• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 / Mario Kart 64 Tournament - 3/8/2013 - Red Bank, NJ

Yobolight

Smash Lord
There are some really broken strategies on the banned maps (Sector Z, Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi's). These stages were banned for a reason.

Saffron and Brinstar are psuedo playable despite being banned.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you see us play on saffron, we tell you the results, and you go nnnnnnnno. PLAY IT AGAIN ON DREAMLAND!

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
When I play I let the other person pick whatever level they want. If they let me pick, I go random. I would have no problem going 100% saffron for those that want to play it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
There are some really broken strategies on the banned maps (Sector Z, Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi's). These stages were banned for a reason.

Saffron and Brinstar are psuedo playable despite being banned.
saffron is so terrible with camping. zebes would MAYBE be ok if we all memorized the acid pattern, but still probably not. Yoshi's is pretty fun.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
What's the earliest that some of you are going to show up to Yestercades for friendlies? My two brothers and I plan on coming so we can experience our first SSB64 tournament and we would love to get to play some of you and hopefully learn some new stuff.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
excitementttttt.

even going to try to borrow my girlfriend's controller with the good stick.

and maybe steal jimmyjoe's hori pads so he can't di.

also, i presume people will show up around the time signups are slated to start.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I can't DI anyway :troll:

Can one troll themselves?
Also I bought a bunch of weird 3rd party n64 controllers off eBay, I think im going to review them all , but strictly for smash.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Sorry I realize I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that I bought a bunch of one type of weird 3rd party controllers (e.g. 3 Hori pads)
I meant that I bought one controller of each weird type I could find that I thought may have potential. (e.g. 1 hori, 1 super-pad64, 1 Pooptendo controller).
Anyway I may start a thread on it and review them all in youtube videos or a guide on here.
I got the idea trying to decide if I should use the hori or the original controller. Both have ups and downs So I was wondering about other controllers too, pros and cons ya know?
Prob gonna start a thread.. Should be fun

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I got the idea trying to decide if I should use the hori or the original controller. Both have ups and downs So I was wondering about other controllers too, pros and cons ya know?
Prob gonna start a thread.. Should be fun
Dat original es BEST.

I used a Hori for ten months. Far more downs than ups in my opinion.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
http://www.stuffyourmomthrewout.com...df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/2/g23_5.jpg

i own one of those superpads, and the problem i have is the shortened right stick. i am so used to all controllers of every console i've ever owned pressing against the lower portion of my palm, and this one doesn't. the control stick is also metal, and surrounded by plastic, i think. i can dashdance like a mo****a on it, and i'm sure if i spent time with it, i'd grow used to it. as is, the buttons are a little too large for my liking, and sometimes di'ing is really difficult. it's our backup 5th for when i take the fourth controller home during breaks.

but yeah a thread will be cool

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I don't think so, but some of the pads have multiple names because of different regional marketing. IIRC One of the pads I got is called a 'makopad' in Europe, which sounds like shark pad, but I think its called the super pad plus or something in America. I'm kind of talking out of my ass because I don't have them in front of me, but I'll make a thread and give plenty of detail there, and I'll be looking for a lot of feedback-the specifics of which I'll get into much more detail in the thread.

EDIT: and I'm willing to do this for pretty much any controllers by the way. so if I don't have it, I'll pick it up.

LLDL

Smash Hero
What's the earliest that some of you are going to show up to Yestercades for friendlies? My two brothers and I plan on coming so we can experience our first SSB64 tournament and we would love to get to play some of you and hopefully learn some new stuff.
You can show up at earliest for friendlies, by 6:30 and we'll be setting up the setups. You can come earlier and ask for the day pass and hang out if you want though.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
You can show up at earliest for friendlies, by 6:30 and we'll be setting up the setups. You can come earlier and ask for the day pass and hang out if you want though.
Thanks for the reply. Are there going to be enough consoles/TV's there to play on or should I bring something? Are the saves on the cartridge of the game so we don't have to win any characters when we get there? Planned on bringing some controllers and my cartridge but if it needs my console to play from the save I'll bring that too. How much is a day pass, any idea?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Thanks for the reply. Are there going to be enough consoles/TV's there to play on or should I bring something? Are the saves on the cartridge of the game so we don't have to win any characters when we get there? Planned on bringing some controllers and my cartridge but if it needs my console to play from the save I'll bring that too. How much is a day pass, any idea?
the day pass is usually $25.00 which allows you to have unlimited in and out access to the arcade all day from opening till close. But if you come in around after five or so, just tell them your here for the tournament and the venue fee (day pass) will be $15.00. Tournament entry will be $5.00 (you pay for that later when you sign up), so you'll spend no more than $20.00 unless you are entering both mario kart and smash. By all means bring a cartrige and console, throw it in the trunk, you never know what can happen between now and the tournament, but we should have enough setups. All of our cartridges have everything unlocked and all characters available.

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so, but some of the pads have multiple names because of different regional marketing. IIRC One of the pads I got is called a 'makopad' in Europe, which sounds like shark pad, but I think its called the super pad plus or something in America. I'm kind of talking out of my *** because I don't have them in front of me, but I'll make a thread and give plenty of detail there, and I'll be looking for a lot of feedback-the specifics of which I'll get into much more detail in the thread.

EDIT: and I'm willing to do this for pretty much any controllers by the way. so if I don't have it, I'll pick it up.
cool cool. I think the shark and the mako are the same. The one I have has a different thumbstick than other superpads that's why i liked it

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
What are your downs and ups specifically?
I'll add it to the guide when I do the hori mini
EDIT: This looks really weird if you are not under the Neo Blue layout lol idk why. SORRY.

Hori Mini Pad Review

Things to take into account
  • I've only owned one Hori
  • I execute a lot of my techniques using methods that are very different than the popular methods I hear a lot of you guys talk about
  • This review compares a Hori to the original N64 remote
*Hori is easier to learn but harder to master

Ups
  • Joystick doesn't really wear
  • Dash dances & pivots are easier
  • SHDLs, DJCs, shines and pretty much any techniques that require slide-like methods are easier
BEST THING ABOUT A HORI- You can get away with randomly taunt-canceling in a match Playing feels extremely comfortable and smooth

Downs
  • Expensive
  • Not easy to find new (it’s possible I don't know where to look)
  • Pivot>u-tilts/f-tilts & fast fall U-airs are a lot harder
  • Quickly turning around is sometimes hard to do and may result in dashing
  • More likely to "DS" (i.e. character randomly starts walking left/right)
WORST THING ABOUT A HORI- Generally pretty inconsistent; The joystick is SUPER sensitive, you'll find yourself doing "random" attacks significantly more frequently

Other
  • Once you get used to the L button taunt-cancelling feels the same
  • The start button is located right in the center of the remote and could potentially result in accidental pauses; it can easily be removed
Things to note
  • Getting used to the GameCube remote style is not difficult
  • DI IS NOT EASIER but simply more comfortable
When I switched back from a Hori to an original remote, it took me 2 weeks to feel fully comfortable playing again. After two more weeks of playing, I was significantly better using the original remote.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I thought Chain-ace said he was seeding like 4 people (Sensei, etc.) and then everyone else by region.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yeah. i presume joe, will, para and smelly are gonna get seeded, but that leaves out kero, jj, steven, etc. there might be some unbalanced matches.

i'm always in favor of totally randomizing tournaments, but apparently i'm the only one who thinks so.

LLDL

Smash Hero
There will be unbalanced matches at every tournament, even with seeding. It's almost unavoidable when you have a really large amount of good players in attendance. What I can guarantee you guys is that the top 4 players will definitely be seeded, and you will not be in the same quadrant as anyone in your crew. Make sure to let me know who you came with during sign ups. Everything else is random. However if it really gets ridiculously stacked, then I'll go a little bit beyond that, and within those four quadrants I'll do my best to seed apart players within those quadrants of the bracket besides the 4 seeded players. Like for example if the four players were A, B, C, D. then like 6 other good players T,Y,U,I,O,P come along and sign up for the bracket. I won't randomly just match T against U, Y against P, and I against O. I'll take a look at the names, make sure they are separated in relation to ABCD, and make sure that everyone is regionally separated.

cobr, I disagree with totally randomizing tournaments for two reasons. One, I personally go to tournaments to play new people. If I am joe, and I travel to an event and end up playing my best pal steve round 1 that I play for hours every day with, the tournament is doing little for me. And two, if the tournament bracket is created randomly, the top players will be randomly seeded as well. Isai and superboom duking it out in the corner, while kirbymaster11 and hydrofox are in winners semis on the other side of the bracket is really unbalanced lol. For that reason, I seed the top four players and separate regionally. I think that's the LEAST that should be done when making any bracket. I'll do a bit more for you guys, but otherwise everything else is random.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
@Chain-Ace I never voiced any support for randomized tournaments so I don't know why you addressed that towards me.

I am, however, still wondering about the final stage-list?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Sorry that was directed at cobr_evolution, mixed up which person I was replying to. And I'm going to post that in a short bit.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i completely understand the reasoning behind seeding - it's the same for basketball, after all, in the playoffs. i just do not like that it's at the discretion of one person, maybe two. that leaves too much room for bias. at the same time, however, having like eight people decide on seeding is just too time consuming. ideally, these things would happen round robin - that's the fairest, isn't it? i'm no expert on tourneys, by the way.

i get it, though. just my personal opinion on it.

regarding the quadrant thing - do you consider a crew the people you came with or the people you routinely play with or the people in your immediate region? if we look at the october tournament, i rolled in with smelly and para, but i played the most with weedwack and megavolt and valoem. however, taken collectively, we all go to RU. i went against smelly in the first round, but i came in with him. in a smaller tournament it seems inevitable that you're going to play someone you know. hum, but you know what you're doing and explained it well enough.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, round robin is the ideal way to decide seeding. The absolute best way would to put everyone in the tournament in a single round robin, but time never allows for that unless it is a small tournament. Also regional/crew or those you play with on a regular basis, I don't have any big way to distinguish between them, I'll accommodate regional separation either way but it is up to the player to let me know at the tournament. Just let me know that you play with this person, or came to the tournament with this person when you are at the venue. Obviously I will automatically separate people that I already personally know play with each other often. Had I known that you and smelly came together, I would have done my best to separate you, but I was unaware ^_^.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i mean, i didn't mind, cuz i had only played smelly once before the tournament. still kinda fair.

maybe i'll bring my laptop for the bootlegged ass webcam recording.

Top Bottom