• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 ELO Rating

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Updated to include the latest ladder games and Double Dair (in progress)

Changed it so that you have to have at least 1 win to be on the list. Still messing around with stuff, might use min rating instead or use both.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
this going to take either constant tournaments in a short time or a LONG ASS TIME to be accurate

good effort clubba

clubbadubba

Smash Master
It might take a long time, but it all depends on the players. Anyone can host tournaments, and any 2 players can decide to play out a serious set online at any time. Any competitive match will be taken into account, the more the better.

yes nova I am. I plan to have games start right after zenith. Signups will be within the next couple of weeks.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i said discretion should be involved. people do mess around in $1 money matches. But if people do a serious non money set with no goofing around i have no problem using it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You really should have a problem using it

I mean we do need data but no other organization gives "well they said that they weren't screwing around" as a valid grounds for inclusion

I guess you're the grand poobah of this system so what you say goes. But it loses legitimacy in my eyes if random peeps can manipulate their ratings outside of a formalized setting. I wouldn't use an Elo system like that to seed a tournament I was running.

Possible methods of abuse: asking for serious matches only against characters/players you're comfortable against, using extremely non-standard rulesets that don't reflect real skill but nevertheless appeal to both players, asking to include afterwards and being OK'd by nice players/players who don't give two ****s about elo.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
possible solution is to have 2 lists. tourney only and seriouslies+tournies rating. that would be easy to do, just leave out non tourney matches on one rating list

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Ummm, that's how online chess ELO's work. You play random games, your rating is adjusted. You can choose to play only people that are far worse than you if you want. The thing is that it won't effect your rating very much if you are beating up on bad players. However, if someone were to start off with only play bad players that are not already rated how that could over-inflate their rating, simply because they are not stable yet. Possible stipulation: you have to have a "stable" rating in order to count non-tournament/non-big money seriouslies.

Also required for these: agreeing BEFOREHAND to be rated. Using a COMPETITIVE ruleset.

Another rating could easily be done, though that is one rating per current rating, so we'd be at 6 different ratings...

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm not bossing anyone. If the overwhelming opinion is that only tourny/big money matches should be counted, that's what will happen, but the opinion of bcow and his pizza buddy are not enough :)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Chess is real different

Online chess you don't really have friendlies; every game you play is essentially part of one big tourney, and is recorded, inspected for fraud, etc. I don't think they let random dudes confirm that they played each other 43 times last saturday at dude A's house and count that.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Actually, you could easily do that on chess.com. Get your friends user name, find them online, and you can play as many games as you want against that person.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Online chess you don't really have friendlies; every game you play is essentially part of one big tourney, and is recorded, inspected for fraud, etc. I don't think they let random dudes confirm that they played each other 43 times last saturday at dude A's house and count that.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So what you're saying is you're worried people might lie about results? Just because on chess sites the website can confirm the games were played doesn't mean the game was legitimate. People can still make multiple user names and throw games, and as long as they aren't too obvious, they'll get away with it. These games would, if anything, be more scrutinized than chess sites because I have to manually put them in as opposed to an automated system doing it. Also, if I use my suggestion of only allowing people with "stable" ratings to do "seriouslies," then anyone submitting would have had to participate in multiple events, so its less likely they'd be trying to take advantage of the system.

I also don't see how serious money solves the issue. How is it easier to say:

I beat ultraNOOB 20 times

than it is to say:

I beat ultraNOOB 20 times, and each one of them was a $50 money match

Anyone can lie.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think we can try clubbas way for some time and see how it goes. He seems confident. I dont think it will be abused too much actually. But it is a potential flaw in the system that friendlies are allowed, even if they say they play serious. The main focus should be on tourney results though.

MATTS!

Smash Ace
Yo, I made a cool smash 64 ranking system here http://galaxy.co.nf/

Read directions, input Data! simple and easy user friendly

If I don't have your name in the drop down box, I can add it to the database, if you wanna participate!

You can also download each persons data in 4 different formats by clicking on their name, Cheers!

Made by The Great MATTS!

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Yo, I made a cool smash 64 ranking system here http://galaxy.co.nf/

Read directions, input Data! simple and easy user friendly

If I don't have your name in the drop down box, I can add it to the database, if you wanna participate!

You can also download each persons data in 4 different formats by clicking on their name, Cheers!

Made by The Great MATTS!
i think Clubba has this covered dude. Starting a whole new ranking system seems **** considering all the work Clubba just put into this one

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
lol marbles.

dood clubba i dont see how you'd go into 6 ratings...

i was only suggesting 2

tourneys only

and

tournies + everything else

GREASE YOUR STICK, ITS BEEN TOO LONG. YOU TOO SHADE/KERO

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I guess you're probably right actually clubba

I mean it's exploitable but we're all nice people and we need data

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Updated to include comboed on spawn 2. ALL OF YOU GODDAMN ******* STOP ****ING ALTING. Or TO's at least don't ask peoples tags if you already know them. Cool, thanks.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@cobr, fixed.

With regards to having multiple communities on the same rankings:

Its really more of a convenience issue on both ends I guess. On the user side (you guys), with multiple communities on the same page one would have to manually ignore the people that are in communities they weren't interested in. On the programming side (me), its not as simple as "make peru separate." I also don't want to have to potentially manage 3 (console, online, online/console) rankings per community. I understand the concern that the ratings will not be comparable between certain people. Just know that as it stands now that is already the case, but there were no complaints up to this point about it (I guess because people didn't realize it?). As I said though, I am looking into solutions. With the current display interface (a smashboards thread LOL) its a bit difficult displaying all the information I want to display. I'll see what I can do.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just don't add peru to this list. Ding. Done.

There are no competitive unrelated communities within NA, and if there were you should take them off too.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Just don't add peru to this list. Ding. Done.

There are no competitive unrelated communities within NA, and if there were you should take them off too.
Nah if I get international info it goes in some format or another. Sometimes the easy way is the right way. This is not one of those. I think I've thought of a decent solution though, might implement it tonight.

Its not communities. Its the fact that some players rating is not meaningful when compared to other players ratings because of who they've played, which is the same issue with international competition. I don't have an algorithm in place to find these players yet, which is why I can't just take them off so easily.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Okay so here's the deal. I've made it so that each tournament is associated with a particular region. Every tournament except the Brazilian one is currently labeled as NORTH AMERICA, and the brazil one is of course BRAZIL. So when I run the code it outputs separate lists for each region. If players have played in events in multiple regions (so far just banze and oxolane), they will be in multiple region rankings. I currently have it so that all of banze's games count in each region, though I'm not sure if I will leave it like that or not.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I'm planning it :)

Right now I'm basically in the process of uniting the Orlando "hard-core" community, and then basically going from there lol.

Oh and also, looks like I won't be able to go to New York in Dec ;___; /wrists.
Buuuut, I can make it to Apex now, which slightly eases my pain :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
We should ask Gamers Inc. to run another ssb64 tourney.

You missed out on that one TANKLIN. There were like 25 ppl that showed up, 20 of which I had never seen. I think I actually helped MrMarbles find the competitive scene at that tourney.

But anyway there are definitely more people out there to recruit. I'm betting there's a ton of college kids who play 64 in their dorms and apartments at UCF.

TANK64

Smash Lord
We should ask Gamers Inc. to run another ssb64 tourney.

You missed out on that one TANKLIN. There were like 25 ppl that showed up, 20 of which I had never seen. I think I actually helped MrMarbles find the competitive scene at that tourney.

But anyway there are definitely more people out there to recruit. I'm betting there's a ton of college kids who play 64 in their dorms and apartments at UCF.
Thanks for letting me know BRO.

Also, @Mr.Marbles, I didn't know you were from Orlando. When your sem starts again we gotta play.
I'm trying to get a semi-active console scene for 64 in Orlando.
Do you play Yoshi?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Thanks for letting me know BRO.
Sorry bud. It was in mid February, when you said job/internship/school/wifey/etc were killing 100% of your free time. So I didn't wanna bother you. Plus easier money for me. Mainly the former though.

Marbles plays Pikachu.

Top Bottom