• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 better than Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is always comparing Melee and Brawl, and I think it is unfair that Smash 64 doesn't get a say. Everyone with a brain knows Smash 64 is better than Brawl as a competitive fighting game. None of this air dodging junk. Sure there were less characters, but there were also less junky characters, and none of this 3rd party crap. I mean come on, does Snake really belong in Brawl? He belongs in Brawl just as much as he belongs in a wedding dress. . . well, maybe I should have used a better example since Snake in a wedding dress sounds about right. Dumb Sega characters with cheesy one-liners don't deserve a spot on any fighting roster. In Smash 64 Captain Falcon was a real Captain, not Craptin Falcon like in Brawl. They didn't have stupid characters like Ice Climbers(I mean did Sakurai really think two characters in one was going to work?). Seriously, how lame is alternating chaingrabs. Characters in Smash 64 are much more balanced.
The DI is ridiculously stupid in Brawl. Players can move left and right several times while in the air. Doing full forward hops and completely cancelling the momentum and going backwards just with DI is stupid. Sakurai may as well let the characters fly with the control stick like Sonic's final smash when in the air. Speaking of which, there is a dumb concept. Final Smashes activated by praying that your attacks break the smashball and if you are randomly the lucky winner and get rewarded with a free kill. Really, random factors like that and tripping is another reason Smash 64 is better.
Smash 64 didn't promote all this campy crap like Brawl does. Shields dropping instantly making amazing shield grabs, ridiculously fast projectiles(Falco's laser is many times the fastest Smash 64 projectiles), and doing attacks out of the shield make the game way too defensive. Even things like the down b counters are stupid. "Let me strike a pose, then you can attack me, then I can not get hurt and own you." Really, why would anyone want to create moves that scare people into attacking less? That makes even more camping with projectiles, and if they don't have projectiles you have a couple lame players hopping about using silly DI so they can't hit each other.
Brawl is built to make those who are losing feel better. Pity smashes, Lucario, the lack of big gaps in skill leading to big gaps in victory, easy characters for noobs like Ike, Pit, Kirby, and Metaknight, it is these things that make it so no one "loses" badly as that is how brawl is designed. Smash 64 was made so if your 3 times better than them, then you only lose one out of every 3 stocks you take. Also advanced techniques like the l-cancel, or z-cancel in Smash 64 were removed from Brawl to make the game even easier.
Now the meat of every fighting game. We all know it. It is called the "combo." Now how does Brawl dare be considered a fighting game when it has a serious lack of these. Sure there are a few, but nothing compared to most games. Smash 64 has plenty of mega combos into kills, the way fighting games are supposed to work. Brawl is like rock-paper-scissors. Shield beats atttack, attack beats grab, and grab beats shield. Only problem is that it is a broken rock paper scissors game, cuz shield and grab always win! Grabs own too much, and shields let you attack or grab without getting damaged.
Sure Smash 64 is a bit polygonal, and has bowling alley sound effects, but it didn't have dumb characters, stupid infinites, ridiculous DI, lack of one player owning another, random effects, and boring defensive combat. Clearly Smash 64 is the better game, and that is why I still have Smash 64 hooked to my TV as my go-to choice for any Smash gaming.

Namenlos

Smash Rookie
While I agree with some of your points yuch as tripping and Final Smashes I must say that the language you used seems almost to be insulting, so I won't say much. I agree in some points and in some others completely disagree but you proved you like 64 better

milind4

Smash Apprentice
your whole first paragraph is completely your own opinion.

and couldn't it the fact that there are less characters be the reason that the charcacters were there were more balanced, as you say?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I tried to not use any vulgar language and hold myself to just "kiddy" bad language, like dumb and stupid. Well I did say Craptin Falcon, but I can't help it given how bad they made him. The language isn't bad, but the tone perhaps is, but just giving a take on Smash 64's superiority in competitiveness and Brawl's abundance of stupid things Smash 64 didn't have.

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
I agree. I play N64 online project64k the lag is better than brawls, and the players are amazing even if there are only about 40 people at one time. That's 40 people to practice on, the hardest part is learning how to z-cancel with lag. The gap in skill is there. but it makes me want to get better because I was a melee player so 64 is kind of weird with the massive hit stun and 0-death combos that exist. Really fun though and hopefully gamecube emulation will advance and we can start playing melee online. Sadly as it is now, brawl is inferior to both games imo. Brawl is a party game and frankly Id rather watch Mario Party in competition than this, the mini games in that take way more skill than brawl.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Half the people who play Smash have probably never played Smash 64.

Thats why its often left in the shadows. It shouldnt be though, it was a brilliant game.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This guy is a Troll that knows nothing, and heres a quote someone might have missed to show why:
"Smash 64 didn't promote all this campy crap like Brawl does. Shields dropping instantly making amazing shield grabs, ridiculously fast projectiles(Falco's laser is many times the fastest Smash 64 projectiles)"
Is it me, or did he just say that FALCO's lazer was the fastest SSB64 Projectile? If not, pardon me, but it sure looks like it.

BTW, MK Has combos....
OWNZORZ

On the final note, its the SAME THING THAT HAPPENED AT MELEE RELEASE PEOPLE!
We all thought that Melee would never have a competitive scene from the changes that happened. And now, Melee is the 2nd most competitive Game of all time. Think about it. Whats stopping us from doing that in Brawl?

Izaw

Smash Ace
SMash 64 Sucks. Smash Melee sux. Brawl Rocks.

i agree with ultimario, we all thought melee was crap at firstjust like we do with brawl now. The reason to why people say brawl is crap is because they cant handle learning a new game with new stuff.

In my opinion Brawl is ALREADY more competitive then 64 and melee ever will be.

There we go, pure flaming. Now flame back please. Im bored as hell.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Is it me, or did he just say that FALCO's lazer was the fastest SSB64 Projectile? If not, pardon me, but it sure looks like it.

No. He was saying Falco's laser in Brawl is faster than any projectile in SSB64.

BTW, MK Has combos....
OWNZORZ

Don't name one character out of 39 and act like you made a point. -_-

On the final note, its the SAME THING THAT HAPPENED AT MELEE RELEASE PEOPLE!
We all thought that Melee would never have a competitive scene from the changes that happened. And now, Melee is the 2nd most competitive Game of all time. Think about it. Whats stopping us from doing that in Brawl?

...WTF? 2nd most competitive game of all time?

ARE YOU HIGH!?

studly

Smash Ace
yur definition of cometition is flawed man
the fact that more people play brawl today than people that played smash64 when it was popular
.....by definition, Brawl is more competative

and your analysis of the game sucked anyway

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
the characters in brawl are WAY more balanced than in 64. dont get me wrong, I love smash 64 and it was my favorite game at the time, just like brawl is now, but Link sucked in that game, Kirby was god...I mean, cmon, the entire competitive community is not going to go back to the original smash and play on nintendo 64's in tournaments...

NukeA6

Smash Master
the characters in brawl are WAY more balanced than in 64. dont get me wrong, I love smash 64 and it was my favorite game at the time, just like brawl is now, but Link sucked in that game, Kirby was god...I mean, cmon, the entire competitive community is not going to go back to the original smash and play on nintendo 64's in tournaments...
Smash64 was still balanced when compared to Melee. I also thought Link was at his best during that game. He sucked in the air but his ground game was pretty good. But yeah, Kirby was the best during the 64 days. He was the first character I ever mained.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I used to have more fun with smash 64 than with brawl, but it doesn't' matter cause melee owns both. xD

Basara

Smash Rookie
HAHAHAHAHAH , SSB64 , BALANCED GAME????

kirby was broken , especially his Dair , 60% damage are you kidding me ?? , Overpowered grabs?? , Non-Skill Meteors and edgeguard?? , face it , Brawl is better than any smash , competitive or not..........

6footninja

Smash Ace
Im just not the kind of person to go back ten years (medaphorically) to play a game. Instead of saying whats better, lets actually give Brawl some time, play it find new (useful) crap, and get on with it. Jus like Melee. Seriously, why don't we get to that?

And im in agreement with Blayde, they were all good games.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I never really liked Smash 64 that much. It was good and fun, don't get me wrong, but not something that I'd keep coming back to over and over and over again, which is what is happening to me with Brawl.

Personally, I think Brawl is much better than Smash 64.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
craptin falcon lol i didnt even notice that every time i see something like that it reminds me of that one email that says u only read the 1st and last letter or something like that.

anyways i actually like 64 better too i loved the stages in there the 1st super mario bros world was the funnest ever some1 is about to falcon punch u and u go down a pipe it was pure wootage. thats the thing i miss most about it.

p.s. whats DI i still havent learned this?

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is always comparing Melee and Brawl, and I think it is unfair that Smash 64 doesn't get a say. Everyone with a brain knows Smash 64 is better than Brawl as a competitive fighting game. None of this air dodging junk. Sure there were less characters, but there were also less junky characters, and none of this 3rd party crap. I mean come on, does Snake really belong in Brawl? He belongs in Brawl just as much as he belongs in a wedding dress. . . well, maybe I should have used a better example since Snake in a wedding dress sounds about right. Dumb Sega characters with cheesy one-liners don't deserve a spot on any fighting roster. In Smash 64 Captain Falcon was a real Captain, not Craptin Falcon like in Brawl. They didn't have stupid characters like Ice Climbers(I mean did Sakurai really think two characters in one was going to work?). Seriously, how lame is alternating chaingrabs. Characters in Smash 64 are much more balanced.
The DI is ridiculously stupid in Brawl. Players can move left and right several times while in the air. Doing full forward hops and completely cancelling the momentum and going backwards just with DI is stupid. Sakurai may as well let the characters fly with the control stick like Sonic's final smash when in the air. Speaking of which, there is a dumb concept. Final Smashes activated by praying that your attacks break the smashball and if you are randomly the lucky winner and get rewarded with a free kill. Really, random factors like that and tripping is another reason Smash 64 is better.
Smash 64 didn't promote all this campy crap like Brawl does. Shields dropping instantly making amazing shield grabs, ridiculously fast projectiles(Falco's laser is many times the fastest Smash 64 projectiles), and doing attacks out of the shield make the game way too defensive. Even things like the down b counters are stupid. "Let me strike a pose, then you can attack me, then I can not get hurt and own you." Really, why would anyone want to create moves that scare people into attacking less? That makes even more camping with projectiles, and if they don't have projectiles you have a couple lame players hopping about using silly DI so they can't hit each other.
Brawl is built to make those who are losing feel better. Pity smashes, Lucario, the lack of big gaps in skill leading to big gaps in victory, easy characters for noobs like Ike, Pit, Kirby, and Metaknight, it is these things that make it so no one "loses" badly as that is how brawl is designed. Smash 64 was made so if your 3 times better than them, then you only lose one out of every 3 stocks you take. Also advanced techniques like the l-cancel, or z-cancel in Smash 64 were removed from Brawl to make the game even easier.
Now the meat of every fighting game. We all know it. It is called the "combo." Now how does Brawl dare be considered a fighting game when it has a serious lack of these. Sure there are a few, but nothing compared to most games. Smash 64 has plenty of mega combos into kills, the way fighting games are supposed to work. Brawl is like rock-paper-scissors. Shield beats atttack, attack beats grab, and grab beats shield. Only problem is that it is a broken rock paper scissors game, cuz shield and grab always win! Grabs own too much, and shields let you attack or grab without getting damaged.
Sure Smash 64 is a bit polygonal, and has bowling alley sound effects, but it didn't have dumb characters, stupid infinites, ridiculous DI, lack of one player owning another, random effects, and boring defensive combat. Clearly Smash 64 is the better game, and that is why I still have Smash 64 hooked to my TV as my go-to choice for any Smash gaming.

i agree with almost everything you said definatly with the dumb characters part
I actually think that 64 is better than brawl but melee tops all but thats just my opinion
But they are all good games so

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I agree. I play N64 online project64k the lag is better than brawls, and the players are amazing even if there are only about 40 people at one time.
The lag might have something to do with the lack of people playong online.
I hardly have noticable lag when I play online and while there is a bit of a button delay that is expected in a ny fighting game where the game delays things so that people are where they are on screen.

I don't get lag very often unless I play on anybody and even then it isn't crippling.
When I play with anybody people who have an orange dot next to their name hardly lag for me either.

People do not take into consideration that Brawl is extrmely popular and you are often playing people on the otherside of the country.
If people really had any true understanding of what a laggy game was then they need to play BT3. Where you will lag against people playing next door.

i agree with almost everything you said definatly with the dumb characters part
The fact that anyone mentions this as a point of 64 being better than brawl is foolish.

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
64 took a lot of skill Rx-, why don't you back up your claims instead of calling people n00b. That gets no where, just because there is a brawl bandwagon right now because its a new game doesn't mean its better. Yeah more people play it, especially with the the internet being as prominent as it is now.

And please stop this "We thought the same thing with melee when that came out". Why do all of you pretend like you were competetive at 64, and got melee on release AND THEN discussed it on forums about how its not competetive. When OBVIOUSLY if you were good at 64, z-cancels short hops etc, you would already be decent at melee. The fact is most of you were young and played the games at parties, you did not play 64 competetively, and then get disappointed by melee. Seeing as most of your join dates are Feb 2008 its hard to believe you were "into" competetive smash prior to brawl. Stop reiterating what you've read through other posts, I hate wannabes jumping on the bandwagon thinking they're knowledgeable about a game.

If the characters were so imbalanced in 64, why could Isai 5 stock the best players in the world with Link the worst player on the tier list? The game took a lot of skill, way more than brawl does currently CURRENTLY emphasis on that word. Maybe brawl has a slim chance of being decent, but with the lack of hitstun I doubt it. Combos do not exist in brawl, maybe 1-2-3 hits cool but no more complete dominance of good players vs bad playes. And please don't post videos of combos noobs do against other noobs, they are escapable trust me.

rove

Smash Apprentice
In someways, your right, but overall, I think you just need to chill out and just go play SSB

Rash

Smash Ace
Smash 64 is a classic game. The memories I have with it (and that awesome commercial) will never be forgotten. That said, for me it serves one basic purpose; to be a nostalgia trip.

In fact, at this point I'd probably call Melee a nostalgia trip as well.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
The only thing I miss about 64 was Pikachu's fighting style. I hated Pikachu in Melee because he used his entire body to attack, rather than using his legs to do kicks and stuff. Actually, just watching SSB64 vids completely ruined my Pikachu in Brawl, because I miss his old fighting style so much. =(

PCHU

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon is more of a Captain than ever, and Snake...you can't talk about him.
He's done more stuff than Sonic has.
Leave Snake out of it, I'd like to see Sonic take the pain...

But yes, even though I've never played 64, I would have to say that Melee ties with Brawl, and 64 is like, right below them.
It was a great game to get smashers on their feet, prepping them for INSANE competition (Melee, anyone?), but it's not THAT great.

And you can't put Brawl down.
I mean, it may not have the best, but I think that the graphics rock.
The detail they put into the game, even checking the food's nutritional value...

So, for any smasher out there who thinks ANY smash sucks:
Can/will you do better if you tried to make your own?

OF COURSE NOT!
That took a lot of people, and a lot of time.
It may not be the best, but the SSE was the best smash Adventure mode I've seen.
And it was actually interesting, with all the betrayal.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0rF-zZ08Z3Y

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
i remember my main on 64 used to be pikachu. o the gud times. everything was balanced.
but i still love melee and brawl too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom