• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 better than Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

neji32

Smash Lord
All your saying is that you suck at brawl, so you say that everything that gets you killed is stupid.(i.e sheild grabbing) that aas in melee too. You just suck so your downgradding the game.
Honestly some of the stuff you put refers to melee as well. I already know that no one here beleives melee is worst than 64 so why would brawl.
True brawl has no wave dashing(which is why most don't like it) but neither does 64. Brawl is way better than 64 and I can prove it to anyone who thinks other wise.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
It's would be really hard to compare the two games. I mean the basic fighting mechanics from melee are still in brawl while in 64 the mechanics feel really different. I mean melee and brawl only seem to maintain the simple basics of 64. 64 is really far removed from the other games. Melees shadow however is still in brawl. You could call brawl melee 2.0 if you compared it to 64.
yeah so the debate is melee vs brawl, not brawl vs 64 (Its like saying brawl vs street fighter or soul caliber)

That said 64 is teh awesome an I like it just as much as brawl

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
Well, I started playing smash competitively, about two years ago, but I've been playing smash since 98, when it first came out on the 64. To me the Original Super Smash Bros. was the one of the greatest fighting games of all time, and even though I was a n00b, back then, with no knowledge of, teching, L-cancling, and jumping out of your shield, I was still in love the game.

As for brawl vs ssb, as an overall game brawl is better. Minus the combos, brawl has more characters, more stages, more game modes, more options, more everything, than ssb.

As a competitive game, I'm not 100% sure on this, because I never played ssb competitively, but I still think brawl is better. From what I remember of the original ssb and from what I've seen of competitive ssb on the internet, there are not enough defensive options.

Brawl is like this. I have a stick. He has a knife. I must camp.

Melee is like this. I have a stick. He has a knife. I must strategize.

Smash bros. is like this. I have a knife. You have a stick. I stab you! You die!

Ojanya

Smash Ace
My opinion on why Brawl is compared to Melee rather than 64 is that more people played Melee competitively, and it is (generally) considered a better game.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
1st paragraph= rubish thats your opinion
2nd paragraph= mostly true

though I diagree on the idea of 64 being better.It just dosent have all the great stuff brawls does.

@PCHU
umm......so snake the guy thats been on what 3 games on nintendo systems and considered by many an PS rep (the creator even stood up for PS3 when the lack of sales caused everyone to think xbox360 and wii were better)should take less 'pain' then sonic whos almost every game has been on nintendo (even the originals are avalible through VC).

Best101

Smash Ace
Here are some reasons why I say Brawl is the worst of the Smash games

1)You can't combo. When you do find a 2 or 3 hit combo it's the only one you have and it gets old seeing the same combo over and over again. While in Melee you have your 10 hit combos and a plethora of 2 or 3 hit combos.

2)Brawl is just too floaty. Like the OP says the DI is completely ridiculous and the floatyness of the game only makes it worstdo with gameplay, but the plethora of stickers, trophies

3)The CPUs only fight humans and WILL NOT fight unless you are in the middle of the fray. Play a FFA on Smash64. I bet you had fun didn't you? Why? Maybe it's because not only do the CPUs treat you equally as other CPUs they also have the fight much more spread out. For example 2 people could fight on one side of Sector Y and you and another can fight undisturbed by other coms on the other side. In Melee it was like Brawl a little bit, but at least the CPUs fight each other in your absence.

4)Multiple air dodges pretty much kills the game for me. Who needs skill when you can press the magic R button to get out of almost every imaginable combo.

5)"You must recover!" I think Sakurai took it to the extreme in this game. Everybody's recovery is broken, and Pit and MK are gods at it. One time I made a complete circle (360 degree circle) around (not through it) Hyrule Temple and with Metaknight.

6)Is it me or do you have to get your opponent's damage level to about 150% damage to KO them?

7)There are no kill moves with a few in exception like Snake's forward Smash and Ike (all his moves lol). It's like the game is forcing you to play with items, because if you don't then you will have long drawn out matches with nothing but air dodging and camping. With items you have the hammers, Dragoon, anything that explodes, Smash balls, etc. These items are the only way to get KOs at very low percentages (at 50% for example)

8)5 break the target stages, no Board the Platforms? 35 characters? 5 break the target stages? No Board the Platforms? Do I need to say more?

9)5 hours SSE mode. Same enemies, same bosses, same enemies, same bosses, for 5 hours. I bet most of us only play SSE for the cut-scenes, too much time was spent in development on this mode where they should've used that precious time to improve on multi-player and bringing the things Melee failed to bring back. Board the Platforms for example.

10)No representation from Smash64 except for like one song. Come on Smash64 was a great, great game. They could've had some stages come back. I would love to play on Mushroom Kingdom 64 again, I haven't played that stage in like 8 years. Also Melee's representation of stages sucked hard in Brawl. Who actually likes Big Blue?

I could go on but I will have about 20 points.

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
That's just your opinion, man. Either you like brawl more than ssb or you don't. There is no right or wrong, and even if there was, by majority rules, brawl is better.

But, to be fair, knowing that way more people have played brawl, than ssb, I'll compare it to melee.

The majority of people who like melee over brawl played melee competitively, or on a competitive level, so in a way, it's they're fault that brawl sucks, because had they been oblivious to all that goes on in the competitive scene, they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of combo, techs, ect.

Not, that I think brawl sucks.

Fletch

Smash Master
Definitely like Melee better than SSB64, but I do think SSB64 is way more fun than Brawl. I don't know why people only focus on comparing Melee and Brawl, lots of people still play SSB64.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I can't fathom how anyone would say 64 is better than Brawl. Melee being better than Brawl is arguable, but 64 lacked so much depth both in gameplay, characters, and mechanics that it really wasn't above the average game years ago when it first released. Sure, it started it all, and it was a basic new system for a fighting game, but Melee expanded on it insanely, and Brawl further expanded on Melee.

What's with complaining about multiple air dodges? It's so predictable that someone's going to air dodge. It's practically like rolling in the air. Half the time you can jump past an opponent and after they air dodge, Bair or Dair them to punish it. It's really not that big of an issue since people ALWAYS try it when you approach them.

Is it me or do you have to get your opponent's damage level to about 150% damage to KO them?
It's you, because you've obviously never seen Ike, Snake, Dedede, Lucas, or anyone that can spike people in action.

Anyway, 64, Melee, and Brawl are all essentially different games running in the same series. No matter what whenever a new game releases there are still people who follow and prefer one of the older games. It's completely futile to keep comparing and arguing as if you were going to be some kind of mighty god that converts everyone to play whichever of the three Smash games you like most. Sure, you can have an opinion, but going on and on about it (especially because the game isn't 99% the same as Melee) achieves nothing. If you think Brawl sucks, that's fine. Play Melee or 64 but don't make the fiftieth thread with the same rant (ZOMG CLONE POST) we've all seen before.

Fletch

Smash Master
I can't fathom how anyone would say 64 is better than Brawl. Melee being better than Brawl is arguable, but 64 lacked so much depth both in gameplay, characters, and mechanics that it really wasn't above the average game years ago when it first released. Sure, it started it all, and it was a basic new system for a fighting game, but Melee expand on it insanely, and Brawl put further limitations on Melee.
Fixed

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Amen TC, Brawl is the worst Smash game, how could they screw up so badly. If you take away aeshticatal and quantity aspects from all Smash games, you'd thing it was Brawl first, then 64, then Melee. There'd have to be some odd explanation on why they removes u-d throws, side specials, and chargable smashes though...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I can't fathom how anyone would say 64 is better than Brawl. Melee being better than Brawl is arguable, but 64 lacked so much depth both in gameplay, characters, and mechanics that it really wasn't above the average game years ago when it first released. Sure, it started it all, and it was a basic new system for a fighting game, but Melee expanded on it insanely, and Brawl further expanded on Melee.

What's with complaining about multiple air dodges? It's so predictable that someone's going to air dodge. It's practically like rolling in the air. Half the time you can jump past an opponent and after they air dodge, Bair or Dair them to punish it. It's really not that big of an issue since people ALWAYS try it when you approach them.

It's you, because you've obviously never seen Ike, Snake, Dedede, Lucas, or anyone that can spike people in action.

Anyway, 64, Melee, and Brawl are all essentially different games running in the same series. No matter what whenever a new game releases there are still people who follow and prefer one of the older games. It's completely futile to keep comparing and arguing as if you were going to be some kind of mighty god that converts everyone to play whichever of the three Smash games you like most. Sure, you can have an opinion, but going on and on about it (especially because the game isn't 99% the same as Melee) achieves nothing. If you think Brawl sucks, that's fine. Play Melee or 64 but don't make the fiftieth thread with the same rant (ZOMG CLONE POST) we've all seen before.
Look dude, you're one person that's newer here. There have been tons of pros analyzing all the games, let them make the decision on which is more competitve. I seriously laugh when people try to respond to Scar in his thread!

kico

Smash Cadet
Smash Melee sux. Brawl Rocks.

i agree with ultimario, we all thought melee was crap at firstjust like we do with brawl now. The reason to why people say brawl is crap is because they cant handle learning a new game with new stuff.

In my opinion Brawl is ALREADY more competitive then 64 and melee ever will be.
AMEN:laugh:

Lag

Smash Journeyman
all i can say to the original post/peoplewhohatebrawl is have fun playing with smash 64 or melee or whatever.

just give the game some time, adopt, and adapt to it. it's too early to say brawl sucks/not too competitive/too floaty/etc.

patience is a virtue.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
Look dude, you're one person that's newer here.
I've been on Smashboards for two years and playing competitively for four. Just because I don't flood up the boards with post count doesn't mean anything.

I used that one all the time...when I was 12.

But really, Brawl put further limitations on Melee? How many people are unable to realize common logic that Brawl and Melee are two different games. You can't put limitations on something completely separate. Again, if you like Melee more, that's fine. Keep on playing it. I still pop Melee in to have more fast paced gameplay once in a while. That doesn't mean Brawl sucks, it means Brawl isn't as established.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
The lag might have something to do with the lack of people playong online.
I hardly have noticable lag when I play online and while there is a bit of a button delay that is expected in a ny fighting game where the game delays things so that people are where they are on screen.

I don't get lag very often unless I play on anybody and even then it isn't crippling.
When I play with anybody people who have an orange dot next to their name hardly lag for me either.

I rarely get too much(key words, "too much) lag with "Anyone mode".

I do occasionally get into a match where the lag is horrible, there is delay on the buttons from registering, etc.

What I do is simply leave the game, and look for another game.

I usually find non laggy people to play with this way, it only takes one or two tries to find a game with no lag.

Of course, some games may occasionally have a huge lag spike every 3-4 games that lasts for 10 seconds but afterwards, it doesn't lag anymore.

Speaking of Online, too bad you can't request a friend invite or something over Anyone mode. It's silly that a T rated game(T rated) is limited and "too safe" in online mode.

They should have added chatting and added friends invitation in game, BUT added the option to disable/enable chat and added a disclaimer "Never to give your personal information away".

Edit: I take back what I said about laggyness. I am guessing it's because I mainly play at early morning, past midnight (1-7 AM mainly) is why I rarely find laggers.

So I decided to play this morning(8-11 AM), nothing but laggy games. I occasionally found a non-laggy game, but that didn't last long, it'd soon become really laggy.

3)The CPUs only fight humans and WILL NOT fight unless you are in the middle of the fray. Play a FFA on Smash64. I bet you had fun didn't you? Why? Maybe it's because not only do the CPUs treat you equally as other CPUs they also have the fight much more spread out. For example 2 people could fight on one side of Sector Y and you and another can fight undisturbed by other coms on the other side. In Melee it was like Brawl a little bit, but at least the CPUs fight each other in your absence.
Hmm, in my experience the computers rarely just go for me, and I played a lot of Brawl with computers(before I managed to get Brawl Online).

Although, when they get a Final Smash or something, they almost always target you with their Final Smash.

When there is two computers in range of the Final Smash, they rarely use it, they always wait to use it when I'm in range.

Rash

Smash Ace
But really, Brawl put further limitations on Melee? How many people are unable to realize common logic that Brawl and Melee are two different games. You can't put limitations on something completely separate. Again, if you like Melee more, that's fine. Keep on playing it. I still pop Melee in to have more fast paced gameplay once in a while. That doesn't mean Brawl sucks, it means Brawl isn't as established.
Ding ding ding!

You play what you like, anyway. Each Smash game has something for everybody. People need to stop measuring it based on "worst" and "best" and just play whichever game they prefer. The majority of competitives prefer Melee, but that hasn't stopped SSB64 from keeping a life and community of its own. Same goes for Brawl.

The Brawl hate needs to end, NOW. At this point I'm pretty sure people are losing brain cells from reading all the flack that Brawl gets.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
OP is correct in saying 64 is the best, from what I've played. After picking up 64, Melee doesn't have the same feel that 64 gives to me. 64 feels like you're actually hitting someone.

I haven't played Brawl yet, so when I do I'll see which is better for myself.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Sure there were less characters, but there were also less junky characters
Frankly, I stopped reading after that. Link and Samus were complete trash. If you want to argue Link wasn't complete trash (which he was lol), fine. Samus is complete trash in BOTH games and is the only character I've seen that's completely unplayable (Pokemon Trainer a close second, only due to forced changing). Link and Samus, being bottom tier, compromised two junky characters. In a game with 8 characters, that's 25% of the cast that's unplayable. I'm not even that knowledgeable about SSB so I don't even KNOW about the other characters. SSBB has less than 25% junky characters (it has more like... 5.7%).

This doesn't make 64 a bad game, but you can't possibly say all of it's characters were legit, as Pikachu ***** everyone.

EDIT: Oh yea, you guys sucking at a game (I can't believe I'm saying people suck at Brawl) doesn't make the game bad. I've been doing combos, and the people that I play against air dodge like crazy, and DI well. Captain Falcon's not bad, and will probably be mid tier. This doesn't mean he'll be the best or one of the top 6 like he was in Melee, but he's not in the same condition Samus is in.

Fletch

Smash Master
EDIT: Oh yea, you guys sucking at a game (I can't believe I'm saying people suck at Brawl) doesn't make the game bad. I've been doing combos, and the people that I play against air dodge like crazy, and DI well. Captain Falcon's not bad, and will probably be mid tier. This doesn't mean he'll be the best or one of the top 6 like he was in Melee, but he's not in the same condition Samus is in.
I'd like to play the idiots you are playing against.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Frankly, I stopped reading after that. Link and Samus were complete trash. If you want to argue Link wasn't complete trash (which he was lol), fine. Samus is complete trash in BOTH games and is the only character I've seen that's completely unplayable (Pokemon Trainer a close second, only due to forced changing). Link and Samus, being bottom tier, compromised two junky characters. In a game with 8 characters, that's 25% of the cast that's unplayable. I'm not even that knowledgeable about SSB so I don't even KNOW about the other characters. SSBB has less than 25% junky characters (it has more like... 5.7%).
Link and Samus were both good in SSB, ok in Melee, and stripped in Brawl, but I mean you did say yourself you don't know much about the game, so it's understandable why you said that. Also since there are 12 playable characters in SSB, and if two of the characters did suck, it would be 16%, but it doesn't matter anyways since every character in the original game had some over-powered move (Samus's grab, Link's ^B, etc.)

But anyways back on topic.

GoForkUrself, you started off wrong when you said the first game is more balanced (obviously not if grabs in SSB take you from 0% to 18%), and it just moved into character bashing. If things like Smash Balls are such a problem, they can always be turned off. If a characters move is "too fast" like Falco's lasers, find a way to counteract it. And speaking of that, the breaking of the Smash Ball isn't random, but there is no need to go into the details of something so apparent. Sakurai also wasn't planning on alternating chain grabs with the Ice Climbers, so big deal if people get a little intuitive or creative. Deal with it.

I agree DI is kinda ridiculous, but its not like anyone has an unfair advantage, since everyone can do it. Again, its pretty broad that SSB wasn't meant to be realistic. It sounded like you were whining about something that happened to you personally, and I'm sorry that occured, but honestly, SSBB has so much more to offer than the original, and I bet if you get used to it, you'll have alot more fun. Rules can always be tweaked and awesome characters/techniques can always be defeated. Doesn't matter though, if that's your opinion, have fun, but you can fight anyone in the world in SSBB if you step it up. Hope you understand this entire thread is an opinion, so SSB isn't "clearly the better game."

Oh and I don't know where dodging comes in the analogy of rock, paper, scissors, but that's up to you to try to come up with.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
GoForkYoursefl- your name says it all

I never got the game because I didnt have a Nintedo 64 and I herd from my friends that it sucked... so i no get it

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
Ok, Smash64 did have things that could be improved. But it was definitely better than Brawl.
Brawl is not made as a competitive game (Can people really argue with this???)

I was at a Brawl tourney yesterday. The difference between that at Melee/64 tournaments is that it is just not as exciting. Players literally just stand there and fire projectiles because that is the way to win. And you can't really disallow it.

In 64, you were constantly on the move, and had to act. Everything was INTENSE from start to finish.

I tried getting into Brawl and give it a chance. It is a fun game to play with your friends with items on. But as a 1v1, competitive Melee-like tournament style game? Please...

If something similar to smash64 was created now instead of 10 years ago, and gained more exposure, people would realize that it is the better game. This is pretty much the reason why 64 doesn't get the credit it deserves.

orintemple

Smash Lord
There are days when I wish all people were robots who could not express opinions. I'm not just saying it in response to this thread, just a general thought. There are people on these forums that need a thinking ban.

I'm not saying wether or not Smash 64 is more competitively viable than Brawl because I am not old enough to have played SSB64 competitively, but this seems like a troll attempt, knowing that many people are going to be made angry by this.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
There are days when I wish all people were robots who could not express opinions. I'm not just saying it in response to this thread, just a general thought. There are people on these forums that need a thinking ban.

I'm not saying wether or not Smash 64 is more competitively viable than Brawl because I am not old enough to have played SSB64 competitively, but this seems like a troll attempt, knowing that many people are going to be made angry by this.
YOU MIGHT BE ONTO SOMETHING THURRR

MAYBE EVERYONE INCLUDING DIRECTORS AND MODS ARE TROLLING THIS PLACE UP BY TRYING TO ENACT NEGATIVE RESPONSES ON ACCOUNT OF BRAWLS DIFFERING ASPECTS FROM MELEE?

NO WAyyy.

yeah no duh. the whole place is a pigsty. I wish sakurai made the game a little better just so they'd shut up and go play it instead of post here.

why can't they go and populate nintendo's official boards and mess them up? haha. you'd be doing moar then

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
In Smash 64 Captain Falcon was a real Captain, not Craptin Falcon like in Brawl. They didn't have stupid characters like Ice Climbers(I mean did Sakurai really think two characters in one was going to work?). Seriously, how lame is alternating chaingrabs. Characters in Smash 64 are much more balanced.
Cry me a river. So the captain got nerfed, I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to start complaining that days were better when he was a decent character. And if you don't like Ice Climbers, don't play them.
The only good reasoning you gave was about combos, which I agree with. Other than that, this thread fails more than Falcon does in Brawl (I 2nd Falcon, I can still be harsh to him, right?)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Um...I know everyone says Samus is bottom tier, but I do fine with her. I mained her in Melee, and although she was uberly nerfed, she works fine for me. She's certainly not unplayable. I don't think she was that bad in 64 either. This is why I think it's sometimes hard to base things on tiers, because you are not the first person I've heard saying that Samus is awful, yet I haven't had that experience. One of my friends who doesn't have a Wii, when he played Samus in Brawl, he actually thought she was better. Now he could be just nuts, or it could be that some people play better with her than others naturally.

Brawl is like this. I have a stick. He has a knife. I must camp.

Melee is like this. I have a stick. He has a knife. I must strategize.

Smash bros. is like this. I have a knife. You have a stick. I stab you! You die!
^^Sigged. So true, and so funny. :laugh:

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
I liked smash 64 mostly because the characters were a lot more balanced than in melee or even brawl. There were only 12 but pretty much everyone but Mario saw SOME use in higher level play. There were still 'uber' characters like fox and c. falcon (before air dodge falcon's combos were just ridiculous, search for isai on youtube) but everyone was fairly viable.

Now Brawl comes along and adds stupid crap like unlimited air dodging (one dodge then go into fall mode was just fine for balancing out good air combo characters), a ton of projectile spam characters, ect. and worst of all, removes hitstun while also nerfing characters that weren't imbalanced like c. falcon and even more disturbingly Gannondorf and Jigglypuff while buffing characters that were already ridiculous like Marth and Falco. Brawl did do SOME good in the character balance department, a lot of characters saw buffs that put them fairly high up like G&W, Pikachu, Luigi, ect. and at least one high tier character was toned down sensibly (fox). But a lot of the buffs didn't go far enough. Yoshi still sucks which is disappointing considering he's been in all of the games. Mario is in the same situation except he wasn't bad in melee, but now he is again. Most of the old heavy characters are pretty bad still too.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Comparing different installments of Smash seems to be the hot topic, too bad the repeated threads aren't getting locked sooner. I can deal with it (for so long).
Yeah...I'm beginning to think that SmashBoards needs to have an icon next to the character you main saying which of the three games you like best. That way, people can stop creating whole entire topics about it.

I mean honestly, who really cares? We've heard the argument once, we've heard it a thousand times. Just stop it already!

redeyedol

Smash Cadet
To all SSB64 haters and the such:

SSB64 is an amazin game, and it is still my favorite Smash game to date. And those who say it was unbalanced have no clue what they were talkin about. Although Pikachu, Kirby and Ness were the top tiers, even low tiers such as Link and Samus had a good chance as long as the player knew how to Z-Cancel, knew attack priorities (which are VERY important in 64), and had the general fightin style of the game in his hands. SSB64, although havin certain broken elements such as KO-combos, required a great deal of dexterity to pull off such, and it wasn't even appropriate at every circumstance either. The game required mastery of characters, game mechanics and stages. Yes, I said stages. I don't mean stupid hazards such as the Arwing, but the platforms and walls, which could greatly influence a match and lead to very aggressive and well planned out attack chains. Half the people who look down on SSB64 have no clue just how much depth the game really has. It is VERY well made, and despite its flaws, has one of the most aggressive yet advanced playstyles of any fightin game I've experienced.

Go do your research, or better yet, master the game before you ever dare to speak of this game like you know it by heart.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
I think this is the only franchise which players debate greater or worst games of the same franchise so **** religiously. I am not saying I never seen "Tekken 2 > Tekken 5" in tekkenzaibatsu...buts SHEESH why wont you all just you know play and have fun with your respective games? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom