• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 VS. Brawl: Graphics Comparisons

R0Y

Smash Master
I don't know what it is, but Zelda looks 10 times better.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
After testing, I can confirm that the first pose is her transformation. Sadly, however, in Brawl, by the time she reaches anywhere near that frame, she's already turned completely white. The second pic does seem to resemble the down taunt, but not enough to get a good comparison shot.
Dammit, Sakurai...
That second pose is her assist trophy summoning pose. Said assist trophy should be spawned above her when she is in that pose in question, i'll go look for the pic i had a while back.
edit: here. Credit to @JamesDNaux once again for these screenshots.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
After testing, I can confirm that the first pose is her transformation. Sadly, however, in Brawl, by the time she reaches anywhere near that frame, she's already turned completely white. The second pic does seem to resemble the down taunt, but not enough to get a good comparison shot.
Dammit, Sakurai...
The second picture is her animation after releasing an Assist trophey. You can see it in brawl.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The Zelda ones don't look as amazing as the other comparisons. Her animations are probably hard to time.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The Zelda ones don't look as amazing as the other comparisons. Her animations are probably hard to time.
And plus, those Wii U/3DS pictures were taken by the developer of the game, so he's probably got some debug menu or something, so there's no limit to the poses he can put the characters in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Guys, talk about Zelda all you like but please avoid going into the Phantom/Sheik discussion. It will derail the thread. Badly.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I did my Sonic comparison. I didn't have a second person to help, so sorry for any inaccuracies. I would have liked to get more, but again, controlling to characters at once is difficult. I don't know how Sakurai does it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've never seen some of these pictures. Where did you find them?
The two 3DS ones that have no banner come from the official Nintendo 3DS UK Facebook page.

The Wii U screenshot with Peach is one I found on tumblr, but I don't know where it originally came from. I was told it was part of some zip file released to the press, but I don't know where that could be found, nor have I seen it posted anywhere else.

The two 3DS ones that have no banner come from the official Nintendo 3DS UK Facebook page.

The Wii U screenshot with Peach is one I found on tumblr, but I don't know where it originally came from. I was told it was part of some zip file released to the press, but I don't know where that could be found, nor have I seen it posted anywhere else.
That's a good find. I know I have seen some pictures that were part of a press release around last year too.

Can you link me to the UK page?

mimgrim

Smash Hero

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So I did my Sonic comparison. I didn't have a second person to help, so sorry for any inaccuracies. I would have liked to get more, but again, controlling to characters at once is difficult. I don't know how Sakurai does it.

Good stuff, I'll add it to the OP.
I know what you mean about controlling multiple characters at once, since I don't have anyone to help me with this either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I made a start on some Fox comparisons, I'll have them up tomorrow.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Good stuff, I'll add it to the OP.
I know what you mean about controlling multiple characters at once, since I don't have anyone to help me with this either.
And Sakurai controls like 4 at once no? Puts it all in perspective haha.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
I request Peach, her dress peplums and petticoats no longer looks as though they are just drawn on and seems more noticeable now. In this game, over Brawl.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, I'm REALLY glad Sakurai took out 06' Sonic, this Sonic looks much more sleeker and aerodynamic, of all characters, Sonic should never look stiff. He looked stupid and awkward with his mouth on the middle.

But I must say, Brawl Mario was pretty frickin' cool. That overall texture looked amazing.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
God, I'm REALLY glad Sakurai took out 06' Sonic, this Sonic looks much more sleeker and aerodynamic, of all characters, Sonic should never look stiff. He looked stupid and awkward with his mouth on the middle.

But I must say, Brawl Mario was pretty frickin' cool. That overall texture looked amazing.
Brawl Sonic was not '06 Sonic, it was just an original model to represent the Modern Sonic template. There are a lot of fundamental differences between Brawl Sonic and '06 Sonic, mainly the proportions and his colour. SSB4 Sonic actually has the colours of '06 Sonic, but the model looks similar to post-Unleashed Sonic.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl Sonic was not '06 Sonic, it was just an original model to represent the Modern Sonic template. There are a lot of fundamental differences between Brawl Sonic and '06 Sonic, mainly the proportions and his colour. SSB4 Sonic actually has the colours of '06 Sonic, but the model looks similar to post-Unleashed Sonic.
Are you sure about SSB4 Sonic having the same colors as 06' Sonic? 06' Sonic looked much more dull to me, this color scheme's closer to the one used on Unleashed and Generations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you sure about SSB4 Sonic having the same colors as 06' Sonic? 06' Sonic looked much more dull to me, this color scheme's closer to the one used on Unleashed and Generations.
In the CGI cutscenes, his colour was dark, but in-game, it was a light shade of blue, like SSB4 Sonic:

Anyway, here are my Fox comparison shots:

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
In the CGI cutscenes, his colour was dark, but in-game, it was a light shade of blue, like SSB4 Sonic:

True, true...but still, it works perfectly with the Unleashed design, I'll always be creeped out at Sonic's mouth being in the middle, it just looks so awkward.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I prefer side mouth myself, but I think Brawl is about the only game where I like the center mouth. They managed to make him look less creepy and more expressive with it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Anyway, here are my Fox comparison shots
You are a godsend. I like that you use Project: M for the unrestricted camera controls, but you even went the extra mile and lined up stuff like the Skyloft locations. One question though, how are you taking your screenshots? Your Brawl shots look better than mine, is that just from you using a higher resolution screen than me, or what? I've been using the in-game snapshots, saving them to my SD card, then converting them to .jpg format. Is that what you're doing, or do you use some form of capture card? Or are you just print screening on Dolphin? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You are a godsend. I like that you use Project: M for the unrestricted camera controls, but you even went the extra mile and lined up stuff like the Skyloft locations. One question though, how are you taking your screenshots? Your Brawl shots look better than mine, is that just from you using a higher resolution screen than me, or what? I've been using the in-game snapshots, saving them to my SD card, then converting them to .jpg format. Is that what you're doing, or do you use some form of capture card? Or are you just print screening on Dolphin? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
I just print screen from within Dolphin, using a native resolution of 1366x768. I don't switch on any other graphical enhancements though.

I'll get to doing Peach screenshots in a sec, as someone was asking for it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'll get to doing Peach screenshots in a sec, as someone was asking for it.
Cool, she's shown up in a few other character's comparisons as well, so it's been bugging me that I didn't have her officially up yet. I'll probably start Luigi and Pikachu on Monday. Should be easier for me, being more familiar with those characters than I am with some of the others.
*looks at Zelda*

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sonic comparison.png

I'm not really seeing much of Sonic '06 in his Brawl design. I think it's closer to Secret Rings (which was the most recent game at the time, and a Wii exclusive, no less). Of course, it's not exact. I think Brawl Sonic has his own little qualities that he could only have when designed by a team outside of Sega. Notice also that he still has the side-mouth in his official render, as if it only moves to the side when grinning. Personally, I like that neat little characteristic much more than the painted-on side-mouth smirk he's got going on now. I also like how Sonic characters' mouths used to disappear when they weren't using them, like Johnny Bravo or something. Whatever happened to that? It was cool.

Anyway, I've said it before, but I like Brawl Sonic more than Smash 4 Sonic. He's one of the few characters whose designs I prefer from the older game. Aside from the mouth, which isn't a problem to me, he doesn't look that bad in Brawl. He looks much more jagged and angular in Brawl. A lot of it can be chalked up to graphical differences, but it's still a nice quality. Sonic's too soft and rounded out these days, I think. It works on Classic Sonic, but not Modern. Brawl Sonic is sort of a blend of Sonic Adventure 2 and Secret Rings, if you ask me, which seems like a match made in heaven.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I prefer the Smash 4 model to the Brawl one, but I still like the Brawl one. His best model is the Unleashed model, though. It has the most polygons, and is the most expressive:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Honestly, I can't tell a difference between Sonic designs. Other than slight palate changes, he's always looked the same to me. However, I'm not a big Sonic fan, I've only ever played Heroes, Adventure DX, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Unleashed, and Sonic '06.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, I can't tell a difference between Sonic designs. Other than slight palate changes, he's always looked the same to me. However, I'm not a big Sonic fan, I've only ever played Heroes, Adventure DX, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Unleashed, and Sonic '06.
That's because his "design" has been the same since Sonic Adventure. It's just his model that's evolved. Stuff like the center mouth and spaghetti quills in past games were just the result of limited technology. The Unleashed model is what they've always been aiming for though, and is basically as good as the Modern design is ever going to look.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Apologies for the bump, but I got some Peach comparisons:

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
View attachment 11445

I'm not really seeing much of Sonic '06 in his Brawl design. I think it's closer to Secret Rings (which was the most recent game at the time, and a Wii exclusive, no less). Of course, it's not exact. I think Brawl Sonic has his own little qualities that he could only have when designed by a team outside of Sega. Notice also that he still has the side-mouth in his official render, as if it only moves to the side when grinning. Personally, I like that neat little characteristic much more than the painted-on side-mouth smirk he's got going on now. I also like how Sonic characters' mouths used to disappear when they weren't using them, like Johnny Bravo or something. Whatever happened to that? It was cool.

Anyway, I've said it before, but I like Brawl Sonic more than Smash 4 Sonic. He's one of the few characters whose designs I prefer from the older game. Aside from the mouth, which isn't a problem to me, he doesn't look that bad in Brawl. He looks much more jagged and angular in Brawl. A lot of it can be chalked up to graphical differences, but it's still a nice quality. Sonic's too soft and rounded out these days, I think. It works on Classic Sonic, but not Modern. Brawl Sonic is sort of a blend of Sonic Adventure 2 and Secret Rings, if you ask me, which seems like a match made in heaven.
I prefer the softer, sleeker Sonic design because Modern Sonic was always meant to be that way...and I prefer the way the mouth looks on Generations, where even when speaking, his mouth's on the side like it should be, gives him the same cartoony charm that Classic Sonic has (BTW, Classic Sonic as an alternate costume SHOULD HAPPEN). Also, one of the things I like the less about the 06'/Brawl design has to be the eye size, the slightly bigger eyes of the newer models give Sonic much more life, I feel like his brow was jutting out a bit too much on those designs.

Also, I never liked how edgy the adventure design felt, Sonic on those games was just too blocky (And I'm not talking about graphical differences, his design was more focused on looking spiky and edgy...while Unleashed softened him up a great deal).

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow. Peach got a lot animation tweets to make herself more expressive.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Comparison shots of everyone's favourite mouse, Pikachu!

EDIT: Just realised that @ BigHairyFart BigHairyFart wanted to do Pikachu, sorry about that! Feel free to do your own instead, as these could have been better.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Pikachu's really benefited from Wii Fit Trainer joining the roster.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Now for some Kirby comparisons!

And as a little bonus:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Melee one looks better than Smash 4 version.

Top Bottom