• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 / Mario Kart 64 Tournament - 3/8/2013 - Red Bank, NJ

LLDL

Smash Hero

Tournament Listings Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/334105/

Flyers:

Facebook RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/338572429593876/

• 80 Broad Street, Red Bank NJ 07701
Date:
  • March 8, 2013
Time:
  • Signups from 6:30pm - 7:45pm
Events:
  • Mario Kart 64 Tournament
  • Super Smash Bros. 1v1 Tournament (N64)
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 1v1 Tournament
  • Capcom vs SNK 2 1v1 Tournament
Entry Fees:
  • Venue Fee: $15.00 (Includes in-and-out access to all arcade machines and games in the arcade until closing at 2:00am)
  • Tournament Entry Fee: $5.00 per event, UMvC3 $10.00 (In addition to Venue Fee)
Controllers will be provided, but feel free to bring your own (encouraged).

Rules:

Mario Kart 64 Rules:

Smash 64 Rules:
Chain-Ace's Modified Smash 64 Ruleset

Competition Rules

Competition format is Double Elimination.

• All sets with the exception of the below are best-of-3.
  • Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals are best-of-5.
Game Settings

• Mode: STOCK
  • Stocks: 5
  • Handicap: OFF
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Stage Select: ON
  • Damage: 100%
  • Item Switch: NONE
  • All Characters Available
Stages

• The Stage List consists of Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle and Dream Land.
  • The first match of a set will always be played on Dreamland.
  • Final destination can be played on in a set with gentlemen's rule (FD may be played on if agreed by both players)
Characters

• All characters are legal.
  • Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player may reset the match without penalty if they wish for a colour change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.
    Low Tiers are all characters in B tier and below: Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, Ness, Luigi, Samus and Link.
Set Procedure
  • Players select characters for first match.
  • The first match is played on Dreamland.
  • The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Stage List.
  • The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  • The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  • The next match is played.
  • Above steps are repeated if necessary.

LLDL

Smash Hero
chain-ace
yobolight
weedwack
eggcelsior
cobr_evolution
sensei
megavolt
smelly cat
parallax
StriCNYN3
Stranded
Jimmyjoe
cmu6eh
Valoem

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
prospective attendees:

rest of the ny people? being skyfire, caeser, kero, or whatever collective asian moniker these folk have given themselves (even though if memory serves me correctly they are all european or hispanic?)
jimmyjoe, bringing copious bottles of liquor and a partybus so that afterward we can ride in style to broboken and go buckwild in the streets
jimmyjoe's homies
yobo's buddy jnatty, the guy with the elongated curse words according to the youtube videos i'd seen
assuming i can convince two buddies of mine they will make the trip, otherwise they won't; this is useless information but i care not
jerry/valoem/valeom/vaeoleom/vaoleomeomeomlaomomolemolemole, mayhaps?
strippers
robert downey jr
canadians
those kids who, last time, all played link in each of his different outfits

+many more

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
confirmed, with +2. one is my buddy eggcelsior, who played in apex. solid yosh.

let us know if you need setups chain-ace.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I might make the 5 hour drive to this; is there anyone that would be willing to drive me to the tournament in MD the next day? If it is one other person that takes me I have a place we could crash in MD. I also have a place to crash out in western NJ.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
prospective attendees:

rest of the ny people? being skyfire, caeser, kero, or whatever collective asian moniker these folk have given themselves (even though if memory serves me correctly they are all european or hispanic?)
All members of The Koroshiyo are Saiyans...

from Europe.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've always used this ruleset, it isn't new. It discourages hyrule, and eliminates the possibility of all 3 matches on hyrule. We do have time constraints.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
it's only sort of a weekday.

damn, not having class on fridays really throws things off for me sometimes.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Yeah, I've always used this ruleset, it isn't new. It discourages hyrule, and eliminates the possibility of all 3 matches on hyrule. We do have time constraints.
Thanks for clarifying.
couple other questions/concerns:

-Any reason to not include peaches castle?

-iirc BR recommended ruleset and apex ruleset include a rule where the loser of the second match can't counter-pick back to a stage they had previously won unless the other player agrees. I think this is even more important in a scenario where players are forced to start on one particular stage. The player who is stronger on the starter stage has a tremendous advantage unless this rule is applied because they can counter back to the starter stage.

-Do you need any extra TV's or setups? I know Yestercades has a ton of TV's and consoles but if you need extra CRTs I still have my stock from APEX :)

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
-iirc BR recommended ruleset and apex ruleset include a rule where the loser of the second match can't counter-pick back to a stage they had previously won unless the other player agrees. I think this is even more important in a scenario where players are forced to start on one particular stage. The player who is stronger on the starter stage has a tremendous advantage unless this rule is applied because they can counter back to the starter stage.
The rule you're talking about is only included in the Apex ruleset. If I remember correctly, the rule correctly states that any player can't counter-pick back to a stage they previously won on that they chose.

Meaning that the starter stage has nothing to do with this rule and that this rule only applies to sets best-of-5 and above because the first stage of any set isn't neccessarily chosen by anyone..

because you know..

it's chosen by LLAMAS

lol llamas

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Ahh a nice dose of llama and knowledge from Kero :)

As for rules, either way, it would be fair to implement some rule like that.

If tourney set looks like this
Game 1:
Dreamland- player 1 wins
Game 2:
Congo/Hyrule- player 2 wins
Game 3:
Dreamland - player 1 wins

I don't really think that clearly shows player 1 being better.
It does clearly show them being better at Dreamland..
Anyways.. If a player looses the first match, counter picks to hyrule and wins,
The player who won the first match would still get to choose between Congo, Peaches(if T.O. allows), FD(if both agree), Hyrule(if he wants for whatever reason), and Dreamland(if the opponent doesn't mind), and still gets to pick character second.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
new potential tourney ruleset:

3 legal stages: DL, congo, hyrule

In a bo3: each stage is played on once, in the order DL, hyrule, congo.
Character selections will either be a) double blind or b) players will play the same character on all 3 stages.

emphasis on playing on multiple stages, less emphasis on counterpicking characters.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I would rather just do Dreamland only, that was the compromise :p

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
god i'd vomit if that were the case

but basically loser picks stage and they are allowed to pick dreamland again? instead of congo or hyrule?

i like clubba's statement. it's quite unfair to mandate one stage but not the rest.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Yeah I'd boycott if it were dreamland only haha..
Prob not actually, I like smash too much.
However, I do feel legitimate tourneys(like this one seems it will be) should try to avoid straying from recommended rulesets(I think Apex prob the most fair). It makes the tourney less legit in my mind if T.O.s change the rules because of personal preference.

That being said I would love to hypocritically host
1)a low-teir tourney
2) a pick a different character each game of a set tourney,
3) a 12char battle tourney
4) opponent chooses character for you out of your pick of 3-4 chars. Tourney.

Or all of those plus more events at a Smash Olympics..

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I disagree with the anti hyrule notion, but I can understand why people dislike the stage and so I get TO's with certain opinions trying to limit the amount hyrule is played on. But to favor DL over congo as well is strange. If anything, congo is more neutral than dreamland because the "stage hazard" consists of moving platforms and a barrel that might save you, as opposed to hazards that inflict damage or actually move your character around. Should start on DL, but not be allowed to return :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
I think I'll do something like a player cannot return to a stage that they have previously won on unless agreed by both players. And as for straying from the recommended ruleset, I've never used the recommended and I've used this one for years before apex, and will continue to do so. Doesn't make a tournament any less legit to have slightly different rules than others. It's ultimately up to the tournament organizer, be it personal preference or not.

Oh and Jimmy if you want to bring a crt you can throw it in your car, and if we need more you can bring it on in!

Yobolight

Smash Lord
My ideal stagelist
Starter: Dreamland
Counterpick: Congo Jungle (Great map)

Ban Hyrule. (Peaches Castle is way more competitively playable than that map)

LLDL

Smash Hero
That would be my ideal too, but too many people play on Hyrule

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean almost no one good these days

since SK left that camp, it's, what, Isai, ballin', clubba, and who else? Jaime probably. Overwhelming majority in favor of banning.

Apex DL only WF-WS-GF's were great

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
strictly DL in the WF/GF for apex was, frankly, boring. i like seeing variation and i like playing variation. i despise campy foxes and kirbies on hyrule, but i mean, i man up and play anyway. not to mention, it's the players' choices to perform like asses. have some people stand by and evaluate the match as it is happening if you're worried about it.

shrug. if i were a new player and i wanted to get into the 64 scene competitively and i saw that every match must be played on dreamland, i'd be turned off immediately. just my opinion.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Banning hyrule would make competitive smash more fair but less cool.

Those who would give up coolness for a little fairness deserve neither.

Benjamin would totally be against a hyrule ban.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Chain-ace your ruleset sounds pretty fair to me with that implemented. Really looking forward to this Tournament. Thanks for doing it.
And I'll def bring a couple CRTs.

And everybody needs to get over it about the Hyrule thing. Some matches at genesis2 a year and a half ago took 8 minutes. Big ****ing deal. Most people don't play crazy defensive just because they're on hyrule anyway, it was never a problem at the last two apex tourneys(matches are longer than DL, but that's to be expected because the stage is larger, but they are still fun and intense) and it is the only decent stage of it's size, which helps mix up the tiers a bit, giving link a decent shot.

The Tacna guys only play Hyrule. I only played Hyrule for years. Maybe you are like me, or maybe you only played DL, but who cares, learn to play all the legal stages. It adds a lot to the game.

Sorry for this, it's really not the place but some of the DL only people pretty gung-ho about things and I usually bottle this all up. And Battlecow, you are pulling stuff out of you ass and saying it like it's fact to try and manipulate
people into taking your point of view on the subject. There is no 'overwhelming
majority' of people that want to ban hyrule. What are "these days?" Even if we
polled these boards and >51% wanted to ban hyrule, which I don't believed would happen, it doesn't mean the majority of tournament goers would want to ban it.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Sorry to double post, these forums are horrible to use on a phone so far for me, half the time what I'm typing doesn't post, and I couldn't quote anyone for my last post cause the button was doing nothing..

Anyway I feel like i should let you know i hold you in high regard, battlecow- you're easily one of my favorite personalities on these forums and generally the ideal type of smash player/fan IMO. I believe you're good for the game. that being said, I think you made biased assumptions on the communities opinion as a whole, and I strongly disagree with your opinion regarding hyrule.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Hyrule, Peach's Castle, Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, Saffron City... they're all fun stages.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah I mean I'm just saying what I think is true, I don't have exact numbers but masses of people have come out against it

lot of good players against hyrule these days, we're seeing it more and more

I think someone should throw a big-ish 2nd ruleset tourney and see how it works out

But hey yeah the point is this tourney and it looks great hyrule or no

NJ is stacked as ****

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I think I'll do something like a player cannot return to a stage that they have previously won on unless agreed by both players.
NOOOOOoOOOOOOOooooo!!!!
Stick to your freaking guns it is your tournament and if you like Dreamland, no one can stop you.

Hyrule is super duper lame and I don't wanna be limited to Congo (if I win first game and lose second). At the very least free Peaches Castle if you are disallowing return to the stage of previous victory

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
people playing lamely on a map =/= the map being lame.

i'd rather reach over and smack someone who's camping and refusing to approach instead of getting rid of a good stage. that should totally be tournament legal. backhands to campers.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I don't see anything wrong with camping, people should be able to play how they want to play. I think it's dumb when people bring up issues concerning time, too. If you're going to host a tournament you should be prepared for long matches. I don't think its right to ban a stage because of a play-style that only a fraction of the community have.
I know I'm alone on this, but I think Zebes and Saffron should be legal counter-picks too. :bubblebobble:

On another note, check out this goat.

This guy is one confused ass mother ******.

I mean i guess it's actually pretty probably that he's squinting because the sun's in his eyes. But IDK.

Poor guy needs a pair of sun glasses or something.

Top Bottom