• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sonic Lost World did not bomb. Have you even tried the DLC for it?
It had very mixed reception. I haven't even played the game, and the DLC that is completely unrelated to the main game really doesn't justify the game sucking - to be honest, it just makes me want a real Mario & Sonic game.

It did sell well, though, I think.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
It had very mixed reception. I haven't even played the game, and the DLC that is completely unrelated to the main game really doesn't justify the game sucking - to be honest, it just makes me want a real Mario & Sonic game.

It did sell well, though, I think.

If I understood the sales data right (and I might not have) it sold better than we expected, but not "Great".

The DLC is easily far and away the best part of the game, but... it's PART of the GAME, so if you don't like the rest of the game, it's not quite worth it for two levels.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It sounds like how to say "no." in a sarcastic way.
Also,I might have to contact D. Wolf,I got a new episode for Law and Order : SVU. My ears have become **** victims.
Ironically enough he's not terrible, he's done some decent LPs every now and then.
He's just loud. Really loud. Oh dear Lord is he loud. I can't stress that enough.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
What's not to get? It's an upcoming game. People like to speculate.

I can't talk about the game after release because I'm too busy playing the game. Plus I have real life to tend to.
But ya gotta stay around so you can play the game with us :p.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not gonna lie, but Lyric looks badass and it's about time we see more reptiles in the Sonic universe. I just hope that he's even better than the Deadly Six and Dark Gaia altogether. Also, he should be a bigger threat than Eggman to have more contrasts between the two.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'll skip on ridiculously loud, I can find a reasonably volume lets play if I wanted to watch one. Or I could go on wikipedia, read the storyline in 5 minutes, and not waste hours watching a let's play. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh wait, nevermind, now I see it.

Now I remember. That trope really is in almost every movie, huh?
Hardly in every movie, but it's in a lot.

The point of it is is that a hero isn't about defeating bad guys, it's about saving people, good or bad. Because it's still the right thing to do. That's a true hero. This actually shows up quite a bit in Power Rangers, many many times. Off the top of my head, Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers in Space, Power Rangers Time Force, Power Rangers Wild Force, Power Rangers Ninja Storm, Power Rangers Dino Thunder(somewhat subverted as those characters aren't villains anymore by that time due to changing their physical form), Power Rangers Mystic Force, Power Rangers Jungle Fury, Power Rangers R.P.M., and that's about it. Technically, also applies in the first movie(non-canon). Where they accidentally save Rita and Zedd from Ooze by freezing them after defeating the gooey monstrosity.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hardly in every movie, but it's in a lot.

The point of it is is that a hero isn't about defeating bad guys, it's about saving people, good or bad. Because it's still the right thing to do. That's a true hero. This actually shows up quite a bit in Power Rangers, many many times. Off the top of my head, Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers in Space, Power Rangers Time Force, Power Rangers Wild Force, Power Rangers Ninja Storm, Power Rangers Dino Thunder(somewhat subverted as those characters aren't villains anymore by that time due to changing their physical form), Power Rangers Mystic Force, Power Rangers Jungle Fury, Power Rangers R.P.M., and that's about it. Technically, also applies in the first movie(non-canon). Where they accidentally save Rita and Zedd from Ooze by freezing them after defeating the gooey monstrosity.
I was thinking specifically of when the hero spares the villain, and then the villain uses the opportunity to attempt on the hero's life, thus reinforcing that the hero is good, and the villain is bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was thinking specifically of when the hero spares the villain, and then the villain uses the opportunity to attempt on the hero's life, thus reinforcing that the hero is good, and the villain is bad.
That's a completely different scenario.

That also happens even less than just purely saving the villain. Hell, it almost never happens in PR period. Closest is if you consider the original Magna Defender a villain, as he got rescued a lot, but attacked the Rangers. He eventually turned good, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's more or less the ending to beauty and the beast where beast instead of killing gaston tells him to leave, but when his back is turned gaston leaps on beast and stabs him with a dagger.

Although when beast kills gaston after that, it's more like beast flailing around than deliberately killing him

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's a completely different scenario.

That also happens even less than just purely saving the villain. Hell, it almost never happens in PR period. Closest is if you consider the original Magna Defender a villain, as he got rescued a lot, but attacked the Rangers. He eventually turned good, though.
Well, like I mentioned, I only remember one real example.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/first-gameplay-of-sonic-boom-surfaces/
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/to-no-ones-surprise-both-sonic-boom-games-confirmed-for-e3/

I, for one, love everything I just saw and am 100% hyped and looking forward to this game. This is pretty much looking like the big change I've wanted this series to go with for a long time and has everything I could possibly want in a Sonic game. (Well, except Blaze being playable, but beggars can't be choosers.)

While everyone else gripes, moans and whines about what it isn't, I'm just going to keep loving it for what it is.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I never got into the new Mortal Kombat. I liked the comical, ridiculous, self-aware violence in the older arcade games.

MK9's violence is nothing short of sick. I couldn't play it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I never got into the new Mortal Kombat. I liked the comical, ridiculous, self-aware violence in the older arcade games.

MK9's violence is nothing short of sick. I couldn't play it.
Mortal Kombat 9's violence was "sick" as in "awesome" or "sick" as in "grotesque"? I mean, it is Mortal Kombat, the violence is certainly self-aware and it is intended to be comical. That is kind of what Mortal Kombat is all about.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My only issue with 9 is how most of the characters went from reasonably dressed to all extremely revealing clothing. :|

I don't mind the gore or anything. It's MK, enough said. I mean, the older games are so pathetic that you don't need to be an adult to play 'em at all, but still.

It is far more over the top than previous games, so I can understand some being squeamish about it, respectively.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mortal Kombat 9's violence was "sick" as in "awesome" or "sick" as in "grotesque"? I mean, it is Mortal Kombat, the violence is certainly self-aware and it is intended to be comical. That is kind of what Mortal Kombat is all about.
I feel like you could deduce I meant it was grotesque by my previous statement that I couldn't get into it.

It doesn't seem comical to me. It is just a bit too far in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like you could deduce I meant it was grotesque by my previous statement that I couldn't get into it.

It doesn't seem comical to me. It is just a bit too far in my opinion.
I would just like to point out that it (Mortal Kombat) is exactly the same as the arcade days, the difference? The graphics. They are more realistic as of current and they are much more excessive. So some people cannot handle that or they interpret it differently (I would assert for good reason as many fatalities used to have the player explode into bones, but that would be utterly ridiculous in HD).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would just like to point out that it (Mortal Kombat) is exactly the same as the arcade days, the difference? The graphics. They are more realistic as of current and they are much more excessive. So some people cannot handle that or they interpret it differently (I would assert for good reason as many fatalities used to have the player explode into bones, but that would be utterly ridiculous in HD).
Not exactly. The X-Ray stuff is very new in itself and didn't start till 9. That went way farther than the previous versions and while people couldn't somewhat easily handle seeing the outer stuff, the inner stuff gives a whole new level of "ew" overall. To be honest, I wasn't too much of a fan of the idea. It was fine without it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Exactly. Though it's not just the graphics. The sounds contribute to it as well. And that's the issue I have with it, really. I don't think the violence translates well to such a realistic game without being really distasteful.

Besides, most of the fatalities I've seen in that game aren't that great anyway. My favorite fatality ever is probably the one where Sub-Zero freezes the enemy, removes their head, then uses it as a projectile to shatter their body. Classic.

That being said, I don't like the series in general, esp. the new one based on it's @ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth portrayal of women.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not exactly. The X-Ray stuff is very new in itself and didn't start till 9. That went way farther than the previous versions and while people couldn't somewhat easily handle seeing the outer stuff, the inner stuff gives a whole new level of "ew" overall. To be honest, I wasn't too much of a fan of the idea. It was fine without it.
Ah, I had forgotten about the X-Rays. Those are usually boring compared to the fatalities. I mean, if someone can handle a fatality... I am positive that they can handle a little bit of text-book human anatomy. Maybe I just think it is more "ew" to see Reptile spit acid down an esophagus than it is to see a knee cap break.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah, I had forgotten about the X-Rays. Those are usually boring compared to the fatalities. I mean, if someone can handle a fatality... I am positive that they can handle a little bit of text-book human anatomy. Maybe I just think it is more "ew" to see Reptile spit acid down an esophagus than it is to see a knee cap break.
Honestly, I found the fatalities better than before, but less "ew" overall. You barely see the insides of people, or at least not to the same degree.

Not sure why, to be honest. Fatalities are just less gross to me than X-Rays.

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly. Though it's not just the graphics. The sounds contribute to it as well. And that's the issue I have with it, really. I don't think the violence translates well to such a realistic game without being really distasteful.

Besides, most of the fatalities I've seen in that game aren't that great anyway. My favorite fatality ever is probably the one where Sub-Zero freezes the enemy, removes their head, then uses it as a projectile to shatter their body. Classic.

That being said, I don't like the series in general, esp. the new one based on it's @ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth portrayal of women.
That is understandable, it does not cater to everyone. I have always adopted that mentality that you must discern video-games from reality; therefore, I do not personally see the issue. I really loved Noob Saibot ripping the loser in half though. One of my favorites.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That is understandable, it does not cater to everyone. I have always adopted that mentality that you must discern video-games from reality; therefore, I do not personally see the issue. I really loved Noob Saibot ripping the loser in half though. One of my favorites.
No, you don't understand, I can tolerate violence. I just don't see the point in it.
It doesn't really interest me, especially given that the series is so popular.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm going to die in SEVEN DAYS. :troll:

Bad movie references aside, I told my wife that I will be entirely useless on Nintendo's E3 day. she actually was quite understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom