• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I think the 33 thing is fake. He has talked about balancing Captain Falcon's punch before. He's in the game which makes at least 35.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
And what's wrong with that? We're getting another character and he sounds awesome.
Most of my complaining comes from the fact that, to me, his 2D in game version (flat like G&W) is far superior to his 3D design.

But I'm sure we'll all get used to it after a while. He's real, it's done, so I have to get over it. :p

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/with_replies
PACMAN GODDAMIT. Why didn't they show it on E3 though
As a HUGE supporter of Lady Palutena and the only newcomer I actually SCREAMED for, yeah, Pac-Man was better suited for the digital event. Or even better, the Invitational.

This is an interesting tidbit- they announced Sonic in the same way. With a roundtable for Brawl back in 2007.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I think the 33 thing is fake. He has talked about balancing Captain Falcon's punch before. He's in the game which makes at least 35.
Ice Climbers have also been specifically mentioned. DON'T PANIC GUYS..... *shakes as he drags cigarette and drinks from the bottle*

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm going to remain in constant denial about this until pictures and a video are posted.

THEN, I will rage. Everybody, get your mugs.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Oh yeah guys, 33 characters. We've got the full roster right now. Wario, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, both Mother characters, R.O.B., Metaknight, ALL cut. Totally.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eh,Gematsu is at critical. It's either a big win or a big loss,we don't have Chorus Men or Shulk.

Eh,August Direct :troll:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Just cuz something isn't in For Flory doesn't mean we should ban it, still gotta try it first. i mean it can still be used with friends even for online events.
Well, For Glory I know they're banned.
Not sure about "For Flory" though. :upsidedown:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Since some people apparently can't count, let me just state again that we've got 34 so far.

Mii Fighter and Palutena brought it up to 32.

(Apparently)Pac-Man and Game & Watch brought it up to 34.

C'mon guys, seriously.

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
Just cuz something isn't in For Flory doesn't mean we should ban it, still gotta try it first. i mean it can still be used with friends even for online events.
Embarrass
FOR FLORY CONFIRMED!!!

Last edited:

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Yeah guys, believe the site that said that the last guardian was cancelled and reported it like full news without an actual source.

Also is it alredy over? Wasn't it like 90 minutes long

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Inb4 they announce that all Brawl and Melee characters will get amiibos, whether or not they're in the Smash 4 roster, you'll be able to play as them in Smash if you have their amiibo

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
Q: why are character tansformations removed?

A: we want people to focus on single characters more deeply

Q3: any plans for the competitive scene moving forward

Q: what plans does Ninty have for the smash tourney scene?

A: Sakurai doesn't work with the competive events directly. he loves the fans and will keep an eye on it

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm already at Hypetown,guys.

What? You're taking the Hype Train?

I took the Hype Subway :troll:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh, and here's the details from said roundtable (for those who are lazy).
From Nintendo Everything:

Pac-Man
- Pac-Man confirmed for the new Super Smash Bros.
- 8-bit moves for the character
- Pac-Man 3DS stage confirmed
- Pac-Man turns into an 8-bit version
- Pac-Man is normally his character from Pac-Man World
- Sakurai wanted to make retro Pac-Man, but the standard is PacLand PacMan
- Pac-Man throws fruit and eats Pac-Dots
- Game & Watch is back
- Pac-Man turns into pizza style after recovery move
- Pac-Man have a triple up bmove.
- Seems to have an attack where he uses the ghosts, throws fruit, and even places a fire hydrant on the ground

Character customization

- Sakurai talks about adjusting fighting style of character
- each character has 12 special variations
- You can select amongst 3 moves for each special attack slot
- Mario has a fireball, a fast fireball, and a fire orb; not usable in For Glory
- Palutena is different; she has unique special attacks; not derivative
- Characters can equip items that increase attack, defense and speed, but there are checks and balances
- Equipment also modifies characters by adjusting their balance
- Make a character quicker but then they are weaker
- You can change clothing if your Mii
- Each fighter type has its own wardrobe to select from
- Mii Fighters cannot be used in With Anyone mode online
- Can be used With Friends

Wii U/3DS connectivity

- You can carry customized characters through Wii U and 3DS
- Smash Run is easier to acquire unique items
- Smash Run is designed to help collect items/upgrades. These can be transferred to the Wii U game.

Figures

- FO stands for Figure Player. Users do not control them.
- figurines show up as FP (figure player) and are computer controlled. they can level up to 50. will learn your tendencies. better than level 9 cpus
- Figures will learntheir opponents tactics and adjust over time. They can also use items.
- FP are basically better computer players. can also be used as tag team players in matches
- Sakurai says you don’t have to get every single figure but he will
- Sakurai wants players to think of figures as their partners in battle. Sakurai says you don’t need to collect them all. But he will.

Smash Run

- Sakurai is shifting to discuss smash run. The field is random.
- Sakurai is picking Donkey Kong for Smash Run. he is playing it.
- You pick up powers that you can use in battle via the touch screen.
- There is a jet pack item.
- Warp lets you jump to a different area of the map in smash run - Smash Run can end with a regular battle, a throwing contest or a running contest

There could be more along the way.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone think we'll get some more Pokemon news tomorrow? Either way, I'm excited to see what Pac-Man can do. I hope he has the design from Pac-Man World myself honestly.

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
Our own Justin Berube is asking about balancing the game. he also wants the Ice Climbers back.
:colorful:

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
According to Nintendo, Pac-Man is the 33rd playable character announced for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Pac-Man was revealed at the developer roundtable tonight with Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the popular fighting game franchise.

Ign goofed before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I bet tonight's Pic of the Day will be saying Pac-Man is in.

Also, Mario can't shoot Megavitamins? Huh. Sounds like "no Dr. Mario costume then" at this point. Since that's kind of... what makes the character notable anyway.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Huh, he says the game is balanced with items, FFA, and 1v1 in mind and the balance may be different for them... Hmm, it's almost like everyone should know that and that;s why 1v1 tier lists aren't magically all perfect matchups...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh, and questions.

Q: why would you want to release the different versions far apart?
A: Biggest reason is debug process. it is a really big game. They need several hundred testers and splitting the release gives them more time to space it out

Q: why are character transformations removed?
A: we want people to focus on single characters more deeply

Q: any plans for the competitive scene moving forward?
A: Sakurai doesn’t work with the competitive events directly. he loves the fans and will keep an eye on it

Q: Concern over balance after brawl's problems. A: it gets very technical. Sakurai was responsible for the changes from N64 to Melee. He had to use a broader grading system with help from staff when working on Brawl. The process became tricky due to biases in the graders' playing style. For the new games they have 12 graders, but there could still be balance anomolies.

A: it gets very technical. Sakurai was responsible for the changes from N64 to Melee. He had to use a broader grading system with help from staff when working on Brawl. The process became tricky due to biases in the graders’ playing style. For the new games they have 12 graders, but there could still be balance anomalies.

When creating a game, we cannot just appeal to traditional fanbases. We need to reach out to new gamers, and cater to many target users.

Sakurai points out some chars are better suited for 2 vs 4 player and with or without items. Sakurai considers smash a party game.

Q: you games have a stylish menu design. What is your philosophy on menu design?
A: In famitsu magazine he has written a whole page on that topic. The important items have to be big--words or icon, but eadily understood.
Sakurai loves menus. he writes a column for Famitsu and wrote all about it already there. He makes the important menu items big. doesn't need to be words but need to be easily understood.
He says to read his article.

A competitive Smash player is trying to challenge Sakurai to see if he can win and help balance the game. Sakurai asked "have you ever made a game?"

Q: when was Greninja chosen to be added? When did they decide to include Greninja?

A: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.

Our own Jonny Metts asking about online in Smash Bros.
Q: online was broken in Brawl. How ensuring online experience will be good this time?
(Last question btw)

Sakurai believe he gave players too much choice in Brawl online. seems to have misunderstood intent of question.

In new game, they are giving more solidified options. Its tough to keep all 4 players synced up. Sakurai says to try to get strongest WiFi connection possible.

ith brawl the players could set up everything, with freedom. But we learned that some folks team up or play differently, making it difficult for all to enjoy. There is a reporting system. As far as technical connection issues, we're still working on it. They use async communication in Mario Kart and other games to improve this, but that doesn't work well for fighting games. So there is cascading failure, especially for four players. That is why they ask people to have the best communication system available (eg a LAN adapter)

...And now, Smash Invitational footage. A highlight reel to be specific. Sakurai enjoyed it. Though a tad nervous.
And yes, he predicted ZSS > Kirby.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah,Yeah,that's good in all.

But I want more on G&W personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom