• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 European Player Tiers [update in progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
The point is, I'm surprised you even say all of this. Being a sports fan, you should easily understand what appeals to people in competition. Don't you get excited for the world cup ? And even for friendlies ? That's what it's all about. Now if you don't want to be a part of this, just say so, it's cool, really, we can still all play together and the world goes round, no problem at all.
I understand this, but
Professional sport (LOTS of money involved) online GAME (hobby, no money involved or very rarely money involved in extremely rare offline tourneys)

All Im doing is trying to prevent the community from getting worse. Im pretty sure that this overcompetitive attitude of the community will not be good for us all. I used to think lke you long ago, but not anymore. The most important for everyone is to have fun, rather than becoming better. What do we wanna reach for getting this good? There arent tourneys. We cant win big money. The most someone can get from becoming number one in europe is some random "congrats" message, thats about it.
Meh I feel that I'm repeating myself over and over. And I dont wanna have stupid fights for this. Place me in "having fun" tier if you want, lol

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The situation in a nutshell.

Me: "Ok so we'll make a list to give a bit of spice to the euro community."
Mahie, Craig, Lawrence: "Cool."
Me: "So how should we do that list?"
*long discussion, list created*
Nixxxon: "I shouldn't be that low. This list sucks."
Fays/Squall/Max: "Let's improve our game."
Nixxxon: "All you guys think about is improving. Who cares about who's better/worse? What about having fun?"
*moments later*
Maddy: "Ok so I think Max is better than Nixxxon."
Nixxxon: "Hell no!"

=D

No, but trolling aside, I don't get why at first you were unsatisfied about your position on the list and then you attempt to derail the whole thread on grounds that are completely contradictory in nature to your initial statements.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
It is not contradictory to me.
The fact that me or someone doesnt agree with the position that they have been placed, doesnt mean I or they can agree or disagre with the whole list itself existing or being positive.

I remember once at the old euro ssb forum (RIP) that we created a thread about this, but everyone gave their own list, and there was no official one because they were opinions. You can create your own list based on your opinions, but I dont think there should be an "official" one.
And the fact that it creates this very competitive attitude is another bad point for me.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
It is not contradictory to me.
The fact that me or someone doesnt agree with the position that they have been placed, doesnt mean I or they can agree or disagre with the whole list itself existing or being positive.

I remember once at the old euro ssb forum (RIP) that we created a thread about this, but everyone gave their own list, and there was no official one because they were opinions. You can create your own list based on your opinions, but I dont think there should be an "official" one.
And the fact that it creates this very competitive attitude is another bad point for me.
Well, we can do a new system out of this. How about we determine a list of players, and then everyone makes their own list. After that we can make an average placing for every player and rank them accordingly. This could work out.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Well, we can do a new system out of this. How about we determine a list of players, and then everyone makes their own list. After that we can make an average placing for every player and rank them accordingly. This could work out.
No because Dandan who likes to **** every newcomer would be placed on top, while players who mostly play the top would get lower ratings.

smakis

Smash Ace
the only one, the ONLY one having a problem and makes a fuzz about this list is you nixxon =P (though i said from the beginning it was stupid roflmao =D)

dandan

Smash Lord
No because Dandan who likes to **** every newcomer would be placed on top, while players who mostly play the top would get lower ratings.
what???
compared to maddy for example :S
i usually go ness and the such vs beginners :p

NixxxoN

Smash Master
the only one, the ONLY one having a problem and makes a fuzz about this list is you nixxon =P (though i said from the beginning it was stupid roflmao =D)
Nice contradiction there!

"hey this is stupid but i have no problem about it :p"

Mahie

Smash Lord
"This is stupid I don't care" doesn't mean " Oh my god delete that list or my life is over, I'm so against the nature of it".

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol @ "my life is over"
okay guys, but remember dont ever stop working hard and improving until you beat the hell out of isai... otherwise you guys will fail badly.... I mean you guys wont be much competitive an stuff.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
Don't you think there's a bit of pride to be high up in the list and be acknowledged as good by your peers? Like obviously, if you don't care for such things, then this list is pretty meaningless and it'd be best if you ignored it. However, this list does promote this kind of inter-community recognition, which is pretty cool.

(Speaking as an unbiased American :p)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yes pride, and the price to pay is the community turning too overcompetitive and too elitist?

smakis

Smash Ace
the thing is that hasnt happened, again you are the only one even thinking about it that way

Sangoku

Smash Master
When I first joined the group, this list helped me a lot actually.

1) I had a ROUGH APPROXIMATION (inb4 the list is inaccurate) of the level of a player.

2) When I got ***** I said to myself "oh it's normal, he's in the s/a/b-tier." So it also cheered me up in a way.

And as King Funk says, I haven't seen any over-competitive aspect which would harm the community.

Now I would be very happy to be in it too. ^^

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Playing one characters is not bad at all. If you don't have a lot of time to play in general, it's better to use the time you've got on one char only.
I know we discussed this already but I'd like to use a good quote here. =)

As Bruce Lee once said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times".

NixxxoN

Smash Master

As Bruce Lee once said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times".
Except Bruce lee didnt use a top tier character. Man = man, there are not tiers here, :p

The Star King

Smash Hero

OK, but let's say improvement is very slow after practicing a kick, like, 2000 times. What if you practice five different kicks 2000. While they're each a bit worse than if you practiced one kick 10000 times, you have five different kicks at your disposal, and aren't royally screwed if they can counter your single kick.

I'm taking this too seriously.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
I don't get what the problem is with tier lists...

They can either motivate you to get better,
or they can motivate you to stay the best.

And if you don't care, you don't care. So this all wouldn't matter anyway.

Sandeyboy

Smash Rookie
I don't get what the problem is with tier lists...

They can either motivate you to get better,
or they can motivate you to stay the best.

And if you don't care, you don't care. So this all wouldn't matter anyway.
Heard about the Jante Law?

Olikus

Smash Champion
The Jante law ruin peoples self confident imo. And I dont think its relevant hear. You shouldn't feel bad about being better than others in smash.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Jante rule is irrelevant to the tier list: If someone hates you because he loses to you, the tier list won't matter. He will know you are better anyway. It might stimulate him to work his way up to you.

Olikus

Smash Champion
A Swede? HAH

You just traveled a bit in Russia and eastern europe. You cant even call yourselves real vikings!

15/16 really? You are as swede as it gets. A real nemesis.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hah. If I can get there, you have a falcon ditto on your hands, Funk.

Olikus, I will bring the Dylan and the gameshark for our Polygon DK matches.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hah. If I can get there, you have a falcon ditto on your hands, Funk.

Olikus, I will bring the Dylan and the gameshark for our Polygon DK matches.
Polygon DK too good.

If I don't manage to bring Craiigg or Mahie to Genesis 2 we could maybe do a mortal enemies team for 64 doubles. =D

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
American smasher joining topics in:
My mother's side is German, my father's side is Syrian. Any smashers of either place you know?

dandan

Smash Lord
American smasher joining topics in:
My mother's side is German, my father's side is Syrian. Any smashers of either place you know?
there are plenty german smashers, including mad-fighter, who is one of the top 3 europeans.
i do not know of any syrian smashers, i am the closest in israel, but who knows (i have played with people in saudi and egypt before - israeli arab cooperation through smash, **** yeah).

Battlecow

Play to Win
there are plenty german smashers, including mad-fighter, who is one of the top 3 europeans.
i do not know of any syrian smashers, i am the closest in israel, but who knows (i have played with people in saudi and egypt before - israeli arab cooperation through smash, **** yeah).
I think the Israeli/Palestinian conflict could be brought to a nice, tidy conclusion through smash, actually. Have you proposed that to your government yet? I hear Hamas has some hella legit console tourneys, so it'd be pretty fair.

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
These smashers sounds very fun to play against, what sever do you guys go too, both European and Australian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom