• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 European Player Tiers [update in progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Don't forget that I also have to play in my lag. Living in SA is indeed terrible, but that doesn't mean my opinion is invalid :p
Lol, fair enough, I didn't expect your ping to be so high though, I mean you get about the same as Judas (80~90)
but he lives all the way in the bad part of Australia (:p)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
of this list I have played

Lawrencelot (I am almost positive)
Mahie (a few times)
King Funk: a few times
Nixxon: once or twice

and maybe craiig but I am not sure.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
inb4 speculation on where maltfox, swebits and morgen would be on the list, if they ever play online, causes an argument.

smakis

Smash Ace
inb4 speculation on where maltfox, swebits and morgen would be on the list, if they ever play online, causes an argument.

im still holding on to my loltheory of all of their matches being tased in order to impress people, based on swebits being the only one talking to anyone and that they have disappeared! ;)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
lol @ reading back over this thread. It's be cool if we made a player tier list for every continent.

Battlecow

Play to Win
The reason is probably too much ego. Some people would get pissed for good reason, some for bad reason.

That being said, I personally would like to see a NA tier list of the very best people... Maybe one that only included the top 15 or so. I'm always asking myself questions like "Could Holyquebec beat Fireblaster?". It's pitiful, I know, but I'm always curious.

There's probably a really good reason for why this hasn't happened.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
thankfully you're out of that primitive stage and into the 'can play decently but can still only use one character' stage, dunno i haven't played in like...a month

and playing with judas doesn't count neither of us are serious and it ends up being a jabfest, or me spamming falcon punches out of nowhere for lols

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
thankfully you're out of that primitive stage and into the 'can play decently but can still only use one character' stage, dunno i haven't played in like...a month

and playing with judas doesn't count neither of us are serious and it ends up being a jabfest, or me spamming falcon punches out of nowhere for lols
Playing one character is not bad if you play him amaaaaazingly well. =D

/blatant attempt at defending himself

Olikus

Smash Champion
Its better to be great with one character instead of OK with many. But its better to be great with many than great with one. "old jungle sayings"

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i'm not sure if you can excactly make teir list out of players..

sounds bias to me.

Mahie

Smash Lord
The reason is probably too much ego. Some people would get pissed for good reason, some for bad reason.

That being said, I personally would like to see a NA tier list of the very best people... Maybe one that only included the top 15 or so. I'm always asking myself questions like "Could Holyquebec beat Fireblaster?". It's pitiful, I know, but I'm always curious.

There's probably a really good reason for why this hasn't happened.
The main reason I guess is that in Europe we all know each other so it's very easy to ask everybody's opinion and make this list with the minimum of bias ( That answers Soupamario's post as well).

I wish there was a world tiers. This kind of thing tends to make me want to improve.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
The main reason I guess is that in Europe we all know each other so it's very easy to ask everybody's opinion and make this list with the minimum of bias ( That answers Soupamario's post as well).

I wish there was a world tiers. This kind of thing tends to make me want to improve.
This kind of list based on opinons tends to be pretty inaccurate, usually most of euros only play friendlies and especially if there are only few who give the opinion. Also those lists are always controversial and in general dont create anything good. Only ego battles. Its very differnt from lists created by tourney results and stuff, where there are no opinions but facts

Dsc

Smash Ace
Since this is all based upon what cheeseball said, and what cheeseball said was about me, the "only character i play" is the hero of time. Thats not bad is it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I might try to make a North American online tier thread.

If Europe can do it without ego's clashing HOPEFULLY we can do it too lol.

DMoogle

A$
I might try to make a North American online tier thread.

I don't think it's a good idea, as I don't think we're quite as graceful as our European friends are.

You can try if you want to, but I (or another mod) may close it if it turns into a flamefest.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
haha american ego

every single time i go on galaxy there'll always be someone flaunting their ego

even if they're mostly unknowns im pretty sure good players aren't immune to it

NixxxoN

Smash Master
No, you're the only one mad usually. ;)
I don't think it's a good idea, as I don't think we're quite as graceful as our European friends are.
In my opinion Europeans are usually ego contained and well behaved in general. IM sure some people may be pissed off and disagree about their placement, but they will shut up because they are very educated and dont want flame wars.
On the other hand, i bet lots of americans will be more "honest" and probably will not shut up at all if they disagree. But you can try.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Maybe we should do online tournaments if you want facts. But it's pretty hard to make happen because most people who enter flake out like hell.

I always thought making tiers was better than making rankings because it's too hard to judge people on precise rankings. Right now, it's true we base most of our stuff on friendlies but then, when everyone plays each other so often as we do, I don't think it's illegitimate to determine who's better, etc.

It's possible you aren't playing anyone as often as you should, Nixxxon, and can't really keep up with what's going on. Players like Fays, Jam, Squall, Max are becoming better players at a pretty fast rate.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Maybe we should do online tournaments if you want facts. But it's pretty hard to make happen because most people who enter flake out like hell.

I always thought making tiers was better than making rankings because it's too hard to judge people on precise rankings. Right now, it's true we base most of our stuff on friendlies but then, when everyone plays each other so often as we do, I don't think it's illegitimate to determine who's better, etc.

It's possible you aren't playing anyone as often as you should, Nixxxon, and can't really keep up with what's going on. Players like Fays, Jam, Squall, Max are becoming better players at a pretty fast rate.
What i see here is that its a little bit dumb that people DO HAVE to try their hardest at every single friendly, or else you may be ranked lower than you could. When I do friendlies I hardly ever try my best, because I play mostly for fun. A lot of other people think like me too. And probably some others have this dumb mentality of "omg I must try try try my hardest at every single friendly, who cares about having fun, its all about trying the hardest because I must get a higher rank cuz I can be the best and I will get a lot of p**sy if i become the best" :ohwell:
Thats why those lists arent good, they create a stupid over-competitive environment.
And when a newcomer joins, instead of telling him to have fun and to play mostly the people at their level, you say "omg you have improve improve improve! Play the best players and get ***** and you will learn very fast... this is stupid imo.

And yes, im not talking about who is better than me or who is better than who, i'm talking about the community in general.

dandan

Smash Lord
that has no bearing on this list, you can assess players skills even if they sandbag.
also even if a lot of it is friendly, we still do seriouslies sometimes.
to tell you the truth, you are the only one who had any problems with the tier list we made then, noone else thought otherwise.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
What i see here is that its a little bit dumb that people DO HAVE to try their hardest at every single friendly, or else you may be ranked lower than you could. When I do friendlies I hardly ever try my best, because I play mostly for fun. A lot of other people think like me too. And probably some others have this dumb mentality of "omg I must try try try my hardest at every single friendly, who cares about having fun, its all about trying the hardest because I must get a higher rank cuz I can be the best and I will get a lot of p**sy if i become the best" :ohwell:
Thats why those lists arent good, they create a stupid over-competitive environment.
And when a newcomer joins, instead of telling him to have fun and to play mostly the people at their level, you say "omg you have improve improve improve! Play the best players and get ***** and you will learn very fast... this is stupid imo.

And yes, im not talking about who is better than me or who is better than who, i'm talking about the community in general.
You over-dramatize the situation here. What the ****, lol. xD

For us it's simply an incentive for people to want to improve and it's not a bad thing at all. Also, when you have someone plays mostly the people at his level you basically create even more a rift between good and bad players. Newcomers should play everyone and anyone because almost anything is good experience to them.

People do what they want, but anything that can step up the community a little is a good thing in my book.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
For us it's simply an incentive for people to want to improve and it's not a bad thing at all. Also, when you have someone plays mostly the people at his level you basically create even more a rift between good and bad players. Newcomers should play everyone and anyone because almost anything is good experience to them.

People do what they want, but anything that can step up the community a little is a good thing in my book.
Newcomers should play whoever then want, and be at the level that they want, they dont need to improve a lot or become that much better. If they want to play other players of their level and not increase much their level, its fine, they dont need to get ***** by the better players all day in order to improve.
Step up the community? what does this exactly mean? It will make the community a better place to be in? no. Just more competitive which is different from better. And in my opinion, the more competitive, the less fun it becomes, but maybe im wrong here.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Can we just remove Nix from the list ? I guess if he plays for fun he doesn't care anyway and then he won't have to whine about a list he has nothing to do with.

Also, serious in friendlies, are you sure you know who you're talking to ?:laugh:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
.... lol nice response.

Okay, do what you wish, you will do it anyway no matter how much im trying to argue with you.

Mahie

Smash Lord
.... lol nice response.

Okay, do what you wish, you will do it anyway no matter how much im trying to argue with you.
The point is, I'm surprised you even say all of this. Being a sports fan, you should easily understand what appeals to people in competition. Don't you get excited for the world cup ? And even for friendlies ? That's what it's all about. Now if you don't want to be a part of this, just say so, it's cool, really, we can still all play together and the world goes round, no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom