to sumarize? if you hate the list, just shut up and wait for something to happen or get the **** out of the midwest and go to a better region. Just because you hate it doesnt mean bull**** in the end. Instead of hating the stages, you could be learning them. Figuring out who to ban aginst what. We don't need to get rid of the diversity that we have just to be good in other region's rule sets. BTW fun fact, you could go to the East Coast too, thats not as far away ;).
1. hate the already exsisting bull**** *check*
2. gtfo midwest...*still dumb check*
3.better region...oh you mean EVERY REGION *check*
4. things i hate, are generally bull**** that anyone with a good head hates *check*
5. learning stages that NO ONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY USES *check*
6. banning stages we shouldnt have...*uncheck*
7. diversity...is NOT always good *check*
8. EC...does NOT have disney land, OR Arnold Schwartzenager *uncheck*
9. the fact that you statement has put me at a loss for words i wrote out a simple checklist for you to under stand, and telling me to move is still dumb *check*

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
dude im kidding about the moving thing lol. XP. Are you saying that everyone thats smart HATES these stages? i say not. If there are people that like the stages, why change them? Theres going to be people that hate it no matter what you do. "omg fd's a neutral. hate." "omg frigate is so gay. hate." "omg metaknight on sv is ********. hate." Why shouldnt we have them? whats so bad about these stages that we should not have them? they give characters advantages that other stages dont give. Like mansion. It helps a lot of the cast with its ceiling. FD, it helps camping characters and projectile characters. Why shouldnt we have mansion but keep FD? They're both gay when your not a character thats good on them. By the way your post threw me off with the ******** check thing.

Top Bottom